Top 15 Exciting Things To Do With Linux

kulalosai

Aug 19, 2005, 10:10:35 PM8/19/05

I am putting together a post with the title: '15 exciting things to do
with Linux' for my blog.

Right now I have:
=================
A - F. [thinking...]

9. Roll a distribution with user interface so impressive and innovative
that Apple and Microsoft close their business down in shame.

8. Automate your home using even an i386 PC running Linux. Switch home
appliances on and off securely from work using Internet.

7. Write a really cool code that can go into the next version of the
kernel. It should be so good that Linus Torvalds mentions you in his
posts.

6. Build a cluster and lease it out as rendering machine to short film
makers.

5. Fortune away your time

4. Install Linux on an iPod.

3. Install Linux from scratch on an i386 PC.

2. Create a start-up recruiting college students to develop really
sophisticated open-source software for Linux. Sell the software to
ISRO/NASA/20th Century Fox/whatever and make millions.

1. Collect several trashed computers, cluster them together into one
super-super-computer and solve a problem confounding scientists for
decades. Win a nobel prize.

Please suggest some.

My blog is right now at http://kirubakaran.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Kirubakaran.

zekolas

Aug 19, 2005, 10:43:18 PM8/19/05
> 2. Create a start-up recruiting college students to develop really
> sophisticated open-source software for Linux. Sell the software to
> ISRO/NASA/20th Century Fox/whatever and make millions.

I believe you would have a hard time selling Open Source Software to a
companany, if they wanted to use it they could just dowload the source
for free. Most OpenSource companies sell support and other IT
consulting, not the product itself.

Snit

Aug 19, 2005, 11:00:04 PM8/19/05
"zekolas" <zek...@cableone.net> stated in post
11gd665...@corp.supernews.com on 8/19/05 7:43 PM:

Doesn't that leas to an incentive to make it harder to use? If you make it
too easy then you will not be able to sell much support.

--
Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
Feel free to ask for the recipe.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

WS

Aug 19, 2005, 11:46:36 PM8/19/05
kulalosai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am putting together a post with the title: '15 exciting things to do
> with Linux' for my blog.

<snip>

> Please suggest some.
>
> My blog is right now at http://kirubakaran.blogspot.com/
>
> Thanks,
> Kirubakaran.

Eh, you forgot the #1 most exciting one:

"World Domination!" - Linus Torvalds.

;-)

Cheers,
WS

--
change to leews to mail

Message has been deleted

Cyberwasteland

Aug 20, 2005, 12:58:48 AM8/20/05
The distro manufacturers that have an "Enterprise Server" solution do
not make it freely available for download, unless it is a trial
version.

This includes Red Hat
https://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/server/

and Novell/SuSE
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxenterpriseserver/

I'm not sure who, if anyone, is buying these... but there are
advantages that come with these boxed solutions that an improvised,
ad-hoc build will not provide.

zekolas

Aug 20, 2005, 1:49:25 AM8/20/05
Cyberwasteland wrote:
> The distro manufacturers that have an "Enterprise Server" solution do
> not make it freely available for download, unless it is a trial
> version.
>
> This includes Red Hat
> https://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/server/
>
> and Novell/SuSE
> http://www.novell.com/products/linuxenterpriseserver/

well for the most part these are the same as their "free" distros except
you get support with them. Also they will support the distro with bug
fixes and security updates for an extenden period of 2-4 years. Were
there is no garantee how long they will update their "free" versions.

zekolas

Aug 20, 2005, 1:57:34 AM8/20/05
> Doesn't that leas to an incentive to make it harder to use? If you make it
> too easy then you will not be able to sell much support.

well if you were a monopoly yes. However with Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Red
Hat, Suse, windows, Xandros and others all are competing with each other
and Windows and other *nix such as freeBSD, netBSd, openBSD and Mac OSX.
Note that many of these distros (debian, ubuntu, gentoo, *BSD) are
non-commercial so they are not selling any support or anything.

