[News] [Rival] Another 'Development Collapse': Windows 7 Just Another ME2 (Vista)

Roy Schestowitz

Aug 19, 2008, 6:57:08 AM8/19/08

Windows 7 Server to be 'minor release'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said on Monday in the US that the server version of Windows 7 would
| not be a major release and will bear the name Windows Server 2008 R2.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Windows-7-Server-to-be-minor-release-/0,130061733,339291343,00.htm?omnRef=1337

So it's just a rename. What about the promises? The vapourware... it's fraud.

Recent:

Bill Gates: Windows 7 - Amazing Things - But no clue as to what they actually
are

,----[ Quote ]
| But with Microsoft having confirmed through the voice of Steven Sinofsky,
| Senior Vice President, Windows and Windows Live Engineering Group, that
| Windows 7 would have the same kernel as Vista, hardware requirements,
| graphics and audio subsystems, only in evolved forms, the company still needs
| to deliver the amazing things that Gates pointed out are happening through
| the development process.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Bill-Gates-Windows-7-Amazing-Things-88978.shtml

Microsoft Promises Predictable Schedule for Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Has anyone forgotten how we arrived at the January 2007 release date for
| Vista to begin with? In early 2006, we were told that it would be out "by
| year's end." Then came the rumors that Microsoft might have to scale back the
| release to meet its deadline. Features were being dropped. After a long
| period of speculation, Microsoft admitted that it would be unable to ship
| even a less-ambitious product on schedule. Vista was pushed back to 2007, and
| some analysts wondered whether the software giant would even be able to
| salvage it by then.
|
| [...]
|
| In other words, don't expect any ambitious new features from the new Windows.
| Instead, expect more of the same.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/mcallister_on_software/147490/microsoft_promises_predictable_schedule_for_windows_7.html

Windows 7: R.I.P.

,----[ Quote ]
| Death throes. That’s how I’d describe the latest barrage of white papers from
| Microsoft. The company’s flagship, Windows Vista, is thrashing around in the
| shallows like a wounded animal, fighting in vain to escape the inevitable.
|
| [...]
|
| Now we learn that there’s no point in waiting for Windows 7 because,
| according to Microsoft, “it’ll be just like Vista.”
|
| Talk about eating your young! Microsoft is now publicly trashing their next
| version in order to salvage their current dud. Never mind that they’re
| killing the very positive mystique surrounding Windows 7. Company executives
| are hell bent on proving that the Vista “Refuseniks” were wrong, and they’re
| not above using force to achieve their goal.
|
| That’s right, hidden within their latest propaganda piece is the not so
| veiled threat that customers who bypass Vista risk widening the very
| compatibility chasm that dissuaded them in the first place. That’s because
| Microsoft has no intention of making it any easier for customers to upgrade
| to Windows 7 from XP than it is for them to upgrade from XP to Vista today.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/06/windows_7_rip.html

Is Microsoft Repeating Vista Mistakes with Windows 7?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seems to be sending the wrong message with its demo of Windows 7's
| touchscreen at the D: All Things Digital conference. Observers fear Microsoft
| may be making the same mistakes that hurt Windows Vista. Instead of focusing
| on Vista, Microsoft demonstrated a Windows 7 touchscreen that may not be
| available for years.
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13300AE25VTZ

Windows 7 Shows Microsoft Hasn't Learned Vista Lessons

,----[ Quote ]
| The project was called MinWin, a Microsoft effort to slim down the next
| version of Windows. The company said it had heard, loud and clear, that
| another bloated OS like Vista wouldn't fly. Then Windows 7 galumphed into the
| room.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/windows_7_shows.html

Eight Things About Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Windows 7 won't be much different from Windows Vista...
|
| 2. There's no new kernel or modular design...
|
| 3. The user interface won't radically change....
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/eight_things_about_windows_7.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Going out of business sale! Buy XP before it’s too late!

,----[ Quote ]
| I don’t recall ever seeing any company advertising the ‘old’ product over
| the ‘new’ product so strongly before, but Vista’s stink has grown so strong
| that it makes good business sense to promote XP over Vista. Has anyone ever
| been actually able to make a solid case for using Vista over XP? I haven’t
| seen one.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/going_out_of_business_sale_buy_xp_before_its_too_late

Are These Windows Transparent or Translucent?

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides myth busting, there is Microsoft's desperate need to get out
| something positive about Windows. That's not easy with all the negative Web
| chatter about Vista and the constant nitpicking of Apple "Get a Mac" TV
| commercials. Silence is golden only when there is no other noise. Given how
| bad the Vista talk is, perhaps Microsoft executives think that they can get
| away with talking Seven without causing too much sales harm to the current
| operating system.
|
| That said, including today's reaffirmation of a ship date—"approximately
| three years after the general availability of Windows Vista," according to
| Chris' credited blog—any information risks freezing sales. I see extremes
| rather than middle ground. Either Microsoft executives see that even limited
| information disclosure can do little more harm, or they don't care—meaning
| they've already given up on Windows Vista.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/are_these_windows_transparent_or_translucent.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/6odkvq

What we do know about Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 will be a minor update to Vista — with “minor,” here, meaning as
| less disruptive as possible to users and their applications. Microsoft has
| said Windows 7 will use the same driver model that Vista did.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1413

Windows 7: The information lockdown continues

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m hearing increasing dissatisfaction from Microsoft customers, testers and
| other sources typically in the insider track that Microsoft still hasn’t
| shared any Windows 7 information. The silence is deafening — and
| disconcerting — they say. As was the case with Internet Explorer 8, the issue
| isn’t whether Microsoft’s Windows client team is sitting on its hands, doing
| nothing; instead, the worry is that Microsoft is moving full-steam-ahead to
| build a Windows 7 that won’t have a whole lot of input from outsiders. After
| the compatibility and marketing nightmares that have plagued Vista, one would
| think Microsoft might be interested in letting its users have more sway on
| what they really want from a new version of Windows.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1406

Related:

Microsoft Clears Gates-Induced Confusion about Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| This statement created widespread confusion as most people understood that
| the final version of Windows 7 would be released next year, much earlier than
| expected. However, since this was Gates talking, and with all the fuss
| concerning Vista's failure on the market, people started wondering whether
| Microsoft changed its plans and wants to speed up the release of Windows 7,
| the next operating system from the Redmond company, due to replace Vista.
|
| However, a Microsoft spokesman told CNN that in fact the industry veteran was
| talking about alpha or beta versions, as it usually happens, and not the
| final product.
`----

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Microsoft_Clears_Gates_Induced_Confusion_about_Windows_7_16026.html

Microsoft : Windows 7 still in planning stage and will take approximately 3
years to develop.

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.winvistaclub.com/i7.html