help needed : /home partition

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 6:46:30 PM9/6/06

Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.

Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.

Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
install??

e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
all match or is there something else I must do?

Geico Caveman

Sep 6, 2006, 7:22:59 PM9/6/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>
> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.

How do you know that a reinstall is needed ?

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 6, 2006, 7:47:33 PM9/6/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:

> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.

> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.

Reinstall, just to get sound back?
Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.
At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
something similar happens again.

> Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
> old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
> install??

> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
> all match or is there something else I must do?

the username and numbers are in /etc/passwd
spike1:x:501:100:Andrew Halliwell:/home/spike1:/bin/tcsh
this one's user spike1, group users, UID 501, GID 100
So, either change the UID/GID to what your home partition should be
ls -ln /home will show it

drwxr-x--x 276 501 100 24576 Sep 7 00:37 spike1

or
chown -R hadron:users /home/hadron

to change ownership of everything in your home dir.
(these need to be done as root of course)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 6, 2006, 7:48:34 PM9/6/06
Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> did eloquently scribble:
> Hadron Quark wrote:

To fix sound? It isn't.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

flatfish+++

Sep 6, 2006, 7:58:34 PM9/6/06
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:47:33 +0000, spike1 wrote:

> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.
> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
> something similar happens again.

The real question is why did it screw up in the first place?

> the username and numbers are in /etc/passwd
> spike1:x:501:100:Andrew Halliwell:/home/spike1:/bin/tcsh
> this one's user spike1, group users, UID 501, GID 100
> So, either change the UID/GID to what your home partition should be
> ls -ln /home will show it
>
> drwxr-x--x 276 501 100 24576 Sep 7 00:37 spike1
>
> or
> chown -R hadron:users /home/hadron
>
> to change ownership of everything in your home dir.
> (these need to be done as root of course)

Yawwn.....

You just proved his point.
Total GEEK STUFF..........
A normal user doesn't stand a chance.

Gubo Dangle

Sep 6, 2006, 8:07:42 PM9/6/06
on 07/09/2006, flatfish+++ supposed :

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:47:33 +0000, spike1 wrote:
>

>> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
>> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.
>> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
>> something similar happens again.
>

> The real question is why did it screw up in the first place?

Shit happens.

>> the username and numbers are in /etc/passwd
>> spike1:x:501:100:Andrew Halliwell:/home/spike1:/bin/tcsh
>> this one's user spike1, group users, UID 501, GID 100
>> So, either change the UID/GID to what your home partition should be
>> ls -ln /home will show it
>>
>> drwxr-x--x 276 501 100 24576 Sep 7 00:37 spike1
>>
>> or
>> chown -R hadron:users /home/hadron
>>
>> to change ownership of everything in your home dir.
>> (these need to be done as root of course)
>

> Yawwn.....
>
> You just proved his point.
> Total GEEK STUFF..........
> A normal user doesn't stand a chance.

I've backed up my /home, reinstalled, copied contents of backedup /home
back to where they came from, rebooted and its all 'just worked' for
me.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Bob Hauck

Sep 6, 2006, 7:18:43 PM9/6/06
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:46:30 +0200, Hadron Quark
<qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:

> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
> all match or is there something else I must do?

Someone who calls himself a "kernel hacker" ought to know the anser to
this question.

--
-| Bob Hauck
-| A proud member of the unhinged moonbat horde.

[H]omer

Sep 6, 2006, 8:06:06 PM9/6/06

Because he thinks like a typical Windows luser - i.e. "every problem, no
matter how trivial, can and should be solved by wiping the hard drive".

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
http://tinyurl.com/kunuk (pclinuxos.com/forum)

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
01:04:57 up 81 days, 1:21, 3 users, load average: 0.24, 0.29, 0.26

ray

Sep 6, 2006, 8:18:40 PM9/6/06

I expect that a 'normal user' stands at least as much chance as when he
has to reinstall MS because it crapped all over itself while changing the
desktop video resolution. Happened to me, and the MS expert could not
repair it short of reinstalling the whole damned mess - all those system
backups didn't help a bit.

flatfish+++

Sep 6, 2006, 8:20:23 PM9/6/06

So let's say you wanted to recover from a catastrophic failure, say a bad
hard disk.

How do you do it?

Me?

I boot the Ghost CD, point it to the image that gets backed up every night
and in 30 minutes or less I am running.

How about Linux?

Gubo Dangle

Sep 6, 2006, 8:26:09 PM9/6/06
flatfish+++ pretended :

Exactly the same if you have an image of your HDD taken every night.
You expected it to be harder? :/

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 6, 2006, 8:21:44 PM9/6/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> did eloquently scribble:

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:47:33 +0000, spike1 wrote:

>> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
>> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.
>> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
>> something similar happens again.

> The real question is why did it screw up in the first place?

He didn't say how he broke it, only that it broke.

> You just proved his point.
> Total GEEK STUFF..........

Oh, get smegged twatface.
He asked, I told.
It's certainly simpler to edit a simple text file and change a couple of
numbers than it is to dig around looking for the correct GUI interface to do
it.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

flatfish+++

Sep 6, 2006, 9:19:30 PM9/6/06

With what program?
And what do you boot to recover your system?

And does it work with Suse/Redhat/Fedora/PclinuxOs/Mepis etc?

Dangling Gubbo

Sep 6, 2006, 9:40:32 PM9/6/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/ would do the job. As would
http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/524000/Acronis-True-Image-Server-for-Linux.html
for servers, and no doubt a whole bag of other apps if I could be bothered
to look for them.

> And what do you boot to recover your system?

The CD. Same as with Norton Ghost.

> And does it work with Suse/Redhat/Fedora/PclinuxOs/Mepis etc?

I see no reason why not.

NoStop

Sep 6, 2006, 9:47:21 PM9/6/06
On Wednesday 06 September 2006 05:20 pm, flatfish+++ had this to say in
comp.os.linux.advocacy:

Personally I use Acronis True Image to backup my Linux boxes. Like it better
than Ghost.

--
A Windows user finally clues in and sets up a dual boot system and loves
it!:

http://www.winxperts.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1377

The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

The New and Improved Ballmer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HTkA9L2J2gY

Is this a modern day equivalent of a Nazi youth rally?:

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg

A 3D Linux Desktop (video) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://shots.osdir.com/

Message has been deleted

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 7:32:25 PM9/6/06
Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> writes:

Because there are instances out there where fellow dapper users lost
their sound & despite spending days following howtos, the only thing
that worked for them was a reinstall. I really dont want to do it, but I
need my sound working.

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 10:29:25 PM9/6/06
"[H]omer" <sp...@uce.gov> writes:

> Geico Caveman wrote:
>> Hadron Quark wrote:
>>
>>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>>
>>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>>
>> How do you know that a reinstall is needed ?
>
> Because he thinks like a typical Windows luser - i.e. "every problem, no
> matter how trivial, can and should be solved by wiping the hard drive".
>
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Yes, I know. It works in Windows :(

> http://tinyurl.com/kunuk (pclinuxos.com/forum)

I use Ubuntu.

