Boycottnovell a TROJAN SITE. STAY CLEAR!

sampurnashre...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 3:41:20 PM1/31/09
www.boycottnovell.com is a site that appears to be infested with
trojans. The site loads extremely slowly and at times renders Safari
useless. Since I visted that site my Windows computer has been running
very slow and experiencing a lot of outbound requests which my Sygate
firewall seems to be blocking.
Avoid the site www.boycottnovell.com is my advice.

High Plains Thumper

Jan 31, 2009, 3:53:15 PM1/31/09
sampurnashre...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello Gary. See you have a new flatfish nym. How's the open
proxy from Germany working out for you?

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_87.230.58.14

[quote]
87.230.58.14

The Project Honey Pot system has detected behavior from the IP
address consistent with that of a comment spammer. Below we've
reported some other data associated with this IP. This
interrelated data helps map spammers' networks and aids in law
enforcement efforts. If you know something about this IP, please
leave a comment.
[/quote]

--
HPT

Message has been deleted

Bert Hyman

Jan 31, 2009, 4:05:26 PM1/31/09
In
sampurnashre...@gmail.com wrote:

> Avoid the site www.boycottnovell.com is my advice.

You'll pardon my skepticism about such a recommendation coming from
someone posting from "Host Europe", the management of which is an
outspoken supporter of Novell's SUSE Linux.

But that's just me.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

7

Jan 31, 2009, 4:16:32 PM1/31/09
Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster
pounding the sock sampurnashresthaoperator wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
Micoshaft Appil Department of Marketing:

Don't believe micoshaft sponsored fraudsters and novel's crap

But Linux is free as in freedom and comes with source code to modify
to heart's content and sell it and distribute the source code.
http://www.livecdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com

Whoooop! Whoooop! Whoooop! Micoshaft is sinking!!

Every man woman and chair throwing persons JUMP SHIP!!!
Excuse us, but WINTROLLS and Asstroturfers FIRST!

And if they don't jump, then throw them overboard!!!

Google now 70% size of micoshaft and continues to grow!!!

So do all Linux companies in a recession!!!

BWAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Wintrolls and their opinions are worthless.
Governments and businesses should listen to Google and Linux
companies if they want economics advise on how to
make growth happen because they are the growth companies
in the recession.

Asstroturfing for micoshaft corporation has never been such
a pissy joke of job. No one in government should pay
any attention to micoshaft asstroturfers or do deals
with micoshaft marketing criminals. Leverage Linux and
crack the whip to get them out of your businesses.
Escort all Micoshaft sales off your premises if they don't
sign your NDA and agree not to file reports to management because this this
is what they do behind your backs after sales meetings...

All here PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org

All in plain English how they abused Linux engineers and their opinions by
getting at their management by threatening not to train techies, threatening
to block del sales staff from sales meetings, denying further investment,
and denying web content. Del management abused Linux engineers and managers
back in 2002 on orders from micoshaft to eliminate
Linux from their portfolio, lied to investors about Linux uptake and
then ran Del to the ground by missing all the opportunities
from 2002. Now companies like Ausus make more money from Linux PCs than Del.
Del investors and the public have ALL been misled about Linux ALL this time.

All the while Linux has grown.
3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY being sold.
From flat TVs to MP3/MP4?MP5 players, Linux is everywhere.
Whether its IP webcams, digital photoframes, routers,
DVD players or set top boxes, its all Linux.
The electronics high street market would not exist today
if it were not for Linux.
All the retailers should be totaling up everything that
has Linux inside it as Linux based revenue and leverage that
to push out micoshaft products that don't make money.
And then change all the PCs to Linux and OpenOffice so that
staff are more tuned to Linux and on how to serve the 3 million+
buying public better. And then send all the product managers
packing to the Far East and tell them to specify more
Linux products with more features.
You want a camera flash disk player that can also
record TV and have TV tuner? No problem - with Linux
you just have to specify - someone will make it for you!
The quicker you specify and get it to market, the more
pile you make. And Linux has made more money for retailers
than all of micoshaft and appil combined.

Roy Schestowitz

Jan 31, 2009, 4:34:05 PM1/31/09

Hadron

Jan 31, 2009, 5:08:41 PM1/31/09
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> writes:

> In
> sampurnashre...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Avoid the site www.boycottnovell.com is my advice.
>
> You'll pardon my skepticism about such a recommendation coming from
> someone posting from "Host Europe", the management of which is an
> outspoken supporter of Novell's SUSE Linux.
>
> But that's just me.

The same you that posts using a closed source Windows newsreader?

Don Zeigler

Jan 31, 2009, 5:12:09 PM1/31/09
Hadron wrote:

> The

Shut up, Quack. No one gave you permission to speak.
--
Regards,
[dmz]

...Acid absorbs 10 times its weight in excess reality.

Terry Porter

Jan 31, 2009, 5:13:58 PM1/31/09
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> There is NO Trojan and the site had a lot of traffic coming mostly from
> Digg, so it need a rest until less requests are made. This happens every
> now and then despite page caching.

Of course there isn't, the Wintrolls, have just targeted you once again.

Your site works perfectly for me, and has a ton of interesting info!

What's more, when I checked it today, I discovered you're the author of a
variant of my *favorite* game, Othello, also known as Reversi :)

Awesome!

indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

Hadron

Jan 31, 2009, 5:17:01 PM1/31/09
Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> The
>
> Shut up, Quack. No one gave you permission to speak.

Shouldn't you be tucking Liarnut into bed? He's all tired after his day
insulting OSS developers and making an arse of himself.

Roy Schestowitz

Jan 31, 2009, 5:26:26 PM1/31/09

Terry Porter

Jan 31, 2009, 6:16:00 PM1/31/09
Crossposts snipped.

A wintroll using the name sampurnashre...@gmail.com FUDded RoyS and
1/2 of Usenet today with the following trash:-

The true facts are of course, another matter entirely. Just ask yourself, if
the wintrolls are willing to pervert the truth so badly about a pro Linux
posters website, what length are they willing to go to to *lie* about
GNU/Linux ?

Can anybody believe *anything* the wintrolls post ?

begin{quote}
Earlier this morning, you may have been surprised to see that every Google
search you performed resulted in links to sites which were, according to
Google, potentially harmful to your computer. As it turns out, Google's
malware detection system got a little trigger-happy - due to a human error.