So if a company or distro makes a decion to make it "hard" its not going
to last long in a highly competitive field because some other company
will make an "easy" distro to sell.

Kouros

Aug 20, 2005, 7:28:57 AM8/20/05
Snit wrote:
> "zekolas" <zek...@cableone.net> stated in post
> 11gd665...@corp.supernews.com on 8/19/05 7:43 PM:
>

>>>2. Create a start-up recruiting college students to develop really
>>>sophisticated open-source software for Linux. Sell the software to
>>>ISRO/NASA/20th Century Fox/whatever and make millions.
>>
>>I believe you would have a hard time selling Open Source Software to a
>>companany, if they wanted to use it they could just dowload the source
>>for free. Most OpenSource companies sell support and other IT
>>consulting, not the product itself.
>

> Doesn't that leas to an incentive to make it harder to use? If you make it
> too easy then you will not be able to sell much support.

Not really. If you make it too hard, someone else will come along and
rewrite it to make it easier.

Snit

Aug 20, 2005, 7:51:08 AM8/20/05
"Kouros" <pl...@pling.pling> stated in post
de745m$l47$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk on 8/20/05 4:28 AM:

True - there is that risk. They have to make sure they have enough extra
value added...

--
I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

Peter Jensen

Aug 20, 2005, 8:28:53 AM8/20/05
--
PeKaJe
> The Mac 'looks' the best I'd say, but I find it harder to use than XP.
Then you have the IQ and computer proficiency of a 12 day old
dried lump of donkey feces. -- Philip Callan in COLA

kulalosai

Aug 20, 2005, 11:15:32 AM8/20/05
Yes Peter, good point. It is one time sale of a product for a very
specific need is what I was talking about. Sharing the source and STILL
making money has to be somehow achieved.

Thanks a lot WS - I'll add that to the list.

Thank you zekolas, Cyberwasteland, Snit and Kouros, for responding to
my post.

Please let me know if you come up with more exciting ideas for the
list.

kulalosai

Aug 20, 2005, 12:01:59 PM8/20/05
I have added these to the list:

C. Experience the joy of introducing someone to Linux. [tvk] [me]

B. Explore the source. Seek out the adventures and solve the mysteries.
[senthil] [me]

A. 'World Domination' [LT] [WS]

More suggestions please...

Blood Money

Aug 20, 2005, 2:29:21 PM8/20/05
Develop a killer app for mobile devices using embedded Linux, such as
Motorola E680i, NEC N900iL, Samsung Qtopia. It's only a matter of time!

zekolas

Aug 20, 2005, 10:11:54 PM8/20/05
Peter Jensen wrote:

> zekolas wrote:
>

>>>2. Create a start-up recruiting college students to develop really
>>>sophisticated open-source software for Linux. Sell the software to
>>>ISRO/NASA/20th Century Fox/whatever and make millions.
>>
>>I believe you would have a hard time selling Open Source Software to a
>>companany, if they wanted to use it they could just dowload the source
>>for free.
>

> And how would they get their hands on it if I didn't offer it up for
> download? Remember that the GPL only requires you to hand over the
> source to those that get your binaries. Most applications these days
> are written to solve a particular task (as opposed to shrink-wrap, which
> are generic applications). Therefore you're likely to have just that
> one (or very few) customers. Those few customers might not want to
> offer up the source themselves, because it would give competitors an
> advantage. Alternatively there could be a discount on the next version
> on the terms that you don't give the source to anyone else.

Well that is true I suppose, however I was thinking more along the lines
of most OSS were they put up a project page on source forge or something
and have the source freely available to anyone(like most gpl projects
have), then trying to sell the product.

