Why I love Linux

Bobby D. Bryant

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
PumpDaddee wrote:

> Looks like a RedShack shill has arrived in the form of Bryant.......

Gracious, it sounds like I've hurt someone's feelings. Someone who posts from various usernames at ibm.net. I wonder who
it could be... whose bogon field have I punctured lately?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Arthur

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
indice wrote:

> We can't agree and feel that Linux is a huge waste of time and money.
>
> We run a very small mail order business here in VT and in order to
> save costs brought in a consultant to help us set up an inventory
> system as well as an automated billing system.
> He suggested Linux, and as we are not really computer savey asked him
> to give us a proposel and demo it to us.
>
> After 20 minutes we informed the presentor that Linux was not for us
> as it required too much behind the scenes work. Windows has out of the
> box applicatiosn (at least 17 in our case) that work from the get-go.
> This Linux consultant was talking about building some database and so
> forth. We have done quite a bit of research on Linux and based upon
> what we have seen it will not find a place in our business.
>
> Sincerely,
> Thurman and Elma Stump
> Stump Maple products Manchester VT.

Dear Thurman and Elma -

I don't like to tell people how to run their business, but
have you considered installing a phone line? That way customers
can call you, you call them, and people won't think you're
trolling when you write posts like this. Or perhaps your
business phone is simply unlisted. That's not a good strategy
for a mail order business, or do you take that classification
really seriously?

Have a nice day

Arthur

PumpDaddee

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Linux is great because:

1. Linus is my hero and despite him driving a BMW 7 seres car he cares about my hard work coding the latest version of
Lineshit, a septic tank monitoring system completely programmed in Perl. Of course I am going to give LineShit away for
free so Linus can buy himself a real car some day like maybe a Lexus.
This way everytime Linus takes a shit he can think of me

2. I just love configuring Linux. My wife is a real porker and quite honestly is a lousy lay. With Linux by the time I
get into bed she is already asleep so I don't have to screw her!

3. With Linux I am an instant expert. See with Windows, which everyone knows about, if you say something off kilter so
to speak you will be discovered. With Linux, you can say any kind of shit at all and because chances are good nobody
listening uses it, you can get away with it.
Example: If Kennedy was running Linux his plane never would have crashed.
Damm right it wouldn't have cause it never would have gotten off the ground!!!!!!

4. Linux has so much included for free. Of course I have no idea what much of this shit is, elm/pine sound like trees to
me? Mutt? That's a fricken dog. This is why I love Linux..Where else can some backward programmer, lost in the world of
text input find a home?

5. I love going to the local compusa and tweaking the linux lusers. You can always tell who they are. Fat, homely and
geeky looking. They hang out in the operating systems isle and try to get you to buy Lunis instead of a real operating
system like NT.

I love to tweak them with questions about Databases, Netcrash, compiling your own programs, etc.

A real wierd bunch and the manager of one local Compusa store told me he has to kick them out cause they never buy
anything....That's cause they are cheap...

Well on to better things...Linshit sucks

Looks like a RedShack shill has arrived in the form of Bryant.......

Good luck you lusers......

PuMpDaDdY

Milk that sausage!!!!!!

indice

A.T.Z.

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
indice schreef:

> We can't agree and feel that Linux is a huge waste of time and money.
>
> We run a very small mail order business here in VT and in order to
> save costs brought in a consultant to help us set up an inventory
> system as well as an automated billing system.
> He suggested Linux, and as we are not really computer savey asked him
> to give us a proposel and demo it to us.
>
> After 20 minutes we informed the presentor that Linux was not for us
> as it required too much behind the scenes work. Windows has out of the
> box applicatiosn (at least 17 in our case) that work from the get-go.
> This Linux consultant was talking about building some database and so
> forth. We have done quite a bit of research on Linux and based upon
> what we have seen it will not find a place in our business.

You can be right when you stated that Linux doesn't fit your needs. I think the consultant who visited you should have build
it before he came to you, or at least show you a working demo. Most people doesn't like to buy a product which is just not
there, the big advantage is that he can build a custom app exactly fitted for you needs. That way you can adjust the
software to your way of doing business instead of to adjust your way of doing business to your software.

Personally I believe 20 minutes is much to short for an evaluation. It takes me >40 hours to evaluate. You state at least 17
out of the box solutions, do these products really do what you want them to do? If so, then a windows solution might be the
best for you. How long did you research and how much of this time is hands-on. I did a lot of research to several products,
everything seems good until you try it yourself.

Matthias Warkus

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
It was the Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:41:44 -0500...
..and Bobby D. Bryant <bdbr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> PumpDaddee wrote:
>
> > Looks like a RedShack shill has arrived in the form of Bryant.......
>
> Gracious, it sounds like I've hurt someone's feelings. Someone who posts from various usernames at ibm.net. I wonder who
> it could be... whose bogon field have I punctured lately?

