The Charter

tab

Jun 29, 2006, 2:00:02 PM6/29/06
Here is a quote from your charter:

1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
operating
systems.

That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup
as a
place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development
of
Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn
more
about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not
call
for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in
order
to discredit Linux.

tab says:

Did you notice the part about the BETTERMENT OF LINUX.
My story, is well known now, thanks to COLA. It is a story of
people advocating linux, at any cost to any body. In my story,
linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.

If your charter includes screwing people over by lying at all costs.
You almost succeeded. I am not sure how this is BETTER.
Can someone explain that to me?

All I ask is that you TELL THE TRUTH. Seems, that can't be done.

Further, COLA is IMMORAL. I have one of your leaders, stealing
art pictures, and posting on his own web site, without permission.

That, and that ALONE, should get A PERMENANT BAN! It is
stealing. No less. PERIOD. Show me 10 posts, that are just
about scolding ROY? I don't see it.

And, here is proof, that what I say, is correct. I just don't want
this group,
causing others to get fired from work, without the WHOLE STORY.
Maybe a little less lying? Try something, before you say it works.
Try it in the Distro that someone else is using. Now, that would be
polite.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/d579e67cd18fd730/67fed34d84546996?q=tab+is+correct&rnum=1#67fed34d84546996

DFS

Jun 29, 2006, 2:33:05 PM6/29/06
tab wrote:
> Here is a quote from your charter:
>
> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Did you notice the part about the BETTERMENT OF LINUX.

> My story, is well known now, thanks to COLA. It is a story of
> people advocating linux, at any cost to any body. In my story,
> linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.

tab, that situation is on you, and I think you know it. You could have done
some testing first.

> If your charter includes screwing people over by lying at all costs.
> You almost succeeded. I am not sure how this is BETTER.
> Can someone explain that to me?
>
> All I ask is that you TELL THE TRUTH. Seems, that can't be done.

That they can't do.

Da'Punk-A

Jun 29, 2006, 3:19:21 PM6/29/06

Only "almost fired"? Damn shame. They should have kicked your dumb
ass out the door. Guess that helps explain your infantile "Linux is so
cwap" posts.

Say the truth: you almost got fired cos you didn't make sure the
software you used was suitable. You can't blame Linux for your
inadequacies.

<snip boring shit>

> Further, COLA is IMMORAL. I have one of your leaders, stealing
> art pictures, and posting on his own web site, without permission.

Leaders?! The guy may be a frequent poster,but unmoderated Usenet NGs
don't have leaders. You stupid fuck.

tab

Jun 29, 2006, 3:45:25 PM6/29/06

DFS wrote:
> tab wrote:
> > Here is a quote from your charter:
> >
> > 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>

> > Did you notice the part about the BETTERMENT OF LINUX.
> > My story, is well known now, thanks to COLA. It is a story of
> > people advocating linux, at any cost to any body. In my story,
> > linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.
>
> tab, that situation is on you, and I think you know it. You could have done
> some testing first.

Could I have gotten a machine, yep, I could have.
Lot of coulds, should, and being stupid.

Let me CLEAR THIS UP: It is MY FAULT. Mine,
me, tab. :)

Whose fault? MINE! ME. TAB.

And, there is another side, thjat seems to get tossed out.
It was a calculated risk. Linux was said to be stable.
Linux was easy. I thought, surely, there must have
been thousands of xfers between Oo on Windows and Linspire.
It was ALL LIES. The moral. Don't bet on Linux.

How many others have been hosed by these lies?
I think, that is the point. Don't you?

Just because I am the messenger, does not toss out the message.

Rick

Jun 29, 2006, 3:48:12 PM6/29/06
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:00:02 -0700, tab wrote:

(snip)

> tab says:
>
> Did you notice the part about the BETTERMENT OF LINUX. My story, is well
> known now, thanks to COLA. It is a story of people advocating linux, at
> any cost to any body. In my story, linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING
> BUGGY.

... and you're a liar. YOU almost got YOU fired. Period.

(snip)
--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

[H]omer

Jun 29, 2006, 7:23:21 PM6/29/06
Rick wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:00:02 -0700, tab wrote:

> (snip)
>> tab says:
>> linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.

I didn't realize you were buggy.

Ah, so *that* explains why none of your posts make any sense.

