[News] Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 12:57:13 PM9/11/08

Enhancing multi-screen user interfaces using Ghosd and Synergy

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike traditional single-screen setups, multi-screen display systems
| require special consideration for user interfaces (UIs). This article
| presents tools and code designed to address the acquisition and change of
| input focus across multiple displays.
|
| Few modifications to your work environment can create a productivity change
| as dramatic as adding an additional monitor. The open source Synergy package
| provides an excellent method of linking many displays without purchasing
| additional hardware.
|
| Unlike traditional single-screen setups, multi-screen display systems require
| special consideration for UIs. This article presents tools and code designed
| to address the acquisition and change of input focus across multiple
| displays. By enhancing existing X Window System focus information using Ghosd
| displays and the Synergy debug-level output, multi-screen users can know
| precisely where their input focus is even on displays 4200x3150 pixels and
| larger.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ghosd-synergy/index.html

Recent:

ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.

,----[ Quote ]
| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
| currently available.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080902113646_ATI_to_Enable_High_Definition_Video_Playback_on_Linux_Based_Computers.html

If it's animation or special effects, it's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Rowe's not just being a Linux booster. It's the Gospel truth. The animation
| and FX for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Star Wars: The
| Clone Wars; WALL-E; 300; The Golden Compass; Harry Potter and the Order of
| the Phoenix; and I Am Legend, to name but a few recent movies, were all
| created using Pixar's RenderMan and Autodesk Maya running on Linux clusters.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/if_its_animation_or_special_effects_its_linux

Related:

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9865829-16.html

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.
`----

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Digital Domain
|     * Disney
|     * Double Negative
|     * DreamWorks Animation
|     * Flash Film Works
|     * Hammerhead
|     * Industrial Light & Magic
|     * Moving Picture Company
|     * Pixar
|     * Rhythm & Hues
|     * Sony Pictures
|     * Tippett
|     * Weta Digital
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

Open Source: Ready for Its Closeup

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 3:53:10 PM9/11/08

> ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
>| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
>| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
>| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
>| currently available.
> `----
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080902113646_ATI_to_Enable_High_Definition_Video_Playback_on_Linux_Based_Computers.html

Cool. Let's see how it plays out.

--
What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.

Subway steel

Sep 11, 2008, 4:02:35 PM9/11/08

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

> Enhancing multi-screen user interfaces using Ghosd and Synergy

I have run and tried multi-head displays with Windows. It works fine and is
incredibly easy to setup.

Windows has supported multiple monitors 'out of the box' since Windows-98.
What part of this article is supposed to impress people?

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 4:05:31 PM9/11/08

I was sort of wondering that myself. I've been running muli-head for quite a
while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
Maybe they will finally get a good multi-head story.

--
Tom Shelton

Subway steel

Sep 11, 2008, 4:19:13 PM9/11/08

"Tom Shelton" <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message

The part of the subject line that reads "Try *that* with Win32/OSX" really
caught my attention. OSX is where I saw my first demo of multiple monitors.
Does Roy actually think that Linux innovated this or something?

I never used multiple monitors with Win98 but started using them with Win2k
at work because it made it really easy to debug GUI apps. Debugger in
monitor and the GUI app in the other. I've run dual monitors at home for a
few years now. I did manage to get it working with SUSE Linux but it
definitely was not a project for the faint of heard. Numerous tweaks to
xorg.conf were needed and now that it works I'm afraid to touch it because
of the pain.

In Windows it was trivial. I don't know the exact number but I think that
WinXP can handle about 9 or 12 monitors. Arranging them is easy to because
from the Display Properties panel you can arrange the monitors by simply
"dragging" them to their physical location.

*EASY* connection and configuration of multiple monitors has been available
in OSX and Windows for about a decade now. The "Try *that with ...."
headline shows just how far out of touch with reality some people are.

- ss

> --
> Tom Shelton

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 4:35:18 PM9/11/08

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 4:34:41 PM9/11/08

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 4:37:12 PM9/11/08

Subway steel

Sep 11, 2008, 4:50:07 PM9/11/08

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

- "Quake 3 on 24 monitors."

Okay... and with XP out of the box you can easily run up to 16 monitors. Are
people not going to use Windows because it only supports 16 monitors? Unless
this is some sort of practical limitation then it has no bearing on users.
(The most I've ever seen anyone use is 4 monitors and that was only once.)

- ss

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 5:04:43 PM9/11/08
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

> I was sort of wondering that myself. I've been running muli-head for quite a
> while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.

Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
(OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.

--
Fourteen years in the professor dodge has taught me that one can argue
ingeniously on behalf of any theory, applied to any piece of literature.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 5:15:44 PM9/11/08

- --
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Swap: 4088500k total, 3804k used, 4084696k free, 623484k cached

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 5:17:32 PM9/11/08

Hadron

Sep 11, 2008, 5:57:21 PM9/11/08
Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

The Binary Nvidia drivers that ship with Debian are good. very good. My
dual head system works wonderfully. Sure more fannying around was needed
than with windows but when I finally got it all working it has been
pretty stable. Of course when I update the kernel and reboot X is broken
but logging into a full screen as root and doing the special
incantations soon recompiles the drivers for that new kernel
version. Why this should be necessary is anyones guess.

See here to be amazed at how ridiculous it all is:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--
"Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

JEDIDIAH

Sep 11, 2008, 5:36:22 PM9/11/08
On 2008-09-11, Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> I was sort of wondering that myself. I've been running muli-head for quite a
>> while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
>
> Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.

Givem the features built into X gui's since at least 1994, I have
never really seen much motivation for having more than one monitor. I
would be hard placed to find a spot for it really. (camera, phone, archos,
media server, printer, speakers, laptop.

I need to find a permanent home for the HDTV STB and the Hauppauge
1212 and get them off the floor.

Proper h264 acceleration sounds cool though. Although I will only
believe it when it see it. Plus you've got to wonder what sort of
gotchas go along with it since Vista was supposedly fouled up with
DRM in order to get the same sort of support built in and blessed
by the studios.

Then again perhaps without explicity AACS support there won't
be an obvious cause of action for the MPAA.

--
Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:32:25 PM9/11/08
On 2008-09-11, Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> I was sort of wondering that myself. I've been running muli-head for quite a
>> while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
>
> Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.

I don't care about that - that happens with windows sometimes. All I ever
get are, either mirrored desktops (usless) or one continues desktop -
where when you maximize an app it goes accross both monitors. I have
never gottne it to act as if they are truely separate displays. And
after 3 or 4 hours of trying I gave up. It takes about 5 minutes or less to
setup dual monitors in windows.

--
Tom Shelton

Hadron

Sep 11, 2008, 6:37:25 PM9/11/08
Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

Nvidia? Set them up as separate X screens. You can do this with the
"applications/system tools/NVidia X Server" Settings utility under gnome.

--
BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:39:05 PM9/11/08
On 2008-09-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 11 September 2008 21:04 : \____
>
>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> I was sort of wondering that myself. I've been running muli-head for quite
>>> a while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
>>
>> Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
>> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.
>
> Utter bull. I've done multi-head with 3 distros and 2 GPU vendors and there was
> never an issue. X handles it well. Maybe your graphics card was bad (or came
> with bad drivers).

No, your fabricating:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors
[
Based on my own experiences from using a dual-monitor setup in Gentoo
for quite some time, I have decided to write a little howto on how to
do it, for using both Xinerama and separate screens. I've even gotten
3d acceleration working (if not at the best possible speeds) in both
setups.

Does setting up a dualhead under linux really have to be so hard? It's
so elementary!
]

Dual monitor support is a pain - it doesn't always work correctly. X handles
it very, very badly, IMHO.

I like linux, and I support Linux, but dual head support is crap in my
experience.

--
Tom Shelton

Hadron

Sep 11, 2008, 6:41:31 PM9/11/08
Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

It was very poor a while back in both Ubuntu and Debian but has improved
a lot with the closed source binary Nvidia drivers at the very least.

Warning : if using Debian do NOT use the Nvidia installer. You will hose
your system and get zero support from the Debian crowd. You must go the
nvidia-glx way.

ATI sucks the big one as far as Linux support goes and I dumped ATI as a
result.

--
"Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
-- Rick <no...@nomail.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:42:38 PM9/11/08
On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:
>
>> On 2008-09-11, Subway steel <f...@bar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

>>> I have run and tried multi-head displays with Windows. It works fine and is
>>> incredibly easy to setup.
>>>
>>> Windows has supported multiple monitors 'out of the box' since Windows-98.
>>> What part of this article is supposed to impress people?
>>>

>> I was sort of wondering that myself. I've been running muli-head for quite a
>> while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
>> Maybe they will finally get a good multi-head story.
>
> The Binary Nvidia drivers that ship with Debian are good. very good. My
> dual head system works wonderfully. Sure more fannying around was needed
> than with windows but when I finally got it all working it has been
> pretty stable. Of course when I update the kernel and reboot X is broken
> but logging into a full screen as root and doing the special
> incantations soon recompiles the drivers for that new kernel
> version. Why this should be necessary is anyones guess.
>
> See here to be amazed at how ridiculous it all is:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

I never said it flat out doesn't work - it does after a fashion. But every
attempt I've made at it (all nvidia cards with nvidia binaries) has failed to
really work the way I like it. It's either one big screen, with apps not
respecting monitor boundries (maximizing accross both monitors) or mirrored.

