PCLinuxOS .93a The Official flatfish+++ review.

flatfish+++

Aug 25, 2006, 10:06:49 PM8/25/06
Based on my email, several of you have been waiting for my review of this
release of PCLinuxOS so here it is.

As most of you know, I am a PCLinuxOS fanatic and maybe I'm a wee bit the
zealot when it comes to this distribution because *FOR ME* and *MY*
requirements, .92 has worked extremely well.

I have not had a single problem in the months that I have been using
PCLinuxOS .92 on 3 different machines with different hardware.

In preparation I Ghosted my Linux drive just in case but I also tried a
new technique to see if it would work.

I backed up my /home folder completely to DVD, after cleaning out the junk.
This, at least in theory, should have my Opera settings, kde, pan, firefox
etc as well as any data I have saved.

Alright so I boot the install CD and when it boots I choose "Install" from
the desktop.

I use existing partitions and choose to re-format them all.

It churns away for a while, I lost track of time because I was doing other
things, but it was not a long time before it came up with the first prompt
which I believe was for Lilo. This found my Windows FAT boot drive as
well, but when I said "Save" it coughed up some oddball error.

No problem, I chose Grub instead and it continued on it's way.
First boot was clean and everything seemed to work.

However trying to boot my Windows partition failed with a Grub 15 hang...

ok, I hit the edit key on the Grub boot screen and noticed that there were
2 entries for my Windows drive.

title windows
root (hd0,0)
map (0x81) (0x80)
map (0x80) (0x81)
makeactive
chainloader +1

If I remove either the first map line OR the second map line Windows boots
fine.

I dunno, but it works.

BTW what happened to /etc/grub.conf?

Man grub says this stuff should be in that file but I found this stuff in
/boot/grub/menu.lst instead?

Anyway bug number one down...

Next problem, I have no sound after a reboot and notice that alsa does not
load.

Going to the PCLinuxOS control panel and looking at services, Alsa is not
started.

Hmmm...I try to start it and sometimes it works other times it does not.

According to chkconfig, alsa should start at runlevel 2:

[root@localhost flatfish]# chkconfig --list alsa
alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

It doesn't start and I don't see any messages in logs or dmesg.
Real weird.

Trying alsaconf and alsactl store makes the sound work until the next boot
where it fails again.

I asked in the PCLinuxOS fora but got no bites.

Doing an lsmod shows all kinds of USB audio stuff loaded?

Hmmmmm...I don't have a USB audio device, but I *DO* have a USB MIDI
interface.

Bottom line, Alsa gets confused if that device is plugged in.
No sweat. Unplug the device and now I have sound.

Ok so now let's put back .opera, .pan, .kmail etc and see what happpens.

I couldn't believe it but everything was there!!

My mail, my bookmarks, all my newsgroups etc just as if I never moved to a
new distribution.

This is VERY IMPRESSIVE to me because it saved me a ton of time.

I'd love to see Windows work like this.
With DLL's spread all over the place I doubt it is even possible.

I went to synaptic and loaded Nvidia, msfonts (not that it needs them,
this thing is GORGEOUS) and a few other oddball stuff I have.

So how about the system now that everything is working?

SPEED,,,SPEED and MORE SPEED.........

I dunno what texstar did to an already fast PCLinuxOS .92, but this thing
hauls!!

For all practical purposes it is just as fast as DSL on this machine,
really!

OpenOffice Writer loads in 5 seconds...That is fast!

The gui is quick, clean and VERY sharp looking.

The fonts are gorgeous, really they are.

And once again, like .92, things just work......

I could go on for pages, but this is yet another fine version of Linux and
despite the grub and alsa problems, it's super clean and ready for prime
time....

Try the LiveCD (same one is used for hdisk install) and see for yourself.

Read here for information (Thanks to Roy) and I agree with this article
completely.

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/9123

flatfish+++

Alan Connor

Aug 25, 2006, 9:35:45 PM8/25/06
On alt.os.linux, in <q8NHg.137$Y43...@newsfe09.lga>, "flatfish+++" wrote:
> From: flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org>

That being but one of this stinking troll's aliases, of course.

http://linuxmail.org

Take the CONTACT link. To get a mailbox there, you just have to
fill out the webform and lie about what operating system and
browser you are using.

Yes, you can have your browser put out any User-Agent string
you want. In order to access certain websites with my textmode,
Linux browser, I have it tell the webserver that I'm running M$
Internet Explorer.

Any newbie on the Internet knows how to do that.

He's a windoze-weenie.

Isn't he cute?

> Subject: PCLinuxOS .93a The Official flatfish+++ review.

Can't imagine who would be interested in the opinions of a
dickless, dipschitt troll who runs windoze.

Nope. He's a windoze-weenie.

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:06:49 -0500

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

Alan

--
If you don't have the integrity to post under a single, unique
alias, without the "X-No-Archive: yes" header, then I probably

Message has been deleted

Linonut

Aug 25, 2006, 9:40:01 PM8/25/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> BTW what happened to /etc/grub.conf?
>
> Man grub says this stuff should be in that file but I found this stuff in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst instead?

grub.conf? Only menu.lst on this Debian box. I think Debian had some
misinformation in its docs, too, but it was easy to overcome.

> Bottom line, Alsa gets confused if that device is plugged in.
> No sweat. Unplug the device and now I have sound.

Sounds like the extra device comes first in the list, when plugged in.
I'm blanking on the method needed to enumerate your hardware to see
what's there.

Maybe if you had plugged a device or speakers into the USB MIDI you
might have heard something <grin>.

> Read here for information (Thanks to Roy) and I agree with this article
> completely.
>
> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/9123

Nice review, man!

--
Windows Vista -- Because you want to use your CPU as a toaster

chrisv

Aug 25, 2006, 9:43:14 PM8/25/06
Alan Connor wrote:

> Yes, you can have your browser put out any User-Agent string
> you want. In order to access certain websites with my textmode,
> Linux browser, I have it tell the webserver that I'm running M$
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Any newbie on the Internet knows how to do that.

Wrong.

JDS

Aug 25, 2006, 9:54:40 PM8/25/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:35:45 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

> Can't imagine who would be interested in the opinions of a
> dickless, dipschitt troll who runs windoze.

You aren't making any sense. He gave a *positive* review. In a Linux
advocacy group, a positive review of a Linux distro != trolling. Did you
even read the post?

In fact, do you ever read any posts? It oft seems like you read *only*
the headers, loon.

--
JDS | jef...@go.away.com
| http://www.newtnotes.com

chrisv

Aug 25, 2006, 10:21:11 PM8/25/06
JDS wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:35:45 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
>
>> Can't imagine who would be interested in the opinions of a
>> dickless, dipschitt troll who runs windoze.
>
> You aren't making any sense. He gave a *positive* review. In a Linux
> advocacy group, a positive review of a Linux distro != trolling.

Idiot newbie. Flathead is a POS liar and troll, who has done the same
thing (act nice for a while, then degrade into pure asshole troll)
REPEATEDLY over the YEARS.

Jeffrey Silverman

Aug 25, 2006, 10:33:42 PM8/25/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:21:11 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Idiot newbie. Flathead is a POS liar and troll, who has done the same
> thing (act nice for a while, then degrade into pure asshole troll)
> REPEATEDLY over the YEARS.

Not a newb, FYI. past actions do not make present post a troll.

Aragorn

Aug 25, 2006, 11:01:09 PM8/25/06
On Saturday 26 August 2006 03:40, Linonut stood up and addressed the masses
in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> BTW what happened to /etc/grub.conf?
>>
>> Man grub says this stuff should be in that file but I found this stuff in
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst instead?
>
> grub.conf? Only menu.lst on this Debian box. I think Debian had some
> misinformation in its docs, too, but it was easy to overcome.

The thing is that according to the FHS, configuration files should always go
into */etc* or one of the *./etc* directories under */usr,* */usr/local* or
*/opt,* depending on the relevance of the configuration file.

According to that very same FHS, everything pertaining to the bootstrap
phase should go into */boot.*

Since GRUB is a bootloader, its configuration file would therefore belong in
*/boot* but since we're talking of a configuration file, it should go into
*/etc* just as well.

It is therefore advisable for those who wish to comply to the FHS to have
the GRUB configuration stored in */boot/menu.lst* - on some distributions,
this is */boot/grub/menu.lst* - and then /symlinked/ to */etc/grub.conf.*

Most distributions however overlook the /symlinking/ part and just choose to
set up either */boot/menu.lst* _or_ */etc/grub.conf.*

The bottom line is that both are correct and apt locations for the GRUB
configuration file. ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

Message has been deleted

chrisv

Aug 25, 2006, 11:57:55 PM8/25/06
Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

Anything written by scum like Flathead is a troll.

flatfish+++

Aug 26, 2006, 1:06:32 AM8/26/06

Yet, people email me all the time.
People ask for my opinions.
I have been quoted in text as well as song.
Posts I write get responses.

So what about you chrisv?
How much interest do your one line posts generate?

