Mandriva 2009 Spring Kicks Vista7 back to /dev/null

Richard Rasker

May 18, 2009, 3:51:50 PM5/18/09

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/mandriva-2009-spring-kicks-vista7-back-to-devnull/

"... it takes over a full minute to boot both Vista and 7 on reasonable
hardware like my newer Core 2 Duo machine
Mandriva 2009 Spring got my old Athlon64 system from power on to log in
screen in 15-18 seconds"

"Mandriva 2009 Spring seems to have all the features one would want from
Vista7 without the sucky undertaste of DRM, while managing to take up 5-6
times less hard drive space, a third the memory, and managing to work
exceptionally well even on XP-era hardware that Microsoft abandoned long
ago."

This matches my personal experience with Mandriva 2009.1 pretty closely. And
I can add that I found that even "tricky" items such as the EeePC's webcam
and shortcut/function keys worked flawlessly right out-of-the-box. And oh,
KDE 4.2's default setting is once again the classic "Desktop Icons" mode,
so that newbie users don't have to feel completely lost in the neat 'n
clean but also somewhat unfamiliar Plasmoid functionality.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl

Goblin

May 18, 2009, 5:47:38 PM5/18/09

In #!CBL 8.10.02 im looking at less than 10 seconds from boot to login
and about a further 3 from login to desktop. Also the machine Im using
CBL on is of a lower spec than an Athlon64

Its great to see people champion Linux experiences though.

Goblin

www,openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."