Maybe it has gotten better in the last year or so, but my last attempt left me
completely numb.

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:45:35 PM9/11/08
On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't run gnome. I hate gnome - I run fluxbox, xfce, or kde. In that order.
I've been through most of the tutorials I could find - but they either made
the screens as above, or separate instances so they could not interact.

Maybe, I'll give it another go sometime.

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:48:20 PM9/11/08
On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, maybe I'll try it out again. It's been about a year or so ago.

> Warning : if using Debian do NOT use the Nvidia installer. You will hose
> your system and get zero support from the Debian crowd. You must go the
> nvidia-glx way.

I don't run debian (ocassionally ubuntu) - but gentoo. And the same warning
applies there. You always should install from portage.

> ATI sucks the big one as far as Linux support goes and I dumped ATI as a
> result.

No kidding. I don't run ati because I often dual boot machines - I only buy
nvidia now.

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:49:05 PM9/11/08

That should be kubuntu - i hate gnome :)

--
Tom Shelton

Hadron

Sep 11, 2008, 6:52:55 PM9/11/08
Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

> On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

>>> I don't care about that - that happens with windows sometimes. All I ever
>>> get are, either mirrored desktops (usless) or one continues desktop -
>>> where when you maximize an app it goes accross both monitors. I have
>>> never gottne it to act as if they are truely separate displays. And
>>> after 3 or 4 hours of trying I gave up. It takes about 5 minutes or less to
>>> setup dual monitors in windows.
>>
>> Nvidia? Set them up as separate X screens. You can do this with the
>> "applications/system tools/NVidia X Server" Settings utility under gnome.
>>

> I don't run gnome. I hate gnome - I run fluxbox, xfce, or kde. In
> that order.

I'm interested how you can like xfce and kde and "hate Gnome".

> I've been through most of the tutorials I could find - but they either made
> the screens as above, or separate instances so they could not
> interact.

Oh I see. You want to be able to drag between them? Sorry. My second
head is a TV and I use it solely for mplayer for movies and online
streaming.

> Maybe, I'll give it another go sometime.

--
"Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 11, 2008, 7:31:41 PM9/11/08

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:08:59 PM9/11/08

> X-powa!

> Quake 3 on 24 Monitors
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB01Cp_wPM

I wonder why Tom and Subway went off the deep end like they did?
They're thinking 24 video cards in one box, but its really 12 boxes
recruited to run one instance of a game on 24 monitors.

The out-in-the-ozone Windows lamers who commented are pretty funny:

milzan4life (4 days ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
those lines are horrible just go into a white pure painted room and
place the projector as further in the back, pop in a gaming pc and th
e hd projector and a g25 and some gaming gear and you're off

DVOCALIST1 (4 days ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
wat is the point in spendin so much money on this stuff wen u can
just by a ps3 and a projector how much better would dat be

jcdenton7 (5 days ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
cheap projector = $550

AsoK1988 (5 days ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
its called...projector....

Interesting that they're all "Marked as spam".

--
You can now buy more gates with less specifications than at any other time
in history.

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:10:14 PM9/11/08
* Subway steel peremptorily fired off this memo:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB01Cp_wPM
>
> - "Quake 3 on 24 monitors."
>
> Okay... and with XP out of the box you can easily run up to 16 monitors. Are
> people not going to use Windows because it only supports 16 monitors? Unless
> this is some sort of practical limitation then it has no bearing on users.
> (The most I've ever seen anyone use is 4 monitors and that was only once.)

I think you need to thunk Subway in the head until his eyes focus on
just how many machines are involved in playing that one game.

--
Standing on head makes smile of frown, but rest of face also upside down.

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:17:15 PM9/11/08
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=cqB01Cp_wPM&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DcqB01Cp_wPM

You have to look for some pretty old comments to understand the setup:

Jibes (2 months ago) Show Hide
Seriously, what's with all the stupid in these comments?

People, they didn't just set up a cluster with 24 screens to be able to
boast about playing Quake on it. (Though that probably added some degree
of motivation.)

It was, as stated, a proof of concept. Use 12 computers and use them to
calculate one game image, split on 24 screens. That's pretty durned
amazing.

What kind of computers did you use, and how many changes did you have to
do to the quake engine to make this work?

As one other commentor said:

dackjaniels555 (2 months ago) Show Hide
THANK YOU for explaining it to these ASSCLOWNS!

--
Children's talent to endure stems from their ignorance of alternatives.
-- Maya Angelou, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:23:17 PM9/11/08
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On 2008-09-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 11 September 2008 21:04 : \____
>>
>>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
>>> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.
>>
>> Utter bull. I've done multi-head with 3 distros and 2 GPU vendors and there was
>> never an issue. X handles it well. Maybe your graphics card was bad (or came
>> with bad drivers).
>>

> No, your fabricating:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors
> [
> Based on my own experiences from using a dual-monitor setup in Gentoo
> for quite some time, I have decided to write a little howto on how to
> do it, for using both Xinerama and separate screens. I've even gotten
> 3d acceleration working (if not at the best possible speeds) in both
> setups.
>
> Does setting up a dualhead under linux really have to be so hard? It's
> so elementary!
>]
>
> Dual monitor support is a pain - it doesn't always work correctly. X handles
> it very, very badly, IMHO.
>
> I like linux, and I support Linux, but dual head support is crap in my
> experience.

Sure it is, Tom, sure it is.

I'm running with two Nvidia cards, a 1440x900 LCD monitor, and a
1280x1024 CRT, on a 64-bit system.

Problem? Well, running Big Buck Bunny across the two screens gets
pretty slow. Everything else is fine.

I'm running Nvidia twinview on my laptop and an LCD connected to a
docking station at work. Both at 1920x1200. The only issue is the
splash screen coming up on both (instead of being centered on one).

I'd hardly call that "crap". Unless you explain yourself, I'll consider
it a deviation from your normally balanced view of things.

By the way, how do you get 12 XP systems to merge into one 24-monitor
virtual monitor?

--
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:38:54 PM9/11/08
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

Hadron's a bit wrong. You don't have to do it Debian's way at
all, if you build your kernel yourself, or if you install the source
package. I update the kernel every few weeks on my laptop:

1. Download new kernel from kernel.org.
2. Unpack in /usr/src/
3. Copy .config from previous build (or from /boot).
4. "make oldconfig" to bring in any new kernel features.
5. "make menuconfig" to change the name of the kernel (I add a "-ca"
suffix).
6. "make" and "make modules"
7. Copy System.map, .config, and vmlinuz to /boot, giving them names
with the kernel version in them.
8. Use mkinitramfs to make a new initrd image and treat it as in 7.
9. Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst
10. Reboot.
11. Kill gdm and run the nvidia installer. Restart gdm.
12. Run the VMware installer.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but it's not bad, and I can do it without
consulting notes now. Less complex, really, than the Debian steps
Hadron alludes. And I end up with the latest kernel.

Some say I'm taking a risk (with the openGL libraries), but I have yet
to be burned by it.

--
Workers of the world, arise! You have nothing to lose but your chairs.

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:50:14 PM9/11/08

Odd. I found it easy to get two separate X displays; but I prefer one
big-ass screen.

And on that one screen, apps maximize properly -- just fill the monitor
it is sitting in.

Maybe you should go back to a better window manager: fluxbox <grin>.

Here's the relevant xorg.conf sections:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Default Card"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "TwinView" "true"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "true"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-81"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "56-76"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "NVIDIA Default Card"
Monitor "Laptop Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "true"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-81"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "56-76"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"

Not sure if the redundancy in some of the settings is needed.

There is one minor pain in the ass, though. If I want to take my laptop into
a conference room and use the overhead project in dual-screen mode, I have
to copy over a tweaked xorg.conf for the low-res projector and then cycle through the various screen modes using the blue keys on the laptop.

I hate the nvidia X configurator, by the way. It junks up the settings
for dual monitors.

--
Parts that positively cannot be assembled in improper order will be.

Hadron

Sep 11, 2008, 8:49:34 PM9/11/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It was very poor a while back in both Ubuntu and Debian but has improved
>>> a lot with the closed source binary Nvidia drivers at the very least.
>>
>> Well, maybe I'll try it out again. It's been about a year or so ago.
>>
>>> Warning : if using Debian do NOT use the Nvidia installer. You will hose
>>> your system and get zero support from the Debian crowd. You must go the
>>> nvidia-glx way.
>>
>> I don't run debian (ocassionally ubuntu) - but gentoo. And the same warning
>> applies there. You always should install from portage.
>
> Hadron's a bit wrong. You don't have to do it Debian's way at
> all, if you build your kernel yourself, or if you install the source

No one was talking about building own kernels.

> package. I update the kernel every few weeks on my laptop:
>
> 1. Download new kernel from kernel.org.
> 2. Unpack in /usr/src/
> 3. Copy .config from previous build (or from /boot).
> 4. "make oldconfig" to bring in any new kernel features.
> 5. "make menuconfig" to change the name of the kernel (I add a "-ca"
> suffix).
> 6. "make" and "make modules"
> 7. Copy System.map, .config, and vmlinuz to /boot, giving them names
> with the kernel version in them.
> 8. Use mkinitramfs to make a new initrd image and treat it as in 7.
> 9. Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst
> 10. Reboot.
> 11. Kill gdm and run the nvidia installer. Restart gdm.
> 12. Run the VMware installer.