> ... and you're a liar. YOU almost got YOU fired. Period.

He's not a liar ... he's "buggy".

/fatal exception/

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
17:07:26 up 11 days, 17:24, 3 users, load average: 0.64, 1.57, 1.40

William Poaster

Jun 29, 2006, 7:47:05 PM6/29/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Fri, 30 Jun 2006

00:23:21 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:00:02 -0700, tab wrote:
>
>> (snip)
>>> tab says:
>>> linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.
>
> I didn't realize you were buggy.
>
> Ah, so *that* explains why none of your posts make any sense.
>
>> ... and you're a liar. YOU almost got YOU fired. Period.
>
> He's not a liar ... he's "buggy".
>
> /fatal exception/

"tab" backwards is bat. Yeah, he's bats alright.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jun 29, 2006, 9:35:07 PM6/29/06
[H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> did eloquently scribble:

> Rick wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:00:02 -0700, tab wrote:

>> (snip)
>>> tab says:
>>> linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.

> I didn't realize you were buggy.

> Ah, so *that* explains why none of your posts make any sense.

>> ... and you're a liar. YOU almost got YOU fired. Period.

> He's not a liar ... he's "buggy".

> /fatal exception/

*Tab has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down*

If only...
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

OLDDINO

Jun 29, 2006, 11:24:08 PM6/29/06
TAB you total moron! Rule #1 of screwing with any OS. NEVER GO
ANYWHERE YOU CAN"T COME BACK FROM!

BWWAAAAAAAAyoustupidlittlepussyboydohdohdohdoh!

I don't want to put you in a tizzy TAB but as you can see some folks
are a great deal more advanced at LINUX then you seem to be. GOOSSH??
How could that happen? Maybe because you never learned rule #1 Never go
anywhere with an OS that you can't come back from. Yes it worth
repeating. MORON! DFS: You are the most discussing fool I have ever
seen and laughed at! Your attacks on Rex disqualified you from further
contention in any serious debate. What I can say is that I don't know
Rex but I did grow up in southwest Denver during the time he talks
about. His history and placement of Denver tells me that he has at the
VERY least been there. I myself am a bit older then Rex but I ate pizza
a Vella's too! DFS please stay away from Colorado! Ya see most folks
here like a little more life to a vacation then riding in a bus and
poking a stick at bear shit. I gotta think that you did way more then
just poke at the shit with a stick! Did it taste different the eating
Bill's behind? Or did he taste more like bullshit? Or did that depend
on the Dow?

Now about Linux:

I DID NOT WRITE T|HIS YOU CAN FIND IT AT
http://groups.google.com/group/bit.listserv.ibm-main/browse_frm/thread/b500be28b48a9458/da76f97d155f9bea?q=linux&rnum=9#da76f97d155f9bea

I have seen some requests lately for a positive zLinux experience. I am

running zLinux under z/VM today with 2 production applications, 45
Virtual
Servers in three LPARs providing Production, User Acceptance Test,
Development, and SYSPROG TEST. Each application is isolated within a
number of V-Lans protected by "Defense in Depth". Users come
through the
Corporate Firewall and then must pass through the first Firewall
running
in a Virtual Machine in z/VM. From there they start the process to get
access to the application. Throw in a Web Server, Websphere Application

Server, DB2, and a product for user sign-on and it all runs pretty
well.
The z900 was in place and we had an IFL to contribute. All zLinux DASD
is
running within z/VM mini-disks.
I just returned from an IT Financial conference where I contrasted the
costs between running the 45 servers on Intel versus the z/900. I took
very conservative costs for the Intel machines ($2K per server),
Switches
($10K), and Firewall's ($10K) and all with no support (this $0). On
the
Intel side I had Linux for $0 and on the zSeries, I bought SuSe Linux,
Novell e-Maintenance, and IBM 24/7 "Support". The Middleware
software was
from IBM and it is licensed per processor. This is true of most all
Distributed products including Oracle. Using Oracle in this would
driven
the numbers sky high for it is $40K per processor. Thus on the IFL it
is
$40K and on Intel it would be $200K and that premised 1-engine Intel
machines. So I used the DB2 solution for the comparison. In the end the
z-
Solution was about $240K and the Intel solution was $840K.

As an aside, remember I kept the Intel side of the costs very, very low
as
possible and the zSeries side I bought Linux with full 24/7 Support.
Thus
my gut says the number in the Intel side is closer to about $1M+ if one

factors in support, increasing the speed of the connections for
Switches
and Firewalls plus including support for their software and upgrades.
The
beauty of z/VM is getting all the V-Lans, V-Routers, and V-Firewalls
you
want for nothing and then all that "V-Cabling" running at memory
speeds
and also Hypersockets for LPAR connections.

It is my conclusions there are a number of reasons why one does not
hear
many stories about it. One story is those who do it quite well do not
want
to reveal the competitive advantage they have. Another, is the company
is
ashamed to admit they get benefit out of the mainframe when there is
such
a bias against the mainframe. I know of other places who admit the
facts,
but IT management wants no part of it; this is not what the trade press

and their background says is so. Then in most places, Windows and Linux

would be done by the Distributed or Network side of IT and not the
mainframers; so why give up turf. Besides more and more servers to
manage
increases the size of management and their paychecks. Lastly why would
those who have Windows machines (MSCE) and Cisco hardware (CISCO
certified) turn things over to mainframe systems type to replace them.
They will fight to the death to hang onto all their turf.

Another argument is z/VM is so tough. Back in the late 1980s I was
forced
over into VM (Dark Side for an MVS Bigot) of IBM systems and mastered
the
work much, much less than a year where MVS takes years to be able to do

most all of it. IBM has a free 4 day z/VM and SuSe Linux school which I

sent my z/OS Bigots and they came back able to install, implement and
get
things running. Bringing up a z/VM system only to run zLinux is by far
easier than have many, many VM users using CMS, etc. There are enough
zLinux Cookbooks to get things up and running quite quickly.

I am not sure what the future will be but with an upgrade to a z9BC my
one
IFL goes from 238 MIPS to 480 MIPS and my software charges stay exactly

the same as they are today. A very interesting situation. The strategy
is
to run what makes sense over on the zSeries and there is no way I would

want to take over 400+ Windows Servers. Once I get a processor license
for
a piece of software I can bring up many of them virtually with no
additional charges. Oh yes, the z/900 IFL is not even breathing hard
yet.

What I can add is that we have explored the advantage of this
enviorment.
C-YA boys next time you can both tell me all that you know! I'll
arrange for an extra minute.
I AN"T HARD TA FIND BOY's I"LL BUY YA A BEER|! Of course then I'd get a
laugh at TAB(slinkyboy) when he looses a fight to the nearest set of
steps. And DFS your breath smells like bear shit! WHY IS THAT?

DFS

Jun 30, 2006, 12:11:27 AM6/30/06
OLDDINO wrote:

> DFS: You are the most discussing fool I have ever
> seen and laughed at!

True. I love discussing things: old Unix coots, young Linux nuts...

> Your attacks on Rex disqualified you from further
> contention in any serious debate.

What attacks? Asking him for 3rd party proof of his fantastic claims isn't
attacking; it's expected.

Are you here to lend immoral support?

> What I can say is that I don't know
> Rex but I did grow up in southwest Denver during the time he talks
> about. His history and placement of Denver tells me that he has at the
> VERY least been there. I myself am a bit older then Rex but I ate
> pizza a Vella's too!

So he's been to Denver... whoop de doo (whoops - I shouldn't say 'doo' or
you'll have another bear shit fit).

> DFS please stay away from Colorado!

Too late. I've been to Denver a couple of times (skiing), and to Fort
Collins to visit a buddy who was then in the Army.

Was that you I saw tumbling down the blue runs, first a ball of white, then
skis appearing, then a ball of white...?

> Ya see most folks here like a little more
> life to a vacation then riding in a bus

Not if they want to go deep into Denali Natl and back out in a day.

That was one of the highlights of the trip. So was riding the Alaska
Railroad from Anchorage to Denali. And cruising the Gulf of Alaska to see
some glaciers. And driving the Seward Highway down from Anchorage. And
hiking Mt. Marathon.

Heck, just being there is a highlight. Great place!

> and poking a stick at bear shit. I gotta think that you did way more
> then just poke at the shit with a stick!

Yes, I photographed it. It was fresh as far as I could tell - that made me
a little nervous.

