[News] Asustek's GNU/Linux Desktops Are Coming Next Week

Roy Schestowitz

May 27, 2008, 9:26:16 AM5/27/08

Asus to release desktop Eee PC on June 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, riding high on the success of its ultra-portable Eee PC,
| Asus revealed plans to launch a whole family of Eee products including a
| small form-factor desktop machine dubbed the E-DT.
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/30191-asus-to-release-desktop-eee-pc-on-june-3.html

Linux only. Then, there are all those motherboards with Linux on them. Over ten
million to be sold per year!

How can Microsoft respond? The XP Dumping Programme at $18 apiece is available
for artificially-crippled laptops only.

Recent:

Linux is Part of Asus’s Long Term Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus announced three new Linux products.
|
| I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
| may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
| masses.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/02/linux-is-part-of-asuss-long-term-plan/

Asus' little Eee 900 laptop is a big improvement over its predecessor

,----[ Quote ]
| When the original Eee PC came out last year, Asus pretty much had the
| ultra-portable laptop market to itself, and the funky little Linux machine
| was a huge hit.
|
| [...]
|
| I tested a Windows XP model to see how much it differed from the original
| Linux model.
|
| I much prefer the Linux.
`----

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/ptech/stories/DN-p2techreview_16bus.ART.State.Edition1.46ae175.html
http://tinyurl.com/5z2nm2

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Hadron

May 27, 2008, 9:41:26 AM5/27/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:

> Asus to release desktop Eee PC on June 3
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Earlier this year, riding high on the success of its ultra-portable Eee PC,
> | Asus revealed plans to launch a whole family of Eee products including a
> | small form-factor desktop machine dubbed the E-DT.
> `----
>
> http://www.techspot.com/news/30191-asus-to-release-desktop-eee-pc-on-june-3.html
>
> Linux only. Then, there are all those motherboards with Linux on them. Over ten
> million to be sold per year!
>
> How can Microsoft respond? The XP Dumping Programme at $18 apiece is available
> for artificially-crippled laptops only.
>

> Recent:
>
> Linux is Part of Asus’s Long Term Plan
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Asus announced three new Linux products.
> |
> | I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
> | may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
> | masses.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/02/linux-is-part-of-asuss-long-term-plan/
>

> Asus' little Eee 900 laptop is a big improvement over its predecessor

Why do you quote such obvious arseholes? Here is a quote from the
preening bighead:

,----
| I am expecting a check from Asus for the idea behind the TV-Computer,
| because I already said that someone should make a Linux-based computer
| to be connected to your TV
`----

LOL!

What a visionary!

Martha Adams

May 27, 2008, 10:43:47 AM5/27/08

"Hadron" <hadro...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> writes:
>
>> Asus to release desktop Eee PC on June 3
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Earlier this year, riding high on the success of its ultra-portable
>> Eee PC,
>> | Asus revealed plans to launch a whole family of Eee products
>> including a
>> | small form-factor desktop machine dubbed the E-DT.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.techspot.com/news/30191-asus-to-release-desktop-eee-pc-on-june-3.html
>>
>> Linux only. Then, there are all those motherboards with Linux on
>> them. Over ten
>> million to be sold per year!

<snip including some illiterate craptext>

That's interesting, and it's encouraging. However. I'd buy a laptop
because I cannot integrate a system as nicely as a well done
laptop is made. However, for a desktop, I buy generic parts (and
probably use an old-looking box). Thus I get utility that does not
look valuable, a wise provision these days. And by using generic
parts (and boards and power supply) I don't get tripped up by a
manufacturer's clever vendor lockin provisions. So generalizing
from my own experience, I wonder if Asus can do as well in the
desktop market as in the laptop market?

Anyhow, more Linux from Asus can only be good. I'm about to
make up a new machine, and I'll be looking for an Asus
motherboard.

Titeotwawki -- mha [comp.os.linux.advocacy 2008 May 27]

Rex Ballard

May 27, 2008, 12:43:21 PM5/27/08
On May 27, 9:26 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com>
wrote:

> Asus to release desktop Eee PC on June 3
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Earlier this year, riding high on the success of its ultra-portable Eee PC,
> | Asus revealed plans to launch a whole family of Eee products including a
> | small form-factor desktop machine dubbed the E-DT.
> `----
>
> http://www.techspot.com/news/30191-asus-to-release-desktop-eee-pc-on-...