You totally miss the point. Everything you posted above has NOTHING to
do with the video installer except the 11 point which is WRONG. You
should not use the nvidia installer. Debian support will not help if you
do.

Bad I know, thats the way it is.

Build kernel or not, do not use it. Use the Nvidia-glx package and
follow the instructions previously linked to.

> Sounds like a lot of steps, but it's not bad, and I can do it without
> consulting notes now. Less complex, really, than the Debian steps
> Hadron alludes. And I end up with the latest kernel.

And using the nvidia installer which is not supported or
recommended.

If you think all those steps is easier that synatpic install of a new
kernel and the issuing of

update-pciids && apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-source && m-a prepare && m-a a-i nvidia && apt-get install nvidia-glx && depmod -a && modprobe nvidia && dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

as root then you're deluded.

> Some say I'm taking a risk (with the openGL libraries), but I have yet
> to be burned by it.

I have. And its a pain.

--
"There is no such thing as Intellectual Property"
Mark Kent

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 8:54:06 PM9/11/08
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

Really, this is a case where a bit of google will help you find better
options than the nvidia configurator (unless it's changed drastically in
the last year.)

I've come to view xorg.conf as a pretty cool way to set things up.

Plus you can put settings in for a number of different screen layouts,
and then select one of them with startx (IIRC).

--
We're living in a golden age. All you need is gold.
-- D. W. Robertson.

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 9:01:49 PM9/11/08
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

I've been doing dual-monitors for a couple/three years now, first with
Intel video and then with Nvidia video.

Windows is easier in this regard, even if the vendor installed a
crap-ass video configuration app of their own. But I have had Windows
updates screw up the dual-monitor settings, and before XP SP2, had the
dual monitor stop working for no reason (fixed by reconfiguring it
again).

What Hadron neglects to understand in his silly jibe about the
complexity of the debian way is all the things that have to be done to
get all the packages necessary to install the necessary kernel files and
Debian infrastructure and to download and run NVidia's installer.

But so what? Put it in a script and copy it to your dongle for
safe-keeping.

--
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.
-- Jimmy Cannon

Linonut

Sep 11, 2008, 9:02:44 PM9/11/08

> X-powa!
>
> Quake 3 on 24 Monitors
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB01Cp_wPM

... and 12 computers.

--
The primary difference [...] is that the Java programm will reliably and
obviously crash, whereas the C Program will do something obscure

Hadron

Sep 11, 2008, 9:08:06 PM9/11/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Binary Nvidia drivers that ship with Debian are good. very good. My
>>> dual head system works wonderfully. Sure more fannying around was needed
>>> than with windows but when I finally got it all working it has been
>>> pretty stable. Of course when I update the kernel and reboot X is broken
>>> but logging into a full screen as root and doing the special
>>> incantations soon recompiles the drivers for that new kernel
>>> version. Why this should be necessary is anyones guess.
>>>
>>> See here to be amazed at how ridiculous it all is:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>>
>> I never said it flat out doesn't work - it does after a fashion. But every
>> attempt I've made at it (all nvidia cards with nvidia binaries) has failed to
>> really work the way I like it. It's either one big screen, with apps not
>> respecting monitor boundries (maximizing accross both monitors) or mirrored.
>>
>> Maybe it has gotten better in the last year or so, but my last attempt left me
>> completely numb.
>
> I've been doing dual-monitors for a couple/three years now, first with
> Intel video and then with Nvidia video.

Big deal. I had dual head on Windows 10 years ago.

> Windows is easier in this regard, even if the vendor installed a

Yes. It is.

> crap-ass video configuration app of their own. But I have had Windows
> updates screw up the dual-monitor settings, and before XP SP2, had the
> dual monitor stop working for no reason (fixed by reconfiguring it
> again).

Why that is relevant to Linux dual head is quite beyond me.

> What Hadron neglects to understand in his silly jibe about the
> complexity of the debian way is all the things that have to be done to
> get all the packages necessary to install the necessary kernel files and
> Debian infrastructure and to download and run NVidia's installer.

Hadron doesnt neglect to understand anything here. It should be
automagically done.

> But so what? Put it in a script and copy it to your dongle for
> safe-keeping.

Is that like your pee-pee?

--
"Well we know Quack is an inveterate liar & troll with no credibility, so
you cannot take *anything* he says as being true."

Snit

Sep 11, 2008, 10:03:39 PM9/11/08
"Linonut" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> stated in post
R9jyk.28415$kh2....@bignews3.bellsouth.net on 9/11/08 6:01 PM:

> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Binary Nvidia drivers that ship with Debian are good. very good. My
>>> dual head system works wonderfully. Sure more fannying around was needed
>>> than with windows but when I finally got it all working it has been
>>> pretty stable. Of course when I update the kernel and reboot X is broken
>>> but logging into a full screen as root and doing the special
>>> incantations soon recompiles the drivers for that new kernel
>>> version. Why this should be necessary is anyones guess.
>>>
>>> See here to be amazed at how ridiculous it all is:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>>
>> I never said it flat out doesn't work - it does after a fashion. But every
>> attempt I've made at it (all nvidia cards with nvidia binaries) has failed to
>> really work the way I like it. It's either one big screen, with apps not
>> respecting monitor boundries (maximizing accross both monitors) or mirrored.
>>
>> Maybe it has gotten better in the last year or so, but my last attempt left
>> me
>> completely numb.
>
> I've been doing dual-monitors for a couple/three years now, first with
> Intel video and then with Nvidia video.

Macs have been doing dual monitors since 1987... good that the rest of the
computing world caught up - Windows in 1998 (I think) and then Linux.

--
God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

Norman Peelman

Sep 11, 2008, 10:36:02 PM9/11/08
Linonut wrote:
> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> On 2008-09-11, Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
>>> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.
>> I don't care about that - that happens with windows sometimes. All I ever
>> get are, either mirrored desktops (usless) or one continues desktop -
>> where when you maximize an app it goes accross both monitors. I have
>> never gottne it to act as if they are truely separate displays. And
>> after 3 or 4 hours of trying I gave up. It takes about 5 minutes or less to
>> setup dual monitors in windows.
>
> Odd. I found it easy to get two separate X displays; but I prefer one
> big-ass screen.
>
> And on that one screen, apps maximize properly -- just fill the monitor
> it is sitting in.
>
> Maybe you should go back to a better window manager: fluxbox <grin>.

<snip>

4 monitors here, all independent, no problems. I get a mirrored screen
during boot (from bios up to but not including login) and during
shutdown. I don't use xinerama or twinview but plan on experimenting.

> There is one minor pain in the ass, though. If I want to take my laptop into
> a conference room and use the overhead project in dual-screen mode, I have
> to copy over a tweaked xorg.conf for the low-res projector and then cycle through the various screen modes using the blue keys on the laptop.
>
> I hate the nvidia X configurator, by the way. It junks up the settings
> for dual monitors.

...never had it mess anything up, in fact it helped by inserting the
proper modelines for my monitors.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 11, 2008, 11:34:21 PM9/11/08

I've been trying for 3 days to get dual head working with Ubuntu Hardy ,
Nvidia FX5500 card and 2 DIFFERENT LCD screens.

By different I mean different refresh rates and screen size.

I'm about to give up...........

I've been to 15 different sites, tried all kinds of methods of getting this
to work and the best I can get is with the Nvidia-Old driver which comes up
in "low graphics mode" 640x480 but at least puts a raster on both monitors.

That is the WRONG driver for my card BTW so I am back to the Nvidia-New
driver which is correct.
I have tried installing from Synaptic which just bungles things, even for a
single monitor (either one connected by itself) and gets refresh rates
wrong.

Then I discovered this Envy thing (envyng) which is a Python script that
goes and gets the right Nvidia driver, removes incorrect drivers and more
or less fixes things.

Well at least it got the one monitor refresh rate correct and lets me now
select 1680x1050 @60hz for a single monitor.
It still does nothing with the other monitor.

I want the second monitor at 1440x900 @75hz ( It's 19 in LCD wide)

I added the following to my Xorg.conf and still no good.

So why does this have to be so difficult under Linux?

You know what I did under Windows?

I plugged the second monitor in.
THAT"S IT....
It worked.

I bring up Nuendo and I can drag between monitors with zero troubles.

Why can't Linux manage to do this?

Here's my file:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
*only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"

Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Option "“TwinView”"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "AOC LCD"
Option "DPMS" *****Primary Monitor...This one works****
Horizsync 30-83
Vertrefresh 50-76
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Unknown" ********Secondary Monitor..No work***
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2008, 4:59:49 AM9/12/08

This has been is OS X forever, and earlier versions of MacOS even longer.

When you order a Mac Pro from Apple, for example, you can configure it
with up to 4 graphics cards, with each card supporting two 2560 x 1600
displays.

I believe similar things can be done in Windows. It's fairly common in
the financial world, where people need to have a lot of information
available without the hassle of dealing with overlapping windows.

--
--Tim Smith

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 12, 2008, 5:23:55 AM9/12/08

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 5:35:57 AM9/12/08
Norman Peelman <npee...@cfl.rr.com> writes:

You make it sound if that is some sort of breakthrough.

