WINDOWS IS COOL

Guest User

Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95

WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

SHAWN

Ivan Samuelson

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95

On 7 Jun 1995 20:32:55 GMT, Guest User spewed the following:

: WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO

: INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
: IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
: ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
: A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
: WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

UNIX IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK MS-WINDOG SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND....

blah, blah, blah...

Your friend is an expert in DOS. I guess this makes him an expert in ALL
OSes? Puh-leaze!!!!!! Forgive me while I lean over into my trashcan and puke.
I can see what the mentality is of >>SOME<< (note emphasis on the word SOME)
UNIX haters. You, my friend, have just helped that vision even more.

You must be a child. Your entire argument is based on how well games play.
And, if you were to look at Linux, you would see Doom is there, both for
the "plain screen" and X-windows side of Linux.

As for multi-tasking being invented by Bill Gates, that's been around since
Billy-Boy was picking his nose in grade-school. Now, if you want to talk
about multi-crashing, well, I'd say Billy-Boy's MS-Windog has that area
down pat.

Get a life and quit shouting (or, are you on such an old terminal that runs
DOS that CAPS-LOCK is not an option?)

Ivan Samuelson, Consultant * No matter where you go, there you are!
Profound Consulting * bol...@iquest.net
http://indy.net/~profound * http://chaos.taylored.com/home/bolski/

Jesper de Jong

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
On 7 Jun 1995, Guest User wrote:

> WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
> INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
> IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
> ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
> A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
> WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>

> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
>
> SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

First of all: WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING LIKE THIS? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CAPS
LOCK KEY IS FOR?

1) So, your friend is an expert in DOS and runs a BBS! Does this
automatically mean he's an expert in Linux?!?

2) DOOM for Linux certainly exists!

3) The GUI for Linux is X Windows, which is used on many, many Unix
computers. There are also other GUIs available.

4) Bill Gates invented DOS even before 1984, and we are still stuck with
this ancient thing which is really an OS for XT's - not designed for
386s, 486s and Pentiums.

5) Bill gates did not invent multitasking!!!

6) Did you know that only 10% of the software market consists of software
for PC's? The other 90% is UNIX and other systems.

Don't be so narrow-minded and don't SHOUT about things you don't know about.

Greetings, Jesper.

Jesper de Jong <jes...@cas.et.tudelft.nl>

Boudewijn W. Ch. Visser

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) writes:

Windoze is so cool it freezes every computer that runs it.

Next,ucr shouldn't give their public terminals posting privilege.

Boudewijn
|Boudewijn Visser |E-mail:vis...@ph.tn.tudelft.nl |finger for |
|Dep. of Applied Physics,Delft University of Technology |PGP-key |
+-- my own opinions etc --------------------------------------------+

Panu J Matilainen

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
Guest User (gu...@gogol.ucr.edu) wrote:

Oh boy, this is funny...

: WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO

: INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
: IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE

Really, being expert at dealing with TSRs, UMBs and other horrid
dos-stuff doesn't exactly help you to get started with unix (hmm...
which file do I have to put the 'linux=high, umb' in? :)

: ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS

BTW, Linux (and some other unices) have doom and it runs just about as
fast or faster (depending on your hardware) as in dos.

: A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED

: WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

Oh yeah, sure... (why am i bothering to answer this anyway???)

: UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

Maybe the comparison should be between Ritchie and Gates (and in this
corner, weighting ....;)

So why am I bothering? Maybe because I should be studying...

Panu

: SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

: SHAWN

Brian Moore

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) writes:

>WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE

>ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS

>A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

>UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

>SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

>SHAWN

Get this one over to alt.humor UND ZWAR SCHNELL!!!!
--
/*************************************************/
/* */

Ev Howell

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
In article <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) wrote:

> WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
> INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
> IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
> ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
> A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
> WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

> SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

I'm assuming this is a joke right? I got a kick out of it anyhow.

________________________________
E. Howell
long...@aloha.com

Ravi Krishna Swamy

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95

In article <3r75ht$f...@oravannahka.Helsinki.FI>, pjma...@cc.Helsinki.FI (Panu J Matilainen) writes:
>Guest User (gu...@gogol.ucr.edu) wrote:
>
>Oh boy, this is funny...

Yeah it is, did you see the "guest user" part? I love getting sucked into
flame bait...

>: WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO

>: INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>: IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>

>Really, being expert at dealing with TSRs, UMBs and other horrid
>dos-stuff doesn't exactly help you to get started with unix (hmm...
>which file do I have to put the 'linux=high, umb' in? :)

/etc/rc.d/rc.something?

>: ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>
>BTW, Linux (and some other unices) have doom and it runs just about as
>fast or faster (depending on your hardware) as in dos.

