[News] IBM Ponders Making DB2 Free Software!

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 16, 2008, 11:11:07 PM6/16/08

IBM may open source DB2

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM is positive about the possibility of bringing out its DB2
| database-management software under an open-source licence.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39434137,00.htm

Related:

IBM's EnterpriseDB stake: not what you think

,----[ Quote ]
| Ergo, this deal is IBM dipping its feet gingerly into a back door challenge
| to Oracle, not MySQL. Ever since IBM held back on its own SQL database
| invention, allowing Oracle to grab leadership of the market, it has always
| responded by making DB2 cheaper. But it still plays second banana. Investing
| a modest chunk in EnterpriseDB is a way of having somebody else test drive a
| new strategy for carving a wedge inside the Oracle market, something that IBM
| has hungered for going back at least 20 years.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/07/ibm_enterprisedb_stake/

Agri Stats Selects Enterprise Open Source DB, Dumps IBM DB2

,----[ Quote ]
| The renowned stability and reliability of EnterpriseDB's PostgreSQL
| foundation was a key factor in Agri Stats? decision to replace DB2
| with EnterpriseDB. Since the switch, Agri Stats has enjoyed
| trouble-free operation.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/284787_p.htm

Open Season: Firm bets the farm on open source database

,----[ Quote ]
| When the xBase database's large size made custom reporting using
| xBase impractical, Agri Stats chose IBM's DB2 Workgroup Edition
| relational database as an upgrade to both xBase and DB2/400. However,
| DB2's instability and frequent crashes in the test environment made
| it unsuitable for Agri Stats' mission-critical production needs.
|
| Since the switch to EnterpriseDB, executives from Agri Stats said the
| firm has enjoyed trouble-free operation.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1219937,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/m3gkz

Jerry McBride

Jun 17, 2008, 5:32:00 PM6/17/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> IBM may open source DB2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | IBM is positive about the possibility of bringing out its DB2
> | database-management software under an open-source licence.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39434137,00.htm

If they do a gpl2 or a gpl3 licensed version of DB2... I'll move every
database I touch to using it...

Awesome news.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcb...@mail-on.us)

Ezekiel

Jun 17, 2008, 9:55:48 AM6/17/08

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

> IBM may open source DB2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | IBM is positive about the possibility of bringing out its DB2
> | database-management software under an open-source licence.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39434137,00.htm

Dream on. Why would a for profit company like IBM give their software away
for free?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20080616/tc_infoworld/103884;_ylt=AmF9e7XQAAIsqz8ly9tEXuMjtBAF

<quote>
San Francisco - IBM said Monday that it doesn't plan to open-source its DB2
database, despite a published report quoting a company executive in the U.K.
saying that an open-source move might become necessary.

</quote>