You really are an ass. Did you know that?

http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&hs=6Yo&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=ubuntu+ati+ixp+ac97+no+sound&spell=1

or

http://tinyurl.com/lwlop

> --
> K.
> http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged
> This message has not been photoshopped in any way.
>
> Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
> 01:04:57 up 81 days, 1:21, 3 users, load average: 0.24, 0.29, 0.26

--
Wethern's Law:
Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.

Jesse F. Hughes

Sep 6, 2006, 10:35:23 PM9/6/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> writes:

> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>
> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound
> back.

That's a *really* strange reason to reinstall an OS, but never mind...

> Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
> old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
> install??

Just keep the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups file from the current
installations and you should have no problem. All that matters is the
mapping from username and group to their corresponding numbers.

--
Jesse F. Hughes

"Do not click any hyperlinks that you do not trust. Type them in the
Address bar yourself." -- Microsoft gives security advice.

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 10:35:42 PM9/6/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>
>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>
>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>
> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.

I have tried. Time & time again. I have recompiled kernel modules, I
have restricted modules, I have mod proebed, lspic'd, etc etc etc. I
have been through the ringer.

> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
> something similar happens again.

I dont know. And neither does anyone else. A gnome update of some sort
fucked it up.

http://tinyurl.com/lwlop

>> Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
>> old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
>> install??
>
>> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
>> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
>> all match or is there something else I must do?
>
> the username and numbers are in /etc/passwd

> spike1:x:501:100:Andrew Halliwell:/home/spike1:/bin/tcsh
> this one's user spike1, group users, UID 501, GID 100
> So, either change the UID/GID to what your home partition should be
> ls -ln /home will show it
>
> drwxr-x--x 276 501 100 24576 Sep 7 00:37 spike1
>
> or
> chown -R hadron:users /home/hadron
>
> to change ownership of everything in your home dir.
> (these need to be done as root of course)

I dont want to change everything. There are files owned by root, news
and mail too. So how to change old "hadrons" to "new hadrons", old "news
" to "new news"? Must I do it one by one?

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 10:38:04 PM9/6/06
Gubo Dangle <gubo.dangle.nospam.@gmail.com> writes:

Are you sure? What about file ownerships & permissions?

How did you copy? Using "cp"? You know this screw up ownerships? I want
files owned by "news", for example, to still be owned by "news". I
certainly dont want all files owned by root in my home directory.

It doesnt seem that trivial to do it *properly*.

> Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

--
Package sold by weight, not volume.

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 10:39:38 PM9/6/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:21:44 +0000, spike1 wrote:
>
>> flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> did eloquently scribble:

>>> The real question is why did it screw up in the first place?
>>
>> He didn't say how he broke it, only that it broke.
>

> Oh...
> So Kelsey's tale of woe is due to Windows screwing up but this one is
> blamed on the user?
>
> Typical Linux Zealot.

I believe a gnome update screwed it up : its out there in google.

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 10:44:16 PM9/6/06
"Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> writes:
>
>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>
>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound
>> back.
>
> That's a *really* strange reason to reinstall an OS, but never mind...

Dont tell me about it : I dont want to do it - but I have given up
trying to set sound back working. I really tried.

>> Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
>> old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
>> install??
>
> Just keep the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups file from the current
> installations and you should have no problem. All that matters is the
> mapping from username and group to their corresponding numbers.

And do what with them? When I reinstall, wont all the new "created at
install" users have different numbers too?

> --
> Jesse F. Hughes
>
> "Do not click any hyperlinks that you do not trust. Type them in the
> Address bar yourself." -- Microsoft gives security advice.

--
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
(seen in someone's .signature)

Hadron Quark

Sep 6, 2006, 10:48:53 PM9/6/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> did eloquently scribble:
>> Hadron Quark wrote:
>

>>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>>
>>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>
>> How do you know that a reinstall is needed ?
>
> To fix sound? It isn't.

One would have thought not.

Google up "dapper atiixp no sound".

And prepare to be shocked.

I have spent days following every thread - and a good few said a
reinstall got it back working.

Sorry : but thats the way it is.

> --
> | spi...@freenet.co.uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |
> | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |
> | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |

Do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

Jim Richardson

Sep 7, 2006, 12:14:29 AM9/7/06

Life imitates art, but does it have to imitate satire?

Jim Richardson

Sep 7, 2006, 12:17:03 AM9/7/06

If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you find time
to do it over?

Jim Richardson

Sep 7, 2006, 12:23:00 AM9/7/06

Jesse F. Hughes

Sep 7, 2006, 2:14:24 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> writes:

> "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> writes:
>> Just keep the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups file from the current
>> installations and you should have no problem. All that matters is the
>> mapping from username and group to their corresponding numbers.
>
> And do what with them? When I reinstall, wont all the new "created at
> install" users have different numbers too?

I assume you're talking about real users with names selected by you at
installation time and not users like "root", "uucp", "sshd", etc. The
latter users will certainly have the same numbers after reinstall,
since you're installing the same OS.

Now suppose you create users Fred, Wilma and Barney after
reinstallation. If Fred, Wilma and Barney already exist in
/etc/passwd, then they might be assigned different numbers. If you
happen to create them in the same order as last time (and you can do
this by reading /etc/passwd--it's human readable), they'll get the
same numbers as last time. If not, no big deal. Either edit
/etc/passwd or replace it entirely with the old one.

Alternatively, don't create *any* users when you reinstall (except for
the required user---I think Ubuntu doesn't have a root user). You
already have the home directories created, so just copy the old
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files into the new /etc directory. Maybe
do the same for /etc/shadow, so that folks have their old passwords.
Then viola: just like the old times.

Caveat: I am used to Slackware, not Ubuntu. Slackware is a nice,
simple distro and this stuff would easily work there. It is possible,
though unlikely, that things are a bit different in Ubuntu.

But all you should need is the mapping of user and group names to
numbers and the association of users to groups. All this info is in
human-readable form in /etc/passwd and /etc/group. In fact, I just
installed Slackware on a new laptop and just copied passwd and group
into /etc as described here. I also copied the old /home directory
over and the shadow file and everything worked peachy.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"We need to counter the shockwave of the evildoer by having individual

Mark Kent

Sep 7, 2006, 2:22:49 AM9/7/06
begin oe_protect.scr
spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> espoused:

> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>
>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>
>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>
> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.
> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
> something similar happens again.

What's really scary is that this character's been in this group for so
long, spouting all kinds of nonsense about what linux can and can't do,
and it turns out that he really does know essentially nothing about it.

It's one of the most common things with windows people; getting the idea
into their brainwashed skulls that reinstall is almost never the right
answer, any more than reboot is.

>> Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
>> old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
>> install??
>
>> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
>> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
>> all match or is there something else I must do?
>

> the username and numbers are in /etc/passwd
> spike1:x:501:100:Andrew Halliwell:/home/spike1:/bin/tcsh
> this one's user spike1, group users, UID 501, GID 100
> So, either change the UID/GID to what your home partition should be
> ls -ln /home will show it
>
> drwxr-x--x 276 501 100 24576 Sep 7 00:37 spike1
>
> or
> chown -R hadron:users /home/hadron
>
> to change ownership of everything in your home dir.
> (these need to be done as root of course)

Presumably he doesn't know what cp -a does, either.

