Should we rename this group to comp.os.linux._why_windows95_is _so_great?

root

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
J Woods (gwo...@prysm.com) wrote:

: Why are we talking about this? I thought this was a Linux group.
: These threads have gone on long enough. Hell, look at some of the
: groups being cross-posted. Maybe comp.net.garbage is a more appropriate
: name. Everybody is posting their shit here. WHY!!!?

: Sorry, just had to let it go. Flame Away.
: _________________________
: gwo...@prysm.com
: 'Putting on fire retardant suit'

GREAT!!! AT LAST, someone that actualy opens his mouth!

THANKS.....Now maybe some people will start to wake up.

I think every person in here that post anything that is not to do
with Linux should get mailbombed.

This group needs a moderator!

--
Richelo Killian __
/ /\

J Woods

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95

Michael Higgins

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
ro...@telkom.co.za says:
> This group needs a moderator!

Come now. This is an .advocacy group. Its mission in life is to draw
fire away from valuable groups (like the rest of the c.o.l.* tree).
Theoretically, I suppose you could actually use it to advocate the use
of linux, or discuss plans for linux taking over the world. The name
"comp.os.linux.advocacy" is certainly suggestive. But by a long and
noble USENET tradition, .advocacy groups heroically sacrifice their
bandwidth for the good of other groups.

(tongue only partially in cheek)

-Mike | http://latifundium.res.cmu.edu/home/latifundium/higgins/www/
| higg...@cmu.edu
| "For I think that most probably you will then be converted on
all points to my conception and to my treatment of the subject;
and this is just what I should value most, since I am convinced
that you really have a deep interest in the matter."
R. Dedekind (1890)

Jim Williams

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
Michael Higgins <higg...@CMU.EDU> wrote:
>ro...@telkom.co.za says:
>> This group needs a moderator!
>
>Come now. This is an .advocacy group. Its mission in life is to draw
>fire away from valuable groups (like the rest of the c.o.l.* tree).
>Theoretically, I suppose you could actually use it to advocate the use
>of linux, or discuss plans for linux taking over the world. The name

>"comp.os.linux.advocacy" is certainly suggestive. But by a long and
>noble USENET tradition, .advocacy groups heroically sacrifice their
>bandwidth for the good of other groups.
>
>(tongue only partially in cheek)

Speaking of which... I think it would be nice if there was a comp.os.advocacy
that everyone involved could switch to. Aside from anything else, it would be
*much* earier to figure out when the cross-posting has gotten out of hand...

I don't know much about how newsgroups get formed.

--
Jim Williams.

Find a Linux/GNU User Group near you: http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/

root

Aug 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/30/95
Jim Williams (will...@tiac.net) wrote:

: Michael Higgins <higg...@CMU.EDU> wrote:
: >ro...@telkom.co.za says:
: >> This group needs a moderator!
: >
: >Come now. This is an .advocacy group. Its mission in life is to draw
: >fire away from valuable groups (like the rest of the c.o.l.* tree).
: >Theoretically, I suppose you could actually use it to advocate the use
: >of linux, or discuss plans for linux taking over the world. The name
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: >"comp.os.linux.advocacy" is certainly suggestive. But by a long and
: >noble USENET tradition, .advocacy groups heroically sacrifice their
: >bandwidth for the good of other groups.
: >
: >(tongue only partially in cheek)
: >

: Speaking of which... I think it would be nice if there was a comp.os.advocacy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: that everyone involved could switch to. Aside from anything else, it would be

: *much* earier to figure out when the cross-posting has gotten out of hand...

: I don't know much about how newsgroups get formed.

: --
: Jim Williams.

: Find a Linux/GNU User Group near you: http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/

Now that is a great idea !!!!!!

Michael Dillon

Aug 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/30/95
In article <EkErf4K00...@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Michael Higgins <higg...@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>Theoretically, I suppose you could actually use it to advocate the use
>of linux, or discuss plans for linux taking over the world. The name

>"comp.os.linux.advocacy" is certainly suggestive. But by a long and
>noble USENET tradition, .advocacy groups heroically sacrifice their
>bandwidth for the good of other groups.

The things that Linux does do, it does well.
For people who want to do the things that Linux does do, Linux is an
excellent O/S to run on their system.

If your primary needs are Internet access, networking, email, programming
then Linux is a "Good Thing(tm)".

The major deficiency of Linux is that it doesn't do everything that
people might want to do with it. The only real solution to this problem
is time and elbow grease. In a couple of years there will be great
applications available for Linux and people will be able to use it as
their exclusive O/S.

But the world will always have people for whom Linux is a bad choice.
Some people like to be sheep. Some people like to buy (or pirate) the
latest games. Some people like to run the same software they do at the
office. We'll never convert those people, but Linux is nevertheles, HERE
TO STAY!

--
Michael Dillon Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc. Fax: +1-604-542-4130