> Linux only. Then, there are all those motherboards with Linux on them. Over ten
> million to be sold per year!
>
> How can Microsoft respond?
> The XP Dumping Programme at $18 apiece is available
> for artificially-crippled laptops only.

Don't underestimate Microsoft. They do have tactics, which they have
been allowed to continue to use under the Bush administration, which
makes it very hard for Linux to establish a strong foothold in the OEM
distribution channel.

This isn't the first time a motherboard maker has offered Linux as
part of their package. The first time, that I can remember, was back
in 1999, when COREL offered a motherboard maker Linux licenses at 50
cents/board, and millions of these motherboards were ordered by OEMs
and Kiosk dealers alike. The problem was that Microsoft's OEM license
agreement forbade ANY interference with the Microsoft controlled boot
sequence. Furthermore, the OEM licenses were sold in bulk, which
meant that selling a machine without Windows didn't save you any
money. In fact, if you didn't meet your minimum commitment order, you
could even LOSE money, since the discounts you received depended on
your ability to honor a minimum commitment order, usually calculated
to be far more licenses than you could actually sell with the
machines.

Since the licenses were non-transferable, the OEMs couldn't sell them
to other OEMs or retailers. Since Microsoft maintained tight-fisted
control over the configuration, the OEMs couldn't pre-install the
Linux OS, and were even forbidden from enclosing the Linux
distribution disk provided by the Board maker, as part of their
configuration.

Microsoft has become very successful by aggressively and creatively
enforcing their copyright, trademark, and logo licenses, and using
these licenses and rights to control what can be said about Microsoft,
what can be said about competitors, and what can done with the
licensed products. This aggressive use of these licenses, almost
since the first days of the "Revised Copyright Act of 1976", which
went into effect in 1977, were critical to the success of Microsoft.

One of the problems for Linux is that there isn't anywhere near as
much aggressive protection of copyrights, trademarks, logos, and
patents. I know the cash register runs Linux, but the only way to
know for certain is to see the cash register "reboot", which very
rarely happens, because Linux is so reliable.

About 80% of the web sites use Linux and/or UNIX as part of the server
solution, yet only Microsoft demands that it's logo be displayed on
the web page, even if it's only playing a minor role in the overall
service being performed.

This year, however, Microsoft has a big problem. Vista isn't a "hot
seller" and the OEMs know it. Microsoft has been able to make
misleading but not illegal statements to the SEC in it's filings, by
claiming that the XP sales were actually "upgrades to Vista Business
Edition" that were then downgraded to XP Professional. The OEMs
aren't stupid. They know that these PCs are shipping with XP
Professional, and they know that if Microsoft tries to pull the plug
on XP, that Mac and ASUS could become the new dominant players, with
OS/X and Linux based desktop machines and laptop machines that are
"good enough" to compete with Vista.

Corporations still hate Vista, and many have adopted corporate
policies banning the deployment of Vista within the corporation. Many
corporations have also opted to purchase permanent licenses to XP
which will allow them to deploy XP on employee machines.

Microsoft may end up in a very weak position at the bargaining table
as the negotiations for the OEM licenses resume in June. They may
find that OEMS are unwilling to put up with any more hostility toward
Linux, possibly even requesting a "VM License" at a price $2-3 more
than the current OEM licenses, so that they can install Windows XP Pro
(or Vista Business Downgrade) as a VM rather than as the primary OS.

If the Democrats take back the White House, Microsoft will still be on
the skewer, and it's very likely that one of the first acts of the new
Attorney General will be to demand an extension of the settlement, and
replacement of most of the compliance officers and technical board,
and a much more aggressive enforcement of the actual rulings of the
Appellate court, including demands that Microsoft stop interfering
with OEM efforts to include LInux in their desktop and laptop
offerings.

The EU is also getting MORE aggressive, not less, and has been
watching very carefully as Microsoft attempts to intimidate and bully
government officials into dropping mandates to distribute official
documents in Open Document Format, rather than in MS-Office
proprietary formats.

> Recent:
>
> Linux is Part of Asus’s Long Term Plan
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Asus announced three new Linux products.
> |
> | I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
> | may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
> | masses.
> `----
>

> http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/02/linux-is-part-of-asuss-long-...