Google's malware detector works via a partnership with the non-profit
organisation StopBadware.org, who aid Google by supplying them with a list
of sites known to install malware. Google updates these lists regularly,
but sadly, the URL "/" got accidentally added to the list- effectively
blacklisting every asite on the internet (except YouTube, actually).

Unfortunately (and here's the human error), the URL of '/' was mistakenly
checked in as a value to the file and '/' expands to all URLs. Fortunately,
our on-call site reliability team found the problem quickly and reverted
the file. Since we push these updates in a staggered and rolling fashion,
the errors began appearing between 6:27 a.m. and 6:40 a.m. and began
disappearing between 7:10 and 7:25 a.m., [all time sin PST] so the duration
of the problem for any particular user was approximately 40 minutes."

The error was quickly fixed by Google, and the company has promised to
review their policies regarding the malware detector blacklists, and
assures us it won't happen again.
end{quote}

http://osnews.com/story/20887/Google_Labels_Entire_Internet_As_Dangerous

Join the winning team, and get your Free GNU/Linux/Ubuntu LIVE CD at :-
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

PerfectReign

Jan 31, 2009, 6:23:02 PM1/31/09

Looks like there's a bit of an issue: This Account is Experiencing Technical
Difficulties

COLA?

WTF?

Oh, wait...

http://www.linux.com/feature/151215

"Although founded by Shane Coyle, Boycott Novell is best known for the
writings of Roy Schestowitz, a seemingly tireless poster who frequently
writes half a dozen or more articles a day for the site, and posts numerous
comments elsewhere across the Internet"

Ahh, there we go.

There's a freak writing paranoid delusions on the site.

Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it. - Dee
Hock

Martin Jay

Jan 31, 2009, 6:51:45 PM1/31/09

"This Account is Experiencing Technical Difficulties."

I think I'd be avoiding Safari if it allowed Trojans to be installed
without any active input from the user. :)
--
Martin Jay

Don Zeigler

Jan 31, 2009, 9:28:29 PM1/31/09
Hadron wrote:

> Shouldn't you be tucking Liarnut into bed? He's all tired after his day
> insulting OSS developers and making an arse of himself.

Shouldn't you be getting ready for the weekly circle jerk of the COLA
trolls? DFS says it's your turn to be the pivot man...

--
Regards,
[dmz]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...* <--- Tribble . <--- Tribble.zip

Snit

Jan 31, 2009, 9:51:43 PM1/31/09
Don Zeigler stated in post sunk9ro0...@this.domain.or.that on 1/31/09
3:12 PM:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> The
>
> Shut up, Quack. No one gave you permission to speak.

This is a public forum.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Hadron

Jan 31, 2009, 11:09:17 PM1/31/09
Don Zeigler <sit...@this.computer> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't you be tucking Liarnut into bed? He's all tired after his day
>> insulting OSS developers and making an arse of himself.
>
> Shouldn't you be getting ready for the weekly circle jerk of the COLA
> trolls? DFS says it's your turn to be the pivot man...

Whatever those things are.

Be careful when you sit down Don. You'll squash Liarnut unless you have
him surgically removed from your backside or "pee-pee".

Roy Schestowitz

Feb 1, 2009, 1:47:52 AM2/1/09

Don Zeigler

Feb 1, 2009, 1:55:07 AM2/1/09
Hadron wrote:

> Be careful when you sit down

Be careful when you come to a sudden halt.
--
Please write your complaint legibly in this box -->[]

Regards,
[dmz]

Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

ml2mst

Feb 1, 2009, 2:48:23 AM2/1/09
I went yesterday several times on BN (had to link to a couple of
articles) and didn't even noticed the downtime. So I was rather
surprised by this:

http://boycottnovell.com/2009/02/01/performance-and-downtime/

Noticed Gary's BS this morning, but ignored it (as usual).

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

Clogwog

Jan 31, 2009, 4:24:56 PM1/31/09
"High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> schreef in bericht

> sampurnashre...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> www.boycottnovell.com is a site that appears to be infested
>> with trojans. The site loads extremely slowly and at times
>> renders Safari useless. Since I visted that site my Windows
>> computer has been running very slow and experiencing a lot of
>> outbound requests which my Sygate firewall seems to be
>> blocking.
>> Avoid the site www.boycottnovell.com is my advice.
>
> Hello Gary. See you have a new flatfish nym. How's the open proxy from
> Germany working out for you?

So you deny that Roy Schestowitz is spreading viruses these days, mmmmm
interesting, he's done that before via www.schestowitz.com !
http://groups.google.com.mx/group/alt.computer.security/msg/77e0e1a0eb589e32?dmode=source&output=gplain
People avoid www.boycottnovell.com and www.schestowitz.com
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your pathetic, High Plains Thumper AKA HPT AKA Rafael AKA George Hostler AKA
Wendy Toiletwater AKA Willy Wong AKA Wang Mycock!

High Plains Thumper

Feb 1, 2009, 8:00:46 AM2/1/09
Clogwog (Rick Mather AKA many nyms) wrote:
> High Plains Thumper schreef...
>> sampurnashre...@gmail.com (Gary AKA flatfish)

>> wrote:
>>
>>> www.boycottnovell.com is a site that appears to be
>>> infested with trojans. The site loads extremely slowly and
>>> at times renders Safari useless. Since I visted that site
>>> my Windows computer has been running very slow and
>>> experiencing a lot of outbound requests which my Sygate
>>> firewall seems to be blocking. Avoid the site
>>> www.boycottnovell.com is my advice.
>>
>> Hello Gary. See you have a new flatfish nym. How's the open
>> proxy from Germany working out for you?
>
> So [snip net k00k false data with ad hominem rant]

Clogwog must be posting again from his office in the Nederlander
bird sanctuary island or in the Australian desert outpost.

Not to bore advocates, for those new to the group may read all
about him in:

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/09/clogwog-troll.html

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 1, 2009, 10:09:51 AM2/1/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Don Zeigler belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't you be tucking Liarnut into bed? He's all tired after his day
>> insulting OSS developers and making an arse of himself.

Where did I insult anyone? I jibed Jörg, and then apologized for it.

The Lying Hadron Cunt, of course, ignores the apology.

> Shouldn't you be getting ready for the weekly circle jerk of the COLA
> trolls? DFS says it's your turn to be the pivot man...

Hadron's special expertise is in arses, pee-pees, and tongues.

Except when he exhibits his fake Victorian sensibilities.

