[News] [Rival] Microsoft Hides Vista Rejection Rate, People Hate Vista

Roy Schestowitz

Aug 19, 2008, 7:00:12 AM8/19/08

Microsoft fighting cognitive lock-in as users hold on to XP

,----[ Quote ]
| From the perspective of this story, the results are pretty damning. "Clearly,
| this phenomenon—customers ditching Vista in favor of its predecessor—is no
| fluke," the author writes. The results are presented as surprising in part
| because Microsoft cut off nearly all OEM sales of XP on June 30. But hardware
| manufacturers have been finding ways to continue shipping it past this
| deadline. Given that corporations are often conservative when it comes to
| adopting the latest-and-greatest from software companies, Microsoft allows
| users that purchase Vista Business or Vista Ultimate to downgrade to XP
| Professional. The hardware ships with Vista and is counted as a Vista sale,
| but a license for XP Pro is also included.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-microsoft-fighting-cognitive-lock-in-as-users-hold-on-to-xp.html

What's That They Say About Assumptions...?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sat down at the computer. A brand new Dell with Vista Home Basic on it. In
| the first place, Microsoft ought to be ashamed for putting out so many crappy
| versions of their newest crappy operating system. Home Basic is not only,
| well...Vista. It's a watered-down version of Vista. I said they should be
| ashamed...not that they would be. There is no shame within that castle. It is
| sincerely a pleasure to watch it crumble.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/08/im-big-fan-of-irony.html

Recent:

Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
| licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
| what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
| licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
| computers we are selling today."
|
| Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
| steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
| Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/29/vista-sales-really-windows-xp

Related:

Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
| Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/currys-group-blames-vista-for-poor-sales.html

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
| experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
| visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
| created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
`----

http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

`----