Frankly you sound like another "me too" nym.

You'll be boasting that DPMS works next too.

--
"Maybe he knows where the body is because he saw where
it was put." -- "Rick" defending Hans Reiser (his hero) in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 5:38:58 AM9/12/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> writes:

This is the problem. Way too many out of date FAQs/HOWTOs written by
pimply fan boyz who have written them wrong anyway. Googling these up is
a breeze, recovering from their wrong advice is not so trivial half the
time.

One of the best resources is

http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/#nvidia-driver

I have (under Debian) a SONY LCD monitor and an LCD TV plugged in with
no problems.

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 5:39:34 AM9/12/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

Shhh. Liarnut thinks he's bleeding edge here.

--
"Hey, who needs mp3, wma, acc when we can have ogg?"
-- "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Norman Peelman

Sep 12, 2008, 7:23:19 AM9/12/08

...not at all, just my mileage.

> You'll be boasting that DPMS works next too.

Well, actually it does... this is a custom built AMD64X2 6400+ and my
monitors go through the normal screensaver/poweroff just like they
should. Linux (for the everyday person) has some ground to cover in some
areas, but it's nothing that can't be overcome.

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 7:25:26 AM9/12/08
Norman Peelman <npee...@cfl.rr.com> writes:

I was joking. It works just fine in most cases - as it should.

The entire NVidia video experience has improved a lot recently and hats
off to them for supporting Linux so well. Minus several million points
to the Debian developers however for attempting to inhibit the NVidia
binary driver adoption leading to broken systems and people utilising
only 10% of the features of their new NVidia HW under Linux.

--
"The fact that they have been selling alpha HW which cant even make a
phone call? That sounds like successful to me if the aim was to get some

Linonut

Sep 12, 2008, 7:58:16 AM9/12/08
* Norman Peelman peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> I hate the nvidia X configurator, by the way. It junks up the settings
>> for dual monitors.
>
> ...never had it mess anything up, in fact it helped by inserting the
> proper modelines for my monitors.

Cool, I'll have to check it out again, thanks.

--
It takes a special kind of courage to face what we all have to face.

Linonut

Sep 12, 2008, 8:00:59 AM9/12/08
* Norman Peelman peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Hadron wrote:
>>>>
>>> ...never had it mess anything up, in fact it helped by inserting the
>>> proper modelines for my monitors.
>>
>> You make it sound if that is some sort of breakthrough.
>>
>> Frankly you sound like another "me too" nym.
>
> ...not at all, just my mileage.
>
>> You'll be boasting that DPMS works next too.
>
> Well, actually it does... this is a custom built AMD64X2 6400+ and my
> monitors go through the normal screensaver/poweroff just like they
> should. Linux (for the everyday person) has some ground to cover in some
> areas, but it's nothing that can't be overcome.

Pay no attention to Hadrone Queeg. That guy could fuck up a steel ball,
and it's effects on his self-esteem make him prickly and prone to
suspicion and denunciation.

Kind of like this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Queeg

--
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
-- Chinese proverb

Linonut

Sep 12, 2008, 8:02:49 AM9/12/08

Another "open mouth insert foot" poster on the topic of 1 virtual screen
made up of 24 monitors on 12 computers.

Incredible.

--
I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to
see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 8:10:53 AM9/12/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * Norman Peelman peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> You make it sound if that is some sort of breakthrough.
>>>
>>> Frankly you sound like another "me too" nym.
>>
>> ...not at all, just my mileage.
>>
>>> You'll be boasting that DPMS works next too.
>>
>> Well, actually it does... this is a custom built AMD64X2 6400+ and my
>> monitors go through the normal screensaver/poweroff just like they
>> should. Linux (for the everyday person) has some ground to cover in some
>> areas, but it's nothing that can't be overcome.
>
> Pay no attention to Hadrone Queeg. That guy could fuck up a steel
> ball,

And yet it was YOU who uses the wrong installer. It is YOU now having to
check out the Nvidia settings configurator which YOU maintained broke
your xorg file. Do you EVER tell the truth you preening little wannabe?

You really are f*cking pathetic.

> and it's effects on his self-esteem make him prickly and prone to
> suspicion and denunciation.
>
> Kind of like this guy:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Queeg

Err, yeah. Good one.

--
"What's wrong, (p)Rick? Were you defending the innocence of Hans "The
Linux Butcher" Reiser, and now that he's about to give up the body

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 12, 2008, 8:28:43 AM9/12/08

Subway steel

Sep 12, 2008, 10:12:36 AM9/12/08

"Linonut" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message

>* Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> X-powa!
>>
>> Quake 3 on 24 Monitors
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB01Cp_wPM
>
> I wonder why Tom and Subway went off the deep end like they did?
> They're thinking 24 video cards in one box, but its really 12 boxes
> recruited to run one instance of a game on 24 monitors.

To me this is less impressive than one box running 24 monitors. Why do they
need a dozen computers just to run Quake?

- ss

> The out-in-the-ozone Windows lamers who commented are pretty funny:
>
> milzan4life (4 days ago) Show Hide
> Marked as spam
> those lines are horrible just go into a white pure painted room and
> place the projector as further in the back, pop in a gaming pc and th
> e hd projector and a g25 and some gaming gear and you're off
>
> DVOCALIST1 (4 days ago) Show Hide
> Marked as spam
> wat is the point in spendin so much money on this stuff wen u can
> just by a ps3 and a projector how much better would dat be
>
> jcdenton7 (5 days ago) Show Hide
> Marked as spam
> cheap projector = $550
>
> AsoK1988 (5 days ago) Show Hide
> Marked as spam
> its called...projector....
>
> Interesting that they're all "Marked as spam".
>
> --
> You can now buy more gates with less specifications than at any other time
> in history.
> -- Kenneth Parker

Tom Shelton

Sep 12, 2008, 10:14:07 AM9/12/08
On 2008-09-11, Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

>>> Nvidia? Set them up as separate X screens. You can do this with the
>>> "applications/system tools/NVidia X Server" Settings utility under gnome.
>>>

>> I don't run gnome. I hate gnome - I run fluxbox, xfce, or kde. In
>> that order.
>
> I'm interested how you can like xfce and kde and "hate Gnome".

Gnome is to watered down. I don't mind the look of it, but it seems a bit
whimpy on the configuration options. xfce is sort of a Gnome light, that you
can configure :)

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 12, 2008, 10:22:07 AM9/12/08

It's common in the developer world as well.

--
Tom Shelton

RonB

Sep 12, 2008, 10:24:33 AM9/12/08
Tom Shelton wrote:

> Gnome is to watered down.  I don't mind the look of it, but it seems a bit
> whimpy on the configuration options.  xfce is sort of a Gnome light, that
> you can configure

And it can be configured to look and work a lot like KDE.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 10:38:41 AM9/12/08
"Subway steel" <f...@bar.com> writes:

> "Linonut" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
>>* Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> X-powa!
>>>
>>> Quake 3 on 24 Monitors
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB01Cp_wPM
>>
>> I wonder why Tom and Subway went off the deep end like they did?
>> They're thinking 24 video cards in one box, but its really 12 boxes
>> recruited to run one instance of a game on 24 monitors.
>
> To me this is less impressive than one box running 24 monitors. Why do they
> need a dozen computers just to run Quake?

Dual head video card in each one I suspect. Impressive if each machine
then only renders the area it is responsible for. Would be some frame
rate.

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 10:40:05 AM9/12/08
Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

What do you want to configure that makes you hate it though? To me Gnome
is nothing more than a reliable interface to the applications I use. Low
resources, fast, reliable, configurable. Unlike KDE which is buggy and
tries to be too much to too many people.

--
"The Linux community re-invents the wheel every month or so. The only
problem is, their version is square"

chrisv

Sep 12, 2008, 10:42:05 AM9/12/08
Tom Shelton wrote:

> Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>>
>> When you order a Mac Pro from Apple, for example, you can configure it
>> with up to 4 graphics cards, with each card supporting two 2560 x 1600
>> displays.
>>
>> I believe similar things can be done in Windows. It's fairly common in
>> the financial world, where people need to have a lot of information
>> available without the hassle of dealing with overlapping windows.
>
>It's common in the developer world as well.

Common to have 8 monitors??

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 11:03:48 AM9/12/08

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!
Hadron!!

That solved the problem....

Now why isn't the Nvidia settings program installed in the menu when I
install the proprietary driver?
That would have been the first place I would have looked had I known about
it!

It's in the freaking taskbar when you install the driver under Windows, but
like I said I didn't even need to use it.

Just plug the second monitor in and it worked.

Why so many seriously outdated FAQ that don't work?

That link you posted, should be posted at the top of every single forum on
the offcial Ubuntu site because those same questions are asked over and
over again and in many cases the wrong answers, given by well meaning
people, are posted.

The only problem I am having is that my background images are squashed and
stretched across the two monitors instead of being one image on each
monitor.

Even looking at themes/background images the pictures are squashed and
rectangle looking.

Minor problem though, everything else seems to work.

Thanks again!!

And who says Hadron doesn't help Linux users!