> Asus' little Eee 900 laptop is a big improvement over its predecessor

I've seen the EEE 900, and also the new HP 10 inch laptop. Both are
very limited as Windows machines, but entirely functional as Linux
machines. Given that these machines are often purchased as "second"
computers, that can be used on airplanes, restaurants, and other
venues where a heavy laptop isn't practical, the Linux laptop is
proving to be the ideal mix between PDA, Cell Phone, and Laptop
computer, at a price that is competitive with most PDAs and "Smart"
Cell Phones.

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | When the original Eee PC came out last year, Asus pretty much had the
> | ultra-portable laptop market to itself, and the funky little Linux machine
> | was a huge hit.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | I tested a Windows XP model to see how much it differed from the original
> | Linux model.
> |
> | I much prefer the Linux.
> `----

I went to J&R to look at the XP version, it was seriously
disfunctional. The Linux version had games, a full office suite, and
media applications as well as a number of other good educational
programs. The Windows version was just a bare-bones Windows XP
system, with minimal functionality. I think it had Works on it, which
is pretty minimal as well. Since it gobbled up nearly all of the
storage, there wasn't much room for personal documents.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/ptech/stories/DN-p2te...http://tinyurl.com/5z2nm2

> Feeling the heat at Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
> | competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall. If I ask
> | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
> |
> | Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly have
> | to go with that.
> `----

Open Source and Linux-based technology has been creating chaos for
Microsoft lately. At this point, corporations are not willing to pay
big bucks to upgrade their exisitng Microsoft software, and are
looking elsewhere for "new and improved" technologies. Vista might
appeal to the Game market, but the corporate market is looking for
ways to get WORK done better. Linux has collaboration tools that
Microsoft still can't beat. OSS software such as FireFox, OpenOffice,
and collaboration solutions such as CVS, Thunderbird, and other OSS
applications are now putting pressure on Microsoft's Windows, Office,
Access/SQL Server, and support contracts.

For Ballmer, the challenge has been to find some way to squeeze more
$billions out of existing customers, who don't want any new
functionality being offered by Microsoft, and are looking very
seriously at Linux/Unix including Mac OS/X and ASUS technologies to
provide the "Next Generation" solutions that will help them reduce
travel, reduce the need to commute, reduce the need to maintain on-
site staff and related support costs.

Some companies, like IBM, have been able to cut their secondary costs,
including travel, real-estate, heating, air-conditioning, and commute
related costs by as much as 40% in some divisions, simply by embracing
Open Source technology and adding some minor enhancements.

> http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458...

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 27, 2008, 1:33:06 PM5/27/08

I'm surprised the Linux community isn't demanding that Asus release it for
free!

How dare Asus charge for something!

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Hadron

May 27, 2008, 1:35:44 PM5/27/08
"Moshe, Goldfarb." <brickn...@gmail.com> writes:

Yes! And I bet Willy Filters has been using his Linux desktop as a TV
for about 28 years already! Asus need to clarify a few things .... I
wonder if they stole the code from that shipwreck MythTV?

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 27, 2008, 1:57:47 PM5/27/08

MythTV is a total disaster.

A friend of mine tried to get it working and after 2 weeks of screwing
around with it he finally gave up......

He said it's like getting the Eiffel Tower shipped to your door in a
hundred boxes of bolts and no instructions other than the picture on the
outside of the box to explain how to put it together.

Roy Schestowitz

May 27, 2008, 10:25:20 PM5/27/08

DFS

May 27, 2008, 11:21:24 PM5/27/08
Rex Ballard wrote:

> Don't underestimate Microsoft. They do have tactics, which they have
> been allowed to continue to use under the Bush administration, which
> makes it very hard for Linux to establish a strong foothold in the OEM
> distribution channel.

Yes, MS' nefarious tactic is to allow OEMs to try to sell pre-installed
Linux systems to unsuspecting victims. Fortunately, very few people are
seduced by the low price of the crapware.

Even rabid cola "advocates" like [H]omer are too cheap to buy Linux
systems - why would you think the rest of the population would blow their
cash on a platform that gives them less software choice, reduced quality of
software, virtually no decent games, and less choice in hardware?

> About 80% of the web sites use Linux and/or UNIX as part of the server
> solution, yet only Microsoft demands that it's logo be displayed on
> the web page, even if it's only playing a minor role in the overall
> service being performed.

You're a lunatic.

> Corporations still hate Vista, and many have adopted corporate
> policies banning the deployment of Vista within the corporation.

Which many?

> Microsoft may end up in a very weak position at the bargaining table
> as the negotiations for the OEM licenses resume in June.