How can this guy be here knowing so little? Scary.

It was kinda like stuffing the wrong card in a computer, when you're
stickin' those artificial stimulants in your arm.
-- Dion, noted computer scientist

Mark Kent

Sep 7, 2006, 2:30:55 AM9/7/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com> espoused:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:46:30 +0200,
> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>
>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>>
>> Following a reinstall : how are the permissions/owners of the seperate
>> old partition matched to the "new" ones you must create with the new
>> install??
>>
>> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
>> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
>> all match or is there something else I must do?
>
> create the new hadron user with the same uid/gid as the old. Or create
> him, and then change the uid/gid to the old. Or mount the old ~ and
> recursively change the ownership/group of the files within, to the new
> udi/gid. However, chances are, if you were the only non-priviledged user
> on the old install, and you are the only non-priviliged user on the new
> one, then uid/gids may already match.
>
> ls -ln will list the entries in the current directory without looking up
> the uid/gids. There are gui ways of doing this (and the above) but I
> don't have time to waste on clicking things :)

For our linux-knowledge-challenged troll, the default ID for the first
new user is 1000:1000. As Jim's said, if you were the only user, and as
a Windows person, you probably were, then you probably don't need to do
any more than create the first new user.

/However/, reinstalling should not be necessary. Unless you've done
something really silly, of course? Perhaps you've rm -r'd part of the
machine as root? You do know not to run as root, don't you?

Why don't you read one of the really good introduction to linux manuals
which are on the net? The amount of time you've spent trolling this
group with total tosh could easily have got you through most of the ldp
manuals and the howtos as well. You could've been something of an expert
by now, rather than someone who has to ask what the options for the "cp"
command are, which is, I would say, probably the third or fourth command
any linux admin would learn.

Of course, if you've deliberately trashed the machine in order to get
yourself to a point where you have to use a cli command to prove some
kind of troll point, then sure, why not just reinstall the whole OS?
Your home dir won't be affected if you're installing debian anyway.
Of course, you'll lose your settings, and have to start everything again,
but that would be almost exactly like the Windows experience you seem
to like so much, although it's not perfect, because in the Windows
experience, you'd lose your data, too.

You have an interesting choice to make now. You can actually /learn/
something about linux, or continue on in your ignorance, the depths of
which you've demonstrated here rather comprehensively.

Your decision, your call, dealer's choice - which way will you go?
Englightenment? Shill?

Mark Kent

Sep 7, 2006, 2:24:04 AM9/7/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com> espoused:

Is this guy safe in front of a computer?

Mark Kent

Sep 7, 2006, 2:32:01 AM9/7/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Bob Hauck <postm...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:46:30 +0200, Hadron Quark
><qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>

>> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
>> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
>> all match or is there something else I must do?
>
> Someone who calls himself a "kernel hacker" ought to know the anser to
> this question.

The questions he's asked have been of such a fundamental nature that I
doubt he's got any linux experience at all. Of course, it's possible
that he's deliberately trashed a machine in order to prove some point -
these trolls are hardly rational by most standards...

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:57 AM9/7/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> did eloquently scribble:
>>> The real question is why did it screw up in the first place?
>>
>> He didn't say how he broke it, only that it broke.

> Oh...

> So Kelsey's tale of woe is due to Windows screwing up but this one is
> blamed on the user?

> Typical Linux Zealot.

Linux config files are just that, static text files that load appropriate
modules at the appropriate time and configure them in a specific way. Text
files don't just mutate by themselves you know, unless you suffer a bad
block slap bang in the middle of one or something.

That kelsey described wasn't just something that suddenly stopped working,
now, was it? It was something he ADDED that didn't work as expected.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:57 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Oh...
>> So Kelsey's tale of woe is due to Windows screwing up but this one is
>> blamed on the user?
>>
>> Typical Linux Zealot.
>>

> I believe a gnome update screwed it up : its out there in google.

What distro? If it's RPM based, the old rpms may still exist in the update
directory somewhere. (in suse it keeps its old update rpms in
ls /var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt/i386/update/9.2/rpm/
So you can revert to the old version of something if it breaks... Seems odd,
a gnome update breaking sound though, the two things are unrelated (unless
it's the esd that broke(try reinstalling JUST the esd from the base media)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:57 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
> One would have thought not.

> Google up "dapper atiixp no sound".

> And prepare to be shocked.

> I have spent days following every thread - and a good few said a
> reinstall got it back working.

Well, a reinstall would.
Cos if it worked the first time you installed, there's no reason why a
reinstall wouldn't the second time... But it's not the correct way to fix
something.

Looks like (from the google dapper atiixxp thingy, I was right.
If a gnome update caused the problem, the only thing it's likely to be is
esd, and they're reporting the problem goes away then they disable it.

Try inserting the original cd and reinstalling just esd. (you might need the
--force switch (or button or whatever) to install and older version)

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:57 AM9/7/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> did eloquently scribble:

>>> So let's say you wanted to recover from a catastrophic failure, say a bad
>>> hard disk.
>>>
>>> How do you do it?
>>>
>>> Me?
>>>
>>> I boot the Ghost CD, point it to the image that gets backed up every night
>>> and in 30 minutes or less I am running.
>>>
>>> How about Linux?
>>
>> Exactly the same if you have an image of your HDD taken every night.
>> You expected it to be harder? :/

> With what program?

For what? partition imaging? dd of course.

> And what do you boot to recover your system?

Any linux bootable CD distro. Heck, even a floppy distro would probably be
enough.

> And does it work with Suse/Redhat/Fedora/PclinuxOs/Mepis etc?

dd? only every linux distribution from the dawn of linux and probably every
single unix distribution for 20 years before that.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:57 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> I've backed up my /home, reinstalled, copied contents of backedup
>> /home back to where they came from, rebooted and its all 'just worked'
>> for me.

> Are you sure? What about file ownerships & permissions?

Only a problem if user numbers differ between installs. And you can specify
what UID a user will have at install.

> How did you copy? Using "cp"? You know this screw up ownerships? I want
> files owned by "news", for example, to still be owned by "news". I
> certainly dont want all files owned by root in my home directory.

cp -a, (a=archive), it preserves ownership, permissions, etc. And copies
special files as they are, rather than from the hardware they represent.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:58 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
> spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

>> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>
>>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>
>>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>>
>> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
>> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.

> I have tried. Time & time again. I have recompiled kernel modules, I
> have restricted modules, I have mod proebed, lspic'd, etc etc etc. I
> have been through the ringer.

Helloooo, mcflyyyy! Think mcfly, THINK!
No, really, you have to think logically.
Now... What broke sound?
Was it a kernel update? (shakes head) Was it a hardware replacement (shakes
head)... No... It was a GNOME update, wasn't it? (nods head)

The only thing that can really break sound in gnome is esd (enlightenment
sound daemon). Disable it, if sound works, bingo, problem located.
Reinstall *JUST* esd from install CD.

>> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
>> something similar happens again.

> I dont know. And neither does anyone else. A gnome update of some sort
> fucked it up.

> http://tinyurl.com/lwlop

The first link in "googling for dapper atiixp no sound" brings up a few who
succeeded in hearing something after disabling esd.