I've got doom on my 486dx33 w/ 16 mb ram at work and I really can't tell the
difference between the svgalib version and doom on my p5-90 at home.

>: A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED

>: WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>

>Oh yeah, sure... (why am i bothering to answer this anyway???)

You're bored?

Ravi
--
"Linux is stable, Windoze is the stuff you find on the floor of a stable."

Ravi K. Swamy http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/r/rkswamy/www/
swa...@uncvx1.oit.unc.edu <- try that one first
rks...@eos.ncsu.edu ro...@sdf2.nowhere.to.be.seen.in.the.footage

Steven Buytaert

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
Ivan Samuelson (bol...@dorite.use.com) wrote:
and a lot of other replied to a heap of flame bait
as large as an elephant...

I removed the ms-windows group from the newsgroups line.
You can all cool down now and continue your studies.

I liked the quote:

"Windows is so C00L, it freezes every computer"

though :-)

--
Steven Buytaert

WORK buyt...@imec.be
HOME buyt...@clever.be

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
(A. Einstein)

Corey Sklenicka

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Ivan Samuelson wrote:

> On 7 Jun 1995 20:32:55 GMT, Guest User spewed the following:
>

> : IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE

> : ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS

> You must be a child. Your entire argument is based on how well games play.

> And, if you were to look at Linux, you would see Doom is there, both for
> the "plain screen" and X-windows side of Linux.

See, it's like this. DOS and Windows, do indeed have more, newer and
fancier games than Linux. According to Bill Gates, "Windows 95 will be
the premier gaming system..."

Therefore, Windows 95 is a toy OS, for playing games. :)

====

Corey Sklenicka GCS/MU-d+H--@s!gp?aua-w+@v---C++++UL++++$P+
co...@gollum.cloudnet.com L++>+++E---N+++KW---M--V--poY++t+(++)!5j
co...@gollum.kendeco.com R++G?tv++b+++DB---eu*h+f?r*n----y++

Bigg Trouble

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
In article <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, Guest User <gu...@gogol.ucr.edu> wrote:

>WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>
>UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
>
>SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!
>
>SHAWN

I sure hope you were being sarcastic when you wrote this! Bill Gates has
never invented anything in his life, he just borrows things, renames
them, and makes a killing in the software market. Stating that your
friend is an expert in DOS does not prove anything, DOS is nothing when
it comes to OS's, it was created for the average computer user who only
wants to word proccess and play games. If your friend is really
interrested in Linux, I could send him a copy of a HOWTO which tells you
step by step how to install Linux (my dog could do it). FYI, you can get
Doom for Linux, and anyway, IMHO computers were not created to play games
on! If you want to play games, get a Nintendo or somethin'. If this was
meant to be sarcastic, ha, ha. If not, get your facts straight! Oh, and
by the way, YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL!

((|))
(o o)
===============================ooO==(_)==Ooo====================================
Name: Rob Bigg E-mail: Home/school: .rb...@engr.uvic.ca
Phone: (604) 382-1397 Work: ........rb...@crlv01.srm.crl.gov.bc.ca
========================STANDARD DISCLAIMER APPLIES=============================

Sorry about the double .sig. (Stupid trn!)
--

((|))
(o o)

Ravi Krishna Swamy

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.950608...@dutentb.et.tudelft.nl>,
Jesper de Jong <jes...@dutentb.et.tudelft.nl> wrote:
[stupid jerk post from "guest user" deleted]

>3) The GUI for Linux is X Windows, which is used on many, many Unix
>computers. There are also other GUIs available.

X is not really a GUI. You've got to put something else on top of it.

>4) Bill Gates invented DOS even before 1984, and we are still stuck with
>this ancient thing which is really an OS for XT's - not designed for
>386s, 486s and Pentiums.

Bill Gates did not invent DOS. He bought the thing from some small
company in Seattle. It was originally called QDOS for Quick and
Dirty OS. That's what it still is today.

>5) Bill gates did not invent multitasking!!!

But M$ marketing makes many people believe that he did.

>6) Did you know that only 10% of the software market consists of software
>for PC's? The other 90% is UNIX and other systems.

I didn't know that. You sure wouldn't get that impression from looking
at any computer software store around here. Where are you getting
your numbers?

>Don't be so narrow-minded and don't SHOUT about things you don't know about.

His whole post was a load of crap. Go back and look at the name.

Ravi

Patrick Reijnen

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
In <6TvrleqA...@mango.aloha.com> long...@mango.aloha.com (Ev Howell) writes:

>In article <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) wrote:
>>
>> WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>> INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>> IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>> ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>> A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>> WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>
>> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
>
>> SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

>I'm assuming this is a joke right? I got a kick out of it anyhow.

If this is not a joke, this guy must be completely out of his mind ........

