Microsoft and Xen vs. VMWare?

Tim Smith

Apr 3, 2006, 9:00:51 PM4/3/06

OK, things are getting weird...

--
--Tim Smith

B Gruff

Apr 3, 2006, 9:04:06 PM4/3/06
On Tuesday 04 April 2006 02:00 Tim Smith wrote:

> OK, things are getting weird...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/03/ms_virtual_free/

Erik Funkenbusch

Apr 3, 2006, 9:13:08 PM4/3/06
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 01:00:51 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:

> OK, things are getting weird...

Lol. You mean, Microsoft cooperating with Xen against VMware, who recently
released their player and server products for free?

Rick

Apr 3, 2006, 9:52:34 PM4/3/06
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 01:00:51 +0000, Tim Smith wrote:

> OK, things are getting weird...

... I think I'll stay with VMWare...

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Linonut

Apr 4, 2006, 7:27:41 AM4/4/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

No, he means

"Today's moves show quite clearly that Microsoft knows it has an
inferior product at the moment and needs to stop customers from
defecting to VMware and Xen and to stop potential customers from
experimenting with the rival virtualization packages. Without a
hypervisor-based product, Microsoft can't come close to matching Xen
on performance and it's years behind VMware from a product maturity
standpoint. Microsoft can really only cater to mid-market customers,
which happens to be a huge market in the Windows arena."

Grin.

--
Kreegah! Bundolo Microsoft bolgani!

Erik Funkenbusch

Apr 4, 2006, 1:41:38 PM4/4/06
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 06:27:41 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> No, he means
>
> "Today's moves show quite clearly that Microsoft knows it has an
> inferior product at the moment and needs to stop customers from
> defecting to VMware and Xen and to stop potential customers from
> experimenting with the rival virtualization packages. Without a
> hypervisor-based product, Microsoft can't come close to matching Xen
> on performance and it's years behind VMware from a product maturity
> standpoint. Microsoft can really only cater to mid-market customers,
> which happens to be a huge market in the Windows arena."
>
> Grin.

Oh, I agree, actually. I prefer VMWare over MS's product. The poing,
however, was that this was just a reaction to VMWare's actions.

Mark Kent

Apr 5, 2006, 1:54:34 AM4/5/06
begin oe_protect.scr
B Gruff <bbg...@yahoo.co.uk> espoused:

> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 02:00 Tim Smith wrote:
>

>> OK, things are getting weird...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/03/ms_virtual_free/

The Xen folk are dead, then. Dance with the Devil, anyone?

If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.

arachnid

Apr 5, 2006, 5:54:56 PM4/5/06

Gonna be interesting to see how WPA is affected by virtualization. :o)