As if you know when, or who, or how much, or what percents, or anything at
all about MS license agreements with OEMs. Who do you think you're kidding
with your lies?

> The EU is also getting MORE aggressive, not less,

Power-mad govt lackeys that should be incarcerated for their attempts at
manipulating the marketplace and making statements about how much market
share Microsoft should have.

> and has been
> watching very carefully as Microsoft attempts to intimidate and bully
> government officials into dropping mandates to distribute official
> documents in Open Document Format, rather than in MS-Office
> proprietary formats.

Proof? (whoops, now I made Rex run away)

> Linux has collaboration tools that Microsoft still can't beat.

Such as?

> OSS software such as FireFox, OpenOffice,
> and collaboration solutions such as CVS, Thunderbird, and other OSS
> applications are now putting pressure on Microsoft's Windows, Office,
> Access/SQL Server, and support contracts.

You know as well as anyone here that OpenOffice has no chance in hell of
displacing MS Office. If you think I'm kidding, why don't you put your
money where your mouth is and wipe all MS Office apps off your work laptop
and replace them with OpenOffice and Evolution and Dia and Project Planner
and whatever Linux office apps?

> For Ballmer, the challenge has been to find some way to squeeze more
> $billions out of existing customers, who don't want any new
> functionality being offered by Microsoft,

Well, except for Sharepoint for example, which generated $1 billion in
revenue last year. One MS product doubles the sales of RedHat? Ouch!

> and are looking very
> seriously at Linux/Unix including Mac OS/X and ASUS technologies to
> provide the "Next Generation" solutions that will help them reduce
> travel, reduce the need to commute, reduce the need to maintain on-
> site staff and related support costs.

What next-gen solutions could these be?

OpenOffice? A 5-year step backwards.
Evolution? It's a pale joke compared to Outlook.
MySQL/PostgreSQL? Oracle and SQL Server beat them down.

> Some companies, like IBM, have been able to cut their secondary costs,
> including travel, real-estate, heating, air-conditioning, and commute
> related costs by as much as 40% in some divisions, simply by embracing
> Open Source technology and adding some minor enhancements.

Hey, what's on the screen when your OS loads on that IBM laptop? Thought
so, you big "advocate" you.

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 27, 2008, 11:26:09 PM5/27/08
On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:25:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Yes, I don't underestimate the malice of a devil. In fact, they already try to
> respond to it.
>

> http://boycotnovell.com/2008/05/15/eula-hyper-on-motherboards/

Stop pimping your own sites Schestowitz.

Hit count getting a little low this month?

Rick

May 28, 2008, 6:09:56 AM5/28/08
On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:21:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rex Ballard wrote:
>
>> Don't underestimate Microsoft. They do have tactics, which they have
>> been allowed to continue to use under the Bush administration, which
>> makes it very hard for Linux to establish a strong foothold in the OEM
>> distribution channel.
>
> Yes, MS' nefarious tactic is to allow OEMs to try to sell pre-installed
> Linux systems to unsuspecting victims. Fortunately, very few people are
> seduced by the low price of the crapware.

Lies, lies lies, lies lies. Bigotry, bigotry, bigotry.

What about all the "unsuspecting victims" that are sold Microsoft
software?

> Even rabid cola "advocates" like [H]omer are too cheap to buy Linux
> systems - why would you think the rest of the population would blow
> their cash on a platform that gives them less software choice, reduced
> quality of software, virtually no decent games, and less choice in
> hardware?

The Eee, running Linux, continues fly off the shelves.

>> About 80% of the web sites use Linux and/or UNIX as part of the server
>> solution, yet only Microsoft demands that it's logo be displayed on the
>> web page, even if it's only playing a minor role in the overall service
>> being performed.
>
> You're a lunatic.

Your a liar.

>> Corporations still hate Vista, and many have adopted corporate policies
>> banning the deployment of Vista within the corporation.
>
> Which many?

Ostrich.

>> Microsoft may end up in a very weak position at the bargaining table as
>> the negotiations for the OEM licenses resume in June.
>
> As if you know when, or who, or how much, or what percents, or anything
> at all about MS license agreements with OEMs. Who do you think you're
> kidding with your lies?
>

>> The EU is also getting MORE aggressive, not less,
>
> Power-mad govt lackeys that should be incarcerated for their attempts at
> manipulating the marketplace and making statements about how much market
> share Microsoft should have.

Liar.

