[News] Proprietary Software: Security By Bullying; Windows Zombies @ 4 Cents Apiece

Roy Schestowitz

Aug 19, 2008, 6:54:45 AM8/19/08

MBTA v. Anderson

,----[ Quote ]
| Three students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) were
| ordered by a federal court judge to cancel their scheduled presentation at
| DEFCON about vulnerabilities in Boston's transit fare payment system,
| violating their First Amendment right to discuss their important research.
`----

http://www.eff.org/cases/mbta-v-anderson

MIT Students Bound and Gagged by Power-Mad Massachusetts Agency, Orwellian
Magistrate

,----[ Quote ]
| Where will it all end? Nobody knows the specifics, but we can suggest a few
| that we're pretty certain of. The students will be irreparably harmed, as
| they've lost the opportunity to make their presentation at DefCon, something
| they may never get to do again, and the importance of which Judge Woodlock
| was apparently completely unable to see.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/mit-students-bound-and-gagged-power-mad-massachusetts-agency-orwellian-magistrate
http://tinyurl.com/5nf8t6

With such great 'security' (at gunpoint) no wonder around 320,000,000 Windows
PCs are zombies. They are a couple a dime:

Before the Gunfire, Cyberattacks

,----[ Quote ]
| "It costs about 4 cents per machine," Mr. Woodcock said. "You could fund an
| entire cyberwarfare campaign for the cost of replacing a tank tread, so you
| would be foolish not to."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/technology/13cyber.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Recent:

TJX Staffer Sacked After Talking About Security Problems

,----[ Quote ]
| In an e-mail interview, he said he was fired Wednesday for violating
| corporate policy by disclosing proprietary information.
|
| TJX is sensitive about information security after being the victim of a
| massive data theft, apparently made possible by poor security on the
| company's wireless networks. That breach, which compromised 94 million credit
| and debit card accounts, has cost the company tens of millions of dollars in
| legal settlements.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146276/tjx_staffer_sacked_after_talking_about_security_problems.html
http://tinyurl.com/6hoadz

Chipmaker sues to quash info on smart card security flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| A semiconductor company is suing a Dutch university to keep its researchers
| from publishing information about security flaws in the RFID chips used in up
| to 2 billion smart cards.
|
| [...]
|
| Call out the military
|
| Nohl said the problem lies in what he calls weak encryption in the MiFare
| Classic smart card. In March, he said that once he had broken the encryption,
| he would only need a laptop, a scanner and a few minutes to get the
| cryptographic key to an RFID door lock and create a duplicate card to open it
| at will.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=765846447&rid=-50

Related:

New $2B Dutch Transport Card is Insecure

,----[ Quote ]
| Kerckhoffs’s Principle, one of the bedrock maxims of cryptography, says that
| security should never rely on keeping an algorithm secret. It’s okay to have
| a secret key, if the key is randomly chosen and can be changed when needed,
| but you should never bank on an algorithm remaining secret.
|
| Unfortunately the designers of Mifare Classic did not follow this principle.
| Instead, they chose to combine a secret algorithm with a relatively short
| 48-bit key. This is a problem because once you know the algorithm it’s
| possible for an attacker to search the entire 48-bit key space, and therefore
| to forge cards, in a matter or days or weeks.
|
| [...]
|
| Now the Dutch authorities have a mess on their hands. About $2 billion have
| been invested in this project, but serious fraud seems likely if it is
| deployed as designed. This kind of disaster would have been more likely had
| the design process been more open. Secrecy was not only an engineering
| mistake (violating Kerckhoffs’s Principle) but also a policy mistake, as it
| allowed the project to get so far along before independent analysts had a
| chance to critique it. A more open process, like the one the U.S. government
| used in choosing the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) would have been
| safer. Governments seem to have a hard time understanding that openness can
| make you more secure.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1250

FCC ignores more than 100 years of wisdom

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1883 French cryptographer Auguste Kerckhoffs published a set of six
| design principles for military encryption systems. The second of these
| principles is generally known today under the observation that security
| through obscurity is not security. The Federal Communications Commission
| (FCC) seems not to have read the history books or to be aware of how its
| sister federal agencies develop security standards....
`----

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E1800257313005EC092

Consumer-control industry and their security damnation

.-----[ Quote ]
| By some ironic fortune, proprietary vendors like Apple and
| Microsoft will likely always suffer this damnation that their
| consumer-control inspired proprietary nature always brings with
| itself: security problems - exactly the thing they claim to prevent
| by being so control obsessed. You can stay damned with them or you
| can break free.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/consumer_control_industry_and_their_security_damnation

Open source key to anti-terrorism efforts

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/open_source_key.html

Consumer-control industry and their security damnation

.----[ Quote ]
| By some ironic fortune, proprietary vendors like Apple and
| Microsoft will likely always suffer this damnation that their
| consumer-control inspired proprietary nature always brings with
| itself: security problems - exactly the thing they claim to prevent
| by being so control obsessed. You can stay damned with them or you
| can break free.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/consumer_control_industry_and_their_security_damnation

Adobe fixes critical Flash bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time Flash Player was patched was April, when Adobe repaired the
| Linux and Solaris plug-ins used with the Opera and Konqueror browsers. In
| March, Apple Inc. included a Flash fix in its 2007-003 security update that
| upped Mac OS X to Version 10.4.9.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9026824&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top

RIM unconcerned by BlackBerry bugging software

,----[ Quote ]
| As reported yesterday, the latest version of legal spying software
| FlexiSPY enables remote third parties to bug the voice calls, log SMS
| and mobile e-mail messages and track the location of a BlackBerry
| user.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/RIM-unconcerned-by-BlackBerry-bugging-software/0,130061702,339279555,00.htm

Laws Threaten Security Researchers

,----[ Quote ]
| Lee Tien, a member of the working group and a senior staff attorney
| for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, says Website vulnerabilities
| must be exposed so people's data and identities are secured. "The
| fewer vulnerabilities, the better."
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=125984&WT.svl=news1_1

DFS

Aug 19, 2008, 9:37:06 AM8/19/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ,----[ Quote ]
>> Open source = more security, not less.

OSS sure didn't stop your server or the Linux Mint server from being hacked
and compromised to kingdom come.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Aug 19, 2008, 12:43:11 PM8/19/08

Yea....