>________________________________
>E. Howell
>long...@aloha.com

Patrick REijnen

--
************************* Patrick Reijnen *************************
* Linux *

Tim Gerchmez

Jun 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/10/95
In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.95060...@gollum.cloudnet.com>,
co...@gollum.cloudnet.com says...

>See, it's like this. DOS and Windows, do indeed have more, newer and
>fancier games than Linux. According to Bill Gates, "Windows 95 will be
>the premier gaming system..."
>
>Therefore, Windows 95 is a toy OS, for playing games. :)

Close... Win95 is essentially a HOME OS, for the home and home office
market. That's what it's aimed at, and it will probably also catch on
big in the business market (as Win 3.1 did). Believe me, playing games
is an EXTREMELY important part of computer use for most people (MS has
reasearched this, and that's why they're emphasizing games. They're also
trying to kill DOS, which has been the last holdout of video game
players.)

--
* I'm sorry for butting in, I'm interrupt driven. *
Check out my home page: http://www.eskimo.com/~future/index.html

James LewisMoss

Jun 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/10/95
Jesper de Jong <jes...@dutentb.et.tudelft.nl> writes:

>On 7 Jun 1995, Guest User wrote:

Why are you responding to this obvious silliness.
But I had to correct one thing.

>4) Bill Gates invented DOS even before 1984, and we are still stuck with
>this ancient thing which is really an OS for XT's - not designed for
>386s, 486s and Pentiums.

Billy-boy did not invent dos. He bought it, and improved it. Is there any peice of
software that microsoft, and microsoft alone started from the bottom and wrote the
whole thing. I was wondering this the other day.

>5) Bill gates did not invent multitasking!!!

But, boy wouldn't he like you to think he did.

>6) Did you know that only 10% of the software market consists of software
>for PC's? The other 90% is UNIX and other systems.

Is this actually true? I've never heard this.

jim

James LewisMoss University of South Carolina |Blessed Be!
mo...@cs.scarolina.edu |Linux is cool!
"Argue for your limitations, and you get to keep them."
Richard Bach

Mark van Hoeij

Jun 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/10/95
In <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu> gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) writes:

>UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM.

Wrong.

>IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN

Wrong.

>AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984

Wrong.

>AND HE INVENTED WINDOWS
Wrong.

>AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
Wrong.

So, after having shown how clever you are, you reach the following conclusion:

>EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

You know, only the first letter of a name or a sentence should be a capital,
the others are usually small letters.

Mark van Hoeij

Stephen Petschulat

Jun 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/10/95
: >6) Did you know that only 10% of the software market consists of software
: >for PC's? The other 90% is UNIX and other systems.

: I didn't know that. You sure wouldn't get that impression from looking

: at any computer software store around here. Where are you getting
: your numbers?

This is roughly true (according to the SPA's 1994 report) if he is
referring to dollars and not the number of packages sold. Roughly 90%
of home computer buyers never buy software other than that which is
bundled with their machine. Not to mention commercial Unix software
tends to be a lot more expensive.

--
Stephen Petschulat
OpenRoad Communications

Gerald Gutierrez

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
: >> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

: If this is not a joke, this guy must be completely out of his mind ........

Just from the one little statement above, I'm pretty sure that this is a
child who looks just like Bill Gates and has been using msdos for all his
life. Understandable. Not too many children have UNIX access.

But then .. if this isn't a kid -- well then he sure acts like one :)

: --

: ************************* Patrick Reijnen *************************
: * Linux *
: * Email: patr...@cs.kun.nl Inside *
: * WWW: http://zeus.cs.kun.nl:4080/homepage.html *

--

`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'

Gerald Gutierrez Computer Engineering
Faculty of Applied Science
gut...@unixg.ubc.ca University of British Columbia

William R. Schneider

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
pjma...@cc.Helsinki.FI (Panu J Matilainen) wrote:
>Guest User (gu...@gogol.ucr.edu) wrote:

>Really, being expert at dealing with TSRs, UMBs and other horrid
>dos-stuff doesn't exactly help you to get started with unix (hmm...
>which file do I have to put the 'linux=high, umb' in? :)

Oh geez. Now that I look back on my DOS experience, before running Linux,
I remember spending countless hours trying to take full advantage of my system
resources. Like trying to get DOS to recognize all the memory I have in my
Pentium, etc. Linux just _does_. No UMBs, no EMS, no XMS, no trying to coerce
your computer to load your device drivers in high memory so you can try to get
closer and closer to freeing up a full 640K for your programs. Your memory's
just THERE. Now whenever I run DOS/Windows I always feel like my OS is holding
me back, like it's not letting me use my computer the way it should be used.

Granted, configuring a UNIX system is not for the faint of heart. You might
not be able to get as much power out of a DOS system but it is a lot easier for
people (i.e., non-hackers) to set up...

