25 Things Wrong With the iPhone

Rotten Apple

Apr 22, 2010, 1:48:19 PM4/22/10

Dave Fritzinger

Apr 22, 2010, 2:01:28 PM4/22/10
On Apr 22, 7:48 am, "Rotten Apple" <rot...@pple.com> wrote:
> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iph...

OK, I know I shouldn't, but I'll respond. First, note that this is
about the 1st generation iPhone, and many of the author's criticisms
have been addressed with new versions of the phone and/or the OS.
Second, note that the first words in the article are from the author
saying how much he loves his iPhone.

As trolling, this rates about a 1 of 10. You can do better.

Alan Baker

Apr 22, 2010, 2:03:33 PM4/22/10
In article <DZ%zn.135706$ao7....@newsfe21.iad>,
"Rotten Apple" <rot...@pple.com> wrote:

> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/

And the relevance of a review of the iPhone as it was on opening day
is... ...what?

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

Nick Ballard

Apr 24, 2010, 9:50:15 PM4/24/10
Rotten Apple wrote:
> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/

There are more long-standing issues:

* iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
everyone's phones.
* iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
(DRM) technology.
* iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
track you without your knowledge.
* iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
and Theora.
* iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on
the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.

"This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.

. . .

There is a reason so much emphasis was put on the visual design of the
iPhone. There is a reason that Apple is so concerned about unsightly
seams that they won't even let you change the battery in your own phone.

Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly
chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position
Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for
the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel
luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g

Alan Baker

Apr 24, 2010, 9:57:41 PM4/24/10
In article <kdNAn.276536$wr5.2...@newsfe22.iad>,
Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rotten Apple wrote:
> > http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/
> >

> There are more long-standing issues:
>

> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> everyone's phones.

Wow. $99.

> * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> (DRM) technology.

Yup. And get used to it.

> * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> track you without your knowledge.

Nonsense.

> * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> and Theora.

Wrong.

> * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on
> the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
> formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.
>
> "This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.

Yup. And...

> . . .
>
> There is a reason so much emphasis was put on the visual design of the
> iPhone. There is a reason that Apple is so concerned about unsightly
> seams that they won't even let you change the battery in your own phone.
>
> Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
> manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
> an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly
> chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position
> Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for
> the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel
> luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g

LOL

ZnU

Apr 24, 2010, 10:07:38 PM4/24/10
In article <kdNAn.276536$wr5.2...@newsfe22.iad>,
Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rotten Apple wrote:
> > http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/
> >

> There are more long-standing issues:
>

> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> everyone's phones.

This statement in highly misleading to people who don't understand the
special definition of the word 'free' that's being used. There are, of
course, tens of thousands of $0 apps for the iPhone.

> * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> (DRM) technology.

I'm not sure how a computing device can 'endorse' something.

> * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> track you without your knowledge.

No more than other cell phones.

> * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> and Theora.

Which nobody really cares about except open source ideologues.

> * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on
> the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
> formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.

The what?

> "This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.
>
> . . .
>
> There is a reason so much emphasis was put on the visual design of the
> iPhone. There is a reason that Apple is so concerned about unsightly
> seams that they won't even let you change the battery in your own phone.
>
> Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
> manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
> an alternative community.

The author of the article you're quoting from doesn't understand what
people see in Apple devices, so he assumes they must all be deluded.
Those of us who actually appreciate things like design and understand
user experience have a rather different perspective.

[snip]

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it

KDT

Apr 24, 2010, 11:38:01 PM4/24/10
On Apr 24, 9:50 pm, Nick Ballard <nrball...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rotten Apple wrote:
> >http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iph...

> There are more long-standing issues:
>

>      * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> (DRM) technology.

Do you buy or rent DVD's? Do you use the HDMI connector on your TV?

>      * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> track you without your knowledge.

Got news for you -- every cell phone tracks your whereabouts and
provides ways for others to track you. What in particular are you
talking about?

>      * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> and Theora.

The iPhone won't play DRM-free music? When did it stop playing
regular old MP3, AAC, WAV, and AIFF music. Newsflash, Theora and Ogg
Vorbis are technically awful formats. This is no great secret.

>      * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on
> the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
> formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner

"The software available on the phone makes it suitable for power users
and developers only -- it is not yet ready for the general consumer."

"With most distributions the FreeRunner is working as a reliable
phone. However it still has usability issues and many advanced
features are still missing."

> Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
> manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
> an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly
> chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position
> Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for
> the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel
> luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g

So should we all rush out and get a phone that "is not yet ready for
the general consumer"?

ZnU

Apr 25, 2010, 12:21:01 AM4/25/10
In article
<0ef924ad-2c26-4cf6...@12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
KDT <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
> > manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
> > an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly
> > chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position
> > Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for
> > the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel
> > luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g
>

> So should we all rush out and get a phone that "is not yet ready for
> the general consumer"?

Well, you have source code, right? Implementing all the functionality it
took Apple years to get right is just a project for a long weekend, I'm
sure.

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 2:31:51 AM4/25/10
Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> writes:

> Rotten Apple wrote:
>> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/
>>

> There are more long-standing issues:
>
> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> everyone's phones.

Wrong. They pay a % for the promotion and distribution of their app. As
is only right.

> * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> (DRM) technology.

Good. Or the developers and artists would have their apps/material
stolen by freetards.

> * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> track you without your knowledge.

So do ALL cellphones.

> * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> and Theora.

IF true that is bad. It also wont play Flash. Which is good.

> * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on
> the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
> formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.

"On the horizon". Yes. I see ...