>> and has been
>> watching very carefully as Microsoft attempts to intimidate and bully
>> government officials into dropping mandates to distribute official
>> documents in Open Document Format, rather than in MS-Office proprietary
>> formats.
>
> Proof? (whoops, now I made Rex run away)

massachusetts odf

>> Linux has collaboration tools that Microsoft still can't beat.
>
> Such as?
>

>> OSS software such as FireFox, OpenOffice, and collaboration solutions
>> such as CVS, Thunderbird, and other OSS applications are now putting
>> pressure on Microsoft's Windows, Office, Access/SQL Server, and support
>> contracts.
>
> You know as well as anyone here that OpenOffice has no chance in hell of
> displacing MS Office.

That depends on what you mean by displace.

> If you think I'm kidding, why don't you put your
> money where your mouth is and wipe all MS Office apps off your work
> laptop and replace them with OpenOffice and Evolution and Dia and
> Project Planner and whatever Linux office apps?

They did, in Largo Fl. Go tell them it doesn't work.

>> For Ballmer, the challenge has been to find some way to squeeze more
>> $billions out of existing customers, who don't want any new
>> functionality being offered by Microsoft,
>
> Well, except for Sharepoint for example, which generated $1 billion in
> revenue last year. One MS product doubles the sales of RedHat? Ouch!

Why is that a surprise?

>> and are looking very
>> seriously at Linux/Unix including Mac OS/X and ASUS technologies to
>> provide the "Next Generation" solutions that will help them reduce
>> travel, reduce the need to commute, reduce the need to maintain on-
>> site staff and related support costs.
>
> What next-gen solutions could these be?
>
> OpenOffice? A 5-year step backwards.

Liar.

> Evolution? It's a pale joke compared to Outlook.

In your biased opinion.

> MySQL/PostgreSQL? Oracle and SQL Server beat them down.

Then why are they so widely used?

>> Some companies, like IBM, have been able to cut their secondary costs,
>> including travel, real-estate, heating, air-conditioning, and commute
>> related costs by as much as 40% in some divisions, simply by embracing
>> Open Source technology and adding some minor enhancements.
>
> Hey, what's on the screen when your OS loads on that IBM laptop?
> Thought so, you big "advocate" you.

--
Rick

Moshe, Goldfarb.

May 28, 2008, 6:15:36 AM5/28/08
On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:09:56 -0500, Rick wrote:

> They did, in Largo Fl. Go tell them it doesn't work.

Every time I see you Linux loona mention Lardo Fl I have to laugh.

Have you ever been there?

The entire town is one block long and looks like a gigantic senior citizens
center.

Yea, this is a real big win for Linux......

Rick

May 28, 2008, 6:56:00 AM5/28/08
On Wed, 28 May 2008 06:15:36 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:09:56 -0500, Rick wrote:
>

>> They did, in Largo Fl. Go tell them it doesn't work.
>
> Every time I see you Linux loona mention Lardo Fl I have to laugh.

Linux loona, is that someone like you that continually disses linux, but
continues to use it?

> Have you ever been there?

Been there. Worked there. Worked as a paramedic for the county service
there.

> The entire town is one block long and looks like a gigantic senior
> citizens center.

You're a liar.

> Yea, this is a real big win for Linux......

Yes, actually, it is.

--
Rick

Jerry McBride

May 28, 2008, 7:12:07 AM5/28/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Rex Ballard on Tuesday 27 May 2008 17:43 : \____
>
>> part of their package.  The first time, that I can remember, was back
>> in 1999, when COREL offered a motherboard maker Linux licenses at 50
>> cents/board, and millions of these motherboards were ordered by OEMs
>> and Kiosk dealers alike.  The problem was that Microsoft's OEM license
>> agreement forbade ANY interference with the Microsoft controlled boot
>> sequence.
>
> Yes, I don't underestimate the malice of a devil. In fact, they already
> try to respond to it.
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2008/05/15/eula-hyper-on-motherboards/

Nice link. Throws a little light under the msft rock... Amazing what bugs
and creatures crawl out in the light of day.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcb...@mail-on.us)

Cork Soaker

May 28, 2008, 8:11:44 AM5/28/08
STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

Ezekiel

May 27, 2008, 11:07:35 AM5/27/08

"Martha Adams" <mh...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I see that you're still loving the Windows desktop of yours. Same as always.

phoung quoak

May 27, 2008, 4:30:08 PM5/27/08

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/moshe-goldfarb-troll.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html