Ubuntu 11.04 Is Buggy..Even the Fanboys Agree....

flatfish+++

May 7, 2011, 1:46:59 AM5/7/11

"Question: As soon as a I get my new computer I'm gonna run Ubuntu, but
which version should I go for? I have 10.10 ready to go but 11.04 is the
newest. From what I've seen on this forum and read in reviews 11.04 has
yet to be stabilized with bugfixes and what-not. So which version should
I go for? 11.04 or stick with 10.10?"

Replies:

"Unless 10.10 doesn't work with some of your hardware I would go for
10.10. It is fast and stable. I see no advantage of 11.04 so far. It is
quite buggy to say the least as you can see from all the threads on the
forum. It is still beta software."

"I tend to agree. I run 10.04 LTS on my main computer, 10.10 on one
laptop and 11.04 on another laptop. The only reason I am running 11.04
is that I like change; like a bit of a challenge, and 11.04 is different
from previous versions, which had a much more traditional feel about
them.

I quite like the desktop in 11.04, and I am getting used to it as time
goes on, but I agree with beew in that it is a little flakey at the
moment.

For instance, it uses Banshee as a media player, and while it is good,
it does have some funny little quirks and sometimes presents with a
blank screen, and has been known to indicate a song other than the one
which is actually playing, whereas Rhythmbox, on the earlier versions,
was pretty solid.

I have also heard that the Desktop version of the 11.04 CD has issues
installing on some hardware, whereas 10.10 did not. I use the alternate
install iso, so I cannot confirm this."

"I would wait for 11.10."

"If you want a stable system i'd suggest using the LTS release, which is
10.04. You won't have to upgrade it until 2013, and uses the older and
less buggy version of the interface."

"Ubuntu 11.04 is definitely not ready to be a primary production
desktop.

I had issues with Unity in the fact that the bars would "disappear" and
only a restart would bring them back, lockups, certain apps wouldn't go
onto the launcher, VNC/Virtualbox kept using each others icons on the
launcher and launching the wrong apps.

It lasted 8 hours on my desktop before a I wiped/reloaded."

But of course in COLA, everything "just works"......

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

DFS

May 7, 2011, 11:10:59 AM5/7/11
On 5/7/2011 1:46 AM, flatfish+++ wrote:

> It lasted 8 hours on my desktop before a I wiped/reloaded."
>
> But of course in COLA, everything "just works"......
>
> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

heh!

Even my 11.04 installation has lasted more than 8 hours... but I used it
for only 8 minutes, and guess what? I found a sloppy bug.

Linux doesn't belong anywhere near end users.

Chris

May 7, 2011, 12:20:42 PM5/7/11
Am Sat, 07 May 2011 11:10:59 -0400 schrieb DFS:

> Even my 11.04 installation has lasted more than 8 hours... but I used it
> for only 8 minutes, and guess what? I found a sloppy bug.
>
> Linux doesn't belong anywhere near end users.

Because endusers will constantly create new users, delete them and then
immediately (before the kernel decided to sync) try to login with the
deleted user.

Yes, it is a bug. A bug that is specifically in wubi and hasn't probably
affected more than, say, 3 people ever.

I am really interested: How exactly did you find this bug in 8 minutes?

flatfish+++

May 7, 2011, 1:41:15 PM5/7/11

You forgot to tell him "if you don't like Ubuntu try xxxyyyyzzzz".

xxxyyyyzzzz = one of the other 500 distributions.

Linux advocacy = never having to say your sorry. Even though every time
you boot up Linux you most definately are.

jud

May 14, 2011, 9:51:48 AM5/14/11
> Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

> Watching Linux Fail:http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/
>
> Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
> "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
> in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_th...

I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
would push a release with it being so "flakey"

Gregory Shearman

May 14, 2011, 10:33:45 AM5/14/11
On 2011-05-14, Flatfish sock <judde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 1:46 am, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:

>> [lies about Ubuntu snipped]

> I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
> only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
> would push a release with it being so "flakey"

Hello Flatfish!

--
Regards,
Gregory.

William Poaster

May 14, 2011, 10:42:13 AM5/14/11

> On 2011-05-14, Flatfish sock <judde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 7, 1:46 am, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>
>>> [lies about Ubuntu snipped]
>
>> I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
>> only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
>> would push a release with it being so "flakey"
>
> Hello Flatfish!

The Flatfarce troll posting to itself? Say it ain't so!
Is he missing the M$ Hadron zealot humping his leg, perhaps...