--
During the American Revolution, a Britisher tried to raid a farm. He
stumbled across a rock on the ground and fell, whereupon an agressive Rhode

Clogwog

Feb 2, 2009, 7:39:01 AM2/2/09
"High Plains Thumper" <highplai...@invalid.invalid> schreef in bericht

Roy Schestowitz is the SPAMKING of comp.os.linux.advocacy

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=xFvp2hoAAAAb4mOWpyzVaW0aq-bp9NGnjj6y1UsWUZHxqbrtGgkPow

http://tinyurl.com/2etnjh

http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007/09/roy-schestowitz-liar.html

"Roy Schestowitz is a career college student at some liberal artsy
university. He has never had a job or any responsibility in his life and
his poor parents have been supporting his butt for many years. Instead of
actually graduating like you're supposed to this proven liar spends 24
hours a day, 7 days a week (including all holidays) posting lies to every
corner of the internet. He posts to a Microsoft-hate newsgroup called COLA
for instance where he finds the time to make thousands of posts each month.
Really... this is no exaggeration. He literally makes several thousand
posts per month to this lowly newsgroup instead of studying or getting a
job. He was posting so much and misusing his college computers so much that
after several warnings and complaints his school had no choice but to
suspend his internet posting privileges. (He's not supposed to use school
computers for personal gain.) Now he uses Mark Kent's account (another
linux liar) to spew his lies and hatred from.

He was recently found guilty of stealing artwork from other websites and
posting them on his site despite the clear and obvious copyright warnings.
He has no hesitation in shamelessly stealing the work of others and posting
it up on his website as his own in order to try and make a few pennies
profit.

Other than posting to COLA he has his own anti-Microsoft website and
created for-profit websites that attempt to boycott linux vendors he
doesn't like such as Novell, Xandros and etc. His specialty is to take news
stories and twist the headline and contents of the story into something
that was never written. Unsuspecting readers will see the post from Roy
Schestowitz and assume it's the truth when in reality it's nothing but
lies, delusions, ravings and rants from this immature child."

......... And read the fucking FAQ, troll!
http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/43327f0c6ce4d84b?hl=nl&dmode=source&output=gplain&pli=1
--

High Plains Thumper AKA HPT AKA Rafael AKA George Hostler AKA Wendy

Toiletwater AKA Willy Wong AKA Wang Mycock AKA Anna Banger AKA Susan
McSquatter and many, many, many others. High Plains Thumper seems to have a
crossdressing fetish mixed in with his admitted homosexuality.
High Plains Thumper the Liar, Cocksucker, Retard, Nymshifter, NetKKKop,
Netnanny!

High Plains Thumper

Feb 2, 2009, 9:03:42 AM2/2/09
Clogwog (Rick Mather) AKA nymthief of chrisv, High Plains
Thumper, AKA Kutloze Scheefgepoepte, Chelatobacter Ariomus,
Cyanocobalamine-Hydrocobamine-derivaat-injectiecyclus-met-
zaagtandvormige B12-lijn, Hans, Kadaitcha Man, Peer Geilzeever,
Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot, Gozewienus Smegmasmuller, Arsene van
Tiethuysen, Deodatus Kuttenvanger, Olivier Anusjager, Quirinus
Pukkelpenis, Gradus Kanusmans, Berend van het Aarshouweel,
Driekus van 't Lullenhof, Derk den Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel,
Arie Drollenboer, Wullum Droogkloot, Peer van der Berigheid,
Arend Keuvelklier, Marinus Pielrukker, Karel Klootendraaier,
Dingeman Sneerbakkus, Kobus Binnenaars, Manus Simpelcont, Jodocus
Uytbuicker, Arsene den Rode-Apenkontjager, Desederius van der
Keutelenhof, Querinus van der Tiethuyzen, Gezinus den
Sluitspierbeul, Dingeman Sneerbakkus and others wrote:
> High Plains Thumper schreef... "High Plains Thumper"
> schreef...

>> Clogwog (Rick Mather AKA many nyms) wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper schreef...

>>> So [snip net k00k false data with ad hominem rant]
>>
>> Clogwog must be posting again from his office in the
>> Nederlander bird sanctuary island or in the Australian
>> desert outpost.
>>
>> Not to bore advocates, for those new to the group may read
>> all about him in:
>>
>> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/09/clogwog-troll.html
>
> Roy [snip ad hominem ramblings from this Usenet k00k]

Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at:

Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights Reserved

Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy

Edition III

April 19, 2002

| Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
| many will eat your bread while working against |
| you. They will take credit for your good works |
| and blame you for their own misdeeds. |
| - TheGreat Unknown |

1.1 Availability

This document is posted on a weekly to the comp.os.linux.advocacy,
comp.answers, and news.answers newsgroups. In addition it is archived at
rtfm.mit.edu ftp archive and its mirrors and is also available on the
Internet FAQ Consortium's website at www.faqs.org.

1.2 Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy

If you are new to Linux and/or comp.os.linux.advocacy, welcome. It is
hoped that you will will enjoy your time in comp.os.linux.advocacy and
find it educational. We also hope that you will find Linux as useful for
you. and that in the ripeness of time that you will become a contributing
member of the Linux community.

COLA is like a meeting hall for Linux advocacy. A place where those who
advocate the use of Linux can meet and discuss all things Linux. In
addition it is a place were individuals interested in Linux can come to
gain an understanding of the Linux and the Linux community and to learn
about the capabilities of Linux from those who are experienced with the
use, administration, and development of Linux.

By using Linux as a user or sysadmin you are a member of the Linux
community of which this newsgroup is an asset. The Linux community is
world-wide and interconnected by the internet and other networks gated to
the internet.

The description that your news server delivers to you for
comp.os.linux.advocacy, or COLA for short, is "Benefits of Linux compared
to other operating systems". That description is derived from the charter
of COLA. Sometimes advocacy groups are viewed as a place where the
bickering undesirables of other newsgroups are directed, in order to
remove a disruption from another group on the same general subject. That
is incorrect for COLA.

1.3 Contributing to this FAQ and Primer

All those who advocate the use of Linux are invited to submit material and
suggestions to be considered for future versions of this document.
Submissions should be sent by email to m...@mindspring.com. You may also
post your submissions in COLA; however, in that case you should still
email your submission as well, so that the submission will not be missed
as can happen if it were posted in COLA only.

Submissions offered by those who may deemed to be hostile to Linux,
including but not limited to anti-Linux propagandists, will not be
accepted.

1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems.