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 11:08:53 AM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:28:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Tom Shelton on Thursday 11 September 2008 22:32 : \____
>
>> On 2008-09-11, Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Bullshit. Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
>>> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.
>>>

>> I don't care about that - that happens with windows sometimes. All I ever
>> get are, either mirrored desktops (usless) or one continues desktop -
>> where when you maximize an app it goes accross both monitors. I have
>> never gottne it to act as if they are truely separate displays. And
>> after 3 or 4 hours of trying I gave up. It takes about 5 minutes or less to
>> setup dual monitors in windows.
>
> You're doing something wrong or you just don't know how to configure your DE.
> It's a GUI option.

So instead of playing the *me too* card, why don't you, Roy Schestowitz,
with all of your expertise in Linux, tell him how to do it?

Write a small FAQ and post it here as well as in the Ubuntu group.

If it works as well as dual monitors work under Windows and is pretty much
as easy to do, you will be a hero..

You won't though.
Because you're not getting paid to do it like you get paid to spew...

Hey, I just got an idea!!

Since much of your digg and propeller posts scarf links and reddirect them
to your own sites, why not post a "Ubuntu Guaranteed To Work Dual Monitor
FAQ" on digg?
In this case of course use your own site.

I will almost guarantee you that it will hit the front page.
Why?
Because it's a nightmare getting this to work unless you know the right
incantation or the correct Google search argument.

Hadron

Sep 12, 2008, 11:16:22 AM9/12/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> writes:

I have posted more help in the Ubuntu forums (and others) that the rest
of COLA put together. I am currently giggling at Liarnut trying to be
the sage old man in the Debian group - faking interest in the
corrections posted to his incorrect garbage. He is actually maintaining
its easier to compile your own kernel in order to get NVidia driver
working.

He is, of course, wrong.

--
If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
*less* than Win 98 by a factor of two.

Tom Shelton

Sep 12, 2008, 11:52:19 AM9/12/08

Who said anything about having 8 monitors - i was just commenting that it is
common to have multiple displays. I usually run two - though, three would be
better :)

--
Tom Shelton

chrisv

Sep 12, 2008, 12:19:09 PM9/12/08
Tom Shelton wrote:

>Who said anything about having 8 monitors

Tim did. Whatever.

Linonut

Sep 12, 2008, 1:00:20 PM9/12/08
* Subway steel peremptorily fired off this memo:

> "Linonut" <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote in message
>>* Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>

>>> Quake 3 on 24 Monitors
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB01Cp_wPM
>>
>> I wonder why Tom and Subway went off the deep end like they did?
>> They're thinking 24 video cards in one box, but its really 12 boxes
>> recruited to run one instance of a game on 24 monitors.
>
> To me this is less impressive than one box running 24 monitors. Why do they
> need a dozen computers just to run Quake?

They don't, silly.

It's a demonstration of clustering and X Windows.

Where are you going to find a PC with 24 card slots anyway? <eyes roll>

--
The annual meeting of the "You Have To Listen To Experience" Club is now in
session. Our Achievement Awards this year are in the fields of publishing,
advertising and industry. For best consistent contribution in the field of
publishing our award goes to editor, R.L.K., [...] for his unrivaled alle-
giance without variation to the statement: "Personally I'd love to do it,
we'd ALL love to do it. But we're not going to do it. It's not the kind of
book our house knows how to handle." Our superior performance award in the
field of advertising goes to media executive, E.L.M., [...] for the continu-
ally creative use of the old favorite: "I think what you've got here could be
very exciting. Why not give it one more try based on the approach I've out-
lined and see if you can come up with something fresh." Our final award for
courageous holding action in the field of industry goes to supervisor, R.S.,
[...] for her unyielding grip on "I don't care if they fire me, I've been
arguing for a new approach for YEARS but are we SURE that this is the right
time--" I would like to conclude this meeting with a verse written specially
for our prospectus by our founding president fifty years ago -- and now, as
then, fully expressive of the emotion most close to all our hearts --
Treat freshness as a youthful quirk,
And dare not stray to ideas new,
For if t'were tried they might e'en work
And for a living what woulds't we do?

Linonut

Sep 12, 2008, 1:01:25 PM9/12/08
* chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

Or 24 connected to 12 machines, all displaying the same application
instance?

--
Every time I think I know where it's at, they move it.

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2008, 1:04:24 PM9/12/08
In article <vRsyk.28673$kh2....@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:

> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
> > This has been is OS X forever, and earlier versions of MacOS even longer.
> >
> > When you order a Mac Pro from Apple, for example, you can configure it
> > with up to 4 graphics cards, with each card supporting two 2560 x 1600
> > displays.
> >
> > I believe similar things can be done in Windows. It's fairly common in
> > the financial world, where people need to have a lot of information
> > available without the hassle of dealing with overlapping windows.
>
> Another "open mouth insert foot" poster on the topic of 1 virtual screen
> made up of 24 monitors on 12 computers.
>
> Incredible.

You are confused. There may have been something about tying multiple
computers together somewhere in one of the articles Schestowitz linked
to, but the parts he chose to extract and quote in his post was about
the UI difficulty of handling multi-screen displays.

What he quoted in his posts, combined with the subject line, combine to
make a claim that OS X and Windows do not handle multiple screens well,
period.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2008, 1:09:06 PM9/12/08
In article <gadddf$111$2...@registered.motzarella.org>,

Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been to 15 different sites, tried all kinds of methods of getting this
> > to work and the best I can get is with the Nvidia-Old driver which comes up
> > in "low graphics mode" 640x480 but at least puts a raster on both
> > monitors.
>
> This is the problem. Way too many out of date FAQs/HOWTOs written by
> pimply fan boyz who have written them wrong anyway. Googling these up is
> a breeze, recovering from their wrong advice is not so trivial half the
> time.

Worse, a large number of them don't have dates or don't give exact
version numbers of the programs they are for and are using, so you have
no reasonable way of figuring out that they are out of date.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2008, 1:12:16 PM9/12/08
In article <gae164$db3$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have posted more help in the Ubuntu forums (and others) that the rest
> of COLA put together. I am currently giggling at Liarnut trying to be

Maybe you could give Roy a hand. He accidently banned [H]omer from his
IRC channel, and has been trying for a couple days now to figure out how
to rescind the ban.

--
--Tim Smith

Linonut

Sep 12, 2008, 1:29:01 PM9/12/08

Obsession with what Roy said, and not what the video showed, noted.

--
The computer should be doing the hard work. That's what it's paid to do,
after all.

Rex Ballard

Sep 12, 2008, 2:08:46 PM9/12/08
On Sep 11, 10:53 pm, Linonut <lino...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:

Support of multiple display screens is nothing new to X11 (the display
system used on Linux desktops as well as most Unix desktops).

There was a restaurant in New York City's Greenwich Village, on 7th
avenue, that had a display system made of of 64 screens in an 8 by 8
configuration. Diners would watch a 20 minute "loop" display, in
which the screens sometimes worked independently, sometimes worked in
unison to display one large picture, sometimes broke into quadrants,
and various other combinations. Animations ranged from bouncing balls
to sci-fi style special effects. The system was a number of X11
server displays. These were coordinated by a Unix server (Silicon
Graphics?).

I first went there after reading about it in a local NYC publication
(Village Voice), and asked the owner how the system worked. He was
quite proud of the system and happy to share as much detail as you
wanted with any who asked.

As is the case with so many NYC restaurants, the novelty wore off
after a few years and the ownership and management changed, and the
display was removed.

Silicon Graphics uses as many as 32 screens in simulators to simulate
everything from ariel combat to docking the space shuttle, to tank
combat to house to house infantry training. Each of these simulators
is designed to create as close to a realistic environment as possible,
so that when the troops get out into real combat, they are better
prepared for a wider variety of scenarios than they could afford to do
in "Live Rounds" combat excercises (due to the very high cost of this
type of excercise).

My understanding is that even Predator "pilots" use this type of
technology to fly the Predator in real-world combat situations. The
combination of cameras, computer aided image enhancement, targeting
systems, and other advanced sensors, can then be fed to multiple
display screens, allowing the "pilot" to get as close to an "in the
cockpit" experience as possible, while still in the safety of the
military command center. The result is that the "pilots" can fly more
missions, can get far more experience, and can even learn from their
mistakes - because they aren't fatal to the actual pilot.

This also lets the pilots take far more "risk" than a traditional
fighter/bomber pilot could take, getting closer to the target, staying
around the target longer, and assuring that as much as possible is
done before withdrawing.

Microsoft got very excited when they could do "dual-head" displays,
with the release of Windows XP. The frustration among the Linux
community was that you couldn't stick more graphics cards in the PC so
that you could have more displays per PC.

> > ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.

> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
> >| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
> >| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
> >| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
> >| currently available.
> > `----
>
> >http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080902113646_ATI_to...
>
> Cool.  Let's see how it plays out.
>
> --
> What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 3:21:04 PM9/12/08

There are a lot of people in the Ubuntu forum complaining of Xorg/hardware
detection not getting the monitor/video card correct or even if it is
identified correctly, not being able to select proper refresh rates.

I'm new to Ubuntu but apparently something changed with Hardy.

Look at this nightmare for example:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915955&highlight=dual+monitor

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 3:24:13 PM9/12/08

Hahaha!

I missed that one....

He must have used one of Willy Poaster's kill files or firewall scripts.

Knowing Schestowitz he probably blocked at the ISP level like he did last
time he played with filters in COLA..

