[News] Heads Roll After Microsoft .NET LSE Crash; Linux FUD Substanceless

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 14, 2008, 5:24:30 PM9/14/08

About that London Stock Exchange IT failure

,----[ Quote ]
| All of which should have you wonder what Linux has to do with any of this -
| Microsoft’s headline, you’ll recall said that the LSE picked Windows over
| Linux for reliability.
|
| The answer is that Linux has nothing to do with any of this: Microsoft simply
| hung an anti-Linux label on a very carefully worded story about a pair of
| committed Microsoft partners, HP and Accenture, getting together with
| Microsoft to sell rather simple technology to a willing customer - and
| neither Linux nor Solaris is mentioned anywhere in the text.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1242

Furse should not resign, she should be sacked

,----[ Quote ]
| Comment The farce of the London Stock Exchange not only crashing but failing
| to get its systems up and running again should surprise no one.
|
| Well, no one except LSE boss Clara Furse, who demonstrates little
| understanding that technology is crucial to her business.
|
| I’ve worked for members of the London Stock Exchange and everyone agrees she
| is world-class at corporate presentations, but the evidence that she can
| actually run things is rather harder to come by.
|
| No one expects her to write FIX handlers, or optimise an order-matching
| engine, but her yes-men simply were not in the position to make any
| intelligent decisions on technology, if we look at the board of the LSE.
|
| Do we see anything that even looks like experience in technology? No. We see
| three from the media, and of course accountancy, but no mention of
technology.

| To be sure, the CIO (not on the board) is ex-Accenture man David Lester. To a
| Reg reader, Accenture will be associated in the context of technology with
| the words “screw up”, “late”, and “over budget”. Clara Furse cannot be held
| responsible for problems with Cisco switches - one of the suggested
| culprits - but she is absolutely in the frame for the choice of senior
| management and strategic vendors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/13/furse_lse_comment/

Recent:

London Stock Exchange in denial over system outage

,----[ Quote ]
| The LSE absolved its core TradElect platform from blame. The system, designed
| and built by Accenture, runs on HP ProLiant Servers and Microsoft .Net and
| SQL Server 2000 systems. Accenture declined to comment on Monday's events.
| The LSE said, "we won't discuss dealings with our individual suppliers".
|
| Bob McDowall, senior analyst at Tower Group, said sparse explanations
| provided by the LSE so far were “not very satisfactory”.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/it-organisation/news/index.cfm?newsid=10947

London Stock Exchange trading derailed by computer crash on frenzied day

,----[ Quote ]
| Trading on the London Stock Exchange has been halted after a computer system
| failed on one of the most frantic days of trading so far this year.
|
| FTSE 100: trading on the London Stock Exchange halted after computer systems
| failed
|
| In an embarrassment for the LSE, the exchange said that no orders can be
| entered or executions of those trades occur. The LSE plans to bring back
| trading in a “controlled way’’, but couldn't say how long that will take.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/money/2008/09/08/bcnlse408.xml

London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect

| The outage hit shortly before close of trading and forced the exchange
| to extend its closing auction by a hour and a half, from 4.30pm until
| 6pm. Even so it was reported that that some traders left for the day
| with trades unexecuted
|
| Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange’s London
| Market Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and
| a SQL Server database
`----

http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/security/news/index.cfm?articleid=2248&pagtype=allchantopdate

NYSE Euronext banks on Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| If anyone out there persists in believing that Linux isn't ready for serious
| prime time, NYSE Euronext's dependence on Red Hat should finally lay that
| silly notion to rest. As announced, the New York Stock Exchange Euronext
| dumped its proprietary UNIX heritage (AIX, HP UX, Solaris) for the freedom,
| flexibility, and performance of Linux.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9942680-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Stock Exchange is moving to a Linux platform for its
| settlement and clearing system, replacing its existing HP NonStop platform
| and applications in order to reduce cost and increase flexibility.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/F586239BCCA7593FCC2573F00001488E

HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

,----[ Quote ]
| "We favor Linux for what we do. We don't want to be beholden to any one
| [hardware or software] supplier, even if it is very good. We want the freedom
| to be vendor-independent, so Linux was a good choice," said Rubinow.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1285921,00.html

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.
`----

Pump and dump spam comes to Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this month, the US Securities and Exchange Commission
| (SEC) had suspended trading in 35 companies that were found to
| be commonly referenced in pump-and-dump stock email campaigns.
`----