You plonk just about everyone which makes me wonder what posts you even
read?

I stand by my reviews because they are real, truthful and as accurate as
my experience with a particular distribution will allow.

I happen to like PCLinuxOS and have for a while now.
I think it's a great distribution that actually works out of the box.

Compare that to Suse 10.1 which is a disaster, and any honest person who
has tried it will tell you the same.

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 12:18:28 AM8/26/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:06:49 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> Based on my email, several of you have been waiting for my review of this

> release of PCLinuxOS so here it is.(snip)

> However trying to boot my Windows partition failed with a Grub 15 hang...

.. but everything just worked...

>(snip)

> Anyway bug number one down...

... but everything just worked..

> Next problem, I have no sound after a reboot and notice that alsa does not
> load.

... but everything just worked..

(snip)

> Ok so now let's put back .opera, .pan, .kmail etc and see what happpens.
>
> I couldn't believe it but everything was there!!

No duh. Many people backup /home and find everything there when
restored.

> My mail, my bookmarks, all my newsgroups etc just as if I never moved to a
> new distribution.
>
> This is VERY IMPRESSIVE to me because it saved me a ton of time.

Yeah... that's how it works.

(snip)

> I went to synaptic and loaded Nvidia, msfonts (not that it needs them,
> this thing is GORGEOUS) and a few other oddball stuff I have.

If everything just worked, why did you have to use Synaptic to load the
nVidia driver, and why do you diss Suse because you use Yast to install
the nVidia driver?

(snip)

> I could go on for pages, but this is yet another fine version of Linux and
> despite the grub and alsa problems, it's super clean and ready for prime
> time....

I see.. you dismiss problems in the distro you like...

(snip)
--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Hadron Quark

Aug 26, 2006, 4:24:54 AM8/26/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> writes:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:57:55 -0500, chrisv wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

>>> Not a newb, FYI. past actions do not make present post a troll.
>>
>> Anything written by scum like Flathead is a troll.
>
> Yet, people email me all the time.
> People ask for my opinions.
> I have been quoted in text as well as song.
> Posts I write get responses.
>
> So what about you chrisv?
> How much interest do your one line posts generate?

About zero.

> You plonk just about everyone which makes me wonder what posts you even
> read?

He's also a complete raving loon who sees "Wintrolls" under his bed at night.

> I stand by my reviews because they are real, truthful and as accurate as
> my experience with a particular distribution will allow.

None of those things would appear to have a place here if one were to
allow chrisv, nessuno, mark et al to have their way.

> I happen to like PCLinuxOS and have for a while now.
> I think it's a great distribution that actually works out of the box.
>
> Compare that to Suse 10.1 which is a disaster, and any honest person who
> has tried it will tell you the same.

It is the word on the street.

Hadron Quark

Aug 26, 2006, 4:38:36 AM8/26/06
flatfish+++ <flat...@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Then somebody should fix the doc.
>
> I've never seen a more screwed up site than the grub site, excpet maybe
> for the linuxprinting.org or alsa sites.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-legacy.en.html
>

> Grub/grub2/grub.conf etc....
> A total mess.

Just to confirm : ubuntu is /boot/grub/menu.lst which makes sense.

No /etc file at all from what I can see.

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 7:26:25 AM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:06:32 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:57:55 -0500, chrisv wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

>>> Not a newb, FYI. past actions do not make present post a troll.
>>
>> Anything written by scum like Flathead is a troll.
>
> Yet, people email me all the time.
> People ask for my opinions.
> I have been quoted in text as well as song. Posts I write get responses.
>
> So what about you chrisv?
> How much interest do your one line posts generate?
>
> You plonk just about everyone which makes me wonder what posts you even
> read?
>
> I stand by my reviews because they are real, truthful and as accurate as
> my experience with a particular distribution will allow.
>
> I happen to like PCLinuxOS and have for a while now. I think it's a great
> distribution that actually works out of the box.

... except for grub...
... except for alsa ...
... except for nVidia drivers not being installed out of the box...

> Compare that to Suse 10.1 which is a disaster, and any honest person who
> has tried it will tell you the same.

Every distro has problems. Smes distr version are better than others .
Ok.. so Suse 10.1 has/had problems. Big deal. Apparently so does the new
version of your precious PCLinuxOS.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 10:43:56 AM8/26/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

> As most of you know, I am a PCLinuxOS fanatic and maybe I'm a wee bit the
> zealot when it comes to this distribution because *FOR ME* and *MY*
> requirements, .92 has worked extremely well.

My very same thoughts.

> It churns away for a while, I lost track of time because I was doing other
> things, but it was not a long time before it came up with the first prompt
> which I believe was for Lilo. This found my Windows FAT boot drive as
> well, but when I said "Save" it coughed up some oddball error.

<snip>

> Anyway bug number one down...

I chose Grub from the beginning, and didn't have any errors at all. I like
Grub better, but PCLinuxOS could use a better implementation of it. Debian
and derivatives have the best Grub there is. Texstar is looking to make
Grub default and possibly expand it in the next release.

> Next problem, I have no sound after a reboot and notice that alsa does not
> load.
>
> Going to the PCLinuxOS control panel and looking at services, Alsa is not
> started.
>
> Hmmm...I try to start it and sometimes it works other times it does not.
>
> According to chkconfig, alsa should start at runlevel 2:
>
> [root@localhost flatfish]# chkconfig --list alsa
> alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
>

> It doesn't start and I don't see any messages in logs or dmesg.
> Real weird.
>

> Trying alsaconf and alsactl store makes the sound work until the next boot
> where it fails again.
>
> I asked in the PCLinuxOS fora but got no bites.

What nick to you use in the forum? I've seen a thread about this, where
someone just ran alsaconf and fixed it, but I don't think it was you.

> I'd love to see Windows work like this.
> With DLL's spread all over the place I doubt it is even possible.

I'd love to see Windows do away with the registry and use inf files again.
Using the files in Linux just make life so much easier. You're confused as
a newbie, but once you catch on, you can do a lot of stuff in the files. Of
course, even as a non-newbie in Windows, you still can't make heads or
tails of the registry.

> I went to synaptic and loaded Nvidia, msfonts (not that it needs them,
> this thing is GORGEOUS) and a few other oddball stuff I have.

I didn't like seeing that they now make you download the non-free stuff. I
don't like the push from the zealots to exclude non-free stuff from
distributions. I think most users want everything working out of the box,
much the same way as when they plug in their preloaded Windows computers.
At least it's two packages: either 'dkms-nvidia' or 'dkms-ati' and
'multimedia pack'. Voila... Everything that doesn't have a FOSS alternative
that actually works well is loaded.

> So how about the system now that everything is working?
>
> SPEED,,,SPEED and MORE SPEED.........

You ain't joking! I had a K7 kernel in Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Debian and it
still wasn't as fast as PCLinuxOS is with the default kernel - not by a
long shot. Before I put PCLinuxOS .93a on my system, I hosed my .92
installation so I thought it was a good time to try the latest Suse. I
always liked Suse in the past, mostly because it has a polished look and
feel to it in so many ways. When I got it working (very buggy!), it was
just horribly slow!!! I'd click on the Kmenu and there would be a pause
about a second in length before the menu actually opened! WTF? Off it went,
and .93a Jr. was going on. I'm never looking at another distro until
Texstar and Co. screw this one up, if they ever do.

> I dunno what texstar did to an already fast PCLinuxOS .92, but this thing
> hauls!!

You'd think the other distros would do similar things, but why don't they?

As an additional note, it's not helping Linux at all when major Linux
vendors such as Novell release buggy distros such as Suse Linux 10.1. If we
want to see Linux advance, this stuff has to quit. The bugs are just too
obvious and should have been fixed before release.

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 10:46:08 AM8/26/06
I don't care what flatfish++ has done in the past, he's just given Linux
advocates a high praise of a popular distro (the very same one I use) and
you're calling him names? He's helped your cause, yet you just insult him
and tell people not to pay attention to him? Get a life...
Message has been deleted

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 10:49:03 AM8/26/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

>> The bottom line is that both are correct and apt locations for the GRUB
>> configuration file. ;-)
>

> Then somebody should fix the doc.
>
> I've never seen a more screwed up site than the grub site, excpet maybe
> for the linuxprinting.org or alsa sites.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-legacy.en.html
>

> Grub/grub2/grub.conf etc....
> A total mess.

I just wish there was some consistency across distros on stuff like this.

flatfish+++

Aug 26, 2006, 12:08:53 PM8/26/06

Thanks Ruel!

Rick gets a little testy when I criticize Suse 10.1 and while I don't
agree with the troll messages about it sucking, it does have some serious
issues.
I've used Suse, off and on, since 4.x days and was happily using 10.0
until Rapskat turned me on to PCLinuxOS.

I haven't looked back since except to try 10.1 and it just didn't work
correctly.

Message has been deleted

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 11:37:31 AM8/26/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

>> As an additional note, it's not helping Linux at all when major Linux
>> vendors such as Novell release buggy distros such as Suse Linux 10.1. If
>> we want to see Linux advance, this stuff has to quit. The bugs are just
>> too obvious and should have been fixed before release.
>

> I agree.
> Suse/Novell have always been pretty good about that. I don't know what
> went wrong this time?
> Maybe too many new toys (zen) and not enough testing?

I suspect releasing on a specific interval and wanting to live up to all the
hype they had surrounding the new release. You're right, in the past, Suse
was an excellent distro. I left Mandrake for Suse years ago and thought it
was waaaay more polished and bug free than Mandy.

I like Texstar philosophy: it gets released when he's ready to release it!

Message has been deleted

GreyCloud

Aug 26, 2006, 1:01:32 PM8/26/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

Suse does have problems on my machine. (10.0)
What requirements for hardware does PCLinuxOS needs?
The review looked pretty good.

--
Where are we going?
And why am I in this handbasket?

chrisv

Aug 26, 2006, 1:11:55 PM8/26/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

>> I stand by my reviews because they are real, truthful and as accurate
>> as my experience with a particular distribution will allow.
>
> None of those things would appear to have a place here if one were to
> allow chrisv, nessuno, mark et al to have their way.

Think so, do 'ya?

Why don't you ask your hero Flatfish how many different 'nyms he's s/h/it
has used over the years to troll in here? THAT'S the hallmark of a
worthless troll who's word means nothing.

Message has been deleted

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 26, 2006, 2:53:52 PM8/26/06
flatfish+++ hitched up their overalls,

shotgunned a beer and wrote:

> I could go on for pages, but this is yet another fine version of Linux and
> despite the grub and alsa problems, it's super clean and ready for prime
> time....

I've tinkered with a few other distros since discovering PCLOS, but nothing
else for desktop use can hold a candle to what Texstar has done. And that
reminds me it's time to donate to the cause again.
--
Regards,
[tv]

...Booze is the answer. I don't remember the question

DFS

Aug 26, 2006, 3:18:34 PM8/26/06
Tattoo Vampire wrote:
> flatfish+++ hitched up their overalls,
> shotgunned a beer and wrote:
>
>> I could go on for pages, but this is yet another fine version of
>> Linux and despite the grub and alsa problems, it's super clean and
>> ready for prime time....
>
> I've tinkered with a few other distros since discovering PCLOS, but
> nothing else for desktop use can hold a candle to what Texstar has
> done. And that reminds me it's time to donate to the cause again.

How much do you donate? How often?

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 3:24:42 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:46:42 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:26:25 +0000, Rick wrote:
>

>>> I happen to like PCLinuxOS and have for a while now. I think it's a
>>> great distribution that actually works out of the box.
>>
>> ... except for grub...
>> ... except for alsa ...
>> ... except for nVidia drivers not being installed out of the box...
>

> With the exception of Nvidia which is a commercial thing and one update
> away, that was on my box.
>
> The grub thing happened on my big system with 7 drives, all a mixture of
> NTFS/FAT and EXT3.
> I think it was a fluke because I just installed on two other machines in
> the house and it worked fine.
>
> There does seem to be a fir number of boot questions on the PCLinuxOS fora
> though so maybe there is a problem? I don't know.
>
> The alsa thing is weird. It appears to misidentify a USB MIDI interface as
> an Audio interface.
> So that's a bug.
>
> The other two machines ALSA worked fine on.

>>> Compare that to Suse 10.1 which is a disaster, and any honest person
>>> who has tried it will tell you the same.
>>
>> Every distro has problems. Smes distr version are better than others .
>> Ok.. so Suse 10.1 has/had problems. Big deal. Apparently so does the new
>> version of your precious PCLinuxOS.
>

> Suse 10.1 has MAJOR problems.
> Go look for yourself at how many regulars in the alt.os.linux.suse group
> went back to 10.0 or decided not to upgrade. With the zen thing and other
> major changes, Suse bit off too much and it was not tested long enough.

... and yet you said the PCLinuxOS update worked out of the box....
except for ....

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 3:28:15 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:08:53 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:46:08 +0000, Ruel Smith wrote:
>
>> I don't care what flatfish++ has done in the past, he's just given Linux
>> advocates a high praise of a popular distro (the very same one I use)
>> and you're calling him names? He's helped your cause, yet you just
>> insult him and tell people not to pay attention to him? Get a life...
>
> Thanks Ruel!
>
> Rick gets a little testy when I criticize Suse 10.1

No, I don't. I get 'testy' when you judge one distro buy on set of rules
and another distro by different rules.

> and while I don't
> agree with the troll messages about it sucking, it does have some serious
> issues.

Yes, it does/did. Have no sound, like your precious PCLinuxOS is a fairly
major problem, to.

> I've used Suse, off and on, since 4.x days and was happily using 10.0
> until Rapskat turned me on to PCLinuxOS.
>
> I haven't looked back since except to try 10.1 and it just didn't work
> correctly.

... and neither did your precious PCLinuxOS. Every distro has bumps in the
road.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Message has been deleted

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 26, 2006, 4:27:48 PM8/26/06
DFS hitched up their overalls,

shotgunned a beer and wrote:

> How much do you donate? How often?

None of your business, friend.
--
Regards,
[tv]

...666B: Apartment of the Beast

Alan Connor

Aug 26, 2006, 5:03:27 PM8/26/06
On alt.os.linux, in <Rq1Ig.636$ee4...@newsfe10.lga>, "flatfish+++" wrote:

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I don't care what
you think or post. Nor does anyone who can do anything but
fart on the Usenet for someone other than me to smell.

I don't even download your articles. Nor any responses to them,
regardless of which alias you are hiding behind at the moment.

I don't have to: You have a threat rating that is well below zero
and I don't want to because you are obviously an obnoxious and
ignorant punk.

One of these days you'll pull your head out of your fat ass
and notice that nothing you do has any effect on me at all.

That's the fate of dishonest cowards: Impotence.

Alan

--
If you don't have the integrity to post under a single, unique
alias, without the "X-No-Archive: yes" header, then I probably
won't download your articles nor any responses to them. Yes, I
can tell. See my headers for personal info.

DFS

Aug 26, 2006, 5:42:55 PM8/26/06
Tattoo Vampire wrote:
> DFS hitched up their overalls,
> shotgunned a beer and wrote:
>
>> How much do you donate? How often?
>
> None of your business, friend.

You made it my business, guy; you blabbed you were about to "donate to the
cause again."

So, how much do you donate? How often?

So what if it's not much. $5 is better than the nothing that most Linux
users donate. I've only donated $20 to Mozilla, but I have purchased
several box sets and a bunch of Linux mags and some books. If I ever find a
good reason to use Linux a lot I plan on donating hundreds to KDE and one or
two distro vendors.

I think Linux/OSS would be much further along if some of these developers
could make a good living doing what they do well. It's too much to work a
full-time job to pay the bills, then develop, say Gambas, at night. The
software project suffers.

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 5:48:18 PM8/26/06
DFS wrote:

> How much do you donate? How often?

Maybe he won't tell you, but I will. I gave $100 to join the Mandriva Club
in December, mostly as a donation because I can get just about everything
they have on the club for free elsewhere. Then, I discovered PCLinuxOS and
donated $40, so far, this year to them. I'm sending another $40 very soon,
as I think they're the cat's ass when it comes to home desktop Linux
distros. I'll probably send at least $100 total in the 2006 calendar year
to PCLinuxOS when it's all over and done. Before that, I was mostly a Suse
user for a long time, with some exception when I distro hopped, and
Mandrake user before that, and a Red Hat user before that - all retail,
store-bought distros.

With the exception of the distros I've hopped around trying (Ubuntu, Mepis,
RR4-Sabayon, and mostly Kubuntu), and Debian which was a PITA to donate to
through some 3rd party, I have either bought a retail version of my bread
and butter Linux distro, joined the Mandriva Club in its case, or sent in a
donation. Never once was I ever a freeloader, except only to try a distro
for awhile. If I sat on the same distro for awhile, I made sure money went
their way.

Not only that, but I'm a regular contributor to the PCLinuxOS community
forum, and was a regular contributor in the Mandriva Club forum,
alt.os.linux.suse, and alt.os.linux.mandrake newsgroups. I have done more
than my share to give back to the Linux community in more ways than one,
and I've been proud to do so voluntarily ever since I could figure my way
around Linux.

If Microsoft worked on a similar business model, I wouldn't send them a
single penny for the crap they produce.

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 6:07:28 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:38:48 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:24:42 +0000, Rick wrote:
>

>> ... and yet you said the PCLinuxOS update worked out of the box....
>> except for ....
>

> So?
>
> Look Rick, I tell it like it is both the good and the bad.

Uh, no.. you don't.

> FWIW I did a second install, on the same machine that screwed up alsa and
> Grub (no boot Windows partition due to an error in the config file) and
> this time I left the USB MIDI interface out and this time I chose grub
> from the start instead of lilo, which was default and failed, and now it
> installed perfectly.
>
> So there ya go, it works PERFECTLY out of the box.

... this time... and you changed the way you installed the OS.

> Sorry if you can't handle the fact that Suse 10.1 has all kinds of
> problems.

And statements like that is why people have correctly nailed you as being
dishnest.

> I may uncover problems with PCLinuxOS, who knows but I do know that Suse
> 10.1 was slow and terribly buggy.

... and PCLinuxOS didn't work perfectly out of the box.

> Why not try PCLinuxOS .93a and experiencea serious increase in speed over
> bloated and buggy Suse 10.1?

I did try PCLinuxOS, as I have said before. ANd, as I have said before, I
returned to Suse 9.3. I have never tried Suse 10.x.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Sam

Aug 26, 2006, 6:14:40 PM8/26/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On alt.os.linux, in <Rq1Ig.636$ee4...@newsfe10.lga>, "flatfish+++" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I was dropped on my head
> as a child.

I think he figured it out on his own.

> I don't even try to make a meaningful post. I just rant and rave
> like a deranged maniac.

Don't ever change, kid.

> I don't have to make sense: I am just a Usenet Beavis, the King Of
> Kookfarts, and an obnoxious and ignorant punk.

All Hail Beavis!

> One of these days I'll pull your head out of my fat ass
> and notice that nothing I do has any effect on anyone at all.

I dread that way, when it comes. It would mean end of free entertainment.

> That's the fate of dishonest cowards: Impotence.

Try Viagra, Beavis.

> Beavis
>
> --
> If you keep ignoring my kookfarts, and point your fingers at me
> and laugh, then I'll just continue to have a conniption fit until
> I'm the Usenet's biggest laughing stock.

Message has been deleted

DFS

Aug 26, 2006, 6:58:41 PM8/26/06
Ruel Smith wrote:
> DFS wrote:
>
>> How much do you donate? How often?
>
> Maybe he won't tell you, but I will. I gave $100 to join the Mandriva
> Club in December, mostly as a donation because I can get just about
> everything they have on the club for free elsewhere. Then, I
> discovered PCLinuxOS and donated $40, so far, this year to them. I'm
> sending another $40 very soon, as I think they're the cat's ass when
> it comes to home desktop Linux distros. I'll probably send at least
> $100 total in the 2006 calendar year to PCLinuxOS when it's all over
> and done. Before that, I was mostly a Suse user for a long time, with
> some exception when I distro hopped, and Mandrake user before that,
> and a Red Hat user before that - all retail, store-bought distros.
>
> With the exception of the distros I've hopped around trying (Ubuntu,
> Mepis, RR4-Sabayon, and mostly Kubuntu), and Debian which was a PITA
> to donate to through some 3rd party, I have either bought a retail
> version of my bread and butter Linux distro, joined the Mandriva Club
> in its case, or sent in a donation. Never once was I ever a
> freeloader, except only to try a distro for awhile. If I sat on the
> same distro for awhile, I made sure money went their way.

I'm in sort of a quandary. I have a few clients currently running 10 or so
of my VB/Access/Oracle/SQL Server apps. Maintenance, support and
enhancements keeps me busy nearly full-time. And I can't just drop them and
leave MS\Windows, even though it would be nice to do some other kind of
development - and maybe use Linux exclusively - for a while.

> Not only that, but I'm a regular contributor to the PCLinuxOS
> community forum, and was a regular contributor in the Mandriva Club
> forum, alt.os.linux.suse, and alt.os.linux.mandrake newsgroups. I
> have done more than my share to give back to the Linux community in
> more ways than one, and I've been proud to do so voluntarily ever
> since I could figure my way around Linux.

Thanks for the answer. Answering tech questions on forums is nice
volunteering - they're a great resource.

> If Microsoft worked on a similar business model, I wouldn't send them
> a single penny for the crap they produce.

You're out of your biased mind. MS Office itself is easily worth hundreds;
it's mind-blowingly good software. I've spent about $1000 on MS Office
through the years (going back to like 1994). Worth every penny, and more.
SQL Server is also great software. So is MS Money. Most software MS
produces is great.

In my opinion, the best closed-source apps are far and away better than the
best open source apps.

Alan Connor

Aug 26, 2006, 7:04:39 PM8/26/06
On alt.os.linux, in <pan.2006.08.26...@trollfeed.com>, "Rick" wrote:

[Alan Connor ] --->

[JDS ]
[chrisv ]
[Jeffrey Silv]
[chrisv ]
[flatfish+++ ]
[Rick ]
[flatfish+++ ]
[Rick ]
[flatfish+++ ]
[Rick ]

You sure know how to run your punk mouth.

Too bad no one reads your schitt but your fellow dimwit trolls
and your own sockpuppets. And none of you are even capable of
being a threat to _yourselves_.

Alan

--
If you replied to an article of mine and are wondering
why I didn't respond to you, see:

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 7:05:28 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:04:39 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

... nothing but drivel.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 7:09:20 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:36:57 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:07:28 +0000, Rick wrote:
>

>>> Sorry if you can't handle the fact that Suse 10.1 has all kinds of
>>> problems.
>

>> And statements like that is why people have correctly nailed you as
>> being dishnest.
>

> Yea.
> People who can't handle the truth.

You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the behind.

>>> I may uncover problems with PCLinuxOS, who knows but I do know that
>>> Suse 10.1 was slow and terribly buggy.
>>
>> ... and PCLinuxOS didn't work perfectly out of the box.
>

> Sure it did.

... except for LILO, Grub, alsa and who know what else.

> It was Windows that didn't work :)

>>> Why not try PCLinuxOS .93a and experiencea serious increase in speed
>>> over bloated and buggy Suse 10.1?
>>
>> I did try PCLinuxOS, as I have said before. ANd, as I have said before,
>> I returned to Suse 9.3. I have never tried Suse 10.x.
>

> Ahh so you go on harping and complaining that I criticize Suse 10.1 and
> you have never even used?

Are you slow? I have repeatedly said I use and returned to 9.3. And I
have repeatedly called you on your claims that PCLinuxOS workes perfectly
out of the box, and I have acknowledged that 10.1 has had its problems.

> Like I've said before, some people simply cannot accept the fact that
> Linux does have problems, and Suse 10.1 is a prime example.

I have acknowledged that 10.1 has had its problems.

> Looks like you, Rick, are one of those.

No, it looks like you are blind.

> Come back when you have tried 10.1 and can intelligently discuss what is
> right and what is wrong with Suse 10.1.

I really don't care what is or isn't right or wrong with 10.1

> Until that point, there is no
> reason to even discuss this matter anymore because you are defending, like
> a zealot, something you have never even used!!

You are a liar. I am calling you on your lies that PCLinuxOS runs
perfectly out of the box, which your own example proved your lies.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Message has been deleted

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 7:39:42 PM8/26/06
DFS wrote:

> I'm in sort of a quandary. I have a few clients currently running 10 or
> so
> of my VB/Access/Oracle/SQL Server apps. Maintenance, support and
> enhancements keeps me busy nearly full-time. And I can't just drop them
> and leave MS\Windows, even though it would be nice to do some other kind
> of development - and maybe use Linux exclusively - for a while.

Unlike many in here, I'm not an advocate for everyone to leave Windows
behind. Hell, I'd like to keep Linux in somewhat obscurity to keep it safe.
Anyway, I completely understand, and if Windows is something you need or
works for you, then fine.

>> If Microsoft worked on a similar business model, I wouldn't send them
>> a single penny for the crap they produce.
>
> You're out of your biased mind. MS Office itself is easily worth
> hundreds;
> it's mind-blowingly good software. I've spent about $1000 on MS Office
> through the years (going back to like 1994). Worth every penny, and more.
> SQL Server is also great software. So is MS Money. Most software MS
> produces is great.

When compared to OpenOffice.org, even though feature to feature Office wins,
OpenOffice is so good that MSOffice looks awfully expensive in comparison.
I absolutely hate the proprietary nature of Microsoft's products, too. I
wouldn't give them 1 cent.

> In my opinion, the best closed-source apps are far and away better than
> the best open source apps.

I'd agree with that. I've never advocated that open source apps have
surpassed closed source apps in polish and features. I routinely use Nero,
Photoshop, SureThing CD Labler Deluxe, and a few other specialized apps for
my cell phone and mp3 player. I hope that changes in the future. However,
apps like Firefox and Thunderbird, as well as OpenOffice.org are absolutely
great apps. Many FOSS that comes with most Linux distros do the job just
fine, as well. However, the OS itself, I think Linux beats the pants off of
WindowsXP. We'll see about Vista when it finally comes out.

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 8:02:07 PM8/26/06
GreyCloud wrote:

> Suse does have problems on my machine. (10.0)
> What requirements for hardware does PCLinuxOS needs?
> The review looked pretty good.