> I dont want to change everything.

The line I said there won't change everything, it'll only change everything
in /home/hadron (which is correct. Everything in that directory should
belong to hadron).

> There are files owned by root, news and mail too. So how to change old
> "hadrons" to "new hadrons", old "news " to "new news"? Must I do it one by
> one?

Why would you have root and news owned files in your home directory?
If I ever get something like that after fiddling during an su, I get too
irritated by permission denieds and chown the things back to me.

I've always found news maintained it's UID across installs.
Are you sure news has had a new one assigned?

news:x:9:13:News system:/etc/news:/bin/bash

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31:58 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Just keep the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups file from the current
>> installations and you should have no problem. All that matters is the
>> mapping from username and group to their corresponding numbers.

> And do what with them? When I reinstall, wont all the new "created at
> install" users have different numbers too?

Not if the installer has a decent user-management block.
YaST allows you to specify UID at install for your users. (I chose 501 cos
that was the old install's spike1 UID. it wanted to use 1001, but that's cos
it was a newer version of the distro)

All the system users like news and mail maintained their numbers from the

Johan Lindquist

Sep 7, 2006, 4:46:21 AM9/7/06
So anyway, it was like, 03:19 CEST Sep 07 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
flatfish+++ was all like, "Dude,
> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:26:09 +0000, Gubo Dangle wrote:
>> flatfish+++ pretended :

>>> So let's say you wanted to recover from a catastrophic failure,
>>> say a bad hard disk.
>>>
>>> How do you do it?
>>>
>>> Me?
>>>
>>> I boot the Ghost CD, point it to the image that gets backed up
>>> every night and in 30 minutes or less I am running.
>>>
>>> How about Linux?
>>
>> Exactly the same if you have an image of your HDD taken every
>> night. You expected it to be harder? :/
>

> With what program? And what do you boot to recover your system?

Is google broken? ghost4linux, even works with ms windows ime.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
10:44:02 up 60 days, 18:13, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.05, 0.04

William Poaster

Sep 6, 2006, 8:07:11 PM9/6/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Wed, 06 Sep 2006

23:48:34 +0000, spike1 wrote:

> Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> did eloquently scribble:
>> Hadron Quark wrote:
>

>>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>>
>>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound
>>> back.
>

>> How do you know that a reinstall is needed ?
>
> To fix sound? It isn't.

I thought Quack knew everything about linux.

--
Linux is not a desktop OS for people
whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".

William Poaster

Sep 7, 2006, 6:20:31 AM9/7/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Thu, 07 Sep 2006

07:32:01 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

> begin oe_protect.scr
> Bob Hauck <postm...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:
>> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:46:30 +0200, Hadron Quark
>><qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> e.g I have /home/hadron on a special partition. I will reinstall but
>>> will need to recreate the user "hadron" - will the old permissions etc
>>> all match or is there something else I must do?
>>
>> Someone who calls himself a "kernel hacker" ought to know the anser to
>> this question.
>>

> The questions he's asked have been of such a fundamental nature that I
> doubt he's got any linux experience at all.

I'm sure he hasn't.

> Of course, it's possible that he's deliberately trashed a machine in
> order to prove some point -

Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.

> these trolls are hardly rational by most standards...

Trolls are not rational, that's why they....er.....troll.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 6:35:51 AM9/7/06
William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> did eloquently scribble:

>> Of course, it's possible that he's deliberately trashed a machine in
>> order to prove some point -

> Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.

To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls themselves.
:)

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 6:33:57 AM9/7/06
Mark Kent <mark...@demon.co.uk> writes:

>>> How did you copy? Using "cp"? You know this screw up ownerships? I want
>>> files owned by "news", for example, to still be owned by "news". I
>>> certainly dont want all files owned by root in my home directory.
>>>

>> cp -a
>
> Is this guy safe in front of a computer?

Do you have anything to offer except for your usual "me too" ass
munching?

WOuld you like to comment on how "cp -a" (which is same as "cp -dpR"),
compares to

find . -depth -print0 | cpio --null --sparse -pvd /mnt/newhome/

Please.

--
What's this script do?
unzip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; gasp ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 6:35:44 AM9/7/06

I think thats the way : I found this elsewhere. I appreciate you taking
the time. I'm still dawdling though .... nothing worse than the fear of
screwing up and being without a pc for a few days.

--
KDE == (see GayDE) Kool Desktop Environment - Make X Window look like winbloze...
What a fucking great idea! The developers of this have a mental sickness,

Peter Köhlmann

Sep 7, 2006, 7:46:14 AM9/7/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Of course, it's possible that he's deliberately trashed a machine in
>>> order to prove some point -
>
>> Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.
>
> To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls
> themselves.
> :)

"Hadron" certainly does not need (nor deserve) any help. Especially not in
this NG. First he boasts about his linux knowledge (including being a
kernel hacker). And yet all the time showing that he is clearly basically
clueless.
And then he comes with such stuff like "his sound no longer working" and
having no clue what to do about it?
I don't even believe that *he* has the problem. He is very probably running
a liveCD, just like DumbFullShit.
He has scrounged, in good old flatfish tradition, some "problem" from other
NGs and pretends he has it
--
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 6:44:27 AM9/7/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:
>
>>> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:

>>> Reinstall, just to get sound back?
>>> Stop doing the windows thing and FIX IT NORMALLY.
>
>> I have tried. Time & time again. I have recompiled kernel modules, I
>> have restricted modules, I have mod proebed, lspic'd, etc etc etc. I
>> have been through the ringer.
>
> Helloooo, mcflyyyy! Think mcfly, THINK!
> No, really, you have to think logically.

Everything was going fine until now. Now this.

Firstly, I'm an HW & SW engineer. I have spent *ages* on this. I have
purged, reinsstalled ALSA. I have followed every "how to" under the sun. I
have reported my HW one million times. I have checked drivers are
working. I have tweaked alsaconf in every conceivable way. I have
enabled & re-enabled everything you can think of.

I am not alone as google will telly you.

> Now... What broke sound?
> Was it a kernel update? (shakes head) Was it a hardware replacement (shakes
> head)... No... It was a GNOME update, wasn't it? (nods head)

I DONT know. I assume it was. #1 rule - assume nothing.

> The only thing that can really break sound in gnome is esd (enlightenment
> sound daemon). Disable it, if sound works, bingo, problem located.
> Reinstall *JUST* esd from install CD.

Doesnt work.

And part of the problem is that I have followed so many howto's & now I
couldnt be 100% about the integarity of everything now - there are so
many "delete this, link thats" - after a while one gets a bit pissed off
and forgets to unwind certain steps.

>>> At least then you'll have learned how it broke and how to fix it in case
>>> something similar happens again.
>
>> I dont know. And neither does anyone else. A gnome update of some sort
>> fucked it up.
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/lwlop
>
> The first link in "googling for dapper atiixp no sound" brings up a few who
> succeeded in hearing something after disabling esd.

I found those threads. ps I use spDif out. really, nothing.