SEC goes after stock spammers, hackers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6165804.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/diebold_vote_da.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Nineteen machines had 21 screen freezes or system crashes, producing a
| blue screen and messages about an "illegal operation" or a "fatal
| exception error."
|
| "Especially with this blue-screen problem, you don't know whether it's
| the printer drivers, you don't know whether it's Diebold's own code or
| whether it's Windows,"
`----

http://www.verifiedvotingfoundation.org/article.php?id=6257

Mainframe Linux at SHARE

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone is already using Linux somewhere, Elliott said, but there are still
| people who are afraid to put their mission-critical applications on it for
| fear that it is not robust enough.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118624

Open source and mission critical: The Linux application server landscape

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, Michael Dortch, executive editor and director of IT infrastructure
| management strategies at the Robert Frances Group, penned a report comparing
| Linux application server total cost of ownership (TCO) with Microsoft's
| Windows and Sun Microsystems' Solaris. In that report, Linux won handily,
| prompting Dortch to recommend that all IT managers at least give the Linux
| application server a serious look for mission-critical data center tasks.
|
| [...]
|
| What a lot of our clients are finding today, however, is that, with Linux and
| open source application servers, the wisdom of the crowd has solved those
| standards-based problems. And because the management tools are freely
| available and malleable, they find that the big sell was "cheap and free" but
| is now "What will complete my processes faster?" Open source used to be
| inexpensive and free, but now IT is finding value [in it] because it's more
| responsive and responsive.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1264755,00.html?track=NL-825&ad=597846&asrc=EM_USC_1828806&uid=2087385

Forrester: Open source is everywhere, and increasingly used for
mission-critical applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Forrester just issued an insightful report on the increasing adoption
| of open source in the enterprise. The verdict? Open source is everywhere,
| and taking an ever-increasing piece of the enterprise pie
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/forrester_open_1.html

Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers may be comfortable using Linux for infrastructure-type
| systems but less so for business software, said Monica Kumar,
| senior director of product manager for Linux and open-source
| software at Oracle.
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569

Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
| significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
| these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
| "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
| impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
| about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.
`----

http://ideasint.blogs.com/ideasinsights/2007/04/linux_crossing_.html

Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
| open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
| the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
| gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
| that are commercially viable.
|
| [...]
|
| "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
| financial services companies and that's why many companies are
| expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
| open source software."
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/22/1310216&from=rss

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Next_Gen_MissionCritical_Apps_To_Be_Deployed_on_Linux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]
| The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
| will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
|
| "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
| - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
| Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7681

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

Sep 14, 2008, 6:10:58 PM9/14/08
On Sep 14, 2:24 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com>
wrote:

> About that London Stock Exchange IT failure
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | All of which should have you wonder what Linux has to do with any of this -
> | Microsoft’s headline, you’ll recall said that the LSE picked Windows over
> | Linux for reliability.
> |
> | The answer is that Linux has nothing to do with any of this: Microsoft simply
> | hung an anti-Linux label on a very carefully worded story about a pair of
> | committed Microsoft partners, HP and Accenture, getting together with
> | Microsoft to sell rather simple technology to a willing customer - and
> | neither Linux nor Solaris is mentioned anywhere in the text.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1242

Interesting article by Paul Murphy. Your quote is from his article a
couple of years ago. He says this about the recent crash:

"So now the chickens are coming home and the question is, why? Are
Microsoft’s dot.net technologies so inherently unreliable it’s simply
absurd to expect them to work when volume changes dramatically and
performance pressure mounts, or is there something deeper going on?

My vote goes for a combination of both: second rate technology
combining with a problem obvious in both the decision process and
Microsoft’s decision to brag about this install on its anti-Linux
site."

Paul Montgumdrop

Sep 14, 2008, 6:31:15 PM9/14/08
nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

<snipped>

Is it still down? If it's not still down, then your post is BS. And you
will go to a horse stable and beat horse shit into the ground if you got
the chance.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 14, 2008, 7:03:38 PM9/14/08
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:24:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> About that London Stock Exchange IT failure
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| All of which should have you wonder what Linux has to do with any of this -
>| Microsoft’s headline, you’ll recall said that the LSE picked Windows over
>| Linux for reliability.
>|
>| The answer is that Linux has nothing to do with any of this: Microsoft simply
>| hung an anti-Linux label on a very carefully worded story about a pair of
>| committed Microsoft partners, HP and Accenture, getting together with
>| Microsoft to sell rather simple technology to a willing customer - and
>| neither Linux nor Solaris is mentioned anywhere in the text.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1242

And of course becuase someone posted it on a blog it *has* to be true.....

Sure Roy Schestowitz.
Sure...
What a fool you are.

BTW I could care less what caused the failure.
Software is imperfect.
All of it.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 14, 2008, 7:16:57 PM9/14/08

Nessuno Wigner aka Professor LittleJohn is interested in horses but not
beating them down, if you get my drift....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: