[News] The "War on Intellectual Monopolies" is On

Roy Schestowitz

Jul 19, 2008, 4:48:27 AM7/19/08

Counter to Slashdot, WSJ has been pushing patent reform for years

,----[ Quote ]
| Ironically, and humorously, the post is in the department titled
| we-could-have-told-you-and-did dept.. One of the many issues in patent reform
| has arisen from the unwillingness of some in the IT area to write down what
| they have done, and, more importantly, to read what others have written down.
| The kdawson post seriously neglects the PAST positions of the WSJ on patent
| reform, and thus becomes another piece of evidence of the unwillingness of
| some in the IT community to understand what has already happened.
`----

http://ipbiz.blogspot.com/2008/07/counter-to-slashdot-wsj-has-been.html

Panel: IP Rights In Standards Impede Competition, Disadvantage Developing
Countries

,----[ Quote ]
| The inclusion of intellectual property rights in standards also is creating
| an anti-competitive effect, said panellists at the 30 June seminar in Geneva,
| hosted by the South Centre.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1155

Flurry Of Copyright, Interoperability Policy Activity At European Union

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission promised to consider how the EU patent fee structure could be
| designed for easier access by small and mid-sized firms, and to try to
| provide IPR support services for small companies in their countries.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1156

Remember how Microsoft uses the BSA for RAND at the moment. It uses other
proxies, too. It's about making anti-Free software laws.

Recent:

BSA plays the IP card against the European Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| Leave it to the Business Software Alliance (BSA) to distort the definition
| of "open standard" in order to serve the interests of Microsoft and its other
| members. The BSA doesn't like the European Commission's increasing interest
| in open source and open standards to deliver software interoperability.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9984162-16.html

Has Anyone Received the BSA's $1M Software Piracy Reward?

,----[ Quoye ]
| "The BSA hasn't yet paid out $1 million, although we are very willing to do
| so if the opportunity arises," writes BSA spokesman Rodger Correa in an
| e-mail. "That's how serious we take our mission of [intellectual property]
| protection."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147448/has_anyone_received_the_bsas_1m_software_piracy_reward.html
http://tinyurl.com/5m7fp2

BSA: Software piracy's 'tragic' impact on US society

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA-sponsored IDC study, available here (pdf), pinpointed eight US states
| in the report. It found significant variations from the national piracy
| figure of 20 per cent.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/bsa_us_states_piracy/

Microsoft urges resellers to play it straight, beef up revs

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/10/microsoft_idc_piracy_claims/