That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as a
place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn more
about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call
for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order
to discredit Linux.

You may have heard of another charter sometimes called by some the
"original charter," that opens the newsgroup to the abuses that are
inflicted on Linux by those who oppose Linux. That other charter never
existed, it was a proposed charter for another newsgroup that never was
created that would also have been called comp.os.linux.advocacy.

On 14 Feb 1994, Danny Gould dgo...@helix.nih.gov posted
comp.os.linux.advocacy-R...@uunet.uu.net a Request for Discussion entitled
"Request for Discussion (RFD) on comp.os.linux.advocacy" to the
news.groups newsgroup. That RFD was cross posted to the appropriate
newsgroups and a number of other inappropriate newsgroups as well. It
included the following proposed charter:

The proposed group will provide a forum for the discussion of Linux. In
addition, it will allow comp.os.linux.misc to deal with Linux-specific
issues. Discussion will include (but not be limited to) the discussion
of the pros and cons of Linux and applications for Linux, and the
comparison of Linux with other operating systems and environments such
as Microsoft DOS and Windows, SCO UNIX, Coherent, NeXTstep, Macintosh
System, etc. It will be an unmoderated forum.

The call for votes on the proposal was not posted, the issue died without
a vote.

On 4 Oct 1994, Dave Sill d...@ornl.gov posted 37mn57$...@rodan.UU.NET a
Request for Discussion entitled "REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
comp.os.linux reorganization." Thus far comp.os.linux.advocacy was not yet
proposed. Note that unlike Danny, Dave posted the Request for Discussions
to appropriate newsgroups only, that is a hallmark of a serious effort.

On 14 Oct 1994, Dave Sill d...@de5.ornl.gov posted 37mn57$...@rodan.UU.NET
a revised version of this Request for Discussion, this revised posting
called for the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy among other
comp.os.linux.* groups. Dave proposed this charter for
comp.os.linux.advocacy:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems.

The Call for Votes went out in the required form, and on 13 Dec 1994
posted the results ikl...@amdahl.com with greater than 8 to 1 in favor of
the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy (our COLA) with Dave's proposed
charter. On that date, that charter became effective and that other
charter that was proposed for the other comp.os.linux.advocacy that never
was created, never became anything that affects this
comp.os.linux.advocacy.

Those who oppose Linux and have invaded comp.os.linux.advocacy in order to
try to subvert the purpose of this newsgroup will continue as they have to
insult the intelligence of the Linux advocates by citing that other
proposed charter of that other newsgroup that never came into existence.
They also have continued to quote from the introductory paragraph of the
Danny's Request for Discussion as though that were a part of any actual or
even a part of the failed, proposed charter. Perhaps they feel that the
introductory section provides them with a greater impact.

When someone posts citations from that failed Request for Discussion in
order to make it appear that the anti-Linux propagandists are sanctioned
to be posting in COLA, as was done by an anti-Linux propagandist on
January 13, 2002 in article pMr08.457$Wf1.316...@ruti.visi.com, then once
again by another anti-Linux propagandist on February 13, 2002 in article
d6761fb5.0202131955.6c3b9...@posting.google.com they are not only using
disinformation they are also insulting the intelligence of everyone who is
a reader COLA.

2 COLA

2.1 On Topic Subjects

On-topic is anything anything regarding Linux that is of interest to a
person who advocates the use of Linux, or requests for information about
Linux by a person who would like to learn about it. COLA is also a great
place to share your Linux success stories.

COLA is not a place to advocate the use of other operating systems, there
are other newsgroups for advocating them. COLA is not a place to vent real
or imagined complaints regarding Linux. There are other newsgroups created
for that purpose.

COLA is not a place to post advertisements or other promotions for
financial gain or for promoting anything other than the use of Linux
operating system and growth of the Linux community.

3 Linux

Linux is an operating system based on the unix class of operating systems.
It can be argued that Linux is the kernel of the operating system;
however, in common usage the word Linux is used to refer to entire
operating system as a whole, an operating system comprised of the kernel,
systems utility software, user utility software and to a lesser extent the
applications software. This is the practice that will be followed in this
document. Specific instances of this from given vendors are referred to as
Linux Distributions.

Linux as stated above, is based on unix, but is not legally a clone of the
unix operating system. On the other hand it looks like unix, behaves like
unix, feels like unix enough to functionally be considered a unix. Linux
is more compatible with both major classes of unix, BSD and AT&T, than
they are with each other. Linux fully operates with with the other unixes
as an equal peer via networking.

Linux runs software compatible with those other unixes and in most cases
the very same software does run on each of those unixes and Linux as well.
Where the other unixes have deviated from each other with various
utilities or services, Linux typically supports both of their styles of
utilities. Often Linux is more compatible with the various unixes, than
they are with each other.

Linus Torvalds started developing Linux from scratch as a better unix than
than the Minix that was then available. Minix is a contraction of Minimal
Unix, and is the name of a very minimal unix that was licensed for
educational purposes. The name Linux is in turn a contraction of Linus's
Minix, although the actual results of Linus's early releases had already
so far out classed Minix so that Linus's Unix would have been a better
base to form the contraction Linux.

One of the major goals of creating Linux was to create a unix that was
free from the encumbrances of existing unixes and the licensing that
restricted the use of Minix. So it was necessary to write the Linux kernel
from scratch.

The Linux operating system provides all the features that users and
administrators should expect from any modern, high-performance operating
system. Many of these features have been a part of Linux and stable for
years. While the developers of various, so-called popular operating
systems claim to be innovating, they are only playing catch up with Linux.
As this document is being written, Linux is increasing its lead with the
development on the 2.5.x series developmental/experimental kernels.

3.1 The Kernel

The Kernel is the core of the operating system. That is the part that
communicates with devices, handles memory management, schedules processes,
and provides other basic services to the systems utility software, user
utility software and applications software. Thanks to the fact that the
kernel handles the hardware and provides a uniform view of it to higher
level software, regardless of your hardware platform, Linux will present
the user with a uniform environment. That means that once you as a user of
Linux learn to run it on a PC, or a Mac, or a minicomputer, or a mainframe
computer you will be able to sit down to use Linux on any other of the
supported platforms, and feel right at home. The hardware may look and
feel different such as a different key layout or a different pointing
device, but Linux knowledge is portable across hardware platforms. Members
of the team that produced this document can attest to this, through their
first hand experience on multiple hardware platforms running Linux.