Bill

John Hartnup

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Corey Sklenicka (co...@gollum.cloudnet.com) wrote:

: On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Ivan Samuelson wrote:

: >
: > On 7 Jun 1995 20:32:55 GMT, Guest User spewed the following:
: >

: > : IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
: > : ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS

: > You must be a child. Your entire argument is based on how well games play.
: > And, if you were to look at Linux, you would see Doom is there, both for
: > the "plain screen" and X-windows side of Linux.

: See, it's like this. DOS and Windows, do indeed have more, newer and

: fancier games than Linux. According to Bill Gates, "Windows 95 will be
: the premier gaming system..."

: Therefore, Windows 95 is a toy OS, for playing games. :)

.. and yet it can't compete with a Sony PlayStation using far cheaper.
hardware. Hehe!

John Hartnup : hart...@cs.aston.ac.uk | You can drink your weak lemon now,
http://www.aston.ac.uk/~hartnupj/ | or you can save it until later...

Joe Sloan

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
In article <3rhkb9...@killer.aixssc.uk.ibm.com>,

John Hartnup <S9H...@wsdps364.wsdl.uk.ibm.com> wrote:

>: Therefore, Windows 95 is a toy OS, for playing games. :)
>
>.. and yet it can't compete with a Sony PlayStation using far cheaper.
>hardware. Hehe!

Say, how much is that Sony PlayStation?
has gcc been ported to it?

;-)

--
Joe Sloan j...@engr.ucr.edu http://dostoevsky.ucr.edu
Linux95 - Real Power NOW! "What do you want to wait for today?"

Darin Johnson

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
> >6) Did you know that only 10% of the software market consists of software
> >for PC's? The other 90% is UNIX and other systems.
>
> I didn't know that. You sure wouldn't get that impression from looking
> at any computer software store around here. Where are you getting
> your numbers?

You think MVS, VMS, and UNIX (the big three) users go shopping at mall
stores? But then, people don't impulse shop for software for these
OS's. Heck, even OS/2 and NT users don't get much of a pick at
stores.

But there's so much variance depending upon cost, number of units,
number of users, number of license,etc, that you can pretty much make
up any statistic and it will be true in the computer world just by
having vague definitions. Ie, PC's sell many more boxes than other
systems. VMS is probably a giant in dollar sales or number of
licenses. If you limit the statistics to only certain areas, such as
business computing, home computers, scientific computers, government
and military computing, etc, then the number change drastically. I
seem to recall that the number one San Diego software company only has
UNIX products (and UNIX is a big seller in the top 5).
--
Darin Johnson
djoh...@ucsd.edu

Johan De Messemaeker

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
NDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

>UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

>SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

>SHAWN

Windows, DOS-expert ... DOS-expert ... djeezes, (repeat it with the right intonation and say it slow) D O S - e x p e r t. This guy must be joking. My sister is 15 years old and is a DOS-expert ... everybody is a DOS-expert. I wonder what you should to do get the certificate of 'DOS-expert' ...

H. Peter Anvin

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Followup to: <3rck4k$o...@poplar.cs.scarolina.edu>
By author: mo...@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu (James LewisMoss)
In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Billy-boy did not invent dos. He bought it, and improved it. Is
> there any peice of software that microsoft, and microsoft alone
> started from the bottom and wrote the whole thing. I was wondering
> this the other day.

Microsoft BASIC. They also started writing it after they had already
let their customer know it was available (and to be delivered two
weeks later) -- they supposedly finished it up by splicing paper tapes
on the plane.

/hpa
--
PGP public key available - finger h...@yggdrasil.com
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." -- Baha'u'llah

Darin Johnson

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
> Just from the one little statement above, I'm pretty sure that this is a
> child who looks just like Bill Gates and has been using msdos for all his
> life.

IT WAS A JOKE ALREADY!!!
--
Darin Johnson
djoh...@ucsd.edu

Donal K. Fellows

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In article <3rck4k$o...@poplar.cs.scarolina.edu>,

James LewisMoss <mo...@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu> wrote:
>Jesper de Jong <jes...@dutentb.et.tudelft.nl> writes:
>>On 7 Jun 1995, Guest User wrote:

Hah! Guest User _must_ have been trolling...

>>4) Bill Gates invented DOS even before 1984, and we are still stuck with
>>this ancient thing which is really an OS for XT's - not designed for
>>386s, 486s and Pentiums.
>

>Billy-boy did not invent dos. He bought it, and improved it. Is

^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
What a frightening thought!

>there any peice of software that microsoft, and microsoft alone
>started from the bottom and wrote the whole thing. I was wondering
>this the other day.

Hmm. A version of BASIC?

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows, (at work) | Donal K. Fellows, (at home)
Dept. of Computer Science, | 6, Randall Place, Heaton,

la...@imap1.asu.edu

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
People!...

