[News] Ten New Models from Dell All Run GNU/Linux by Default

Roy Schestowitz

Aug 13, 2008, 6:06:09 PM8/13/08

Dell introduces ten new laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
| the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
| Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
| the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/13/dell-introduces-laptops

Windows running under GNU/Linux. Later it can be thrown out the windows.

Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

,----[ Quote ]
| If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
| spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
| into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
| fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
| snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
| because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
| to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
| Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
| Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
| if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2400

This week:

Select Dell Notebooks Now Cheaper With Ubuntu + Retail Vista Than Vista
Pre-Installed

,----[ Quote ]
| Since Dell has recently added several new models to the Ubuntu line, I
| decided to do price comparisons between the Linux and Windows models. I tried
| to get the systems as close as possible, but in a few cases there are very
| minor differences.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/08/11/select-dell-notebooks-now-cheaper-with-ubuntu-retail-vista-than-vista-pre-installed/

Dell’s comeback machine

,----[ Quote ]
| There are some surprises beneath the surface of the Latitude line as well.
| One is an optional Linux-based low-power mode called Dell Latitude On, which
| boots in two seconds. It offers more than a day’s worth of battery life for
| basic tasks like web surfing, Exchange e-mail, and viewing e-mail
| attachments, and runs on an ARM-based (ARMH) chip rather than the main Intel
| processor. (HP and Lenovo laptops offer similar Linux modes, but with fewer
| capabilities.)
`----

http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/08/12/dells-comeback-machine/

Dell to launch 'Eee PC beater' today

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is expected to unveil its eagerly anticipated attempt to out-Eee Asus'
| Eee PC later today at an event focused on a "new generation of mobility
| products".
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/12/dell_to_launch_eee_rival/

Dell shipping five Hardy Heron systems