Also techniccaly it is NOT open source until your first sell. I could
write an operating system and say I will follow the gpl, but until I
sell the product to my first customer, even if they don't demand the
source; technically it is not open source since no one, except me has
rights to the source. Now once I sell the product to one customer then
its open source since now they have the rights to the source.

kulalosai

Aug 21, 2005, 12:42:38 AM8/21/05
I understand it perfectly now. Thank you zekolas.

kulalosai

Aug 21, 2005, 12:43:09 AM8/21/05
Wow! Thank you!!

Mark Kent

Aug 21, 2005, 6:25:37 PM8/21/05
begin oe_protect.scr
zekolas <zek...@cableone.net> espoused:

> Also techniccaly it is NOT open source until your first sell.

Wrong, but I appreciate that you are a win troll.

The key to look for is the GPL. If they GPL is there, then the
customer/user/developer is safe from vendor lock-in. Without the GPL,
there is a risk of vendor lock-in. Check the FSF pages for more
info on this.

--
end
In case of atomic attack, all work rules will be temporarily suspended.

Mark Kent

Aug 21, 2005, 8:36:38 PM8/21/05
begin oe_protect.scr
zekolas <zek...@cableone.net> espoused:

As companies are experienced in buying 'black-boxed' products, whether
the underlying source is open or not is unlikely to be, in itself,
significant. Freedom from vendor lock-in will be a positive, but
lack of a clear blame-route will be negative. Also, the huge
decrease in costs resulting from OSS and COTS hardware is causing
some problems, ie., large companies have a hard time understanding
that they might be paying 10 to 100 times over the odds for what
they're presently getting.

zekolas

Aug 22, 2005, 3:35:02 AM8/22/05
Mark Kent wrote:
> begin oe_protect.scr
> zekolas <zek...@cableone.net> espoused:
>
>>Also techniccaly it is NOT open source until your first sell.
>

> Wrong, but I appreciate that you are a win troll.

hmm, well my header says Thunderbird on X11. So it may be hard for me to
be a win troll, I mean I am running debian for an OS.

Peter Jensen

Aug 22, 2005, 6:10:19 AM8/22/05
--
PeKaJe

Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths good theatre.
-- Gail Godwin

zekolas

Aug 22, 2005, 1:14:22 PM8/22/05
> Wouldn't be the first time a troll tried to deflect attention by using
> Linux to post with. What matters is what you write, not what OS you
> write it from. For the record, I haven't decided what camp you're in
> yet.

I am not really in anyones camp, although I lean a to the Open source
Side. I use both Windows and Linux. In Linux I started out with Red hat
5.2, then moved to Mandrake, then to Suse then to Debian, now I am using
Ubuntu. I also use windows, mostly at work. At work we have both windows
, Linux, and sun servers with windows XP, Fedora, and OSX on the desktop.

One thing I am not is a Linux Jihadist who goes out and tries to convert
people on religious grounds. I promote Linux for one reason
1. its a good product that will fit the users needs.
I also like it people and orginizations use Linux because it will give
MS some competition, and will also promote open standards(thus giving
the competition further support because MS can't "lock" people in).

Both Linux and Windows has there benifites and both can be good
Operating systems.

Mark Kent

Aug 23, 2005, 3:35:07 AM8/23/05

You were still wrong in your claim regarding open source and selling,
but I assumed it was because you were taking a line, rather than
merely being ill-informed.

--
end

I find you lack of faith in the forth dithturbing.
- Darse ("Darth") Vader

Kelsey Bjarnason

Aug 25, 2005, 4:09:50 PM8/25/05
[snips]

Cyberwasteland wrote:
> I'm not sure who, if anyone, is buying these... but there are
> advantages that come with these boxed solutions that an improvised,
> ad-hoc build will not provide.

A lot of desktop distros have boxed sale editions available, too. With
those, you usually get both some support (installation and, say, 30
day's usage) as well as other things you wouldn't get in the download
edition (plugins, etc) because of licensing issues.

With the server versions, what I've seen is a larger software collection
(or at least, one containing more "enterprise" software) plus a
heckuvalot of support, comparatively.