Why have you even bothered to respond to the original post???
It's obviously either a kid who is looking to get his kicks getting
others into a flame war, or some bored housewife who doesn't get any sex
anymore! Please, raise you standards, and ignore rubbish like that! Okay?

People!...

We all KNOW DAMN WELL that:

1). Bill Gates is a moron.
2). His products are crap.
3). UNIX OS's are superior in every respect, and will be
for a long time to come.

3a). Oh, well, AmigaDOS also does very well! :)

Come on guys!... lets act like the UNIX royalty we are, and forget about
the Micro$not/Macinturd peasants out there...

Ok. I'll shut up now. :)
--

²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²
² Music is that which envelops our emotions... conducts our minds.... ²

Perry Grieb

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95

(Panu J Matilainen) writes:
|> Guest User (gu...@gogol.ucr.edu) wrote:
|>
|> Oh boy, this is funny...
|>
|> : WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
|> : INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
|> : IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
|> Really, being expert at dealing with TSRs, UMBs and other horrid
|> dos-stuff doesn't exactly help you to get started with unix (hmm...
|> which file do I have to put the 'linux=high, umb' in? :)
|>
|> : ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
|> BTW, Linux (and some other unices) have doom and it runs just about as
|> fast or faster (depending on your hardware) as in dos.
|>
|> : A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED

|> : WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
|> Oh yeah, sure... (why am i bothering to answer this anyway???)
|>
|> : UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
|> Maybe the comparison should be between Ritchie and Gates (and in this
|> corner, weighting ....;)
|>
|> So why am I bothering? Maybe because I should be studying...
|> Panu
|>
|> : SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!
|> : SHAWN

The only thing Billy Gates ever invented was GPFs! CP/M existed
on microprocessors before Microsoft bought the rights to DOS from
Seattle Computer (correct name?)! Windows can multi-task just like
my riding mower can do the 1/4 mile in 6 seconds flat.

Hum...did I leave anything out? Keep me honest now. Thanks for
the laugh Shawn.

--

c23...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com
"I wouldn't have made it up if it wasn't true."

Donal K. Fellows

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <3r9kdh$m...@taco.cc.ncsu.edu>,

Ravi Krishna Swamy <wa...@bob.catt.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>Bill Gates did not invent DOS. He bought the thing from some small
>company in Seattle. It was originally called QDOS for Quick and
>Dirty OS. That's what it still is today.

Except, it isn't quick any more. I suppose that's why it's just called
DOS now... :)

Philippe Steindl

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Uhm,

people should really ignore such living and talking bullshit on the net like
they ignore dog shit on the streets :)

PS

Gilles Lehoux

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
Jesper de Jong <jes...@dutentb.et.tudelft.nl> writes:

>On 7 Jun 1995, Guest User wrote:
>

>> WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>> INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>> IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE

>> ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS

>> A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>> WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>>

>> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
>>

>> SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!
>

>First of all: WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING LIKE THIS? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CAPS
>LOCK KEY IS FOR?
>
>1) So, your friend is an expert in DOS and runs a BBS! Does this
>automatically mean he's an expert in Linux?!?
>
>2) DOOM for Linux certainly exists!

>3) The GUI for Linux is X Windows, which is used on many, many Unix
>computers. There are also other GUIs available.
>

>4) Bill Gates invented DOS even before 1984, and we are still stuck with
>this ancient thing which is really an OS for XT's - not designed for
>386s, 486s and Pentiums.
>

>5) Bill gates did not invent multitasking!!!
>

>6) Did you know that only 10% of the software market consists of software
>for PC's? The other 90% is UNIX and other systems.

Is this figure of 90% an expression of "number of software titles" or
"share of sales in dollars".

Gilles Lehoux, P.Eng, gle...@amtron1.login.qc.ca, Linux

Brian Hurt

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
la...@imap1.asu.edu writes:

>People!...

> Why have you even bothered to respond to the original post???
>It's obviously either a kid who is looking to get his kicks getting
>others into a flame war, or some bored housewife who doesn't get any sex
>anymore! Please, raise you standards, and ignore rubbish like that! Okay?

We don't get enough sex either...

>People!...
>
> We all KNOW DAMN WELL that:
>
> 1). Bill Gates is a moron.

You're giving him too much credit.

> 2). His products are crap.

You're giving him way too much credit.

> 3). UNIX OS's are superior in every respect, and will be
> for a long time to come.

> 3a). Oh, well, AmigaDOS also does very well! :)

>Come on guys!... lets act like the UNIX royalty we are, and forget about
>the Micro$not/Macinturd peasants out there...

>Ok. I'll shut up now. :)

I suppose I will as well.

Brian Hurt.

