tab was actually correct!

Linønut

Feb 1, 2006, 8:50:30 PM2/1/06
Well, I have to apologize to tab. He was right, partly.

I disable the $PATH on my .bashrc on my Gentoo box.

Unlike on my Debian box, this time, neither an xsession login nor the
XFce login worked.

However, a nice GUI came up and explained where to look for the error,
and paused to let me read the message.

I then clicked OK, Ctrl-Alt-F1'd to a console, logged in, fixed the
problem, and here a I'm.

So, tab, you weren't talking bullshit.

However, you're still a raving lunatic.

--
Wean yourself from the Microsoft teat!

tab

Feb 1, 2006, 10:12:30 PM2/1/06
Damn,

Now I have to stop calling Linonut a FLAPPER.
And, he actually has a nice web site to help people.

Actually, if he had a site to tell me how to fix it with the console,
I would have used it. Even if I had the console. Which I hate doing.

But since I don't know how to console, I don't.

And I can live with raving lunatic. :)

Rick

Feb 1, 2006, 10:30:27 PM2/1/06

A lot have people have tried to provide resources to help people. I have a
page documenting how I got Linux running on my Compaq 1270, and how I have
continued using it.
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/computer/1270.html>

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

tab

Feb 1, 2006, 11:07:39 PM2/1/06
That is a cool page Rick.

Quite a story.

Rick

Feb 1, 2006, 11:26:42 PM2/1/06
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:07:39 -0800, tab wrote:

> That is a cool page Rick.
>
> Quite a story.

Thank you.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Linønut

Feb 2, 2006, 12:13:45 AM2/2/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:12:30 -0800, tab wrote:
>
>> Damn,
>>
>> Now I have to stop calling Linonut a FLAPPER. And, he actually has a nice
>> web site to help people.

I do? I thought it was more of a rant site.

>> Actually, if he had a site to tell me how to fix it with the console, I
>> would have used it. Even if I had the console. Which I hate doing.

The console is cool. You can be installing Debian (or Gentoo, too, I
believe) and be poking around in another console, looking at stuff.

>> But since I don't know how to console, I don't.

Console is cool. For many things, faster and easier. No moving of the
mouse and waiting for GUIs.

>> And I can live with raving lunatic. :)

> A lot have people have tried to provide resources to help people. I have a
> page documenting how I got Linux running on my Compaq 1270, and how I have
> continued using it.
> <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/computer/1270.html>

I like the DOH's. Shows humility.