>> I dont want to change everything.
>
> The line I said there won't change everything, it'll only change everything
> in /home/hadron (which is correct. Everything in that directory should
> belong to hadron).
>
>> There are files owned by root, news and mail too. So how to change old
>> "hadrons" to "new hadrons", old "news " to "new news"? Must I do it one by
>> one?
>
> Why would you have root and news owned files in your home directory?

Because certain apps create them like that.

> If I ever get something like that after fiddling during an su, I get too
> irritated by permission denieds and chown the things back to me.
>
> I've always found news maintained it's UID across installs.
> Are you sure news has had a new one assigned?

Not yet : because I have not reinstalled yet. But thinking about it,
it'll probably be fine - ditto for root.

I aprpeciate your help : but less of the McFly bit thanks. Trust me : it
took a lot of effort, depression and what have you to come to this NG to
ask for some help - but I figured that everyones always saying how easy
everything is that someone would have a solution.

> news:x:9:13:News system:/etc/news:/bin/bash
>
> --
> | |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
> | spi...@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
> | |can't move, with no hope of rescue. |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been |
> | in |good to you so far... |
> | Computer Science | -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 6:46:54 AM9/7/06
William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> writes:

> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Wed, 06 Sep 2006
> 23:48:34 +0000, spike1 wrote:
>
>> Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> did eloquently scribble:

>>> How do you know that a reinstall is needed ?
>>
>> To fix sound? It isn't.
>
> I thought Quack knew everything about linux.

According to wankers like you, I dont even use it.

I know a quite a lot about Linux and learn more every day : but I tell
you what : its not enough for me to be so arrogant and condescending
that I know everything. Not enough for me to think that I can solve
every problem. I think someone who "Boasts" so, might be a bit closer to
home Bill.

Or maybe you have something to add other than the usual "me too" licks?

> --
> Linux is not a desktop OS for people
> whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".
> That eliminates a lot of wintrolls then.

--
Rule of Open-Source Programming #8:

Open-Source is not a panacea.

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 7:08:38 AM9/7/06
William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> writes:

> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Thu, 07 Sep 2006
> 07:32:01 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin oe_protect.scr
>> Bob Hauck <postm...@localhost.localdomain> espoused:

>>> Someone who calls himself a "kernel hacker" ought to know the anser to
>>> this question.

really? You clearly have no idea between doing a job and knowing an OS
inside out then.

>> The questions he's asked have been of such a fundamental nature that I
>> doubt he's got any linux experience at all.
>
> I'm sure he hasn't.

Oh god. Here we go.

And you know what : its NOT so fundamental - I have not made a career of
installing Linux. So, no, I dont know 100% how it works. And guess,
what, I had hoped I would never have to know.

>> Of course, it's possible that he's deliberately trashed a machine in
>> order to prove some point -
>
> Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.

Good old Boaster : adds nothing.

>> these trolls are hardly rational by most standards...
>
> Trolls are not rational, that's why they....er.....troll.

You're back in the killfile : you're deranged.

> --
> Linux is not a desktop OS for people
> whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".
> That eliminates a lot of wintrolls then.

--
Post no bills.

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 7:10:46 AM9/7/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Of course, it's possible that he's deliberately trashed a machine in
>>> order to prove some point -
>
>> Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.
>
> To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls themselves.
> :)

Agreed.

But Boaster would offer no help to anyone. Why? Because he is unable to.

This "fix it wourself its Linux & therefore easy" attitude is blatantly
not true, or it would be more successful.

Even the slightest browse of google with the parameters I provided
reveals a host of people with issues similar to mine. And there is no
single easy solution :(

--
Post no bills.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 7:32:56 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
> Everything was going fine until now. Now this.

> Firstly, I'm an HW & SW engineer. I have spent *ages* on this. I have
> purged, reinsstalled ALSA.

But alsa is now part of the kernel, and it wasn't a kernel update that
caused the problem...

> I have followed every "how to" under the sun.

Which most likely detail how to get sound working in the first place (at the
kernel level), and this worked and now doesn't implying faulty something.

ESD.

> have reported my HW one million times. I have checked drivers are
> working. I have tweaked alsaconf in every conceivable way. I have
> enabled & re-enabled everything you can think of.

Did you disable esd though?

>> Now... What broke sound?
>> Was it a kernel update? (shakes head) Was it a hardware replacement (shakes
>> head)... No... It was a GNOME update, wasn't it? (nods head)

> I DONT know. I assume it was. #1 rule - assume nothing.

>> The only thing that can really break sound in gnome is esd (enlightenment
>> sound daemon). Disable it, if sound works, bingo, problem located.
>> Reinstall *JUST* esd from install CD.

> Doesnt work.

> And part of the problem is that I have followed so many howto's & now I
> couldnt be 100% about the integarity of everything now - there are so
> many "delete this, link thats" - after a while one gets a bit pissed off
> and forgets to unwind certain steps.

I'm not an ubuntu user... but if you remember what it was you were
deleting/linking/fiddling and messing up, it should just be a matter of
deleting those offending files and reinstalling the relevant packages.
Then use whatever setup tools ubuntu include to reconfigure sound?

>>> There are files owned by root, news and mail too. So how to change old
>>> "hadrons" to "new hadrons", old "news " to "new news"? Must I do it one by
>>> one?
>>
>> Why would you have root and news owned files in your home directory?

> Because certain apps create them like that.

>> If I ever get something like that after fiddling during an su, I get too
>> irritated by permission denieds and chown the things back to me.
>>
>> I've always found news maintained it's UID across installs.
>> Are you sure news has had a new one assigned?

> Not yet : because I have not reinstalled yet. But thinking about it,
> it'll probably be fine - ditto for root.

definitely for root.
root is always UID 0.

> I aprpeciate your help : but less of the McFly bit thanks.

Tsk, just a little humour to make a point. When an update breaks something,
don't immediately go diving into the hardware config when the update didn't
include kernel bits.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

William Poaster

Sep 7, 2006, 7:48:22 AM9/7/06
13:46:14 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>
>> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> did eloquently scribble:
>>
>>> Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.
>>
>> To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls
>> themselves.
>> :)
>>

> "Hadron" certainly does not need (nor deserve) any help. Especially not in
> this NG. First he boasts about his linux knowledge (including being a
> kernel hacker). And yet all the time showing that he is clearly basically
> clueless.

Exactly.

> And then he comes with such stuff like "his sound no longer working" and
> having no clue what to do about it?

Pfffffffft...

> I don't even believe that *he* has the problem. He is very probably
> running a liveCD, just like DumbFullShit.
> He has scrounged, in good old flatfish tradition, some "problem" from
> other NGs and pretends he has it

And as for not helping "would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls", no
it wouldn't. BS. *They* made their bed, they can lie on it IMO.

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 7:50:54 AM9/7/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Everything was going fine until now. Now this.
>
>> Firstly, I'm an HW & SW engineer. I have spent *ages* on this. I have
>> purged, reinsstalled ALSA.
>
> But alsa is now part of the kernel, and it wasn't a kernel update that
> caused the problem...

I dont know what broke it.

I will reinstall tonight.

--
female, n.:
Life support system for a pussy.

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 8:17:59 AM9/7/06
Peter Köhlmann <peter.k...@t-online.de> writes:

> spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>
>> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> did eloquently scribble:
>>
>>> Could be. In any case, with his attitude, why bother helping him.
>>
>> To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls
>> themselves.
>> :)
>>

> "Hadron" certainly does not need (nor deserve) any help. Especially not in
> this NG. First he boasts about his linux knowledge (including being a

I certainly wouldnt be asking help from you : yuo can be sure of that.

> kernel hacker). And yet all the time showing that he is clearly basically
> clueless.

LOL. No, I dont know everything. But I am clueless because my sound is
bolloxed? LOL. Yeah, right.

Go read this:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&hs=cjx&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=ubuntu+atiixp+no+sound&spell=1

> And then he comes with such stuff like "his sound no longer working" and
> having no clue what to do about it?

I had a clue : it didnt work.

> I don't even believe that *he* has the problem. He is very probably running
> a liveCD, just like DumbFullShit.

Yeah, probably. Yawn. No wonder you're so killfiled by sane people.

> He has scrounged, in good old flatfish tradition, some "problem" from other
> NGs and pretends he has it

Fuckaduck : you're mad as a hatter. And know nothing about anti-aliasing.

> --
> I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Sep 7, 2006, 6:53:52 AM9/7/06
begin In <l295t3-...@ridcully.ntlworld.com>, on 09/07/2006

at 10:35 AM, spi...@freenet.co.uk said:

>To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls
>themselves.

NFW. Help is not an entitlement. Refusing to encourage a bad attitude
is not the same as attempting to disrupt a news group that you don't
like.

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johan Lindquist

Sep 7, 2006, 9:02:27 AM9/7/06
So anyway, it was like, 14:47 CEST Sep 07 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,

flatfish+++ was all like, "Dude,
> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:46:21 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:

>> Is google broken? ghost4linux, even works with ms windows ime.
>

> OMG!
>
> http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/ghost4linux/index.html

Your google really /is/ broken, isn't it? If you had picked the first
hit instead of the second (well, actually any link from the first page
of hits /except/ the second one, it seems), you might have found a
clue instead of a document from last year.

> You're kidding right?

Do you go out of your way to be this remarkably obtuse, or does it
just come naturally to you? No, don't answer that.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *

14:58:10 up 60 days, 22:27, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 9:21:13 AM9/7/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 12:44:27 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>

>> Everything was going fine until now. Now this.
>>
>> Firstly, I'm an HW & SW engineer. I have spent *ages* on this. I have
>> purged, reinsstalled ALSA. I have followed every "how to" under the sun. I
>> have reported my HW one million times. I have checked drivers are
>> working. I have tweaked alsaconf in every conceivable way. I have
>> enabled & re-enabled everything you can think of.
>>
>> I am not alone as google will telly you.
>>
>>> Now... What broke sound?
>>> Was it a kernel update? (shakes head) Was it a hardware replacement (shakes
>>> head)... No... It was a GNOME update, wasn't it? (nods head)
>>
>> I DONT know. I assume it was. #1 rule - assume nothing.
>

> ALSA is a wart on Linux.
> It is confusing, does not work well and overly complicated.
> Documentation for PROGRAMMING ALSA is all over the place but
> documentation, especially distribution specific documentation on how to
> fix ALSA when it breaks, or doesn't work, is difficult to locate.

I was told ALSA is the way forward. I'm totally confused by Ubuntu
sound now. ALA, ESD, OSS ... it just goes on & on.

Needless to say I'm "thick" because I cant figure it out.

> Windows just does not have these sound issues.
> About the biggest confusion is WDM vs ASIO drivers and that is only in the
> professional world.

>> And part of the problem is that I have followed so many howto's & now I
>> couldnt be 100% about the integarity of everything now - there are so
>> many "delete this, link thats" - after a while one gets a bit pissed off
>> and forgets to unwind certain steps.
>

> That is the problem with Linux.
> Information overload and outdated, non distribution specific information.
>
> CUPS
> Samba
> Xorg/X11 etc
>
> all have the same problems.
> Confusing, outdated and non distro specific information all over the net.

I must agree,

What I find interesting is only spike1 (and even he "McFly'd me...) had
anything even half helpful to say : the rest (Kohlmann & co) hint at
knowing the dark secrets but clearly have no idea. Kohlmann even reckons
I'm making the problem up : despite literally thousands of google hits
to the contrary.

Because I have been modifying and fixing some low level c in Linux
doesnt mean I automatically understand the sound "architecture" or the
way permissions work between installs. It seems the COLA gang reckon
they know the lot : but are just unwilling to share. Now, would that
have anything to do with the poor uptake of Linux? I think we should be
told.

As for Willy Boaster : "pffft". Sums him up.

--
Might not be suitable for persons suffering from weak hearts.

flatfish+++

Sep 7, 2006, 9:45:29 AM9/7/06
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 15:21:13 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> I was told ALSA is the way forward. I'm totally confused by Ubuntu
> sound now. ALA, ESD, OSS ... it just goes on & on.

Yes ALSA is the system that is supposed to be the "official" Linux
soundsystem so you are best trying to get it to work properly.

You might find some good information in the Gentoo ALSA guide here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

> Needless to say I'm "thick" because I cant figure it out.

Classic Linux Zealot tactic.
Always blame the user.

> What I find interesting is only spike1 (and even he "McFly'd me...) had
> anything even half helpful to say : the rest (Kohlmann & co) hint at
> knowing the dark secrets but clearly have no idea. Kohlmann even reckons
> I'm making the problem up : despite literally thousands of google hits
> to the contrary.

That's because chances are good they haven't got a clue as to how to go
about fixing your problem.

It's also denial that a problem exists.

You see, COLA is a very special place inhabited by very special people.
These people constantly seem to have problems with Windows, but never seem
to have problems with Linux.

Post a problem with Linux, even if 1000's of others are complaining about
the same problem, and the COLA gang will deny it.

> As for Willy Boaster : "pffft". Sums him up.

Yea.
William poaster is an empty suit if ever there was one.

yttrx

Sep 7, 2006, 10:08:47 AM9/7/06

You got your answer to your original question, so what the fuck is your
problem? If you cant figure the shit out, fucking reinstall it and
shut the FUCK up.

Dickhead.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

yttrx

Sep 7, 2006, 10:10:24 AM9/7/06
"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spam...@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:
> begin In <l295t3-...@ridcully.ntlworld.com>, on 09/07/2006
> at 10:35 AM, spi...@freenet.co.uk said:
>
>>To not offer help would reduce us to the level of the wintrolls
>>themselves.
>
> NFW. Help is not an entitlement. Refusing to encourage a bad attitude
> is not the same as attempting to disrupt a news group that you don't
> like.

And besides that, he asked on the wrong motherfucking newsgroup. Advocacy
groups are not your personal tech support, hadron. There's a bunch of
groups SPECIFICALLY for that purpose, so go the fuck over to one of them
and post your goddamn shit there, DICKFUCK.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Jesse F. Hughes

Sep 7, 2006, 10:11:45 AM9/7/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> Well, a reinstall would.
> Cos if it worked the first time you installed, there's no reason why a
> reinstall wouldn't the second time... But it's not the correct way to fix
> something.