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 3:51:06 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:08:46 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

> On Sep 11, 10:53 pm, Linonut <lino...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
> Support of multiple display screens is nothing new to X11 (the display
> system used on Linux desktops as well as most Unix desktops).

Of course they are not new.

Now actually getting them to WORK without a degree in CS, now that would be
new.

> There was a restaurant in New York City's Greenwich Village, on 7th
> avenue, that had a display system made of of 64 screens in an 8 by 8
> configuration.

I thought they shut the RamRod down?

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2008, 4:25:32 PM9/12/08
In article <5Axyk.27547$XB4....@bignews9.bellsouth.net>,

> >> Another "open mouth insert foot" poster on the topic of 1 virtual screen
> >> made up of 24 monitors on 12 computers.
> >>
> >> Incredible.
> >
> > You are confused. There may have been something about tying multiple
> > computers together somewhere in one of the articles Schestowitz linked
> > to, but the parts he chose to extract and quote in his post was about
> > the UI difficulty of handling multi-screen displays.
> >
> > What he quoted in his posts, combined with the subject line, combine to
> > make a claim that OS X and Windows do not handle multiple screens well,
> > period.
>
> Obsession with what Roy said, and not what the video showed, noted.

What video? I see no video on:

<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/
os-ghosd-synergy/index.html>

And you purposefully playing dumb, or what? When Roy says something
here, and people look deeper into it and find problems, you claim they
are obsessed for not limiting themselves to his words here. And now,
commenting on his words here, rather than digging through an article to
find and watch some obscure alleged video, is obsession?

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Sep 12, 2008, 4:42:30 PM9/12/08
In article <vRsyk.28673$kh2....@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

> > This has been is OS X forever, and earlier versions of MacOS even longer.
> >
> > When you order a Mac Pro from Apple, for example, you can configure it
> > with up to 4 graphics cards, with each card supporting two 2560 x 1600
> > displays.
> >
> > I believe similar things can be done in Windows. It's fairly common in
> > the financial world, where people need to have a lot of information
> > available without the hassle of dealing with overlapping windows.
>
> Another "open mouth insert foot" poster on the topic of 1 virtual screen
> made up of 24 monitors on 12 computers.
>
> Incredible.

OK, I've went to Google to pull the entire thread, and now see how
Linonut has become so confused. Apparently, he has overlooked that
messages in Usenet threads form trees, and some of us are discussing
parts of the tree that do not contain the 24 monitor/12 computer post.

--
--Tim Smith

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 4:44:27 PM9/12/08

LiarMUTT is roy schestowitz's lap dog.
He will unequivocally do whatever Roy says and unconditionally back up his
every post.
It doesn't matter if what Roy Schestowitz says is totally false, LiarMUTT
will still *met t00* the post.

You'd think he would have the brains to at least read them before he
swallows them...

Rex Ballard

Sep 12, 2008, 5:14:12 PM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 10:51 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:08:46 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
> > On Sep 11, 10:53 pm, Linonut <lino...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
> > Support of multiple display screens is nothing new to X11 (the display
> > system used on Linux desktops as well as most Unix desktops).
>
> Of course they are not new.
>
> Now actually getting them to WORK without a degree in CS, now that would be
> new.

Actually, it's not all that hard. Several of the Window managers
including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
inverse of the virtual desktop. You can even move you mouse across
all the screens as if they were all one desktop. Open Motif also
shares this capability.

IIRC, KDE and GNOME also have this capability, which just requires
configuration of the composite desktop by mapping the displays. This
can also be used for managing the local desktop and the projector
display separately.

> > There was a restaurant in New York City's Greenwich Village, on 7th
> > avenue, that had a display system made of of 64 screens in an 8  by 8
> > configuration.
>
> I thought they shut the RamRod down?

What is the RamRod? This place was on about 9th street and 7th
avenue.

> --
> Moshe Goldfarb
> Collector of soaps

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 5:38:54 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

> On Sep 12, 10:51 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Support of multiple display screens is nothing new to X11 (the display
>>> system used on Linux desktops as well as most Unix desktops).
>>
>> Of course they are not new.
>>
>> Now actually getting them to WORK without a degree in CS, now that would be
>> new.
>
> Actually, it's not all that hard. Several of the Window managers
> including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
> ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
> inverse of the virtual desktop. You can even move you mouse across
> all the screens as if they were all one desktop. Open Motif also
> shares this capability.
>
> IIRC, KDE and GNOME also have this capability, which just requires
> configuration of the composite desktop by mapping the displays. This
> can also be used for managing the local desktop and the projector
> display separately.

Wonderful.
Now make it work.....

>>> There was a restaurant in New York City's Greenwich Village, on 7th
>>> avenue, that had a display system made of of 64 screens in an 8  by 8
>>> configuration.
>>
>> I thought they shut the RamRod down?
>
> What is the RamRod? This place was on about 9th street and 7th
> avenue.

Close enough....

http://www.huzbears.com/nychistory/gv.html

>> --
>> Moshe Goldfarb
>> Collector of soaps
> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

--
Moshe Goldfarb

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2008, 6:33:47 PM9/12/08
On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 10:51 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Support of multiple display screens is nothing new to X11 (the display
>> > system used on Linux desktops as well as most Unix desktops).
>>
>> Of course they are not new.
>>
>> Now actually getting them to WORK without a degree in CS, now that would be
>> new.
>
> Actually, it's not all that hard. Several of the Window managers
> including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
> ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
> inverse of the virtual desktop. You can even move you mouse across

This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
has pushed X into different directions from Windows. OTOH, back when
Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
monitors either.

Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
they would not need 2.

> all the screens as if they were all one desktop. Open Motif also
> shares this capability.

[deletia]

--
My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
/ | \

Tom Shelton

Sep 12, 2008, 7:21:02 PM9/12/08
On 2008-09-12, JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
> On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 10:51 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Of course they are not new.
>>>
>>> Now actually getting them to WORK without a degree in CS, now that would be
>>> new.
>>
>> Actually, it's not all that hard. Several of the Window managers
>> including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
>> ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
>> inverse of the virtual desktop. You can even move you mouse across
>
> This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
> has pushed X into different directions from Windows.

In what way? The fact that I just plug them in and work on windows? Or that
my year old 19" widescreen lcd monitor isn't properly configured under
kubuntu. To get it to work at 1440x900, I had to boot a knopix cd and then
figure out what was screwed up in xorg.config

> OTOH, back when
> Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
> monitors either.

Could be - but back then 19" inch monitors were hella expensive.

> Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
> they would not need 2.

Cheep? Are you kidding? I use multiple monitors because it enhances my
productivity.

Funny thing is, my wife felt that way to - until she had used it a bit. Then
she was really bummed when I had to retire those old crt's. I still have
duals on my work machine - but, I sure miss them on my main home desktop. I'm
going to spring for a second 22" here soon.

--
Tom Shelton

JEDIDIAH

Sep 12, 2008, 10:35:00 PM9/12/08
On 2008-09-12, Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:
> On 2008-09-12, JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Actually, it's not all that hard. Several of the Window managers
>>> including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
>>> ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
>>> inverse of the virtual desktop. You can even move you mouse across
>>
>> This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
>> has pushed X into different directions from Windows.
>
> In what way? The fact that I just plug them in and work on windows? Or that

X didn't have to cater to low resolution displays.

> my year old 19" widescreen lcd monitor isn't properly configured under
> kubuntu. To get it to work at 1440x900, I had to boot a knopix cd and then
> figure out what was screwed up in xorg.config

Never had that problem. Debian and Ubuntu both tend to default to the
native resolution of the panel if the driver supports it. Seen this work
for LCD panels, laptops and HDTVs.

>> OTOH, back when
>> Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
>> monitors either.
>>

> Could be - but back then 19" inch monitors were hella expensive.
>
>> Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
>> they would not need 2.
>>

> Cheep? Are you kidding? I use multiple monitors because it enhances my
> productivity.

Suuuure...

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
/ | \

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 12, 2008, 11:15:19 PM9/12/08

Jebediah like Greg Shearman are fossils who are way living in the past.
They really have no idea what modern computing involves.

One of my system has twin 22 inch LCDs, the other has a 22 inch LCD and a
19 inch LCD.

All are widescreen and either 1680x1050 or 1440x900.

Just as example of how useful twin monitors are, in my recording studio I
have Nuendo running with the mixer on one monitor and the track view on the
other.
This way I can see instantly all my faders, levels etc without having to
mouse around looking for windows and using up valuable screen real estate.

--
Moshe Goldfarb

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 1:41:03 AM9/13/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> In article <vRsyk.28673$kh2....@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
>
>> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>> > This has been is OS X forever, and earlier versions of MacOS even longer.
>> >
>> > When you order a Mac Pro from Apple, for example, you can configure it
>> > with up to 4 graphics cards, with each card supporting two 2560 x 1600
>> > displays.
>> >
>> > I believe similar things can be done in Windows. It's fairly common in
>> > the financial world, where people need to have a lot of information
>> > available without the hassle of dealing with overlapping windows.
>>
>> Another "open mouth insert foot" poster on the topic of 1 virtual screen
>> made up of 24 monitors on 12 computers.
>>
>> Incredible.
>
> You are confused.

It's getting embarrassing now. When was the last time Liarmutt poasted
without making a tit of himself?