Many versions of the Linux kernel have been released, in fact since the
release of the Linux kernel version 1.0.0 in there have been over 600
official main line kernels released, including the AC series of Linux
kernels there have been almost 900 releases in that time. The reason for
so many releases has to do with the development of the kernel being an
open process, this way you don't have to wait for months or years for a
needed patch to be provided or for a feature that you really need to be
made available.

3.9 Linux's Compatibility With Other Operating System

Linux is compatible at different levels with many other operating systems,
ranging from the networking level all the way to running the same
software.

3.9.1 Compatible With Windows

Linux can run Windows software by running that software under the actual
Windows operating system (requiring a properly licensed copy of Windows)
that is in turn running as a guest operating system in a PC emulator such
as VMware. Linux can also run Windows software on Linux itself with an
implementation of the Windows Application Programming Interface (API) via
Wine. It is also possible to compile the source code for Windows based
software on Linux and link it against the Wine libraries to produce a
Linux executable of that Windows software. One note about Wine, Wine can
only run on PC style hardware, since it is not a PC emulator hardware, and
runs the Windows software directly on the underlying processor.

Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for Windows
computers by running Samba using TCP/IP networking. You can also use
MarsNWE to provide printers and network volumes using IPX/SPX networking.
Linux can also access shares and printers provided by computers running
Windows by the use of Samba and the Samba filesystem. Linux can also be a
file, and print server to Windows clients by using Samba. Linux machines
can access Windows machines that are emulating NetWare file servers by
using the NetWare core protocol filesystem.

Linux can read and write to Windows hard drive partitions that use the
filesystems of MS-DOS and Windows 9x. The NTFS filesystem are a bit
problematic because of their nature and they way their specifications
change from version to version. Linux can read Windows NT, Windows 2000,
and Windows XP NTFS partitions well; however, writing directly to such
partitions is possible but not recommended.

There is an indirect method for Linux to read and write to NTFS
partitions. Running Windows under a PC emulator such as VMware, give that
copy of Windows access to the NTFS partition or partitions and have that
copy of Windows running as a fileserver. Then let Linux access the
fileserver through a virtual or actual network connection.

Linux understands the Windows extensions to the CD-ROM standards. Linux
can both read them and generate them. Linux can also access Windows
diskettes and other disk media, either by mounting them as any other Linux
partition can be mounted, or by the use of the mtools.

3.9.3 Compatible With MacOS

Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for Macintosh
computers. Linux can access Macintosh based print servers and fileserver.

Linux can read and write Macintosh floppies, hard drives, and other disk
media.

3.10 Linux Leaves Users Wanting Less

From them 1950's through the 1970's users would expect their computers to
operate as specified in the manuals and the specification sheets. The POP
manuals (Principal of Operations manuals) and the rest of the
documentation of those computers were considered to be faithful
representations of the operations of those computers.

There was one computer that was installed in 1964, the organization that
owned it decommisioned it in 1984, and wanted to donate it to a college
computer science department but they had lost the installation media of
the machine's operating system. The computer was running twenty-four hours
a day and seven days a week for those twenty years without a single reboot
or any down time. There were components that had failed: individual tape
drives and card readers/punches had worn out and were replaced, CRT
terminals were added and the most of the card readers, the old model 26
keypunch stations and most of the model 29 keypunch stations were retired.
Disk drives were added to that computer years after the initial
installation, None of that needed any downtime or reboots.

In the 1970's there was the development of microprocessors and
microcomputers, most of them matched their operating systems in what ever
form they came in and were as reliable as the computers of the prior
decade. Some of the hardware was problematic but the operating systems
would generally operate as specified.

In the early 1980's something started to change. Today many users have
come to accept and even expect their computers and operating system to
fail frequently, many shops now use regular reboot cycles as an attempt to
use pre-emptive reboots to avoid crashes at unexpected times. They have
come to expect their operating systems and systems software and
applications software to not work as documented. What is even worse, they
often see nothing wrong with that madness. In prior decades, if such
undependability and unreliability were experienced, it would not have not
been acceptable and the vendor would have to replace those useless systems
and often had to pay for the customer's losses as well.

Now flash forward to present day, users have come to expect very little
from their computers. Such poor performance has led them to expect less
and less while wanting more and more with little prospect of getting it.
But in addition to such unreliable operating systems, there is Linux,
leaving its users wanting less and less because it provides more and more
all the time.

* A stable operating system
Linux users no longer want for a stable operating system because Linux
is as stable operating system. Twenty four hours, seven days a week
non-stop operation for years at a time with off the shelf PC hardware
is not anything unusual for Linux. As members of the FAQ and Primer
team can attest to from personal experience.

* An operating system that doesn't require me to spend a fortune on new
hardware.
Linux can run on hardware with just the computing power needed or that
is available. Linux sysadmins upgrade to more powerful hardware to
have more power available for their users, not to regain yesterday's
performance from today's operating system.

* An operating system with a decent graphical user interface.
Or rather one that can be configured to work the way you want it too.
With the look and feel you seek. Linux does not actually have any
graphical user interfaces, but the X Windowing System is commonly run
on Linux and other unixes. There are also other graphical user
interface besides the X Window System that can run on Linux, including
some next generation test bed systems. If a Linux user wishes he can
run today a user interface that won't be available elsewhere for years
or even decades, that is if he likes to live on the bleeding edge.

* An operating system with lots of useful stuff built in.
Much of what a person needs to purchase to get some other operating
systems to be useful comes with the common Linux distributions.
Sometimes in surprising ways, such as the little program named "cat"
that concatenates files and is the more powerful original that the DOS
command "type" was copied from. The program "cat" also provides by
itself much of the functionality of Norton Ghost.

* An operating system that doesn't try to prevent me from using my
computer.
Linux does not second guess or interfere with the human decision
making process. It respects the wisdom of the human sysadmin and the
user. There are utilities available to automate that, but in the end
humans are the bosses. There has been a call for more "Windows like"
automation to take over from human authority, one distribution that
used that philosophy was Corel Linux. It is now a hated distribution
by its own users as a result.

* An OS not prone to viral infections
While in theory no operating system can be 100all worms and viruses,
Linux by is nature is immune enough that the possibilities that such
little beasties exist have become like urban legends in the Linux
community. Even if such infections could target Linux, the
multifaceted code base would in itself limit the spread, if a sysadmin
selects the software to run without regard to distributions and does
not use precompiled binaries, he has just increased the level of
immunity of his systems. The worst an attacking worm could do is crash
a server program, but the worm creator could not actually control
anything with the worm because he could not predict the memory layout
of the program he is attacking on systems so independent from
distributions. That same would generally be true with binaries
supplied from a different distribution or different version than the
one he is targeting.