--
Earth is 98% full...please delete anyone you can.
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.

DFS

May 14, 2011, 11:54:15 AM5/14/11
On 5/14/2011 9:51 AM, jud wrote:

>> flatfish+++
>> Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Watching Linux Fail:http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
>> "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
>> in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_th...
>
> I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
> only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
> would push a release with it being so "flakey"

I have some "speculations" why:

* That's the best they can do given their lack of pay, experience,
knowledge and commitment.

* They don't give a shit about the user.

* It was April 30 and the boss said "Ship it!" and they hit the "Release
crapware!" button.

* They had a big batch of untested code ready for the "Final Release"
and they wanted some fresh victims

* their high-school break was over and they had to get back to Algebra I

flatfish+++

May 14, 2011, 1:13:18 PM5/14/11
On 14 May 2011 14:33:45 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2011-05-14, Flatfish sock <judde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 7, 1:46 am, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>
>>> [lies about Ubuntu snipped]
>
>> I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
>> only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
>> would push a release with it being so "flakey"
>
> Hello Flatfish!

Yea...You idiots must think I have 15 broadband connections with 15
different ISP.s

Hint, I know you're not too smart nor adept at reading headers but you
might want to give it a try sometime.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Chris Ahlstrom

May 14, 2011, 3:05:31 PM5/14/11
Gregory Shearman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2011-05-14, Flatfish sock <judde...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On May 7, 1:46??am, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>
>>> [lies about Ubuntu snipped]
>
>> I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
>> only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
>> would push a release with it being so "flakey"
>
> Hello Flatfish!

Is Flounder playing with himself again?

--
Something's rotten in the state of Flounder.
-- Shakespeare

Chris Ahlstrom

May 14, 2011, 3:08:29 PM5/14/11
William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> I am soo glad to read through these threads and realize i'm not the
>>> only one having these problems... has anybody speculated on why they
>>> would push a release with it being so "flakey"
>>
>> Hello Flatfish!
>
> The Flatfarce troll posting to itself? Say it ain't so!
> Is he missing the M$ Hadron zealot humping his leg, perhaps...

Probably not. Flounder has "DFS" as his own personal foil these days.
You don't even have to read the posts. Just look at the thread
outline:

DFS

-- flatfish++
DFS

-- flatfish++
DFS

-- flatfish++
Chris Ahlstrom

-- flatfish++

Seems like Flounder is a "follower", rather than a leader, these days.
Why?

There's precious little left in the problem areas of Linux these days.
Time to start concentrating on the users.

--
Screw up your courage! You've screwed up everything else.

TomB

May 14, 2011, 5:30:33 PM5/14/11
On 2011-05-14, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:

> Probably not. Flounder has "DFS" as his own personal foil these
> days. You don't even have to read the posts. Just look at the
> thread outline:
>
> DFS
> |
> -- flatfish++
> DFS
> |
> -- flatfish++
> DFS
> |
> -- flatfish++
> Chris Ahlstrom
> |
> -- flatfish++

DFS accused Chris (the German one) of forging his newsreader
screenshot, but that is how the thread navigation pane tends to look
like a lot these days.

It's boring.

--
I'll be Bach.
~ Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger

DFS

May 14, 2011, 6:23:14 PM5/14/11

It's what you and every "advocate" here lives for. This place isn't
nearly worth tuning into without us.

flatfish+++

Goblin

May 14, 2011, 6:23:23 PM5/14/11
On 05/14/2011 11:25 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 18:23:14 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> On 5/14/2011 5:30 PM, TomB wrote:
>>> On 2011-05-14, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:

>>> DFS accused Chris (the German one) of forging his newsreader
>>> screenshot, but that is how the thread navigation pane tends to look
>>> like a lot these days.
>>>
>>> It's boring.
>>
>> It's what you and every "advocate" here lives for. This place isn't
>> nearly worth tuning into without us.
>
> That's right..
> When we boycotted COLA last year, all they could talk about was trolls!!
>
> Hahaha!

Then you should be very pleased with yourselves that you are keeping a
Linux advocacy newsgroup alive, if what you say is true.

--

Openbytes - the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! http://www.openbytes.tk
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."

Mail: bytes...@googlemail.com
Skype: tim.openbytes
Identi.ca: http://identi.ca/openbytes
Twitter: http://twitter.com/_goblin

Tattoo Vampire

May 14, 2011, 8:37:12 PM5/14/11
Pud puller wrote:

Hi flatty

chrisv

May 16, 2011, 8:17:43 AM5/16/11
TomB wrote:

>> DFS
>> |
>> -- flatfish++
>> DFS
>> |
>> -- flatfish++
>> Chris Ahlstrom
>> |
>> -- flatfish++
>
>DFS accused Chris (the German one) of forging his newsreader
>screenshot, but that is how the thread navigation pane tends to look
>like a lot these days.

I see none of it. Can't understand why anyone would.

unclemike

May 17, 2011, 5:39:02 AM5/17/11
flatfish+++ wrote on 05/07/2011 01:46 ET :
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t 50972
> Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

> flatfish+++
> Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
>
> Watching Linux Fail:
> http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/
>
> Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
> "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
> in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

I don't very often comment on these things, and I'm always keen on trying new
things...
So far Ubuntu 10.10 created a big confidence in Linux to me. I really liked
it,
and still do.
This new 11.04 distro or upgrade.... please people, stay away from it! A very
strange GUI and buggy as hell.
As I am writing this reply on a windows 7 machine, my linux machine is doing a
full restore from a image back to Ubuntu 10.10...

Maybe I better also checked the internet forums before clicking "yes,
upgrade" ...

Chris

May 17, 2011, 4:15:38 PM5/17/11
Am Tue, 17 May 2011 04:39:02 -0500 schrieb unclemike:

> This new 11.04 distro or upgrade.... please people, stay away from it!
> A very strange GUI and buggy as hell.
> As I am writing this reply on a windows 7 machine, my linux machine is
> doing a full restore from a image back to Ubuntu 10.10...

Why not just use the "Ubuntu Classic" session? It's gnome 2.32.

Marti Van Lin

May 17, 2011, 4:45:11 PM5/17/11
Op 17-05-11 22:15, Chris schreef:

Because he is a lying nymshifting Microsoft Evangelist who has never
installed /any/ GNU/Linux distribution in his entire miserable life.

The MSG-headers reveal it all ;-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://osg33x.blogspot.com

flatfish+++

May 17, 2011, 6:54:20 PM5/17/11
On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:45:11 +0200, Marti Van Lin wrote:

> Op 17-05-11 22:15, Chris schreef:
>
>> Am Tue, 17 May 2011 04:39:02 -0500 schrieb unclemike:
>>
>>> This new 11.04 distro or upgrade.... please people, stay away from it!
>>> A very strange GUI and buggy as hell.
>>> As I am writing this reply on a windows 7 machine, my linux machine is
>>> doing a full restore from a image back to Ubuntu 10.10...
>>
>> Why not just use the "Ubuntu Classic" session? It's gnome 2.32.
>
> Because he is a lying nymshifting Microsoft Evangelist who has never
> installed /any/ GNU/Linux distribution in his entire miserable life.
>
> The MSG-headers reveal it all ;-)

Really sMarti?

Well here are the headers from that particular post.
Now why don't you explain to us how "The MSG-headers reveal it all ;-)"

Your words sMarti.

So why not educate us on this one.
Or of course you can run and hide up Roy's skirt like you usually do.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4552d3063040a2a1?hl=en&dmode=source

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Is Buggy..Even the Fanboys Agree....
From: unclemike <unclem...@domain-xyz.in>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 04:39:02 -0500

I expect you will be disappearing again sMarti.

DFS

May 17, 2011, 7:30:53 PM5/17/11
On 5/17/2011 4:45 PM, Marti Van Lin wrote:
> Op 17-05-11 22:15, Chris schreef:
>
>> Am Tue, 17 May 2011 04:39:02 -0500 schrieb unclemike:
>>
>>> This new 11.04 distro or upgrade.... please people, stay away from it!
>>> A very strange GUI and buggy as hell.
>>> As I am writing this reply on a windows 7 machine, my linux machine is
>>> doing a full restore from a image back to Ubuntu 10.10...
>>
>> Why not just use the "Ubuntu Classic" session? It's gnome 2.32.
>
> Because he is a lying nymshifting Microsoft Evangelist who has never
> installed /any/ GNU/Linux distribution in his entire miserable life.

Signed,
Marti
"Love is the only thing that matters"

flatfish+++

May 17, 2011, 7:39:05 PM5/17/11

He's right about that, in the scheme of things.

Too bad he doesn't practice what he preaches.

Typical behavior for a Linux freetard hypocrite.