> Now about Linux:

It's about time. I wondered when you were going to get to the "advocacy"
part of the rant...

<snip someone else's advocacy - why can't you write any?>

> And DFS your breath smells like bear shit! WHY IS THAT?

Geez, old guy, they sure did breed you guys slow and vulgar back then.

Peter Jensen

Jun 30, 2006, 6:02:33 AM6/30/06
--
PeKaJe

Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.

Message has been deleted

Mark Kent

Jun 30, 2006, 6:42:54 AM6/30/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Peter Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net> espoused:

> Da'Punk-A wrote:
>
>> Only "almost fired"? Damn shame. They should have kicked your dumb
>> ass out the door. Guess that helps explain your infantile "Linux is
>> so cwap" posts.
>
> What's the psychological term for someone who is totally unable to
> accept blame for stuff that's obviously (to everyone else) their fault?
> I cannot for the life of me imagine how a sane person can blame Linux
> for this incident. The only thing that almost got him fired was his own
> actions.
>
>> Say the truth: you almost got fired cos you didn't make sure the
>> software you used was suitable. You can't blame Linux for your
>> inadequacies.
>
> Actually, he almost got fired for committing an act of vandalism by
> installing an OS he knows nothing about on a *production* machine that
> he was *not* authorized to use, while the real user was away. He is
> damn lucky to even still have a job. He should have been fired and sued
> for damages and loss of productivity.

Interestingly, I recall almost exactly this kind of troll coming into
cola several years ago - it's quite surprising to see it here again, it
was something like "oh, this is awful, I put linux onto our network as
a file server and the big boss saved something and couldn't get it back,
and I got the blame, and it was discovered that I'd put linux there and
now I've lost my job..."

Didn't really expect to see a re-run of this one...

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Peter Köhlmann

Jun 30, 2006, 7:20:55 AM6/30/06
Mark Kent wrote:

Except, I actually tend to believe that Trent Allen Black is dumb enough to
really pull off such a stupid stunt
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Mark Kent

Jun 30, 2006, 8:39:15 AM6/30/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Peter Köhlmann <peter.k...@t-online.de> espoused:

Umm, fair point, yes. Hadn't really considered the possibility that it
could be /true/!

chrisv

Jun 30, 2006, 8:52:58 AM6/30/06
OLDDINO wrote:

> TAB you total moron!

Please. Don't feed the troll.

chrisv

Jun 30, 2006, 8:55:08 AM6/30/06
>Rick wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:00:02 -0700, tab wrote:
>
>> (snip)
>>> tab says:
>>> linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.
>
>I didn't realize you were buggy.
>
>Ah, so *that* explains why none of your posts make any sense.
>
>> ... and you're a liar. YOU almost got YOU fired. Period.

As long has lying gets him fed, he will lie.

Sinister Midget

Jun 30, 2006, 11:18:29 AM6/30/06
On 2006-06-30, Peter Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net> posted something concerning:

> Da'Punk-A wrote:

>> Say the truth: you almost got fired cos you didn't make sure the
>> software you used was suitable. You can't blame Linux for your
>> inadequacies.
>
> Actually, he almost got fired for committing an act of vandalism by
> installing an OS he knows nothing about on a *production* machine that
> he was *not* authorized to use, while the real user was away. He is
> damn lucky to even still have a job. He should have been fired and sued
> for damages and loss of productivity.

Let's dispense with this myth, shall we?

I don't believe, not for a single nonasecond, that tab did what he
claims he did. I believe, with near certainty, that the whole thing was
a fabrication.

If he didn't do what he claimed he did, the damage caused is also a
fairy tale. If there was no damage, tab couldn't have been nearly fired
for it.

I've had tab killfiled for some time. But I don't kill responses
(though I'm considering do so in the case of some trolls). Enough
people respond to the idiot, and I can see enough of his ineptness due
to that factoid, that I can't buy his being employed in any capacity
similar to that which he claims. One can't be fired from a position
that only exists, for them, in the land of make believe.

No, I believe if tab really *was* nearly fired, it was for not
replacing the "mint" in the urinal in a timely manner.

--
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.