* An operating system which I can program and hack easily
Anyone can have access to the source code of the Linux kernel and most
if not all the programs they run on Linux. If one is a programmer,
Linux provides all the tools and the source code to add or alter any
feature he pleases. If he wants to write a new program and has
questions, about the operation of the library functions, or the
kernel, he can refer to the documentation, ask for help on-line, or
just read the applicable source code. If he has a device for which he
want to create a driver for, he can write it. If he wants to see how
similar drivers work, there is the Linux kernel source code and the
code of the other drivers available.

* An operating system which doesn't decay over time.
Since the late days of DOS programs and the coming of Window NT and
Windows 95, there has been a pheonoma known as software rot, also
known as bit rot. With late DOS programs it could take an individual
program on a production system out of commission needing to be
reinstalled. Windows 95 and Windows NT elevated the software rot
phenomenon from causing the decay of individual programs to the decay
of the entire operating system. This is not a factor with Linux.

All these items are things that Linux users are not wanting for any
longer, because Linux has given to them what they have been wanting for up
to a decade. So yes, Linux leaves its users wanting less, because it
provides so much more of what they have been hoping for from their prior
operating system.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati

7

Feb 2, 2009, 12:11:02 PM2/2/09
Martin Jay wrote:

> "This Account is Experiencing Technical Difficulties."

What happens to Lenovo staff who cross Micoshaft?

To cross the line with micoshaft, mention Linux
and open source and be done with.

Don't be afraid! It is as simple as that!!!
That is how you cross the line with micoshaft corporation.

This is what happens when you mention Linux and open source.

1. First, your micoshaft rep will turn up to work you over
and will know you have mentioned Linux / Open source.

2. His technology evangelism course has taught him to mark you down
so you will see him furiously writing notes. Hopefully with notepad.exe.
But who cares?

3. He will then plaster your name, your photo and all the things you said on
all the walls of micoshaft like his good little unethical
technology evangelism course has taught him at micoshaft so that
other true micoshaft bum boyees can spit at your image.

The moment your boss/leader sticks up a poster of a person
and point at that picture as your enemy and object of hate, and follow it
up with words of derision, and rant on through frequent meetings and finger
pointing, your company has embraced unethical technology evangelism.

The resources within micoshaft are no longer interested in making
product. It is now more interested in smashing Lenov management faces in
for profit and roping in as many retards as it can find
to join the unethical technology evangelists.

Remember what happened to Del?

4. The truly enraged bum boyees of micoshaft who have no life
of their own will start murmering and grinding their teeth
so that their beloved Pappy, Balmer can become rich.

5. These photos and all the things you said are repeated again and again
in meetings until the micoshaft bum boyees are energetically whipped up into
rage in an anti-trust breaking way.

6. Now the foaming micoshaft bum boyees are truly ready to do ANYTHING
including break the law and attack total strangers because their company
told them to do it.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER DEL AND ITS LINUX ENGINEERS NOW?

All here PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org

7. The fact that these bum boyees are total fsckwits and what they
do in the name of micoshaft agaist other innocent people will not have
sank into them just yet - that will take several years for the guilt
concience to catch up.

[Aside: Installing Ubuntu and compiz like the stuff you can see in
áwww.youtube.comáwithá3Dárotatingátranslucentádesktopámayáhelpásomeáofáthe
áenragedámicoshaftábumáboyeesátoáseeátheáaccomplishmentsáofátheáotheráside
áandámayáhelpáthemácalmádownáandáturnáhumanáatáthisápointáandárefuseáto
áfightáanáopponentáwhoáisáaábetterásoulá-ábutánoáguarantees!]

8. So now the enraged bum boyees will go about trying to satisfy their rage
by doing the following:

a) Call up your company bosses and directors and offer to donate money
áááábutáwalkáawayáatátheálastáminuteáináaámonopolyáanti-trustáway.

b) Call up your board of directors
áááandáofferátoáinvestáagainábutáthisátimeápointáat
ááátheáyour Linuxáand open source speecháandáinsistáthatáyou
áááareáremovedáalongáináaámonopolyáanti-trustáway.

c) Threaten the company bosses and directors with audits
áááandálossáofárebatesáandádiscountsáandáthenábarásales staff fromásales
ááámeetingsáináaámonopolyáanti-trustáway.

d) Threaten the Lenovo techies and support staff
áááwithánoáadmissionátoátrainingáprogrammes
áááináaámonopopyáanti-trustáway.

All because one person in Lenovo mentions Linux and open source with
his right to free speech and this attacked Micoshaft Directly.

How do you defend against unethical technology evangelism?

Good question.

Escort micoshaft retards off the premises citing
PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org

Tell them they can't enter into Lenovo premises until
an NDA has been signed that is very very restrictive
and addresses PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org
and the way the sales staff hold information in their
systems illegally gathered through spying.
They must delete and/or turn over all historical
information on Lenovo staff before micoshaft can
be allowed to enter Lenovo premises.

Talk with the shareholders and let the investors
threaten all the directors to sue any director
that accept micoshaft money to harm Lenovo Linux engineers.

If any Linux engineers and projects have been harmed
by revolving doors that allow micoshaft spies to
enter, do harm and leave, then sack the directors that
allowed this to happen and re-instate all the Linux
projects and engineers. You are loosing a lot of money
and sales unlike your competitors like Ausus and Acer
(that grew market share to double that of Appil last
year through Linux). While they were making profits
the micoshaftees inside Lenovo was trying to sell
laptops at hideously inflated prices to hide the
fact they were acting on orders from micoshfat.

Remember Del did the same - but in reality it was all
a put up job. And they sank their company to the ground.
Like Lenovo is doing now. Del investors sued.
Lenovo investors should sue - there is ample evidence
of same problem in Lenovo as Del.

So Lenovo needs to act swiftly to sack all the micoshaftees
and get some Linux products out the door like Acer
and Ausus and win some market share!!!

Investigative Reporter Web server

Feb 2, 2009, 12:16:46 PM2/2/09
7 wrote:

<snipped>

7, you're two short on the cross posts. What's wrong? You can do 7 of
them can't you? You're slipping, 7.