Wayne Brown

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
Guest User (gu...@gogol.ucr.edu) wrote:

: WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
: INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
: IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
: ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
: A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
: WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

: UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

: SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

: SHAWN

Wow! BIFF lives! Kool.

Borrow a clue, d00d.

--
Wayne Brown wbr...@ledgepc.uucp

Mikael Fackle Fornius

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
Patrick Reijnen (patr...@cs.kun.nl) wrote:
: In <6TvrleqA...@mango.aloha.com> long...@mango.aloha.com (Ev Howell) writes:

: >In article <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) wrote:
: >>
: >> WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
: >> INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
: >> IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
: >> ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
: >> A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
: >> WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
: >
: >> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
: >
: >> SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

: >I'm assuming this is a joke right? I got a kick out of it anyhow.

: If this is not a joke, this guy must be completely out of his mind ........

It was not funny. Stop it!

Sin Hang KIn

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
long...@mango.aloha.com (Ev Howell) wrote:

>In article <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) wrote:
>>
>> WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>> INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>> IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>> ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>> A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>> WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>
>> UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
>
>> SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

>I'm assuming this is a joke right? I got a kick out of it anyhow.

I support this guy even I am a Linux fans.

I use Linux in my home and would like very much introduce it to my
office. It is a great product.

Also I think UN*X is getting old and complicated. I would say it need
some clean up and polish and I believe that Linux should do that:

Easy of use and management :

Lets droup the shutdown procedure : why not built an powerdown
equipment and lets the kernel save its context and quit. Let the
powerup reload the context and start right at the sport it die.

Make the commands easier for common people. Linux don't ask an expert
to use it, the designer ask that! I think Linux would like to be more
friendly.

Make printing more easily. ps is good, however, not all printers are
ps. Most people I know have difficulty to install printers drivers in
windows, I would like to say none of them can print under Un*x.

The list can go on and on, but the idea is the same, make it easier
for people. The system is only good when it is accessable by the
people.

Best respect to Bill, He knows about that!

Johnny B. Goode

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
In article <3s1e7d$i...@vassun0.macau.ctm.net>,

Sin Hang KIn <ken...@macau.ctm.net> wrote:

>Make printing more easily. ps is good, however, not all printers are
>ps. Most people I know have difficulty to install printers drivers in
>windows, I would like to say none of them can print under Un*x.

You're supposed to use ghostscript to print PS stuff. It supports
pretty much any printer.

Cheers, Terry Murphy

Kimmo Veijalainen

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
la...@imap1.asu.edu writes:

>People!...

> Why have you even bothered to respond to the original post???
>It's obviously either a kid who is looking to get his kicks getting
>others into a flame war, or some bored housewife who doesn't get any sex
>anymore! Please, raise you standards, and ignore rubbish like that! Okay?

>People!...

> We all KNOW DAMN WELL that:
>
> 1). Bill Gates is a moron.

> 2). His products are crap.

> 3). UNIX OS's are superior in every respect, and will be
> for a long time to come.

> 3a). Oh, well, AmigaDOS also does very well! :)

:-) I've noticed that AmigaOs guys are usually the first ones to
get Linux, GUS and other "cool" but "non-mainstream" stuff for their
PCs. Maybe we just know better ;-B
--
veij...@cc.lut.fi // AmyPcC64 - - ----==* Torp is the Cure =:^)
finger.for.pgp.key\\/http://www.lut.fi/~veijalai/faq/CD32-FAQ.html

Johnny B. Goode

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
In article <bhurt.8...@winternet.com>,
Brian Hurt <bh...@klondike.winternet.com> wrote:

>I forget who #2 was- I'd never heard of them- they only do IBM
>Big-Iron products.

Oracle?

Cheers, Terry Murphy

Brian Hurt

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
gle...@amtron1.login.qc.ca (Gilles Lehoux) writes:

>Is this figure of 90% an expression of "number of software titles" or
>"share of sales in dollars".

I was reading an IS-Professionals magazine the other day while waiting in
someone's waiting room. The had a list of the top 50 gross sales software
companies (by $ amount). Of course, MS was #1. I forget who #2 was- I'd
never heard of them- they only do IBM Big-Iron products. The list was
pretty much evenly divided between PC Software, Mainframe Software, and
Workstation Software (especially CAD systems). I'll get the name of the
magazine and other relevent information and post it here.

Remember- it doesn't take all that many million-dollar-a-peice software
packages to rack up impressive totals. What the pro-DOS people want
to be braging about is their installed user base.

Brian Hurt

Brian Hurt

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
ken...@macau.ctm.net (Sin Hang KIn) writes:
>Also I think UN*X is getting old and complicated. I would say it need
>some clean up and polish and I believe that Linux should do that:

>Easy of use and management :

>Lets droup the shutdown procedure : why not built an powerdown
>equipment and lets the kernel save its context and quit. Let the
>powerup reload the context and start right at the sport it die.