I agree entirely. Hadron, you should really reconsider this. A
reinstall is an unnecessary hassle. There has to be a simpler
solution (say, finding out what package(s) did the deed and
downgrading it).

I have been using Linux since 1996. I don't believe that I ever have
re-installed the O/S to fix any problem (aside from the time my
webserver was hacked and a rootkit installed!).
--
"'Every man who has ever lived holds tight to the belief that for him
alone the laws of probability are canceled out by love[...] Therefore,

Kier

Sep 7, 2006, 10:42:37 AM9/7/06
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:45:29 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 15:21:13 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>

>> I was told ALSA is the way forward. I'm totally confused by Ubuntu
>> sound now. ALA, ESD, OSS ... it just goes on & on.
>
> Yes ALSA is the system that is supposed to be the "official" Linux
> soundsystem so you are best trying to get it to work properly.
>

> You might find some good information in the Gentoo ALSA guide here:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
>

>> Needless to say I'm "thick" because I cant figure it out.
>
> Classic Linux Zealot tactic.

Clasic flatfish lie. Always insult the advocate.

> Always blame the user.
>

>> What I find interesting is only spike1 (and even he "McFly'd me...) had
>> anything even half helpful to say : the rest (Kohlmann & co) hint at
>> knowing the dark secrets but clearly have no idea. Kohlmann even reckons
>> I'm making the problem up : despite literally thousands of google hits
>> to the contrary.
>
> That's because chances are good they haven't got a clue as to how to go
> about fixing your problem.

Several people have posted fixes. He's ignored most of them to insist on
reinstalling. Frankly, it amazes me anyone wants to bother helping him,
after his arrogant dismissal of most of the Linux advocates here as
'assmunchers' and 'me-toos'.

> It's also denial that a problem exists.
>
> You see, COLA is a very special place inhabited by very special people.
> These people constantly seem to have problems with Windows, but never seem
> to have problems with Linux.

Liar.

If you get your head any further up Hadron's arse , he'll need a tow truck
to get you out when he wants a shit.

--
Kier

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 10:58:57 AM9/7/06
"Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> writes:

> spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:
>
>> Well, a reinstall would.
>> Cos if it worked the first time you installed, there's no reason why a
>> reinstall wouldn't the second time... But it's not the correct way to fix
>> something.
>
> I agree entirely. Hadron, you should really reconsider this. A
> reinstall is an unnecessary hassle. There has to be a simpler
> solution (say, finding out what package(s) did the deed and
> downgrading it).
>
> I have been using Linux since 1996. I don't believe that I ever have
> re-installed the O/S to fix any problem (aside from the time my
> webserver was hacked and a rootkit installed!).

I never did it with windows either : (

I need my sound : I dont know what caused the issue.

I dont know what else to do.

Yes, I realise it might just break again : but since Ive now mastered
the art of moving my HOME to an external USB drive on its own partition
and compiled the necessary file system drivers into the core kernel it
should all be simple enough.

> --
> "'Every man who has ever lived holds tight to the belief that for him
> alone the laws of probability are canceled out by love[...] Therefore,
> you will marry Guinevere. You do not want advice --- only agreement.'
> Merlin sighed..." -- John Steinbeck

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 10:57:06 AM9/7/06
yt...@yttrx.net (yttrx) writes:

tatto get infected? Take an aspirin.

The reason I ask here is that no one there can get it working. Yet this
NG is full of Linux Ninjas who can fix anything : needless to say they
havent been much help.

> -----yttrx

oh, it is!

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 10:55:37 AM9/7/06
yt...@yttrx.net (yttrx) writes:

Actually I didn't. I got told that I was an idiot for not being able to
figure it out. Someone else started telling me about ESD (I use ALSA).

> shut the FUCK up.
>
> Dickhead.

I thought your name was yttrx?

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 11:02:35 AM9/7/06
Kier <val...@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:45:29 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 15:21:13 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>>

>>> I was told ALSA is the way forward. I'm totally confused by Ubuntu
>>> sound now. ALA, ESD, OSS ... it just goes on & on.
>>
>> Yes ALSA is the system that is supposed to be the "official" Linux
>> soundsystem so you are best trying to get it to work properly.
>>

>> You might find some good information in the Gentoo ALSA guide here:
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
>>

>>> Needless to say I'm "thick" because I cant figure it out.
>>
>> Classic Linux Zealot tactic.
>
> Clasic flatfish lie. Always insult the advocate.
>
>> Always blame the user.
>>

>>> What I find interesting is only spike1 (and even he "McFly'd me...) had
>>> anything even half helpful to say : the rest (Kohlmann & co) hint at
>>> knowing the dark secrets but clearly have no idea. Kohlmann even reckons
>>> I'm making the problem up : despite literally thousands of google hits
>>> to the contrary.
>>
>> That's because chances are good they haven't got a clue as to how to go
>> about fixing your problem.
>
> Several people have posted fixes. He's ignored most of them to insist on
> reinstalling. Frankly, it amazes me anyone wants to bother helping
> him,

Fact : NOONE has posted fixes. The most helpful was spike1 : but it was
still no joy. In fact, he was about the only person with any practical
advice. Apologies to anyone else who did that I might have missed.

If you could repost these "fixes" I would be very, very grateful. Come
on .... Despite the fact that I posted google links to thousands of
similar issues. Are you going to deny it? Oh, please do. Make yourself
look even more like one of the COLA gangs lap dogs.

> after his arrogant dismissal of most of the Linux advocates here as
> 'assmunchers' and 'me-toos'.

Like you're being here? Not only that : but telling lies too.

>> It's also denial that a problem exists.
>>
>> You see, COLA is a very special place inhabited by very special people.
>> These people constantly seem to have problems with Windows, but never seem
>> to have problems with Linux.
>

> Liar.
>
> If you get your head any further up Hadron's arse , he'll need a tow truck
> to get you out when he wants a shit.

Too late : Mark'n'Roy already have that assigned to them. I believe
Marks got a parking spot available for you though :-;

> --
> Kier

Kier

Sep 7, 2006, 11:21:14 AM9/7/06

Make yourself look even more like an arrogant dickhead, why don't you?

>> after his arrogant dismissal of most of the Linux advocates here as
>> 'assmunchers' and 'me-toos'.
>
> Like you're being here? Not only that : but telling lies too.

Wrong.

>>> It's also denial that a problem exists.
>>>
>>> You see, COLA is a very special place inhabited by very special people.
>>> These people constantly seem to have problems with Windows, but never seem
>>> to have problems with Linux.
>>

>> Liar.
>>
>> If you get your head any further up Hadron's arse , he'll need a tow truck
>> to get you out when he wants a shit.
>
> Too late : Mark'n'Roy already have that assigned to them. I believe
> Marks got a parking spot available for you though :-;

Don't know what you're talking about here, since it's flatfish's head up
*your* arse that I was talking about. Maybe it's stuck so far up you can't
remove it except by surgery and it's affecting your brain.

It seems you don't mind him me-tooing for you, do you?

--
Kier

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Sep 7, 2006, 11:21:01 AM9/7/06
Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
> Actually I didn't. I got told that I was an idiot for not being able to
> figure it out. Someone else started telling me about ESD (I use ALSA).