Sermo Malifer

Feb 2, 2009, 2:14:01 PM2/2/09
7 wrote:
> Martin Jay wrote:
>

>> "This Account is Experiencing Technical Difficulties."
>

> What happens to Lenovo staff who cross Micoshaft?
>
> To cross the line with micoshaft, mention Linux
> and open source and be done with.
>
> Don't be afraid! It is as simple as that!!!
> That is how you cross the line with micoshaft corporation.

How many microscopic miners does microshaft corporation employee?

> This is what happens when you mention Linux and open source.
>
> 1. First, your micoshaft rep will turn up to work you over
> and will know you have mentioned Linux / Open source.

He'll be a mix of the Terminator and Bill Gates.

> 2. His technology evangelism course has taught him to mark you down
> so you will see him furiously writing notes.

Before he starts talking to you?

> Hopefully with notepad.exe.

Because that has a great pen input for people to furiously write notes into?

> But who cares?

You seem to care.

> 3. He will then plaster your name, your photo and all the things you said on
> all the walls of micoshaft like his good little unethical
> technology evangelism course has taught him at micoshaft so that
> other true micoshaft bum boyees can spit at your image.

I am besides myself with dread and abject terror.

> The moment your boss/leader sticks up a poster of a person
> and point at that picture as your enemy and object of hate, and follow it
> up with words of derision, and rant on through frequent meetings and finger
> pointing, your company has embraced unethical technology evangelism.

You mean the way Apple hung up a picture of Micheal Dell with a bullseye
superimposed on it?

> The resources within micoshaft are no longer interested in making
> product.

It's probably hard to find enough microscopic miners to dig all those
microshafts.

> It is now more interested in smashing Lenov management faces in
> for profit and roping in as many retards as it can find
> to join the unethical technology evangelists.

How much spitting at photographs of Lenov (whoever they are) management
is it going to take to make that happen?

> Remember what happened to Del?

No. Who's "Del?"

> 4. The truly enraged bum boyees of micoshaft who have no life
> of their own will start murmering and grinding their teeth
> so that their beloved Pappy, Balmer can become rich.

Murmuring and teeth grinding? Those bastards! How much of that is it
going to take to make their Pappy Balmer rich?

> 5. These photos and all the things you said are repeated again and again
> in meetings until the micoshaft bum boyees are energetically whipped up into
> rage in an anti-trust breaking way.

"HULK ANGRY!"

> 6. Now the foaming micoshaft bum boyees are truly ready to do ANYTHING
> including break the law and attack total strangers because their company
> told them to do it.

"HULK SMASH!"

> DOES ANYONE REMEMBER DEL AND ITS LINUX ENGINEERS NOW?

No! Nobody even knows who the hell "DEL" is... or is that who the HEL...

> All here PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org
>

> 7. The fact that these bum boyees are total fsckwits and what they
> do in the name of micoshaft agaist other innocent people will not have
> sank into them just yet - that will take several years for the guilt
> concience to catch up.

"Why, oh why, didn't I listen to "7" while there was time?!!?"

> [Aside: Installing Ubuntu and compiz like the stuff you can see in

> www.youtube.com with 3D rotating translucent desktop may help some of the
> enraged micoshaft bum boyees to see the accomplishments of the other side
> and may help them calm down and turn human at this point and refuse to
> fight an opponent who is a better soul - but no guarantees!]

"Hulk... calm.... copiz... friend?"

> 8. So now the enraged bum boyees will go about trying to satisfy their rage
> by doing the following:
>
> a) Call up your company bosses and directors and offer to donate money

> but walk away at the last minute in a monopoly anti-trust way.

One needs extreme dexterity to "walk away at the last minute in a
monopoly anti-trust way" seeing how monopoly and anti-trust are opposite
things.

> b) Call up your board of directors

> and offer to invest again but this time point at
> the your Linux and open source speech and insist that you
> are removed along in a monopoly anti-trust way.

How is one "removed along in a monopoly anti-trust way?" Is that even
physically possible?

> c) Threaten the company bosses and directors with audits

> and loss of rebates and discounts and then bar sales staff from sales
> meetings in a monopoly anti-trust way.

Which company bosses, theirs or yours?

> d) Threaten the Lenovo techies and support staff

> with no admission to training programmes
> in a monopopy anti-trust way.

Threating a person in a "monopopy anti-trust way" is going too far!
Even if anybody knew what that meant.

> All because one person in Lenovo mentions Linux and open source with
> his right to free speech and this attacked Micoshaft Directly.

Scores of microscopic miners were buried alive when their microshafts
were collapsed!

> How do you defend against unethical technology evangelism?

With tinfoil hats?

> Good question.
>
> Escort micoshaft retards off the premises citing
> PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org

At gunpoint.

> Tell them they can't enter into Lenovo premises until
> an NDA has been signed that is very very restrictive
> and addresses PX09280.pdf http://www.iowa.gotthefacts.org
> and the way the sales staff hold information in their
> systems illegally gathered through spying.
> They must delete and/or turn over all historical
> information on Lenovo staff before micoshaft can
> be allowed to enter Lenovo premises.

Aren't they going to wonder who you are, and why you kicked them out of
their workplace?

> Talk with the shareholders and let the investors
> threaten all the directors to sue any director
> that accept micoshaft money to harm Lenovo Linux engineers.

"Ring... ring... hello, this is "7" and I'd like to let you threaten to
sue your board of directors..."

> If any Linux engineers and projects have been harmed
> by revolving doors that allow micoshaft spies to
> enter, do harm and leave, then sack the directors that

We're out of burlap sacks... can we paper bag them instead?

> allowed this to happen and re-instate all the Linux
> projects and engineers.

> You are loosing a lot of money

Loose money is better than tight money.

> and sales unlike your competitors like Ausus and Acer
> (that grew market share to double that of Appil last
> year through Linux). While they were making profits
> the micoshaftees inside Lenovo was trying to sell
> laptops at hideously inflated prices to hide the
> fact they were acting on orders from micoshfat.

Now we know why Lenovo computers were cheaper than Macs!

> Remember Del did the same - but in reality it was all
> a put up job. And they sank their company to the ground.
> Like Lenovo is doing now. Del investors sued.
> Lenovo investors should sue - there is ample evidence
> of same problem in Lenovo as Del.

Now Del isn't even a memory.

> So Lenovo needs to act swiftly to sack all the micoshaftees
> and get some Linux products out the door like Acer
> and Ausus and win some market share!!!