I'm with Flatfish on this. Give it a try. I'm a sworn believer in PCLinuxOS.
Texstar used a Mandrake core and built everything up from there, so it's a
fork of Mandrake, only not really. It uses the Mandrake Control Center,
renamed PCLinuxOS Control Center and modified, and Synaptic/Apt for package
management. It's unbelievably fast and responsive. I was in absolute shock
when I first installed it, and that's under KDE! I expect something like
Puppy Linux to run fast, but a KDE based distro? When going from Suse to
PCLinuxOS, you'll think you upgraded all of your hardware. It's that much
faster.

Best of all, PCLinuxOS keeps it simple. Everything is tailor made to make
your life easier, but not hold your hand in the process. For instance:
there is no update, universe, multiverse, etc. in the repositories to setup
or activate. It's all ready to go for you, and simple to figure out.
There's little need for 3rd party repositories, even though there are 2
that I know of. If you want something not in the repositories, just request
it with a link to the app's home page. Unless it's a problem to get it to
work or something (due to requirements beyone Texstar's control), Texstar
will package it and put it on the repositories.

www.pclinuxos.com

Once you install .93a Big Daddy, download either the ATi or nVidia drivers
(dkms-ati or dkms-nvidia) and 'multimedia pack' and you're on your way with
encrypted DVD playback and everything.

Ruel Smith

Aug 26, 2006, 8:05:37 PM8/26/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

> Next problem, I have no sound after a reboot and notice that alsa does not
> load.
>
> Going to the PCLinuxOS control panel and looking at services, Alsa is not
> started.
>
> Hmmm...I try to start it and sometimes it works other times it does not.
>
> According to chkconfig, alsa should start at runlevel 2:
>
> [root@localhost flatfish]# chkconfig --list alsa
> alsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>

> It doesn't start and I don't see any messages in logs or dmesg.
> Real weird.
>

> Trying alsaconf and alsactl store makes the sound work until the next boot
> where it fails again.
>
> I asked in the PCLinuxOS fora but got no bites.
>

> Doing an lsmod shows all kinds of USB audio stuff loaded?
>
> Hmmmmm...I don't have a USB audio device, but I DO have a USB MIDI
> interface.
>
> Bottom line, Alsa gets confused if that device is plugged in.
> No sweat. Unplug the device and now I have sound.

Okay, I found this article in the PCLinuxOS forum, and it sounds as if it's
the fix for your sound problem (modifying the entries to your hardware, of
course):

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=9334.0;topicseen

Apparently, you need to order your sound devices in modprobe.conf to make
the sound card first (index=0).

Sam

Aug 26, 2006, 8:52:32 PM8/26/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On alt.os.linux, in <pan.2006.08.26...@trollfeed.com>, "Rick" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> ________________
> .:\:/:. | I did not read |
> +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:. | this post! |
> | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\:\:/:/:.: |________________|
> | FEED THE BEAVIS | :=.' - - '.=: /
> | | '=(\ 9 9 /)=' /
> | Thank you, | ( (_) ) _/
> | Management | /`-vvv-'\
> +-------------------+ / \
> | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
> | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
> @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
> \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
> \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
>
> I sure know how to run my punk mouth.

Sorry to break you bubble, Beavis, but you can't even hold a candle to the
net.kooks of yesteryear.

> Too bad no one reads my schitt but my fellow dimwit Beavises
> and my own sockpuppets.

First of all, I only see one Beavis, around here. Secondly, you're too
stupid to know how to create a convincing sock puppets. All you're hearing,
Beavis, are the voices in your head.

> And none of you are even capable of

> smacking my bitch up.

Wrong, Beavis. Your bitch has been smacked up so hard, that it's now trying
to have a gender reassignment surgery.

> Beavis
>
> --
> If you pointed your finger at me and laughed, and wondered why
> I'm such a Beavis, see http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/

flatfish+++

Aug 26, 2006, 10:10:08 PM8/26/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:05:37 +0000, Ruel Smith wrote:

> Okay, I found this article in the PCLinuxOS forum, and it sounds as if it's
> the fix for your sound problem (modifying the entries to your hardware, of
> course):
>
> http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=9334.0;topicseen
>
> Apparently, you need to order your sound devices in modprobe.conf to make
> the sound card first (index=0).

Bingo!!!
That's the fix.
At first I wondered why I didn't have this problem with .92 but then I
remembered that I installed that interface AFTER I had already installed
PCLinuxOS.

Thanks for the fix...
All is working fine now...

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 9:12:52 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:27:04 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:09:20 +0000, Rick wrote:
>

>> Are you slow? I have repeatedly said I use and returned to 9.3. And I
>> have repeatedly called you on your claims that PCLinuxOS workes
>> perfectly out of the box, and I have acknowledged that 10.1 has had its
>> problems.
>

> So then why do you have a problem when I claim Suse 10.1 has problems? Do
> you work for Novell/Suse?

And AGAIN, you show your dishonesty. I have no problem with people
pointing out problems with software. I do have problems with you dissing
Suse, and then claiming PCLinuxOS works perfetly out of the box.

>> I have acknowledged that 10.1 has had its problems.
>

> Coulda fooled me.
> You go ballistic when anyone mentions it.

You're a liar.

>>> Looks like you, Rick, are one of those.
>>
>> No, it looks like you are blind.
>

> Hardly.
> I used and dumped 10.1 real fast.

I used PCLinuxOS and dumped it. So what?

>>> Come back when you have tried 10.1 and can intelligently discuss what
>>> is right and what is wrong with Suse 10.1.
>>
>> I really don't care what is or isn't right or wrong with 10.1
>

> Sure you don't.

Why should I care? I don't use it.

>>> Until that point, there is no
>>> reason to even discuss this matter anymore because you are defending,
>>> like a zealot, something you have never even used!!
>>
>> You are a liar. I am calling you on your lies that PCLinuxOS runs
>> perfectly out of the box, which your own example proved your lies.
>

> Let's see: One very oddly configured system where PCLinuxOS goofed up the
> boot parameters for WINDOWS and had some trouble with a professional USB
> MIDI interface, that most Linux people never heard of. Oh yea, and it also
> installed on two (now three) other systems perfectly.
>
> Yea I would say that it runs perfectly out of the box....

I am not surprised.

> You're playing semantics because you can't come up with anything else.

No, I am not playing semantics.

> Hey, stick with Suse 9.3 if you wish, I don't care. If it works for you
> fine....
> Better not stay too long though because Suse/Novell have a nasty habit of
> dumping support for *older* versions of Linux.

Yes? So?

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Message has been deleted

flatfish+++

Aug 26, 2006, 10:22:20 PM8/26/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:12:52 +0000, Rick wrote:

> And AGAIN, you show your dishonesty. I have no problem with people
> pointing out problems with software. I do have problems with you dissing
> Suse, and then claiming PCLinuxOS works perfetly out of the box.

It did......
Two out of three systems worked fine.
The third system worked fine, fully, after a few minor tweaks.
So?

> You're a liar.

You keep saying that.

> I used PCLinuxOS and dumped it. So what?

I don't care....
Do you see me making a stink over it?

> Why should I care? I don't use it.

You sure seem to have a lot to say about an OS version you don't even use.
I made no mention of 9.3.

If 10.1 is so great, why are you using 9.3??

> I am not surprised.

Good.

> No, I am not playing semantics.

Yea you are.

> Yes? So?

Sew buttons for all I care.

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 10:00:53 PM8/26/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:22:20 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:12:52 +0000, Rick wrote:
>

>> And AGAIN, you show your dishonesty. I have no problem with people
>> pointing out problems with software. I do have problems with you dissing
>> Suse, and then claiming PCLinuxOS works perfetly out of the box.
>
> It did......

No, it worked after tweaks, and you still had to manually install nVidia
drivers, and you have dissed Suse for having to do the same thing.

> Two out of three systems worked fine. The third system worked fine, fully,
> after a few minor tweaks. So?

2 out of three is not works perfectly out of the box. The third one
working after tweaking is not working out of the box perfectly.

>> You're a liar.
>
> You keep saying that.

... because it is true.>

>> I used PCLinuxOS and dumped it. So what?
>
> I don't care....
> Do you see me making a stink over it?
>

>> Why should I care? I don't use it.
>
> You sure seem to have a lot to say about an OS version you don't even use.
> I made no mention of 9.3.

I have made no mention of 10.1. I HAVE mentioned Suse and 9.3.

> If 10.1 is so great, why are you using 9.3??

What makes you think that I think 10.1 is so great?>

>> I am not surprised.
>
> Good.
>
>> No, I am not playing semantics.
>
> Yea you are.

No, I'm not.

>> Yes? So?
>
> Sew buttons for all I care.

Pound salt for all I care.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Rick

Aug 26, 2006, 10:01:59 PM8/26/06

All is working fine ... now... after the tweaks. So much for perfect out
of the box.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 26, 2006, 10:15:22 PM8/26/06
shotgunned a beer and wrote:

> You made it my business, guy; you blabbed you were about to "donate to the
> cause again."

That doesn't make the amount I donate any of your business. You can fuck off
now, btw.
--
Regards,
[tv]

...Love: two vowels, two consonants, two fools.

Message has been deleted

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 3:41:19 AM8/27/06
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:25:33 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:00:53 +0000, Rick wrote:
>

>> I have made no mention of 10.1. I HAVE mentioned Suse and 9.3.
>

> But yet in another message you say you have and that I didn't read it
> correctly.
> So which one is it?

Learn to read.

>> Pound salt for all I care.
>

> good. Thread done.

Because YOU said so. Uh, no.

> You use what you like and I will do likewise.

I have no problem with that. But that is not what this sub-thread is about.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 8:48:42 AM8/27/06
On 2006-08-27, Rick <trol...@trollfeed.com> posted something concerning:

PCLOS worked beautifully for me for several days. Everything worked
as far as I could tell. It even ran pretty smooth when compared to a
few others I've had installed.

Then an update took several things out. Too much to fix quickly, though
I don't doubt it could be done over a few days' time.

Now the machine is running Simply Mepis.

--
Windows: When you haven't been abused enough by the IRS.

Ruel Smith

Aug 27, 2006, 8:49:35 AM8/27/06
Sinister Midget wrote:

> PCLOS worked beautifully for me for several days. Everything worked
> as far as I could tell. It even ran pretty smooth when compared to a
> few others I've had installed.
>
> Then an update took several things out. Too much to fix quickly, though
> I don't doubt it could be done over a few days' time.
>
> Now the machine is running Simply Mepis.

Mepis is a fine distro, if you like Debian flavor. I actually liked it
better than *buntu, except for the horrid artwork.

But I've been running PCLinuxOS since around March of this year, starting
with .92 and now .93a ('a' does not mean alpha, but rather a revision
of .93). I've never had an update upset my system. That's not to say our
systems are the same. But it's been the most problem-free distro I've ever
used.

Ruel Smith

Aug 27, 2006, 9:14:19 AM8/27/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

> I can't believe Rick is making a stink over this.
> Hey, Suse 9.3 is great.
> Suse 10.0 is great as well.
> Suse 10.1 is terrible.
>
> It's just the way things are and I'm sure they are working on fixing it
> all in 10.2.

I used Suse for a loooonng time. I always liked the feel of that distro. You
could always tell they went the extra distance in the polish department.
Things just had a polished feel to them much like proprietary software has,
and 10.1 has taken that ever further. But it's always been a little slower
than other distros. I remember back in the 9.x days, there were comments on
the newsgroup that Mandy was much faster and people wondered why Suse felt
slow. Now I have faster hardware for running Linux (went from a 600 MHz P3
to a 2800+ Athlon XP) and it feels just as slow. Go figure. I thought there
was a SuperSuse fork that got folded into the main distro that was supposed
to speed things up? Don't know what happened to that project's work...

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 9:32:42 AM8/27/06
Tattoo Vampire <tat2v...@geeemail.com> writes:

> DFS hitched up their overalls,
> shotgunned a beer and wrote:
>
>> You made it my business, guy; you blabbed you were about to "donate to the
>> cause again."
>
> That doesn't make the amount I donate any of your business. You can fuck off
> now, btw.

So, you are full of shit then. What difference does it make since youre
anonymous anyway. Just showing off eh? You were the one huffing and
puffing baout your donations to the cause. I bet you've donated
preciseley sweet FA : its what Linux is about for a lot of posters here
- being a tightarsed blowhard wiht a superiority complex.

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 27, 2006, 11:04:29 AM8/27/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

[snip shit]

Who yanked your crank, fuckrod?

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 10:26:24 AM8/27/06
Rick <trol...@trollfeed.com> writes:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:38:48 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:24:42 +0000, Rick wrote:
>>

>>> ... and yet you said the PCLinuxOS update worked out of the box....
>>> except for ....
>>
>> So?
>>
>> Look Rick, I tell it like it is both the good and the bad.
>
> Uh, no.. you don't.

Uh, he quite clearly does.

>> FWIW I did a second install, on the same machine that screwed up alsa and
>> Grub (no boot Windows partition due to an error in the config file) and
>> this time I left the USB MIDI interface out and this time I chose grub
>> from the start instead of lilo, which was default and failed, and now it
>> installed perfectly.
>>
>> So there ya go, it works PERFECTLY out of the box.
>
> ... this time... and you changed the way you installed the OS.

And documented that change.

>> Sorry if you can't handle the fact that Suse 10.1 has all kinds of
>> problems.
>
> And statements like that is why people have correctly nailed you as being
> dishnest.

Google tells me that Suse 10.1 has all sorts of issues : serious issues.

>> I may uncover problems with PCLinuxOS, who knows but I do know that Suse
>> 10.1 was slow and terribly buggy.
>

> ... and PCLinuxOS didn't work perfectly out of the box.

It did : when he followed a different installation sequence. But he
documented the issue which stopped it workoing once straight from the box.

>> Why not try PCLinuxOS .93a and experiencea serious increase in speed over
>> bloated and buggy Suse 10.1?
>
> I did try PCLinuxOS, as I have said before. ANd, as I have said before, I
> returned to Suse 9.3. I have never tried Suse 10.x.

What, in your everyday work, makes one superior over the other please?

> --
> Rick
> <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 10:27:42 AM8/27/06
Ruel Smith <No...@NoWhere.com> writes:

> I don't care what flatfish++ has done in the past, he's just given Linux
> advocates a high praise of a popular distro (the very same one I use) and
> you're calling him names? He's helped your cause, yet you just insult him
> and tell people not to pay attention to him? Get a life...

hear Hear. Well done Ruel. Your score has just gone positive in my
scorefile :)

Hey, if you remember to quote context, it'll go even higher :-;

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 10:39:43 AM8/27/06
On 2006-08-27, Ruel Smith <No...@NoWhere.com> posted something concerning:

I used a version a few years back. Can't recall what one it was. But I
liked it a lot. The same thing happened, though. It ran and ran and
ran. Then an update hosed USB. That took out the keyboard, mouse and an
external drive. It took out one of two writers, but I had one connected
to the IDE chain, so something worked. I couldn't back up on the
updates. Everything that was supposed to be there and working appeared
to be there and working. Except that was underneath. On the surface it
wasn't working.

At the time I was running into similar problems with other live CDs. I
messed up the same Mepis install several times by installing the same
library that messed it up each time. I tried being cautious and still
screwed it up several times. I never had a Knoppix install survive an
update either. I've royally screwed some Ubuntu installs.

I played with some PCLOS releases a few times over the years. They all
gave me some trouble until this one. I installed it and thought all was
well until the update messed some things up.

That's OK. I moved on and I'll try it again sometime down the road.
Same as I do with others. It might have to do with my habit of
tinkering. I can't leave the software alone. I'm always mucking with
things to get them how I want them (today|this week|for the moment) and
it's not unusual for updates to hose one thing or another with me.

--
Bill Gates says Open Source is riding on the coat-tails of Windows'
success. That's like saying Osama has done his part to increase airport

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 10:45:57 AM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:26:24 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Rick <trol...@trollfeed.com> writes:

>>> So?
>>>
>>> Look Rick, I tell it like it is both the good and the bad.
>>
>> Uh, no.. you don't.
>>

> Uh, he quite clearly does.

Uh, no, it doesn't.

>>> FWIW I did a second install, on the same machine that screwed up alsa
>>> and Grub (no boot Windows partition due to an error in the config file)
>>> and this time I left the USB MIDI interface out and this time I chose
>>> grub from the start instead of lilo, which was default and failed, and
>>> now it installed perfectly.
>>>
>>> So there ya go, it works PERFECTLY out of the box.
>>
>> ... this time... and you changed the way you installed the OS.
>>

> And documented that change.

... and it didn't work perfectly out of the box.

>>> Sorry if you can't handle the fact that Suse 10.1 has all kinds of
>>> problems.
>>
>> And statements like that is why people have correctly nailed you as

>> being dishonest.

> Google tells me that Suse 10.1 has all sorts of issues : serious issues.

That's not the dishonest art of the sentence.

>>> I may uncover problems with PCLinuxOS, who knows but I do know that
>>> Suse 10.1 was slow and terribly buggy.
>>
>> ... and PCLinuxOS didn't work perfectly out of the box.
>>

> It did :

It didn't.

> when he followed a different installation sequence. But he
> documented the issue which stopped it workoing once straight from the box.

So it didn't work perfectly out of the box. Something had to be done to
make it work.

>>> Why not try PCLinuxOS .93a and experiencea serious increase in speed
>>> over bloated and buggy Suse 10.1?
>>
>> I did try PCLinuxOS, as I have said before. ANd, as I have said before,
>> I returned to Suse 9.3. I have never tried Suse 10.x.
>
> What, in your everyday work, makes one superior over the other please?

I like the way Suse 9.3 works better than the way PCLinuxOS works. It may
be habit, or not. I don't remember the specifics of what I didn't like,
but I like Suse 9.3 better than PCLinuxOS.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 10:48:37 AM8/27/06

.. and all of that doesn't make PCLinuxOS a 'bad' distro, it just isn't
perfect. And it may well suit many users better than any version OS Suse.