It's our friend keys88. Maybe we should post a message comparing the
word frequencies in the various trolls.

mawa
--
( ) Artikel Nr. RFC0793 Netzhemd aus Glasfaser-GeWWW kbps 64,00
Größe: [ ] SSL [ ] HTML [ ] XML

Jeff Szarka

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:32:11 -0700, Arthur <afr...@usa.net> wrote:

:indice wrote:
:>
[...]

:
:Dear Thurman and Elma -

:
:I don't like to tell people how to run their business, but
:have you considered installing a phone line? That way customers
:can call you, you call them, and people won't think you're
:trolling when you write posts like this. Or perhaps your
:business phone is simply unlisted. That's not a good strategy
:for a mail order business, or do you take that classification
:really seriously?
:
:Have a nice day
:
:Arthur

Maybe he/she doesn't want to spam the group?

Arthur

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:32:11 -0700, Arthur <afr...@usa.net> wrote:

> :indice wrote:

[snip troll]

> :> Sincerely,
> :> Thurman and Elma Stump
> :> Stump Maple products Manchester VT.

> :Dear Thurman and Elma -

> :I don't like to tell people how to run their business, but
> :have you considered installing a phone line? That way customers
> :can call you, you call them, and people won't think you're
> :trolling when you write posts like this. Or perhaps your
> :business phone is simply unlisted. That's not a good strategy
> :for a mail order business, or do you take that classification
> :really seriously?

> :Have a nice day

> :Arthur
>
> Maybe he/she doesn't want to spam the group?

I'm not sure what this means ... you mean because they
didn't post their phone number?

I called directory - there is no Thurman or Elma Stump, or
Stump Maple Products anywhere in the state of VT.
Odd way to run a mail-order business.

Perhaps you've been trolled.

Arthur

.

Bobby D. Bryant

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Arthur wrote:

> I called directory - there is no Thurman or Elma Stump, or
> Stump Maple Products anywhere in the state of VT.
> Odd way to run a mail-order business.
>
> Perhaps you've been trolled.

Maybe they went out of business because they chose the inferior
solution?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Christopher B. Browne

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 05:09:33 GMT, indice <ind...@att.net> posted:

>We can't agree and feel that Linux is a huge waste of time and money.
>
>We run a very small mail order business here in VT and in order to
>save costs brought in a consultant to help us set up an inventory
>system as well as an automated billing system.
>He suggested Linux, and as we are not really computer savey asked him
>to give us a proposel and demo it to us.
>
>After 20 minutes we informed the presentor that Linux was not for us
>as it required too much behind the scenes work. Windows has out of the
>box applicatiosn (at least 17 in our case) that work from the get-go.
>This Linux consultant was talking about building some database and so
>forth. We have done quite a bit of research on Linux and based upon
>what we have seen it will not find a place in our business.

Fascinating.

- You have only ever posted *one thing* on Usenet, according to
Deja.com.

- Apparently you are *extremely* technically knowledgeable, or at
least, far more "computer savey" than you're claiming.

- I don't see a "Stump Maple Products" on a search of the businesses in
and around Manchester.

- Actually, it's the time of year that I'd wouldn't mind stocking up on
maple syrup, or maybehaps even toffee/taffy.

- But in that I can't find the business on the Internet anywhere, I
have to be a little skeptical that I'd believe contact information
that was given me. It would take a Real Idiot to believe contact
information purely given out on the Internet without some form of
secondary backup.

- Another poster has indicated that they checked with Directory Assistance
for the existence of the company, and found nothing. Not a good sign of the
viability of a mail order business; for a competent such business, the
telephone is the lifeline.

Folks, methinks this is a troll. A quite subtle troll, writing things
that may even be easy to agree with. But nonetheless a troll.
--
All ITS machines now have hardware for a new machine instruction --
XOI Execute Operator Immediate.

David M. Cook

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 05:14:21 GMT, PumpDaddee <PumpDaddee> wrote:

>1. Linus is my hero and despite him driving a BMW 7 [...]

AFAIK, Linus drives a Pontiac.

Thanks for playing,
Dave Cook
--
No Linux for you!

Ian Smith

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Jeff Szarka wrote:

> Maybe he/she doesn't want to spam the group?

Save it, Jeff, you won't get any money out of them [g].

Ian Smith Linux Help: alt.os.linux
uk.comp.os.linux

Tim Hanson

Jul 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/30/99
Arthur <afr...@usa.net> wrote:

>Jeff Szarka wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:32:11 -0700, Arthur <afr...@usa.net> wrote:
>
>> :indice wrote:
>
>[snip troll]
>
>> :> Sincerely,
>> :> Thurman and Elma Stump
>> :> Stump Maple products Manchester VT.
>
>> :Dear Thurman and Elma -
>
>> :I don't like to tell people how to run their business, but
>> :have you considered installing a phone line? That way customers
>> :can call you, you call them, and people won't think you're
>> :trolling when you write posts like this. Or perhaps your
>> :business phone is simply unlisted. That's not a good strategy
>> :for a mail order business, or do you take that classification
>> :really seriously?
>
>> :Have a nice day
>
>> :Arthur
>>

>> Maybe he/she doesn't want to spam the group?
>

>I'm not sure what this means ... you mean because they
>didn't post their phone number?
>

>I called directory - there is no Thurman or Elma Stump, or
>Stump Maple Products anywhere in the state of VT.
>Odd way to run a mail-order business.
>
>Perhaps you've been trolled.

It always amazes me that ordinary folks who apparently know little or nothing
about computers, networking, etc., etc., and even less interest in the Linux
community, suddenly take it upon themselves to find Usenet (most people don't
even know it exists; to them the Internet == WWW), and post an analysis of their
(alleged) bad experience on ... c.o.l.a, for Chrissakes. How transparent.

Jeffrey Kok

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
to indice
> We can't agree and feel that Linux is a huge waste of time and money.

good.because you shouldn't agree with it and you shouldn't feel that way.
1st of all, Linux doesn't cost much. As least as compared to their relative competitors. (with the possible exception of
FreeBSD)
2nd, whether is a waste of time is a personal perspective, not a conclusive one.

> After 20 minutes we informed the presentor that Linux was not for us
> as it required too much behind the scenes work. Windows has out of the
> box applicatiosn (at least 17 in our case) that work from the get-go.

Most Linux distribution has at least 10 times that number out of the box.

> This Linux consultant was talking about building some database and so
> forth.

Trust me, it's not that hard

> We have done quite a bit of research on Linux and based upon
> what we have seen it will not find a place in our business.

I sure hope that "quite a bit of research on Linux" is not measure in minutes or just mere hours. Pls try to remember a few
points.
1st of all, you have been using Windows for quite some time. Your experience and perspective have been made base on Windows
2nd, Linux is a totally different Operating System with a different sets of rules, enviroment, commands, programmes, etc.
3rd, most ppl are biased towards their 1st impression. Your 1st impression of Linux may not be favourable as compared to
Windows. Try to be unbiased.
4th, Most ppl are not very receptive to new things. Try to see it from a more open perspective. At least, try to see it as
if this is 1st OS that you are exploring.

If you are able to accept those, then there is more to talk about.

cheers,
Jeffrey

A.T.Z.

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
David M. Cook schreef:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 05:14:21 GMT, PumpDaddee <PumpDaddee> wrote:
>
> >1. Linus is my hero and despite him driving a BMW 7 [...]
>
> AFAIK, Linus drives a Pontiac.

So what. Can't blame the man for having a bad taste. ;-)

A.T.Z.

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Arthur schreef:

> Jeff Szarka wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:32:11 -0700, Arthur <afr...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > :indice wrote:
>
> [snip troll]
>
> > :> Sincerely,
> > :> Thurman and Elma Stump
> > :> Stump Maple products Manchester VT.
>
> > :Dear Thurman and Elma -
>
> > :I don't like to tell people how to run their business, but
> > :have you considered installing a phone line? That way customers
> > :can call you, you call them, and people won't think you're
> > :trolling when you write posts like this. Or perhaps your
> > :business phone is simply unlisted. That's not a good strategy
> > :for a mail order business, or do you take that classification
> > :really seriously?
>
> > :Have a nice day
>
> > :Arthur
> >
> > Maybe he/she doesn't want to spam the group?
>
> I'm not sure what this means ... you mean because they
> didn't post their phone number?
>
> I called directory - there is no Thurman or Elma Stump, or
> Stump Maple Products anywhere in the state of VT.
> Odd way to run a mail-order business.

Don't know what they are selling. With some goods it's better if you
keep a low profile.

> Perhaps you've been trolled.
>

> Arthur
>
> .

Arthur

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99

> > > :indice wrote:

> > [snip troll]

> > > :Have a nice day

> > > :Arthur

My opinion is they're selling nothing, since I don't believe they
exist. The state of Vermont produces a lot of maple syrup and
similar products made from the sap of maple trees. I imagine
that's what "maple products" is meant to imply, although it
could just as well be maple furniture or something else.

They claim to run a "mail-order" business. "Mail-order" is a
carry over from the days when catalog sales were actually done
by mail. Today that kind of business relies primarily on
phone sales, or increasingly Internet sales. My guess (and
I run a similar type of business in some respects) is that
less than 5% of "mail-order" sales actually use the postal
service.

To recap, they have no phone number, no Internet presence
beyond this one post - they're either incredibly stupid
or don't exist. I vote for both of the above.

Arthur

Marika

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99
In article <37A466F0...@atz.nl>,

Yes, I have heard of those illegal mayple sirop distills in Vt. I
watched that movie with Eliot L. Ness who tried to arrest the mayple
sirop farmers who would not pay their taxes. These farmers also did not
have phones or internet in the movie. I am sure this is because they
tried to avoid these evil agents. I still cannot understand the meaning
of the term 'the untouchables'. My friend who watched the movie with me
said it is because sirop is sticky. I think this is not so. I am sure
the agents carried handiwipes.

America is such an odd country.

Marika

"I love you from the bottom of my pencil case"--The Beautiful South

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/