Two problems: First (and most difficult to solve) is how do we know when
we're going to lose power? On the PC, usually the first indication you
get is when the CPU stops running, at which point it's a little late to
save anything. The best solution would involve changing the PC design
(so that the only ways to power it down are a software shutdown or yank
the plug out of the wall- and encourage people not to yank the plug).
The second problem is: what happens if the state the OS is in is wrong?
This could happen several ways- everything from we've compiled a new
kernel to there was a bug in the old kernel. I much perfer to start
from scratch every time I boot.

>Make the commands easier for common people. Linux don't ask an expert
>to use it, the designer ask that! I think Linux would like to be more
>friendly.

Feel free to start writing and distributing new commands.

>Make printing more easily. ps is good, however, not all printers are
>ps. Most people I know have difficulty to install printers drivers in
>windows, I would like to say none of them can print under Un*x.

Who writes the printer drivers?

Actually- I take that back. Ghostscript supports most standard printers.
Perhaps some way could be faked to quietly allow ghostscript into the
print filters (if needed). This may already have been done- check
around.

>The list can go on and on, but the idea is the same, make it easier
>for people. The system is only good when it is accessable by the
>people.

Define "the people". I already find it useable and accessable. As much
or more so than Windows. Does that make me "not people"?

>Best respect to Bill, He knows about that!

He knows marketing, I'll give him that.

Brian Hurt.

Mark Sutton

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
In message <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu>

gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) writes:
>WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.
>
>UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
>
>SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!
>
>SHAWN

Oh no! Is this the same person who used to post those hilarious advocacy
pariodies under the name Rodion Raskolnikov?

I thought I recognized the intellect level!
----
| Mark Sutton | Internet: mark....@laitram.com |
| The Laitram Corporation | http://web.page?/I-don't-need-no/ |
| New Orleans, Louisiana | +STEENKING/web.page! |

Mark Sutton

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
In message: <3rlgjm$g...@news.asu.edu>
la...@imap1.asu.edu wrote:

>People!...
>
> Why have you even bothered to respond to the original post???
>It's obviously either a kid who is looking to get his kicks getting
>others into a flame war, or some bored housewife who doesn't get any sex
>anymore! Please, raise you standards, and ignore rubbish like that! Okay?

Let's see now...

High standards.....
[anything].advocacy newsgroup?

Naaaaaaa....!

Hungs

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
In <D9y74...@eskimo.com> fut...@eskimo.com (Tim Gerchmez) writes:

>In article
<Pine.LNX.3.91.95060...@gollum.cloudnet.com>,
>co...@gollum.cloudnet.com says...

>>See, it's like this. DOS and Windows, do indeed have more, newer and

>>fancier games than Linux. According to Bill Gates, "Windows 95 will
be
>>the premier gaming system..."
>>

>>Therefore, Windows 95 is a toy OS, for playing games. :)
>

>Close... Win95 is essentially a HOME OS, for the home and home office
>market. That's what it's aimed at, and it will probably also catch on

>big in the business market (as Win 3.1 did). Believe me, playing
games
>is an EXTREMELY important part of computer use for most people (MS has

>reasearched this, and that's why they're emphasizing games. They're
also
>trying to kill DOS, which has been the last holdout of video game
>players.)
>
>--
>* I'm sorry for butting in, I'm interrupt driven. *
>Check out my home page: http://www.eskimo.com/~future/index.html
>Email or finger me for my PGP Public Key: fut...@eskimo.com

You're so right. I don't know why so many people say that playing
games is a bad thing. Maybe because its unproductive? Naw . . .
Playing games helps you relax and think better. In a sense, it's a way
of getting your mind off of your work so that you can work better. If
there were no computer games, I feel the world would be even less
productive. That's why games are so important.

Ted Hung

Mad Max

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95

Tim Gerchmez (fut...@eskimo.com) wrote:
: Close... Win95 is essentially a HOME OS, for the home and home office
: market. That's what it's aimed at, and it will probably also catch on
: big in the business market (as Win 3.1 did). Believe me, playing games
: is an EXTREMELY important part of computer use for most people (MS has
: reasearched this, and that's why they're emphasizing games. They're also
: trying to kill DOS, which has been the last holdout of video game
: players.)

Why is Micro$loth trying to kill DOS, other than to download more cash?
I wonder why this was crossposted to two obviously opposing newsgroups?

--
"When I collect two solar masses of AOL Disks, I will use them to detonate
the Sun" Web Page URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/po/poulosio/poulosio.html

H. Peter Anvin

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
Followup to: <bhurt.8...@winternet.com>
By author: bh...@klondike.winternet.com (Brian Hurt)
In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Actually- I take that back. Ghostscript supports most standard printers.
> Perhaps some way could be faked to quietly allow ghostscript into the
> print filters (if needed). This may already have been done- check
> around.

ftp.yggdrasil.com: /pub/dist/magicfilter/magicfilter-1.1b.tar.gz

David H. Goodlette

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
:
: > UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.
:
: > SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

: I'm assuming this is a joke right? I got a kick out of it anyhow.