> Now the machine is running Simply Mepis.

I may look at Suse 10.3 when it comes out. One thing I WILL do the next
time I do a major upgrade is to partition my HD so that I have a distinct
/home and partitions to try different distros.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 10:52:24 AM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:26:24 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

(snip)
>> I did try PCLinuxOS, as I have said before. And, as I have said before,

>> I returned to Suse 9.3. I have never tried Suse 10.x.
>
> What, in your everyday work, makes one superior over the other please?

There is one thing I like about Suse very much... Suse has a script that
will write a 'Suse' menu in WindowMaker that duplicates the KDE/Gnome
menu. When I add an app that would be picked up by KDE or Gnome, it shows
in the 'Suse'. That way I can be said to use KDE, and Gnome and neither :-)

--
Rick

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 11:01:18 AM8/27/06
Tattoo Vampire <tat2v...@geeeeeeemail.com> writes:

Arr, sweet. An internet 'copter pilot. Was probably in 'nam. And knows
how to kick ass due to his "special forces" training.

Anyway, how much did you donate to the cause? Or did you just blow up a
few "hot air" ballons with Tux printed on them?

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 11:02:31 AM8/27/06
Rick <trol...@trollfeed.com> writes:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:04:39 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
>
> ... nothing but drivel.

He's unique, you must give him that.

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 27, 2006, 1:01:09 PM8/27/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

> Arr, sweet. An internet 'copter pilot. Was probably in 'nam. And knows
> how to kick ass due to his "special forces" training.

'Nam was a bit before my time, sweetie. I was still in HS when the POWs came
home.

GreyCloud

Aug 27, 2006, 12:48:32 PM8/27/06
flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:02:07 +0000, Ruel Smith wrote:
>

>>GreyCloud wrote:
>>

>>>Suse does have problems on my machine. (10.0)
>>>What requirements for hardware does PCLinuxOS needs?
>>>The review looked pretty good.
>>
>>I'm with Flatfish on this. Give it a try. I'm a sworn believer in PCLinuxOS.
>>Texstar used a Mandrake core and built everything up from there, so it's a
>>fork of Mandrake, only not really. It uses the Mandrake Control Center,
>>renamed PCLinuxOS Control Center and modified, and Synaptic/Apt for package
>>management. It's unbelievably fast and responsive. I was in absolute shock
>>when I first installed it, and that's under KDE! I expect something like
>>Puppy Linux to run fast, but a KDE based distro? When going from Suse to
>>PCLinuxOS, you'll think you upgraded all of your hardware. It's that much
>>faster.
>

> It really is THAT fast...
> I dunno what Texstar's secret is, but I'm runnin a stock, non SMP kernel
> (I have a Intel P4 HT) and it is blazingly fast.
> Things snap onto the screen and my video card is no screamer (Nvidia
> FX5500)
>
> Others have been commenting how fast this distro feels and it is all true.
> V.92 was fast to be sure, but .93a is a rocket in comparison.
>
> Suse 10.1?
>
> OMG it's like molasses in comparison.
>

>>Best of all, PCLinuxOS keeps it simple. Everything is tailor made to make
>>your life easier, but not hold your hand in the process. For instance:
>>there is no update, universe, multiverse, etc. in the repositories to setup
>>or activate. It's all ready to go for you, and simple to figure out.
>>There's little need for 3rd party repositories, even though there are 2
>>that I know of. If you want something not in the repositories, just request
>>it with a link to the app's home page. Unless it's a problem to get it to
>>work or something (due to requirements beyone Texstar's control), Texstar
>>will package it and put it on the repositories.
>

> Hehe!
> You're well over my head!
>
> I just left it all alone and said update and it just seems to work (.92)
>

>>www.pclinuxos.com
>>
>>Once you install .93a Big Daddy, download either the ATi or nVidia drivers
>>(dkms-ati or dkms-nvidia) and 'multimedia pack' and you're on your way with
>>encrypted DVD playback and everything.
>

> Yep.....

> I can't believe Rick is making a stink over this.
> Hey, Suse 9.3 is great.
> Suse 10.0 is great as well.
> Suse 10.1 is terrible.
>
> It's just the way things are and I'm sure they are working on fixing it
> all in 10.2.

It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then log
in on Suse 10.0.

--
Where are we going?
And why am I in this handbasket?

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 12:56:11 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:

The "Debian menu system" works similarly.

In general, Linux distros keep advancing. Missing some functionality?
Wait a bit.

If you must use Windows, do so. But take a guess which OS advances
faster.

--
"No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
significant number of users want fixed." -- Bill Gates, FOCUS interview

Aragorn

Aug 27, 2006, 1:00:21 PM8/27/06
On Sunday 27 August 2006 18:56, Linonut stood up and addressed the masses
in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:26:24 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> What, in your everyday work, makes one superior over the other please?
>>
>> There is one thing I like about Suse very much... Suse has a script that
>> will write a 'Suse' menu in WindowMaker that duplicates the KDE/Gnome
>> menu. When I add an app that would be picked up by KDE or Gnome, it shows
>> in the 'Suse'. That way I can be said to use KDE, and Gnome and neither
>> :-)
>
> The "Debian menu system" works similarly.

Likewise for Mandrake/Mandriva. The same main menu in KDE, Gnome,
WindowMaker, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Enlightenment, IceWM, mwm, XFCE, and all
other supplied window managers.

The downside of it is that you have to use their own menu editor, which
sucks. ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 1:29:29 PM8/27/06

And that's the thing I like about Suse. Most of the time I -don't- have to
use Windowmaker's menu editor. The script xdg-menu adds the installed app
to the 'Suse' menu tree.

--
Rick

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 1:27:36 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:56:11 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:26:24 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> What, in your everyday work, makes one superior over the other please?
>>
>> There is one thing I like about Suse very much... Suse has a script that
>> will write a 'Suse' menu in WindowMaker that duplicates the KDE/Gnome
>> menu. When I add an app that would be picked up by KDE or Gnome, it
>> shows in the 'Suse'. That way I can be said to use KDE, and Gnome and
>> neither :-)
>
> The "Debian menu system" works similarly.

But does it work under WindowMaker?

--
Rick

DFS

Aug 27, 2006, 1:41:33 PM8/27/06
GreyCloud wrote:

> It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then
> log in on Suse 10.0.

Surely 10 minutes is a typo?

Kelsey Bjarnason

Aug 27, 2006, 1:42:15 PM8/27/06

Whether it was ten cents or ten grand, that's between him and his
conscience. What, exactly, makes you think you have any reason to expect
him to reveal details?

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2006, 2:33:39 PM8/27/06

I didn't mean it to sound like I was saying that.

I've had great luck with Mepis. I've had awful luck with Mepis. It all
depends on circumstances, what's installed, what I'm doing to it.

I had great luck with 2 Suse installs with one problem. Every couple of
times I'd boot the machine, I'd end up with 2 wireless cards. the old
one wouldn't work. I couldn't delete the new one. I had to delete the
old one and configure the new. Not too difficult, but annoying.
Otherwise I don't think I had a single problem with 10.0 or 10.1.

Prior versions, though, gave me fits. I had the hardware capability to
have 1600x1280 resolution, but 9.X and prior defaulted to 1024x768. No
amount of coaxing would make them go any higher. Some USB devices gave
me problems. Networking refused to configure on one of the versions.

A lot can happen. Usually I can get something to work. Sometimes I
can't. Usually once things are working they /stay/ working. Sometimes
they go tits-up on one of the updates. But most of the time these
things failed, *FOR ME*, was when I installed from a live CD.

>> Now the machine is running Simply Mepis.
>
> I may look at Suse 10.3 when it comes out. One thing I WILL do the next
> time I do a major upgrade is to partition my HD so that I have a distinct
> /home and partitions to try different distros.

I couldn't live without a separate /home partition. Plus a couple of
externals contain updated software that I may need right off in case
networking is down or something (.deb abd .rpm formats for most,
.tar.gz for some).

I also need backups. Lots and lots of backups. I use one of the
externals to handle those.

--
C:\WINDOWS\RUN
C:\COMPUTER\CRASH

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 2:50:36 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

It might not be. If a dependency for a service isn't working, it can
take a minute or two for that service to time out.

When monkeying with networking (trying to get wpa_supplicant to do what
I want), dhclient will work for a long time before failing. I hit
Ctrl-C to quit it quickly.

Something is wrong with Grey's setup.

--
IEF630I BAD MACNAM
12.32.57 SYS2 R=IEF450I COLA LINONUT TROLL-ABEND S0C7 UBR549 -

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 2:52:01 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Aragorn belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Sunday 27 August 2006 18:56, Linonut stood up and addressed the masses
> in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:
>

>> The "Debian menu system" works similarly.
>
> Likewise for Mandrake/Mandriva. The same main menu in KDE, Gnome,
> WindowMaker, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Enlightenment, IceWM, mwm, XFCE, and all
> other supplied window managers.
>
> The downside of it is that you have to use their own menu editor, which
> sucks. ;-)

I know XFce, and (I think) fluxbox, let you stick in a section that is
maintained by Gnome or KDE.

