For those of you who are interested in freedom...

Phil Da Lick!

Sep 24, 2008, 4:43:47 AM9/24/08
http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/

Petition launched today. Please sign. Probably a waste of time but if
we're all silent we can't moan when the axe falls.

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 24, 2008, 5:21:34 AM9/24/08

Phil Da Lick!

Sep 24, 2008, 5:28:13 AM9/24/08
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 08:43 : \____
>
>> http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/
>>
>> Petition launched today. Please sign. Probably a waste of time but if
>> we're all silent we can't moan when the axe falls.
>
> New page: http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/getthelist

Hmm I can see that one backfiring. I think the case against software
patents needs to be made intelligently and rationally to the policy
makers, and not by inundating and alienating the patent offices with
requests for reams and reams of information.

Hadron

Sep 24, 2008, 8:15:03 AM9/24/08

Roy just has to "be in charge". He's a certifiable nutcase. BTW, make
sure High Plains Hypocrite doesn't sign it with all his nyms at once or
the server will crash.

--
"Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can
address."

Phil Da Lick!

Sep 24, 2008, 8:18:08 AM9/24/08
Hadron wrote:
> "Phil Da Lick!" <phil_t...@REMOVETHISSPAMTRAP.hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 08:43 : \____

>>> New page: http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/getthelist
>> Hmm I can see that one backfiring. I think the case against software
>> patents needs to be made intelligently and rationally to the policy
>> makers, and not by inundating and alienating the patent offices with
>> requests for reams and reams of information.
>
> Roy just has to "be in charge". He's a certifiable nutcase. BTW, make
> sure High Plains Hypocrite doesn't sign it with all his nyms at once or
> the server will crash.

Very amusing. This thread is about freedom though so take your draconian
protectionist views and piss off elsewhere, "True Linux Advocate".

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 24, 2008, 9:12:10 AM9/24/08

Joe Potter

Sep 24, 2008, 10:13:45 AM9/24/08

"Phil Da Lick!" <phil_t...@REMOVETHISSPAMTRAP.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:wNCdnddyOIdcYETV...@posted.plusnet...

> http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/
>
> Petition launched today. Please sign. Probably a waste of time but if
> we're all silent we can't moan when the axe falls.

Classic example of - "There's a right way and a wrong way of doing
something."

This idiotic idea is clearly the *wrong* way since it accomplishes
absolutely nothing.

Phil Da Lick!

Sep 24, 2008, 11:04:10 AM9/24/08

If enough companies sign up it may make a difference if presented in the
right place and in the right way.

Joe Potter

Sep 24, 2008, 11:19:09 AM9/24/08

"Phil Da Lick!" <phil_t...@spammerskissmyarse.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:R8adndvclJB1y0fV...@posted.plusnet...

*IF* presented in the right place and the right way. A bunch of form letters
asking for a "list of software patents" with no explanation whatsoever is
*NOT* the right way and presents nothing to anyone.

That's my point.

Phil Da Lick!

Sep 24, 2008, 11:34:33 AM9/24/08
Joe Potter wrote:
> "Phil Da Lick!" <phil_t...@spammerskissmyarse.hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:R8adndvclJB1y0fV...@posted.plusnet...
>> Joe Potter wrote:
>>> "Phil Da Lick!" <phil_t...@REMOVETHISSPAMTRAP.hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> message news:wNCdnddyOIdcYETV...@posted.plusnet...

>>> Classic example of - "There's a right way and a wrong way of doing
>>> something."
>>>
>>> This idiotic idea is clearly the *wrong* way since it accomplishes
>>> absolutely nothing.
>>
>> If enough companies sign up it may make a difference if presented in the
>> right place and in the right way.
>
> *IF* presented in the right place and the right way. A bunch of form letters
> asking for a "list of software patents" with no explanation whatsoever is
> *NOT* the right way and presents nothing to anyone.
>
> That's my point.

Yes. I made that point earlier in the thread.

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 24, 2008, 1:42:50 PM9/24/08
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:15:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> "Phil Da Lick!" <phil_t...@REMOVETHISSPAMTRAP.hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 08:43 : \____

>>> New page: http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/getthelist
>>
>> Hmm I can see that one backfiring. I think the case against software
>> patents needs to be made intelligently and rationally to the policy
>> makers, and not by inundating and alienating the patent offices with
>> requests for reams and reams of information.
>
> Roy just has to "be in charge". He's a certifiable nutcase. BTW, make
> sure High Plains Hypocrite doesn't sign it with all his nyms at once or
> the server will crash.

It's classic narcissistic behavior.
He does it on digg and in other places and usually gets buried for doing
it.

IOW he has to "one-up" other posters in order to make himself feel
superior.

A textbook case.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Homer

Sep 25, 2008, 7:41:24 PM9/25/08
Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

> http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/
>
> Petition launched today. Please sign.

Done.

I also Emailed the UK IPO with the template letter.

> Probably a waste of time but if we're all silent we can't moan when
> the axe falls.

Well I just got a non-automated reply from the IPO, so at least they're
listening:

[quote]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:42:20 +0100
From: "Nigel Hanley" <Nigel.Hanley [AT] ipo.gov.uk>
To: <no-patents [AT] slated.org>
Subject: Re: List of software patents in the UK

Dear Keith

Thank you for your Email of 24th September in connection with World
NoSoftware Patents Day. It has been forwarded to the relevant section
and you will receive a substantive reply as soon as possible.

Nigel Hanley
Senior Patent Examiner
UK Intellectual Property Office
Concept House
Cardiff Road
Newport
NP10 8QQ

>>> devnull [AT] slated.org 24/09/2008 14:08 >>>
Dear Patent Office,

Today 24th September is the World Day Against Software Patents. I am
writing to you in order to obtain the list of software patents granted
or pending in the United Kingdom. Software patents are patents which
contain claims that can be implemented in the form of a computer
program.

For your information, the same list will be requested to the
responsible minister in the form of a parliamentary question.

If you have the incapacity to return a complete list with all the
patents containing claims which can be implemented in the form of a
computer program, please make sure you will be able to provide such
list for next year for the World Day Against Software Patents on the
24th September 2009.

Best regards,

\--
Keith G. Robertson-Turner
http://stopsoftwarepatents.org
[/quote]

I better clear my Inbox in preparation for that "substantive reply".

Also, it's interesting to note that the IPO (of all places) is using
GroupWise and not Exchange.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
| make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
| - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

00:40:59 up 40 days, 21:53, 4 users, load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.11

Moshe Goldfarb.

Sep 25, 2008, 11:16:14 PM9/25/08

Hopefully it wasn't one of your typical COLA rants [Homer].
If it was, they will be coming for you with a net.....