Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

rajtakhar

Sep 29, 2008, 2:09:55 PM9/29/08
The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
written for, the other is a console/UMPC

Check the data here:
http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/

Hadron

Sep 29, 2008, 2:30:35 PM9/29/08
rajtakhar <sukhra...@hotmail.com> writes:

This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.

But back to the article : firstly the Ubuntu is, as you say, terribly
unoptimised and fairly useless on a device this size.

Secondly why are you so certain something running Quake 2 is so cool?
Quake 2 is more than ten years old.

--
"Maybe he knows where the body is because he saw where
it was put." -- "Rick" defending Hans Reiser (his hero) in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 29, 2008, 3:17:00 PM9/29/08
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:30:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> rajtakhar <sukhra...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
>> games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
>> written for, the other is a console/UMPC
>>
>> Check the data here:
>>
> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
>
> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
> into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
> videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.

Same problem here.
Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
Weird.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Jerry McBride

Sep 29, 2008, 8:23:46 PM9/29/08
Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:30:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> rajtakhar <sukhra...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
>>> games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
>>> written for, the other is a console/UMPC
>>>
>>> Check the data here:
>>>
>> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
>>
>> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
>> into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
>> videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.
>
> Same problem here.
> Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
> It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
> Weird.

Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you should stop
pressing the reset button....

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

20:23:05 up 2 days, 40 min, 5 users, load average: 0.33, 0.13, 0.04

Hadron

Sep 29, 2008, 9:14:04 PM9/29/08
Jerry McBride <jmcb...@mail-on.us> writes:

> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

>>> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
>>>
>>> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
>>> into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
>>> videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.
>>
>> Same problem here.
>> Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
>> It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
>> Weird.
>>

> Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you should stop
> pressing the reset button....

Following a reboot it works fine now. Machine had been up for a long
time. Maybe something had got tired.

Actually its a smart little device. But I wish they waited and ot these
things really working before bigging them up. its got openMoko written
all over it. The problem? The brains see the "problem as solved" as
wander off leaving a half finished buggy mess.

Only time will tell.

--
"I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee <grin>"
-- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 29, 2008, 10:27:22 PM9/29/08
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 03:14:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Jerry McBride <jmcb...@mail-on.us> writes:
>
>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

>>> Same problem here.
>>> Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
>>> It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
>>> Weird.
>>>

>> Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you should stop
>> pressing the reset button....
>
> Following a reboot it works fine now. Machine had been up for a long
> time. Maybe something had got tired.

Not here:

from a terminal window

moshe@linuxdaw:~$ firefox
Segmentation fault
moshe@linuxdaw:~$ uname -a
Linux linuxdaw 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 22:56:21 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

It seems that the page loads weird.

High Plains Thumper

Oct 1, 2008, 4:36:31 AM10/1/08
Jerry McBride wrote:
> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
>>>
>>> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried
>>> to load it into a new browser. When I opened it in a new
>>> tab I saw the embedded videos and clicking them caused
>>> firefox to vanish/crash again.
>>
>> Same problem here. Crashed when I clicked on his profile. It
>> doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
>> Weird.
>
> Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you
> should stop pressing the reset button....

Using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Firefox 3.0.3... Yes, FireFox task goes
down. Reported in Bugzilla as Bug 458003.

Hadron claims to actively report bugs and criticise me for
failing to. Did not see see this reported by him or any other.

--
HPT

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 1, 2008, 12:47:11 PM10/1/08

Does it happen every time or only intermittantly?
Do you notice that the page loads weird?
IOW it kind of fills in what was previously displaying on FF.

I've never seen anything like it to be honest.
Pages either work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.

High Plains Thumper

Oct 1, 2008, 8:46:53 PM10/1/08
Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Firefox 3.0.3... Yes, FireFox task
>> goes down. Reported in Bugzilla as Bug 458003.
>>
>> Hadron claims to actively report bugs and criticise me for
>> failing to. Did not see see this reported by him or any
>> other.
>
> Does it happen every time or only intermittantly?

Something at the end of the document, a link to another site is
causing the crash. If it is holding, times out, then stays up.
If call succeeds, it goes down.

> Do you notice that the page loads weird? IOW it kind of fills
> in what was previously displaying on FF.

No, otherwise seems to load fine.

Now this is another wierd one. Click on the person's picture to
see profile, if right click and select "Load in a separate
window", profile comes up fine. If tab opening is enable, it
goes down if it did not previously.

What is wierd is I have been using FF for past several years
without any problems. It has been more stable than Internet
Explorer and loads pages faster.

Hopefully the bug report will assist them to sort things out.

> I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Pages either
> work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.

Page has HTML errors within it, some of them are interesting but
would be better for others to see for themselves:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk%2F

[quote]
Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
Result: 29 Errors
Address: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
Encoding: iso-8859-1
Doctype: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Root Element: html
Root Namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
[ ] Show Source
[ ] Show Outline
[X] List Messages Sequentially
[ ] Group Error Messages by Type
[ ] Validate error pages
[ ] Verbose Output
[ ] Clean up Markup with HTML Tidy

Validation Output: 29 Errors
[/quote]

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 1, 2008, 8:56:00 PM10/1/08
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:46:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Something at the end of the document, a link to another site is
> causing the crash. If it is holding, times out, then stays up.
> If call succeeds, it goes down.

> Now this is another wierd one. Click on the person's picture to

> see profile, if right click and select "Load in a separate
> window", profile comes up fine. If tab opening is enable, it
> goes down if it did not previously.

Same thing here.
Firefox 3.03.

> What is wierd is I have been using FF for past several years
> without any problems. It has been more stable than Internet
> Explorer and loads pages faster.

That is my experience as well.
I also like Opera.

> Hopefully the bug report will assist them to sort things out.
>
>> I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Pages either
>> work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.
>
> Page has HTML errors within it, some of them are interesting but
> would be better for others to see for themselves:
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk%2F
>
> [quote]
> Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
> Result: 29 Errors
> Address: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
> Encoding: iso-8859-1
> Doctype: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> Root Element: html
> Root Namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
> [ ] Show Source
> [ ] Show Outline
> [X] List Messages Sequentially
> [ ] Group Error Messages by Type
> [ ] Validate error pages
> [ ] Verbose Output
> [ ] Clean up Markup with HTML Tidy
>
> Validation Output: 29 Errors
> [/quote]

Great detective work HPT!
I thought that page was funky because the first time it bombed but then it
worked and then bombed again later.

Good catch!

Hadron

Oct 1, 2008, 9:27:20 PM10/1/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

Yup. Good to see something positive done. And meanwhile the loons
claimed I was lying. Works for them!

LOL.

--
"It's perhaps inevitable that some professionals would paint their status
as being somehow superior to those of the amateurs, after all, they're

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 1, 2008, 9:44:53 PM10/1/08

Yea....
The idea is to get the page or firefox working and claiming it works when
it doesn't is not helping anyone.

So now we have HPT doing some good Linux advocacy and Marti doing some
pretty good music.

What's next??

Hadron

Oct 1, 2008, 10:03:43 PM10/1/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick....@gmail.com> writes:

Phil Da Tard will use Linux at work? Mark Kent will quit BT and
advocating IP for his work? Roy will, err, get a job?

--
"Fuck you, you lying bitch. "
-- Rick <no...@nomail.com> in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moshe Goldfarb.

Oct 1, 2008, 11:40:40 PM10/1/08

I heard through the grapevine that Roy was less than thrilling down in
Brazil.

IOW a complete bore....