ESD is a daemon that sits on top of the drivers allowing more than one sound
source access to sound devices only capable of handling one.

It sits on top of ALSA, it's not a seperate driver set like OSS/ALSA.

Hadron Quark

Sep 7, 2006, 11:40:15 AM9/7/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:

> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Actually I didn't. I got told that I was an idiot for not being able to
>> figure it out. Someone else started telling me about ESD (I use ALSA).
>
> ESD is a daemon that sits on top of the drivers allowing more than one sound
> source access to sound devices only capable of handling one.
>
> It sits on top of ALSA, it's not a seperate driver set like OSS/ALSA.

Actually I believe (from what Ive read) that this is not (always) the case. ALSA
has its own sound server.

In gnome : gstreamer-properties

Also:

To be honest, I dont know anymore. I'm more than a little confused, but
thanks for trying to help - I appreciate it.

> --
> | spi...@freenet.co.uk | |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
> | in | suck is probably the day they start making |
> | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge |

Gross, adj.:
When your bloody mary still has the string in it.

chrisv

Sep 7, 2006, 12:44:31 PM9/7/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

>> And besides that, he asked on the wrong motherfucking newsgroup. Advocacy
>> groups are not your personal tech support, hadron. There's a bunch of
>> groups SPECIFICALLY for that purpose, so go the fuck over to one of them
>> and post your goddamn shit there, DICKFUCK.
>
>tatto get infected? Take an aspirin.
>
>The reason I ask here is that no one there can get it working. Yet this
>NG is full of Linux Ninjas who can fix anything : needless to say they
>havent been much help.

You expect "help" after your Wintrollery in here? Sheesh.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 7, 2006, 1:12:30 PM9/7/06
On 2006-09-07, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> writes:
>
>> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Wed, 06 Sep 2006
>> 23:48:34 +0000, spike1 wrote:
>>
>>> Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> did eloquently scribble:

>>> To fix sound? It isn't.
>>
>> I thought Quack knew everything about linux.
>>

> According to wankers like you, I dont even use it.

You do certainly give that impression.

[deletia]

--
If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing |||

http://www.usenet.com

JEDIDIAH

Sep 7, 2006, 1:14:15 PM9/7/06
On 2006-09-06, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Geico Caveman <sp...@spam.invalid> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark wrote:
>>

>>> Some of you have stated that you keep your /home on a spare partition
>>> or that you had backups in case of the need to re-install.
>>>
>>> Please, now is the time to help! I have to reinstall to get my sound back.
>>
>> How do you know that a reinstall is needed ?
>
> Because there are instances out there where fellow dapper users lost
> their sound & despite spending days following howtos, the only thing
> that worked for them was a reinstall. I really dont want to do it, but I
> need my sound working.

All this is is reverting to a known good copy of the system.

It's a backup and recovery procedure, not reall problem
remediation. The sensible thing is to rollback whatever
is broken or likely broken.

William Poaster

Sep 7, 2006, 6:23:54 PM9/7/06

12:12:30 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2006-09-07, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> William Poaster <w...@suseoss101.eu> writes:
>>
>>> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Wed, 06 Sep

>>> I thought Quack knew everything about linux.
>>>

>> According to wankers like you, I dont even use it.
>
> You do certainly give that impression.

From replies I've seen to him, he doesn't know some of the basic things.
So I, like some others, don't believe he uses linux.
Another trait of trolls, is replying directly to people who have kf'd them.
Quack's living up to his nym.

Kelsey Bjarnason

Sep 7, 2006, 7:14:10 PM9/7/06
[snips]

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 07:30:55 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

> For our linux-knowledge-challenged troll, the default ID for the first new
> user is 1000:1000.

Or 501. Or other weirder things.

yttrx

Sep 7, 2006, 7:18:40 PM9/7/06

Yes you did. You got a few answers all about UIDs and how permissions
work, and a few suggestions about how to handle the reinstall.

Instead of doing it, you just bitched some more.

So goddamnit, shut the fuck up already and read the goddamn, motherfucking
manual.

Fuckass bitchwhore.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Jim Richardson

Sep 7, 2006, 11:19:31 PM9/7/06

My theory is that the great success of Windoze is based entirely on
providing someone to blame....
Jon Tillman in ASP

Hadron Quark

Sep 8, 2006, 12:21:11 AM9/8/06
Jim Richardson <war...@eskimo.com> writes:

No I didnt "blow anyone off" at all : FYI I had already "saved my home
dir" and the reason I was doing it was because of the the reinstall
needed for the sound issue. I was asking about people who had done this
repartitioning thing to save "home" so that they could share their
secrets with regard to permissions : something that was a help. I wasnt
going to go flying in and reinstall until someone had verified that it
would work fine so long as I restored the same UID & GUIDs. I got some
ok information on that : but more so from the ubuntu ng I think it was -
they tended not to be keen to call me "stupid" or "making it up" etc as
is so typical here. I shall share my reinstall story tomorrow : it was a
mixed bag.

If you want to see any "blowing off", then you should refer to the
replies that suggest I was an idiot to reinstall and that the problem
with the sound should be "easy to fix in Linux" etc etc. All this
despite me providing links to the contrary.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2006, 12:02:44 PM9/12/06
On 2006-09-07, Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> wrote:
> spi...@freenet.co.uk writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Actually I didn't. I got told that I was an idiot for not being able to
>>> figure it out. Someone else started telling me about ESD (I use ALSA).
>>
>> ESD is a daemon that sits on top of the drivers allowing more than one sound
>> source access to sound devices only capable of handling one.
>>
>> It sits on top of ALSA, it's not a seperate driver set like OSS/ALSA.
>
> Actually I believe (from what Ive read) that this is not (always) the case. ALSA
> has its own sound server.

That just means that it provides a component for the next layer
up. That doesn't negate the basic OSS vs. ALSA distinction.

[deletia]

The ALSA guys provide for different parts of the "onion".

--
Sophocles wants his cut. |||
/ | \

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2006, 12:04:54 PM9/12/06
On 2006-09-07, spi...@freenet.co.uk <spi...@freenet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hadron Quark <qadro...@geemail.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Oh...
>>> So Kelsey's tale of woe is due to Windows screwing up but this one is
>>> blamed on the user?
>>>
>>> Typical Linux Zealot.
>>>

>> I believe a gnome update screwed it up : its out there in google.
>
> What distro? If it's RPM based, the old rpms may still exist in the update

If it's an apt based distro then his debs will still be sitting
on his harddrive (/var I believe) and he can just remove the new gnome
and put the old gnome back.

[deletia]

The key idea here is to ROLL BACK. Ideally apt-get or yum should
automate that but it should be possible to easily deal with this even if
it doesn't.

Mark Kent

Sep 12, 2006, 5:14:09 PM9/12/06
begin oe_protect.scr
JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> espoused:

It's increasingly clear why he didn't understand the distinction I was
drawing between client/server networking layers and peer-peer services.
His knowledge is, well, slight.

"... freedom ... is a worship word..."
"It is our worship word too."
-- Cloud William and Kirk, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown