[News] 8 Distributions Tested by Professional Who Left Microsoft Windows

Roy Schestowitz

Nov 12, 2007, 5:03:04 AM11/12/07
Comparing Linux Distributions - Final Results

,----[ Quote ]
| All of these distros except OpenSuse (couldn't load) are great options for
| those wanting to move to Linux (I will try Mint again later). For those who
| are more experienced with administering Linux desktops, you may have come to
| different conclusions. I did spend a lot of time with most distros performing
| command line magic to make some things work (especially on the 64-bit
| environment). Kubuntu and Ubuntu were the only distros where I just installed
| and went on my way. All others required some amount of tweaking.
|
| I had the luxury of owning several different machines and some time to
| experiment with the different Linux distributions. Each distribution that I
| was able to get up and running ran well. I was able to make use out of some
| old machines that were running poorly on XP. Most importantly, my new laptop
| that was running Vista very slowly is now cruising with Mepis.
|
| By no means was this a highly scientific experiment. This is the view from a
| technical guy with limited systems administration skills. Take it for what
| it's worth. My recommendation is Kubuntu and Mepis.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/comparing-linux-distributions-final-results-20431

He seems to have been very happy since he left Windows. He was an example for
some people to follow.

Related:

Linux Mint KDE Edition vs. Kubuntu Feisty Fawn: Desktop Productivity Test

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux desktop is very important these days as it tries so hard to
| fight with giants like Windows and Mac OS X to conquer the new user. In
| my opinion, the best weapon for Linux to win this battle is the famous
| KDE (K Desktop Environment) because not only does it look very much
| like the Windows desktop, but it has also features from both Mac OS
| X and Windows.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Mint-KDE-Edition-vs-Kubuntu-Feisty-Fawn-Desktop-Productivity-51712.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/yw2s6f

New Desktop Face-Off: Gnome 2.20 vs KDE 3.5

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll have to decide which tradeoffs between the KDE's functionality and
| Gnome's simplicity will make your work easier, in isolation or by
| collaborating with others.
`----

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/10/25/gnome--kde-face-off.html

KDE 4 Beta Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Jos Poortvliet has produced a set of videos showing some features fo the
| upcoming KDE 4. Until now the featured applications are some games, KTouch,
| Kalzium and Gwenview.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/kde-4-beta-videos/

Ready for a new K: an inside look at KDE 4.0

,----[ Quote ]
| When I see how fast new contributors get productive,
| fixing bugs and asking questions on mailing lists - I know it’s working.
| It makes me feel stupid.
`----

http://rackit.gartnerwebdev.com/2007/08/28/ready-for-a-new-k-an-inside-look-at-kde-40/

BearItAll

Nov 12, 2007, 12:06:24 PM11/12/07
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Comparing Linux Distributions - Final Results
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | All of these distros except OpenSuse (couldn't load) are great options
> | for those wanting to move to Linux (I will try Mint again later). For
> | those who are more experienced with administering Linux desktops, you
> | may have come to different conclusions. I did spend a lot of time with
> | most distros performing command line magic to make some things work
> | (especially on the 64-bit environment). Kubuntu and Ubuntu were the only
> | distros where I just installed and went on my way. All others required
> | some amount of tweaking.
> |
> | I had the luxury of owning several different machines and some time to
> | experiment with the different Linux distributions. Each distribution
> | that I was able to get up and running ran well. I was able to make use
> | out of some old machines that were running poorly on XP. Most
> | importantly, my new laptop that was running Vista very slowly is now
> | cruising with Mepis.
> |
> | By no means was this a highly scientific experiment. This is the view
> | from a technical guy with limited systems administration skills. Take it
> | for what it's worth. My recommendation is Kubuntu and Mepis.
> `----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/comparing-linux-distributions-final-results-20431

I am one to extol the virtues of openSuse, but have to say that I too had
difficulty with an install last week. It was hardware I knew was good and
the openSuse 10.3 (64bit) was downloaded straight from the horses mouth. I
haven't had a Suse that was so hard to get onboard. This is something in
10.3 because I never had troubles with previous. I was in a hurry so
slipped back to previous for that machine otherwise I would have looked
into it to see what was wrong.

I also have to say that I very much did not like the setup of LDAP, it was
plain wrong. If you have a mega slow openSuse (10.3) and you can't see
anything in the processes taking up resources, first for interests sake,
examine your web traffic, trust me, it is worth a look, then go into Yast
and switch off LDAP. Yes, Mr CleverDicks who are just reaching for your
keyboards to tell me the two have nothing to do with each other, you are
partially wrong, but what definately *is* true is your LDAP should wait for
you to enter a source.

It does set up correctly when you do it yourself.

Doug Mentohl

Nov 12, 2007, 2:08:13 PM11/12/07
BearItAll wrote:

> I am one to extol the virtues of openSuse ..

As a desktop I find Xubuntu to be most usable. To install/upgrade use
the synaptic GUI or type apt-get at the console.