> There may have been something about tying multiple
> computers together somewhere in one of the articles Schestowitz linked
> to, but the parts he chose to extract and quote in his post was about
> the UI difficulty of handling multi-screen displays.
>
> What he quoted in his posts, combined with the subject line, combine to
> make a claim that OS X and Windows do not handle multiple screens well,
> period.

It was clear enough to anyone who read the article. Liarmutt (Heel!)
never reads the posts he responds to.

--
"My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 1:46:34 AM9/13/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

My early experiments with Ubuntu proved you right. It was a
nightmare. Funny thing was according to COLA, "it all just works".

LOL.

--
"Maybe you can buy a Saturday Night Special and blow your POS brains out."
-- Rick <no...@nomail.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 13, 2008, 2:18:50 AM9/13/08
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 07:46:34 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

>>> This is the problem. Way too many out of date FAQs/HOWTOs written by
>>> pimply fan boyz who have written them wrong anyway. Googling these up is
>>> a breeze, recovering from their wrong advice is not so trivial half the
>>> time.
>>
>> Worse, a large number of them don't have dates or don't give exact
>> version numbers of the programs they are for and are using, so you have
>> no reasonable way of figuring out that they are out of date.
>
> My early experiments with Ubuntu proved you right. It was a
> nightmare. Funny thing was according to COLA, "it all just works".
>
> LOL.

It doesn't *just work* but i will say Ubuntu does a better job than most of
the Linux distributions.

Ubuntu has a couple of problems IMHO.

1. It's freaking ugly. Yes I know it's personal taste, but it just looks
horrendous.

2. Fixing the horrible look is an exercise in complete frustration.
Between Berly/Compiz/Emerald/Desktopwidgets/AWN/advanced desktop settings
etc it's a ball of massive confusion.
And if that wasn't bad enough, a lot of the information is outdated and
will most definitely hose your system.

I'm looking for "click here and tweak a little" type eye candy.

3. Monitor and video card recognition is horrendous.
It is just plain broken.

4. Wine is bug riddled. Applications disappear from the desktop yet they
are still running. There is no way, usually (it changes) to bring them
back.

5. Fluxbox with dual monitors is broke. I can't move the bottom toolbar
which is spread between both monitors.

6. Windowmaker Sig11's all the time.

7. Wine under kde has some problem where it keeps thinking I am hitting the
"alt key" and thus activates the title bar IOW file/edit/help etc.
No rhyme or reason to this. Applications don't disappear though like they
due under gnome.

8. Install wanted to shrink my Windows partition and do all kinds of stuff,
despite my have 60g of free space on the drive in a partition.
Not a good thing.
I used the manual method and created things myself.

So that's some of the bad stuff. What about the good stuff?
There is a lot of good.

1. Hasn't crashed on me yet despite really screwing around with it.
I added kde-world played and then removed it and nothing broke.
Synaptic seems pretty solid.

2. Nice menu entries, especially for Wine and browsing the Wine c:drive.
Other drives are listed and clicking mounts them automatically
This is a nice touch.

3. File copying and disk access seems to be very fast.

4. Totem is decent and easy to use.

5. Nice default network tools.

6. Little duplication of programs. IOW we don't have 8 different editors,
configuration programs etc.

7. Update system is a nice touch.

8. Add/Remove programs lists the basic categories and has popular choices
which is also nice. Much easier than wading the Synaptic.

9. Easy install.

10. iPod integration is pretty good.

Overall, I'm impressed with Ubuntu compared to the last version I tried.
I think it might be a little better than PCLinuxOS, but that version is
getting a little old and due for a new release so time will tell.

Rex Ballard

Sep 13, 2008, 4:59:33 AM9/13/08
On Sep 13, 12:38 am, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@gmail.com>

I think it was called "Outer Limits" after the Rod Serling series.

> Close enough....
>
> http://www.huzbears.com/nychistory/gv.html

Before my time. Personally, I preferred the Vault (one of the scenes
of Madonna's Sex Book), nice place for both gay and streight action, I
met some really hot women there.

Rex Ballard

Sep 13, 2008, 5:20:32 AM9/13/08
On Sep 13, 1:33 am, JEDIDIAH <j...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:

> On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@gmail.com> wrote:

>     This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
> has pushed X into different directions from Windows. OTOH, back when
> Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
> monitors either.

Back in 1990, I had a Sun Workstation, with a 24 inch monitor, and
1900x1600 resolution (100 dpi), by 16 million colors.

The Windows 3.0 PC had 640x480 by 16 colors and the Windows 3.1
workstation had 800x600 resolution by 256 colors.

>     Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
> they would not need 2.

I never cease to be amazed that the retailers are still only offering
WXGA resolution (1024x720 or 1200x800). Even most HDTV retailers
offer 1080p (1900x1080).

I special-ordered my Thinkpad with 1900x1200 resolution. really looks
great. I have notices that many of the hotels now have 1080p flat-
screens in the rooms.

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 5:41:46 AM9/13/08
Rex Ballard <rex.b...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sep 13, 1:33 am, JEDIDIAH <j...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>     This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
>> has pushed X into different directions from Windows. OTOH, back when
>> Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
>> monitors either.
>
> Back in 1990, I had a Sun Workstation, with a 24 inch monitor, and
> 1900x1600 resolution (100 dpi), by 16 million colors.
>
> The Windows 3.0 PC had 640x480 by 16 colors and the Windows 3.1
> workstation had 800x600 resolution by 256 colors.

Thats nice.

How much did the two cost?

>>     Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
>> they would not need 2.
>
> I never cease to be amazed that the retailers are still only offering
> WXGA resolution (1024x720 or 1200x800). Even most HDTV retailers
> offer 1080p (1900x1080).
>
> I special-ordered my Thinkpad with 1900x1200 resolution. really looks
> great. I have notices that many of the hotels now have 1080p flat-
> screens in the rooms.

What OS is on it?

--
- "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
want something new and more exciting."

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2008, 9:36:02 AM9/13/08
On 2008-09-13, JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
> On 2008-09-12, Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:

>>> This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
>>> has pushed X into different directions from Windows.
>>
>> In what way? The fact that I just plug them in and work on windows? Or that
>
> X didn't have to cater to low resolution displays.

I guess I'm not sure what your getting at here....

>> my year old 19" widescreen lcd monitor isn't properly configured under
>> kubuntu. To get it to work at 1440x900, I had to boot a knopix cd and then
>> figure out what was screwed up in xorg.config
>
> Never had that problem. Debian and Ubuntu both tend to default to the
> native resolution of the panel if the driver supports it. Seen this work
> for LCD panels, laptops and HDTVs.

So, are saying that because you don't have the problem it doesn't exist?

>>> OTOH, back when
>>> Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
>>> monitors either.
>>>

>> Could be - but back then 19" inch monitors were hella expensive.
>>
>>> Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
>>> they would not need 2.
>>>

>> Cheep? Are you kidding? I use multiple monitors because it enhances my
>> productivity.
>
> Suuuure...

Ever use mulitple monitors? If not, then you have NO idea what your talking
about. I used to think it was sort of silly - but now, its hard to work
without them.

--
Tom Shelton

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 9:59:57 AM9/13/08

The problem you two have is that you don't /think/.

You just blindly forge ahead without reading through the advice to see
if it makes sense.

It's better to collect a few different URLs and survey them first.

I'm wondering, though, if Hadrone is projecting about the "pimply fan
boyz".

Usually the official distro wikis are pretty reliable.

Especially the Gentoo wiki, which is useful no matter what distro you
use.

Just wanted to inject some positive information into your otherwise
overly negative and pessimism-generating posts.

--
Knocked, you weren't in.
-- Opportunity

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 10:01:47 AM9/13/08
* Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Microsoft got very excited when they could do "dual-head" displays,
> with the release of Windows XP.

Rex, even Windows 98 could support up to 8 heads. I ran it with two for
awhile.

--
Fourth Law of Thermodynamics:
If the probability of success is not almost one, it is damn near zero.

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 10:08:44 AM9/13/08
Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> writes:

> On 2008-09-13, JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:

>>> In what way? The fact that I just plug them in and work on windows? Or that
>>
>> X didn't have to cater to low resolution displays.
>>

> I guess I'm not sure what your getting at here....

Trying to discuss things with Jeb is a waste of time. And he knows sweet
fuck all about video options or gaming SW. He thinks he does. But as
usual his own ignorance of his own lack of knowledge convinces him he
does indeed know things. He does not.

>>> my year old 19" widescreen lcd monitor isn't properly configured under
>>> kubuntu. To get it to work at 1440x900, I had to boot a knopix cd and then
>>> figure out what was screwed up in xorg.config
>>
>> Never had that problem. Debian and Ubuntu both tend to default to the
>> native resolution of the panel if the driver supports it. Seen this work
>> for LCD panels, laptops and HDTVs.
>>

> So, are saying that because you don't have the problem it doesn't
> exist?

Yes. Idiot eh? This is a typical COLA "advocate" in action. Its how they
test their SW no doubt. "Works for me, ship".

>>> Could be - but back then 19" inch monitors were hella expensive.

>>> Cheep? Are you kidding? I use multiple monitors because it enhances my
>>> productivity.
>>
>> Suuuure...
>
> Ever use mulitple monitors? If not, then you have NO idea what your talking
> about. I used to think it was sort of silly - but now, its hard to work
> without them.