Not crystal clear to the newbie, of course.

--
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

Linonut

Aug 27, 2006, 2:53:10 PM8/27/06
After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:56:11 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>

>> The "Debian menu system" works similarly.
>
> But does it work under WindowMaker?

Don't know. I didn't like WindowMaker's menu editor as much <grin>.

I'm still high on XFce, with fluxbox a close second.

--
"Get the business! Get the business! Get the business!"
-- Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft

Scott Nudds

Aug 27, 2006, 3:18:25 PM8/27/06
Ruel Smith wrote:

> With the exception of the distros I've hopped around trying (Ubuntu, Mepis,
> RR4-Sabayon, and mostly Kubuntu), and Debian which was a PITA to donate to
> through some 3rd party, I have either bought a retail version of my bread
> and butter Linux distro, joined the Mandriva Club in its case, or sent in a
> donation.

What do Linux Shit Lickers use Linxu for?
Installing Linux of course.
No other use exists.

Alan Connor

Aug 27, 2006, 3:41:35 PM8/27/06
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <87ac5qg...@mail.com>, "Hadron Quark" wrote:

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

68:[Hadron Quark]
89:[Rick ]
16:[Rick ]
27:[Linonut ]
33:[Aragorn ]
25:[Rick ]
17:[Linonut ]
14:[Hadron Quark]
8:[Hadron Quark]

I see the dimwit trolls are still at it.

Too busy running their punk mouths to notice that no one is even
reading their digital diarrhea.

At least they are now posting on-topic!

ROTFLMAO!!

Can you say "losers", boys and girls?

Alan

--
If you replied to an article of mine and are wondering
why I didn't respond to you, the fact is that I didn't
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/newsfilter.html

Message has been deleted

Claude S. Sutton

Aug 27, 2006, 4:06:59 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:41:35 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

> ROTFLMAO!!
>
> Can you say "losers", boys and girls?
>
> Alan

Read these links to learn all about Alan Conner:

http://www.killfile.org/dungeon/why/connor.html

http://www.gatago.com/authors_pgs/13650.html

http://blog.bananasplit.info/?p=84

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 27, 2006, 5:18:15 PM8/27/06
Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> Whether it was ten cents or ten grand, that's between him and his
> conscience.  What, exactly, makes you think you have any reason to expect
> him to reveal details?

Because he's an obnoxious fuckstick, maybe? If he's a Linux fan, I wish he'd
switch to Windoze, he gives other Linux users a bad name.

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 4:21:55 PM8/27/06
Tattoo Vampire <tat2v...@geeeeeeemail.com> writes:

> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>
>> Whether it was ten cents or ten grand, that's between him and his
>> conscience.  What, exactly, makes you think you have any reason to expect
>> him to reveal details?

Nothing much : but he felt the need to show off with the fact that he
does. myself, I keep my charitable work to myself.

> Because he's an obnoxious fuckstick, maybe? If he's a Linux fan, I wish he'd
> switch to Windoze, he gives other Linux users a bad name.

Oh I dont know : you seem to do a godo enough job of it yourself. I
doubt you even use Linux....

Handover Phist

Aug 27, 2006, 4:59:46 PM8/27/06
Hadron Quark :

> Oh I dont know : you seem to do a godo enough job of it yourself. I
> doubt you even use Linux....

I dont believe KNode runs on Windows....

--
Naeser's Law:
You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it damnfoolproof.

http://www.websterscafe.com

Hadron Quark

Aug 27, 2006, 5:04:55 PM8/27/06
Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark :
>>
>> Oh I dont know : you seem to do a godo enough job of it yourself. I
>> doubt you even use Linux....
>
> I dont believe KNode runs on Windows....

The "..." was the giveaway.

Handover Phist

Aug 27, 2006, 6:19:45 PM8/27/06
Hadron Quark :

Of course it's a giveaway, all my posts are released under GPL ;).

--
NO MORE BULLSHIT

http://www.websterscafe.com

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 27, 2006, 7:26:04 PM8/27/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

> Nothing much : but he felt the need to show off with the fact that he
> does. myself, I keep my charitable work to myself.

Look, reject, this is a Linux advocacy group, and a brief mention that I
donated to Texstar isn't showing off. It was mentioned in passing, but
you're just looking to engage in a pissing contest, right?

Fuck off, Quark. That's a stupid name, by the way.

Tattoo Vampire

Aug 27, 2006, 7:26:25 PM8/27/06
Hadron Quark wrote:

> Oh I dont know :  you seem to do a godo enough job of it yourself. I
> doubt you even use Linux....

Check the headers, gimp.

William Poaster

Aug 27, 2006, 6:42:50 PM8/27/06
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Sun, 27 Aug 2006
10:48:32 -0600, GreyCloud wrote:

<snip>

> It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then log in
> on Suse 10.0.

10 minutes?? Good grieeef, what services have you got running? The two
machines I have SuSE 10.1 installed on take about 3/4 minutes.

--
Linux is not a desktop OS for people
whose VCRs are still flashing "12:00".

Sam

Aug 27, 2006, 7:01:48 PM8/27/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On comp.os.linux.misc, in <87ac5qg...@mail.com>, "Hadron Quark" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> ________________
> .:\:/:. | I did not read |
> +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:. | this post! |
> | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\:\:/:/:.: |________________|
> | FEED THE BEAVIS | :=.' - - '.=: /
> | | '=(\ 9 9 /)=' /
> | Thank you, | ( (_) ) _/
> | Management | /`-vvv-'\
> +-------------------+ / \
> | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
> | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
> @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
> \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
> \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
>
> I see that my mental superiors are still at it.

There's more of us than there are of you.

> Too busy pointing their fingers at me, and laughing.

And making sure our health insurance is paid up, in case we need emergency
care for a busted bladder.

> At least they are now smacking my bitch up!

Consider it a service to humanity.

> ROTFLMAO!!
>
> Can you say "kookfart", boys and girls?

You can, so we don't have to.

> Beavis
>
> --
> If you pointed your finger at me and laughed, and wondered why
> I'm such a Beavis, see http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/

Alan Connor

Aug 27, 2006, 7:53:06 PM8/27/06
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <pan.2006.08.27....@attglobal.net>, "Claude S. Sutton" wrote:

Correction: Another malicious, ignorant, and obnoxious,
dishonest, motormouthed coward (troll) who _sometimes_ calls
himself "Claude S. Sutton" wrote:

Oops. I forgot "impotent". Because the only thing he can do about
me is eat schitt. His own.

This sockpuppet of this dipschitt troll was last seen trying
to get his digital diarrhea into my newsreader on another,
unrelated, group, along with three other sockpuppets of his.

And because he's just a punk troll and windoze-weenie script
kitty (at best) he failed.

Now the poor feeb thinks that he can use the same sockpuppet
and succeed here?!

Or that he can post something that can harm me?!

A curse on Bill Gates for making it possible for idiots to
use computers.

Alan

--
If you replied to an article of mine and are wondering
why I didn't respond to you, the fact is that I didn't

even download your article. For an explanation, see:
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/newsfilter.html

Message has been deleted

Sam

Aug 27, 2006, 9:25:13 PM8/27/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On comp.os.linux.misc, in <pan.2006.08.27....@attglobal.net>, "Claude S. Sutton" wrote:
>

> Correction: Another mental superior of mine, who is desperately
> trying to keep his bladder from bursting open due to my kookfarts,
> named "Claude S. Sutton" wrote:
>
> Oops. I forgot "impotent". Because the only thing I can do about
> people laughing at me is eat schitt. My own.

Bon appetit.

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> This Beavis was last seen trying desperately to make anyone
> notice his digital diarrhea and be impressed by it, but failing
> miserably, with the only result of me becoming Usenet's biggest
> laughing stock.

Not yet, Beavis. You have some ways to go before you're THE laughing stock
(much bigger giants preceded you), but you have a good chance.

> And because I'm just a punk troll and windoze-weenie script
> kitty (at best) I failed.

Nope. You failed for many other reasons.

> Now this poor feeb thinks that I can post an even bigger kookfart,
> in order to succeed?!

Beavis, your kookfarts are very succesful in purging everyone's bladders of
toxic substances.

> Or that I can post something that makes sense?!

No, you definitely cannot do that.

> A curse on Bill Gates for making it possible for idiots to
> use computers.

You better kiss Billy's feet, Beavis, otherwise you won't be here.

Message has been deleted

Rick

Aug 27, 2006, 9:58:06 PM8/27/06
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:53:10 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:56:11 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>>
>>> The "Debian menu system" works similarly.
>>
>> But does it work under WindowMaker?
>
> Don't know. I didn't like WindowMaker's menu editor as much <grin>.
>
> I'm still high on XFce, with fluxbox a close second.

Yeah, I guess when you get hooked on one of the 'alternative' window
mangers you pretty much stay there :-)

--
Rick

It is loading more messages.