I'll bet Lenovo is damn tired of their zero market share!

Roy Schestowitz

Feb 2, 2009, 4:03:25 PM2/2/09

Clogwog

Feb 2, 2009, 3:47:23 PM2/2/09
> Clogwog [snip ad hominem ramblings from this Usenet k00k]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
+ C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
+ Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
+ Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy
+
+ Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team
+
+ PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
+
+ http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola.
This FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.

OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
may find that you have better things you can do instead.

SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
--------------------------

1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
work. That's if the device is even supported.

1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
installation freezes or just stops?
A: You get to reboot and start all over again. This happens
every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
routines or something. Ain't Linux grand?

1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
hard drive space!
A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

(more to come...)

SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
---------------------------

2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
programming, you might as well get used to it.

2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
A: These are command line programs that do things within the
system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

(more to come...)

SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
----------------------------

3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
companies that make software won't write their programs for
Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
early in development.

3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
is that?
A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
what is a makefile?
A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
where you just double click and you are done.

3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

(more to come...)

SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
---------------------------

4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that
is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
working with old technology will give you the old technology
responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
compared to, say, Windows.

(more to come...)

SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
--------------------------

5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some
varying UI stile in Linux.

5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
to another.

(more to come...)

SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
-----------------------------

6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a common
answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
any help.

6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when
using Linux?
A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
takes a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
superior, and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have
time for the pathetic little Windows people.

(more to come...)

SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
if it isn't?
A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the
last windows they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
questions linux?
A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and
reasonable judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your
are a troll or a paid MS supporter.

7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them
or you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy
way out of having to prove themselves, they will <PLONK> you.

(more to come...)
SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
little "over the edge", do a google search on the person
(http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

(more to come...)
PLEASE VISIT:
http://tinyurl.com/ysrz8u
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
--
High (Hoge) Plains (Vlaktes) Thumper (Neuker) is de sufkuttige domme doosje
van ML2MST!

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

Feb 3, 2009, 10:44:18 AM2/3/09
On Jan 31, 12:41 pm, sampurnashresthaopera...@gmail.com wrote:
> www.boycottnovell.comis a site that appears to be infested with

> trojans. The site loads extremely slowly and at times renders Safari
> useless. Since I visted that site my Windows computer has been running
> very slow and experiencing a lot of outbound requests

That's what you get for running Windows.

Onideus Mad Hatter

Feb 3, 2009, 12:45:29 PM2/3/09
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:44:18 -0800 (PST), "nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
<nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>That's what you get for being a retard and running Windows.

I fixed your typos.

Here ya go:
http://www.backwater-productions.net/_images/_Funny/Mac_vs_PC.jpg

Think slow now...*REAAAAL* slow.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm น x น

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"When I listen to people I don't really listen to what it is they're
saying, so much as what they're saying it for."

"Don't ever fuck with someone who has more creativity than you do."

"You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the
best."

"I didn't make reality, Sunshine, I just verbally bitch slapped you
with it."

"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"Usenet Filters - Learn to shut yourself the fuck up!"

"Drugs killed Jesus you know...oh wait, no, that was the Jews, my
bad."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty fucking high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage,
endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you
don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton
tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Tell me, would you describe yourself more as a process or a
function?"

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid.
Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast
indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )

PerfectReign

Feb 3, 2009, 5:29:10 PM2/3/09
Onideus Mad Hatter turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:44:18 -0800 (PST), "nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
> <nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>>That's what you get for being a retard and running Windows.
>
> I fixed your typos.
>
> Here ya go:
> http://www.backwater-productions.net/_images/_Funny/Mac_vs_PC.jpg
>
> Think slow now...*REAAAAL* slow.

You owe me a new laptop keyboard! I was taking a drink when I clicked on
the above...

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/2009/20090203_backwater.jpg

Onideus Mad Hatter

Feb 4, 2009, 8:14:46 AM2/4/09
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:29:10 -0800, PerfectReign
<theperf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Onideus Mad Hatter turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:44:18 -0800 (PST), "nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
>> <nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>That's what you get for being a retard and running Windows.
>>
>> I fixed your typos.
>>
>> Here ya go:
>> http://www.backwater-productions.net/_images/_Funny/Mac_vs_PC.jpg
>>
>> Think slow now...*REAAAAL* slow.
>>

>You owe me a new laptop keyboard! I was taking a drink when I clicked on
>the above...
>
>http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/2009/20090203_backwater.jpg

Yeah I'm having some kind of a wonderful problem with those morons at
Google where they can't figure out the difference between malware and
normal site scripts that track user data. I'm actually giving serious
consideration to suing Google over it, after all, they are technically
slandering my business.

я黨wぃf

Feb 4, 2009, 11:28:29 AM2/4/09
Onideus Mad Hatter <use...@backwater-productions.net> pinched out a
steaming pile of<j25jo41kp86oiik7b...@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:29:10 -0800, PerfectReign
><theperf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Onideus Mad Hatter turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:44:18 -0800 (PST),

>>> I fixed your typos.
>>>
>>> Here ya go:
>>> http://www.backwater-productions.net/_images/_Funny/Mac_vs_PC.jpg
>>>
>>> Think slow now...*REAAAAL* slow.
>>>

>>You owe me a new laptop keyboard! I was taking a drink when I
clicked on
>>the above...
>>
>>http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/2009/20090203_backwater.jpg
>
>Yeah I'm having some kind of a wonderful problem with those morons at
>Google where they can't figure out the difference between malware and
>normal site scripts that track user data. I'm actually giving serious
>consideration to suing Google over it, after all, they are technically
>slandering my business.

Yuor honeypot b07if13d my p0\/\/3r 5upp1y.

:(

--
http://www.bds-palestine.net/?q=node/9
___ ___ ___ ___

PerfectReign

Feb 4, 2009, 11:46:59 AM2/4/09
Onideus Mad Hatter turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

>>You owe me a new laptop keyboard! I was taking a drink when I clicked on
>>the above...
>>
>>http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/2009/20090203_backwater.jpg
>
> Yeah I'm having some kind of a wonderful problem with those morons at
> Google where they can't figure out the difference between malware and
> normal site scripts that track user data. I'm actually giving serious
> consideration to suing Google over it, after all, they are technically
> slandering my business.
>

>http://sites.google.com/site/webmasterhelpforum/en/faq--sitemaps-malware--other-issues/#malware-review

Here - try that.

stermen