We're probably entertaining ourselves here... I suppose 'guest@gogol...'
hasn't logged in since he/she/it posted this (my assumption.)

Y'gotta admit, the gauntlet has been laid down with the title. But
the fight was over before the first response :-)

--

Dave (Goodbits) Goodlette d...@goodco.com
"Trust nothing as Gospel unless straight from God. In that case,

Kevin Stone

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
Hungs (laur...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: You're so right. I don't know why so many people say that playing

: games is a bad thing. Maybe because its unproductive? Naw . . .
: Playing games helps you relax and think better. In a sense, it's a way
: of getting your mind off of your work so that you can work better. If
: there were no computer games, I feel the world would be even less
: productive. That's why games are so important.

Bill saying, "Windows95 will be the premier gameing system,"
is as dumb as a Sega Rep. saying, "Saturn will be the premier work
station!" That's why people find fault in judging an OS for it's games
and how well it plays them. Personaly I would never buy an OS for how
many games it had or how well it played them. But, for some rich, fat ass
who can't get up to get a cup of coffee for him self (ie. Bill Gates)
should just buy a computer for every OS out there with his favorite game
loaded and ready to go on each so he dosen't have to worry about which
OS is better for games or not. (Is this so difficut a concept to
grasp?) =8-)

-Kevin Stone
*Do I hate Microsoft.. or is it just the world?*

Marco van den Boogaard

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
In <3r52dn$p...@galaxy.ucr.edu> gu...@gogol.ucr.edu (Guest User) writes:

>WINDOWS IS REALLY COOL AND I THINK UNIX SUCKS BECAUSE MY FRIEND TRYED TO
>INSTLL LUNIX AND HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ANYTHING WORKING AND HES AN EXPERT
>IN DOS AND RUNS A BBS. WINDOWS IS MUV^HCH BETTER AND UNIX DOESN'T HAC^HVE
>ANY GOOD GAMES LIKE DOOM. IT'S ALL JUST A P[^HLAIN SCREEN BUT WINDOWS HAS
>A GUI AND BILL GATES INVENTED THE WORLS FIRST DOS IN 1984 AND HE INVENTED
>WINDOWS AND MULTITASKING IN 1987.

>UNIX DOENST STAND A CHANCE AGAINST V^HBILL GATES.

>SO STOP SAYING UNIX IS GOOD BECAUSE EVETRYONE KNOWS MICROSOFT IS BETTER!!!!!

>SHAWN

Flamebait.
--
|\/| Marco van den Boogaard | It's nice to be
_| _| marc...@sci.kun.nl | slightly crazy
|/|), University of Nijmegen | (== weird)
|) |

Jeff Grammer

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
Brian Hurt (bh...@klondike.winternet.com) wrote:

: ken...@macau.ctm.net (Sin Hang KIn) writes:
: >Also I think UN*X is getting old and complicated. I would say it need
: >some clean up and polish and I believe that Linux should do that:

: >Easy of use and management :

: >Lets droup the shutdown procedure : why not built an powerdown
: >equipment and lets the kernel save its context and quit. Let the
: >powerup reload the context and start right at the sport it die.

The other point this guy missed is that NT *ALSO* has to be shutdown
exactly the same way (well, in theory not operationally) that any
Unix box does. Also, if this guy thinks that you can just power-off
a Windows/DOS machine without first exiting Windows then he hasn't got
a clue on that point either! Powering off your PC running Windows
without exiting Windows leaves behind that DAMN swap file, which takes
up disk space and can cause odd problems when you re-boot. Anyway,
it's just one more case of the MS/Gates 'snow-job' on the user
community!....

[...]

Jeff Grammer Phone:(502)588-2606
Network System Engineer Fax:(502)588-2800

Glen Harris

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In <DBApI...@iglou.com> jgra...@iglou.iglou.com (Jeff Grammer) writes:

>Brian Hurt (bh...@klondike.winternet.com) wrote:
>: >Make printing more easily. ps is good, however, not all printers are
>: >ps. Most people I know have difficulty to install printers drivers in
>: >windows, I would like to say none of them can print under Un*x.
>: Who writes the printer drivers?
>
>: Actually- I take that back. Ghostscript supports most standard printers.
>: Perhaps some way could be faked to quietly allow ghostscript into the
>: print filters (if needed). This may already have been done- check
>: around.

One word: apsfilter

--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "Thats fifty green fires and hot * * * *
* * Glen Harris * * * * * * * * * * * leads to go, with a side order * * * * *