Sinister Midget

Jun 30, 2006, 11:21:31 AM6/30/06
On 2006-06-30, Technomage Hawke <technoma...@127.0.0.1> posted something concerning:

> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>
>> [H]omer <sp...@uce.gov> did eloquently scribble:

>>> I didn't realize you were buggy.
>>
>>> Ah, so *that* explains why none of your posts make any sense.

>>> He's not a liar ... he's "buggy".
>>
>>> /fatal exception/
>>
>> *Tab has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down*
>>
>> If only...
>
> heh. as tempting as it might seem, patching or upgrading USERS is not
> recommended.

Exactly. Defective ones should be replaced.

--
The nice thing about being a celebrity is that if you bore
people they think it's their fault.

Sinister Midget

Jun 30, 2006, 11:21:31 AM6/30/06
On 2006-06-29, William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> posted something concerning:

I wonder if his last name is Gnid.

--
Don't have sex, man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have
to start talking to them.

High Plains Thumper

Jun 30, 2006, 7:03:05 PM6/30/06
"tab" <trental...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Here is a quote from your charter:
>
> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>
> The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
>
> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to
> other operating systems.
>
> That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
> newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter
> is for the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux
> to gather to discuss Linux, for the betterment of the
> Linux community and the promotion and development of
> Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would
> like to learn more about Linux to come to learn from
> those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
> place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in
> order to discredit Linux.
>
> tab says:
>
> Did you notice the part about the BETTERMENT OF LINUX.
> My story, is well known now, thanks to COLA. It is a story
> of people advocating linux, at any cost to any body. In my
> story, linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.

Following merchantability fitness clause is used as an
example obtained from:

http://www.novell.com/licensing/eula/suse_pro_93.pdf

/quote/
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE RESTRICTED BY LAW, NOVELL DISCLAIMS AND
EXCLUDES ANY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING ANY
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NOVELL MAKES NO WARRANTY,
REPRESENTATION OR PROMISE NOT EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS
LIMITED WARRANTY. NOVELL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE
WILL SATISFY YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE
SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED. /-quote/

You as a user have a responsibility to determine the
suitability of the software in your particular situation.
That includes selection of a distro version, which has known
stability and compatibility with the hardware.

Either you did something to convince your managment to fire
you, or you have incredibly unreasonable management.
Normally, IMHO, management would not fire someone unless they
did something very illegal or have a work history worthy of a
firing.

> If your charter includes screwing people over by lying at
> all costs. You almost succeeded. I am not sure how this is
> BETTER. Can someone explain that to me?

Charter states nothing of the sort.

Why are you blaming the posting community at C.O.L.A. over
something you did? I do not appreciate your sweeping
generality, "screwing people over by lying at all costs".
The posting community did not screw you. You screwed you.

> All I ask is that you TELL THE TRUTH. Seems, that can't be
> done.

Perhaps you should look inwardly, instead of generalising and
bashing the posting community.

> Further, COLA is IMMORAL. I have one of your leaders,
> stealing art pictures, and posting on his own web site,
> without permission.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. You take a
single example of a personal blog with one image. Then you
associate that one instance with the C.O.L.A. posting
community, as though that one individual represents C.O.L.A.

Rather than approach that one individual personally and
express your concerns, you feel that C.O.L.A. is the place to
publicly bash a personal blog. Then you make a sweeping
generality about the entire posting community being immoral
over personal disagreements on one art image on a personal
blog.

> That, and that ALONE, should get A PERMENANT BAN! It is
> stealing. No less. PERIOD. Show me 10 posts, that are
> just about scolding ROY? I don't see it.
>
> And, here is proof, that what I say, is correct. I just
> don't want this group, causing others to get fired from
> work, without the WHOLE STORY. Maybe a little less lying?
> Try something, before you say it works. Try it in the
> Distro that someone else is using. Now, that would be
> polite.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse
> _thread/thread/d579e67cd18fd730/67fed34d84546996?q=tab+is+co
> rrect&rnum=1#67fed34d84546996

See? A C.O.L.A. poster gave you a compliment when you posted
something of benefit to the posting community. Problem is
that many of your posts do not promote Linux, discuss
benefits of Linux compared with other operating systems, nor
speak in a manner that benefits the Linux community.

--
HPT

William Poaster

Jun 30, 2006, 7:55:21 PM6/30/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Fri, 30 Jun 2006

He has an illness for which there is no known cure. He's terminally stupid.