Investing in Linux stocks

1 view

Wes

Aug 11, 2003, 7:01:33 PM8/11/03
I feel confident that over the next 10 years MS is going to lose the
desktop to Linux in a big way. Confident enough that I would like to
bet money on it. So, how might you best invest in stocks in a way that
averages the odds over the many possible winners? Here is my rough
attempt, let's see yours. Not sure if all of these are publically traded.

Microsoft (shorted) 25%
IBM 25%
Red Hat 10%
Mandrake 10%
Codeweavers 10%
Novell 5%
Suse 5%
Sun 5%
Lindows 5%

Vcsharp2003

Aug 11, 2003, 9:37:40 PM8/11/03
>From: Wes manresabo...@yahoo.com
>
>I feel confident that over the next 10 years MS is going to lose the
>desktop to Linux in a big way.

Sure. In 95 the thieving linux pot heads said it would be 2000, then in 98 it
was 2005, then in 2000 it was 2010... Thanks for your prediction.

>Confident enough that I would like to
>bet money on it.

Investing isn't gambling, moron.

>So, how might you best invest in stocks in a way that
>averages the odds over the many possible winners?

You might want to first consider that currently there is no such thing as a
linux winner. In the US stock market, arguably the only market that matters in
software, Red Hat is the only linux stock with any hope at all. And, adding
insult to injury, it's like 90% off it's high. THey decalred a "pro-forma"
(fake) profit once, but with the tougher accounting laws in recent years, Red
Hat has never even been profitable. Hell, every time the stock bounces a
little, the primaries sell as fast as they can. What does that tell you, Mr.
Gambler? "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em". oh, I
digress...

> Here is my rough
>attempt, let's see yours. Not sure if all of these are publically traded.
>
>Microsoft (shorted) 25%

(yep, sell low, buy high...good strategy)

>IBM 25%

(OSless IBM. No wonder they like linux. Neutral.)

>Red Hat 10%

(put a little in your high risk portfolio, maybe.)

>Mandrake 10%

(lol...are you aware they have tetered on the brink of
bankruptcy...like...forever?)

>Codeweavers 10%

(lol)

>Novell 5%

(rotflmao)

>Suse 5%

(lol)

>Sun 5%

(lol - yep, put 5% in linux' primary victim, good strategy)

>Lindows 5%

(rotflmao)

Could it be that you haven't noticed? Linux / OSS is not profitable and has no
hope of becoming profitable, with or without the various clouds over it.

Wayne Throop

Aug 12, 2003, 12:20:43 AM8/12/03
: vcsha...@aol.com (Vcsharp2003)
: I suspect that a lot of this is caused by:
:
: 1. Upgading. I have very bad luck installing newer versions of
: windows on top of older versions. I found that if I always do a clean
: install then things work much, much better.
:
: 2. Crappy propriatry hardware. I'm sorry, but my experience with the
: crap that most companies pass off as a system has been not very
: favorable. I have had much better luck building the systems my self.
:
: 3. Related to above - cheap crappy video cards. Definately a
: weekness in windows, no two way's about it. But I have found that if
: you don't skimp on mobo, memory, processor, and video card - then
: Windows is very reliable. If you go for cheap on these components -
: your screwed.

Seems like a very good reason to use linux instead of windows,
where possible. You can use less expensive hardware, and still get
good reliability out of it.

But... I thought a commonly touted advantage of windows is that you didn't
have to worry about which hardware you are buying; it's all supported by
windows. It's only linux that's supposed to have the problems with
hardware. So... why is it the hardware's fault suddenly, when hardware
choice is always racked up as a win, rather than a loss, for windows?

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

john bailo

Aug 12, 2003, 12:41:29 AM8/12/03
Wayne Throop:

> But... I thought a commonly touted advantage of windows is that you didn't
> have to worry about which hardware you are buying; it's all supported by

HAHAHAHAHAH

do you know how much political manipulation is involved
for hardware vendors to get LoseDOS certified?

do you know how much m$0.00ft uses its monopoly power
again vendors such as InVidia who challenge the winTel
architecture?

HAHHAAHAHAHAHAH

--
dean '04
http://deanforamerica.com

Alex Kemp

Aug 12, 2003, 1:07:30 AM8/12/03
Wes wrote:

> Microsoft (shorted) 25%
> IBM 25%
> Red Hat 10%
> Mandrake 10%
> Codeweavers 10%
> Novell 5%
> Suse 5%
> Sun 5%
> Lindows 5%

It's not quite that easy - there won't be one outright winner in all this. Over 10 years I reckon IBM (persistently successful) are the best bet and Novell (where's the innovation coming from?) will turn into another Corel.

--
Thanks,
Alex Kemp (loose \lessspam-\ for email)

Tom Shelton

Aug 12, 2003, 1:20:48 AM8/12/03

You can interpret this any way you want. I really don't care, I was
just expressing what my experience has been. But the fact is that if
you buy half way decent hardware from reputable vendors instead of the
mobo from walmart for $1.98 you are going to have much better luck - and
I have to think this would apply to linux as well.

It just seems to me that most of the propriatary vendors stick a system
together without even considering if these componets are going to work
together - or even work well at all. There all about profit, so I
understand they can't do anything else. It just that the few times I've
seen a windows box with cronic trouble, it has usually been some mass
produced piece of crap - particularly from HP and Compaq (and Packard
Bell back in the day).

Oh, the power supply makes a big difference as well. Of course, if your
running AMD processors as I am, then you know all about the importance
of a decent power supply :)

Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Aug 12, 2003, 1:29:25 AM8/12/03
Wayne Throop wrote:

By the way, how did this get in this thread... And how dit it get
vcsharp2003 on it? I wrote this and it was in the 5% thread?

Tom Shelton

Wayne Throop

Aug 12, 2003, 4:10:18 PM8/12/03
: Tom Shelton <t...@mtogden.com>
: By the way, how did this get in this thread... And how dit it get

: vcsharp2003 on it? I wrote this and it was in the 5% thread?

Hmmm. Good question. Looking at the headers and such,
it's clear I did it... probably by patching in a reply to
the wrong window. But I don't have any way to trace it
better than that.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Aug 13, 2003, 1:42:05 AM8/13/03
begin In <20030811213740...@mb-m12.aol.com>, on
08/12/2003

at 01:37 AM, vcsha...@aol.com (Vcsharp2003) said:

>Sure. In 95 the thieving linux pot heads said it would be 2000,

Is that what su madre la puta told you?

*PLONK*

Any unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action. I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do not reply
to spam...@library.lspace.org