Dont get dragged in with Jeb. He's almost as dumb as High Plains
Hypocrite.

--
"Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....
http://tinyurl.com/33672q

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 10:11:14 AM9/13/08
* Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> And who says Hadron doesn't help Linux users!

> I have posted more help in the Ubuntu forums (and others) that the rest
> of COLA put together.

Thanks for the sig material, Hadron.

> I am currently giggling at Liarnut trying to be

> the sage old man in the Debian group - faking interest in the
> corrections posted to his incorrect garbage.

Huh? The steps I wrote are correct. They indeed work.

> He is actually maintaining
> its easier to compile your own kernel in order to get NVidia driver
> working.

Now where did I say that? I merely said it is fairly easy, and you get
a new kernel to boot. I actually /prefer/ doing it that way. And, if
something goes wrong, /I/ can figure out how to fix it, instead of
waiting for a debian maintainer to figure it out.

> He is, of course, wrong.

What is wrong is you calling me "Liarnut", while you lie your own ass
off about what I claim. How do you sleep at night?

Hadron, face it. You're just a fucknut and a lying-ass piece of shit.
The only people you treat with any friendliness and respect are fellow
trolls, including the ones who support, and perhaps create, fake
libellious posts about other people. How do you live with yourself?
Are you /proud/ of lying about other people, or do you really believe
your own confabulations?

Major self-important asshole.

--
Roland was a warrior, from the land of the midnight sun,
With a Thompson gun for hire, fighting to be done.
The deal was made in Denmark, on a dark and stormy day,
So he set out for Biafra, to join the bloody fray.
Through sixty-six and seven, they fought the Congo war,
With their fingers on their triggers, knee deep in gore.
Days and nights they battled, the Bantu to their knees,
They killed to earn their living, and to help out the Congolese.
Roland the Thompson gunner...
His comrades fought beside him, Van Owen and the rest,
But of all the Thompson gunners, Roland was the best.
So the C.I.A decided, they wanted Roland dead,
That son-of-a-bitch Van Owen, blew off Roland's head.
Roland the headless Thompson gunner...
Roland searched the continent, for the man who'd done him in.
He found him in Mombasa, in a bar room drinking gin,
Roland aimed his Thompson gun, he didn't say a word,
But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg.
The eternal Thompson gunner, still wandering through the night,
Now it's ten years later, but he stills keeps up the fight.
In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine, in Berkeley,
Patty Hearst... heard the burst... of Roland's Thompson gun, and bought it.
-- Warren Zevon, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 10:15:01 AM9/13/08

> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/

> os-ghosd-synergy/index.html>
>
> And you purposefully playing dumb, or what? When Roy says something
> here, and people look deeper into it and find problems, you claim they
> are obsessed for not limiting themselves to his words here. And now,
> commenting on his words here, rather than digging through an article to
> find and watch some obscure alleged video, is obsession?

So I jumped a thread, and assumed you were talking about the thing that
you were so dumb about earlier.

So sue me.

--

"I have posted more help in the Ubuntu forums (and others) that the rest
of COLA put together."

-- Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com>
in message <gae164$db3$1...@registered.motzarella.org>

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 10:14:51 AM9/13/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> And who says Hadron doesn't help Linux users!
>>
>> I have posted more help in the Ubuntu forums (and others) that the rest
>> of COLA put together.
>
> Thanks for the sig material, Hadron.
>
>> I am currently giggling at Liarnut trying to be
>> the sage old man in the Debian group - faking interest in the
>> corrections posted to his incorrect garbage.
>
> Huh? The steps I wrote are correct. They indeed work.
>
>> He is actually maintaining
>> its easier to compile your own kernel in order to get NVidia driver
>> working.
>
> Now where did I say that? I merely said it is fairly easy, and you get
> a new kernel to boot. I actually /prefer/ doing it that way. And, if

Why would you talk about kernels when the discussion was video
drivers. Listen up, and I know its hard for you to understand, you
listed a bunch of lines to compile a kernel and THEN tagged on the call
to the nvidia installer.

There is NO NEED TO MAKE YOUR OWN KERNEL to run the nvidia installer. It
was simply gratuitous showing off and bluster from you as usual.

AND I pointed out that recommending the use of the NVidia installer is
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. It can break systems and leave you without
support. How many more f*cking times do you have to be told?

> something goes wrong, /I/ can figure out how to fix it, instead of
> waiting for a debian maintainer to figure it out.

Wrong. The nvidia installer does all sorts of stuff. Stop showing off.

>> He is, of course, wrong.
>
> What is wrong is you calling me "Liarnut", while you lie your own ass
> off about what I claim. How do you sleep at night?

Everything I claimed is true. Post the article you creepy little butt
kisser. Go on. I dare you. And I will post the links advising AGAINST
using the Nvidia installer.

> Hadron, face it. You're just a fucknut and a lying-ass piece of shit.

Lets face it, you've been caught out again showing off and posting
things you do not understand.

> The only people you treat with any friendliness and respect are fellow
> trolls, including the ones who support, and perhaps create, fake
> libellious posts about other people. How do you live with yourself?
> Are you /proud/ of lying about other people, or do you really believe
> your own confabulations?
>
> Major self-important asshole.

Nice sig. It suits you Liarmutt.

*woof*

--
"The Linux community re-invents the wheel every month or so. The only
problem is, their version is square"
-- "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tim Smith

Sep 13, 2008, 12:16:49 PM9/13/08
In article <2CPyk.27898$XB4....@bignews9.bellsouth.net>,

Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
> > In article <gadddf$111$2...@registered.motzarella.org>,
> > Hadron <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is the problem. Way too many out of date FAQs/HOWTOs written by
> >> pimply fan boyz who have written them wrong anyway. Googling these up is
> >> a breeze, recovering from their wrong advice is not so trivial half the
> >> time.
> >
> > Worse, a large number of them don't have dates or don't give exact
> > version numbers of the programs they are for and are using, so you have
> > no reasonable way of figuring out that they are out of date.
>
> The problem you two have is that you don't /think/.
>
> You just blindly forge ahead without reading through the advice to see
> if it makes sense.

I suspect we differ on what we consider to be a "reasonable way" of
figuring out if something is applicable. I've had situations where I've
read through, it all seemed to make sense, and then I followed the
instructions, and deep in run into a command that is using some flag
that is not recognized by the version of that command on my system.

--
--Tim Smith

Linonut

Sep 13, 2008, 12:19:56 PM9/13/08

>> You just blindly forge ahead without reading through the advice to see

>> if it makes sense.
>
> I suspect we differ on what we consider to be a "reasonable way" of
> figuring out if something is applicable. I've had situations where I've
> read through, it all seemed to make sense, and then I followed the
> instructions, and deep in run into a command that is using some flag
> that is not recognized by the version of that command on my system.

Situations differ. You can still get burned in spite of being
careful. That's no excuse to not be careful.

--
He who is flogged by fate and laughs the louder is a masochist.

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 12:20:13 PM9/13/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

Liarmutt defending the indefensible once more.

Tell me Liarmutt, how the hell is a nOOb supposed to figure out which
"howto "is the one which works if he needs to Google them up in the
first place? You seriously need detaching from Roy's rectum.

Had YOU followed YOUR OWN advice you would know that the advice you have
been giving people about the nvidia-installer is liable to hose their
systems. Nice one centurion.

--
"His asshole is so reamed out he has room for an oxygen
tank, too."

Hadron

Sep 13, 2008, 12:21:29 PM9/13/08
Linonut <lin...@bollsouth.nut> writes:

> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> You just blindly forge ahead without reading through the advice to see
>>> if it makes sense.
>>
>> I suspect we differ on what we consider to be a "reasonable way" of
>> figuring out if something is applicable. I've had situations where I've
>> read through, it all seemed to make sense, and then I followed the
>> instructions, and deep in run into a command that is using some flag
>> that is not recognized by the version of that command on my system.
>
> Situations differ. You can still get burned in spite of being
> careful. That's no excuse to not be careful.

Information content : zero. Nice one.

--
"Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
found some day, maybe not. "

JEDIDIAH

Sep 15, 2008, 11:13:50 AM9/15/08

He's posting a claim with no verifiable (or rather falsifiable details).

He might as well claim that he had dinner with Chubby Checker last night.

[deletia]

--

Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

JEDIDIAH

Sep 15, 2008, 11:12:40 AM9/15/08
On 2008-09-13, Tom Shelton <tom_s...@comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:
> On 2008-09-13, JEDIDIAH <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
[deletia]

>> Never had that problem. Debian and Ubuntu both tend to default to the
>> native resolution of the panel if the driver supports it. Seen this work
>> for LCD panels, laptops and HDTVs.
>>

> So, are saying that because you don't have the problem it doesn't exist?

You are presenting a problem with no verifiable details.

You might as well tell me that you had dinner with Janis Joplin
last night.

>>> Could be - but back then 19" inch monitors were hella expensive.

>>> Cheep? Are you kidding? I use multiple monitors because it enhances my
>>> productivity.
>>
>> Suuuure...
>
> Ever use mulitple monitors? If not, then you have NO idea what your talking
> about. I used to think it was sort of silly - but now, its hard to work
> without them.

That's a poor excuse for an argument. You get an F for rhetoric.

--

Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \
both at the same time was something worth patenting.

It is loading more messages.