> "This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.
>
> . . .
>
> There is a reason so much emphasis was put on the visual design of the
> iPhone. There is a reason that Apple is so concerned about unsightly
> seams that they won't even let you change the battery in your own
> phone.

And it makes the unit a lot more reliable.

You really are the son of Rexx.

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 3:05:44 AM4/25/10
ZnU <z...@fake.invalid> writes:

> In article
> <0ef924ad-2c26-4cf6...@12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
> KDT <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> > Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
>> > manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
>> > an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly
>> > chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position
>> > Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for
>> > the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel
>> > luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
>> >
>> > http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g
>>

>> So should we all rush out and get a phone that "is not yet ready for
>> the general consumer"?
>
> Well, you have source code, right? Implementing all the functionality it
> took Apple years to get right is just a project for a long weekend, I'm
> sure.

According to Jed it is.

But Hey! The OpenMoko was Open Source wasn't it? Just branch the code
for that!!!!!!!!!!!

ROTFLM!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZnU

Apr 25, 2010, 3:54:48 AM4/25/10
In article <q74da7-...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Rotten Apple wrote:
> >> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/
> >>

> > There are more long-standing issues:
> >
> > * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> > to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> > everyone's phones.
>
> Wrong. They pay a % for the promotion and distribution of their app. As
> is only right.

I love all the people complaining about App Store terms on behalf of
developers. Pretty much anyone who has ever tried to sell
self-distributed software -- or even really thought about what's
involved -- is going to realize that the 30% Apple is asking for is an
absolute bargain, when you consider they save you the trouble of
implementing billing, fulfillment, installation, updating, and copy
protection. Plus the App Store makes it much easier for people to
discover your app.

These are all really annoying problems for one-man bands and small indie
shops, which would, in general, really rather concentrate on writing
great software than on processing credit cards and chasing down pirate
serial numbers.

Of course from the perspective of some free software advocates, it's not
actually a good thing that Apple is making it easier for developers to
make money selling software, and an indie developer who writes a great
app is doing something immoral if he wants to charge a couple of bucks
for it instead of giving it away free with source code.

[snip]

ZnU

Apr 25, 2010, 4:29:33 AM4/25/10
In article <a76da7-...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:

This article:
http://blog.bitquabit.com/2009/07/01/one-which-i-call-out-hacker-news/

is a really great explanation of just how misguided this sort of "all
the important bits of [successful product X] could be implemented in a
weekend" thinking is.

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 7:51:06 AM4/25/10
ZnU <z...@fake.invalid> writes:

R> In article <a76da7-...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Yup. Good article.

,----
| And you need to make sure that users don’t upvote or downvote another
| user too many times in a certain amount of time, to prevent
| spambots. Probably going to have to implement a spam filter, too, come
| to think of it, even in the basic design, and you also need to support
| user icons, and you’re going to have to find a sanitizing HTML library
| you really trust and that interfaces well with Markdown (provided you do
| want to reuse that awesome editor StackOverflow has, of course). You’ll
| also need to purchase, design, or find widgets for all the controls,
| plus you need at least a basic administration interface so that
| moderators can moderate, and you’ll need to implement that scaling karma
| thing so that you give users steadily increasing power to do things as
| they go.
`----

COLA loons will look puzzled and ask why you need certain features
exactly. And probably go to stackoverflow for their answer ...

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 7:46:14 AM4/25/10
ZnU <z...@fake.invalid> writes:

> In article <q74da7-...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > There are more long-standing issues:
>> >
>> > * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
>> > to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
>> > everyone's phones.
>>
>> Wrong. They pay a % for the promotion and distribution of their app. As
>> is only right.
>
> I love all the people complaining about App Store terms on behalf of
> developers. Pretty much anyone who has ever tried to sell
> self-distributed software -- or even really thought about what's
> involved -- is going to realize that the 30% Apple is asking for is an
> absolute bargain, when you consider they save you the trouble of
> implementing billing, fulfillment, installation, updating, and copy
> protection. Plus the App Store makes it much easier for people to
> discover your app.

Exactly. When I was a lot younger I signed off some game SW I had
written to a distributor - never heard from them again. Robbed me
blind. Apple are ensuring good coverage, visibility and hosting support
etc. 30% is a bargain.

ONLY in COLA are the people so dumb that they think they could possibly
distribute and support their own SW for less and make more money.

Nashton

Apr 25, 2010, 8:47:36 AM4/25/10
On 4/24/10 10:50 PM, Nick Ballard wrote:
> Rotten Apple wrote:
>> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iphone/
>>

> There are more long-standing issues:
>

> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to
> Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> everyone's phones.

That's unfair. There are many free apps on the app store.
As long as apps aren't offensive or promote pornography, they are blocked.

Is this such a hardship for you to endure?

> * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management (DRM)
> technology.

So what?

> * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track
> you without your knowledge.

False. By that same token, every smartphone has this "flaw."
And at times it can actually be useful.

> * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis and
> Theora.

LOL

> * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on the
> horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
> formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.

There you go.

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 9:07:40 AM4/25/10

And.. of course, users are able to obtain easily installable software
from a wide range of vendors, besides Apple...

--
Rick

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 9:35:25 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnQ1ygYABo0nW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

Which is both good and bad. Good, maybe even great, if the app is
actually optimized for that particular box. Bad if it isn't or even
maybe it doesn't work well at all on whichever of the few hardware
configs of upcoming touchpad coming.

The problem of course, is you have no way of knowing until you actually
try the software out.

In theory, I like the open approach better. But in practical useage,
I'll take the more controlled approach because I am assured the software
does what it says it does and works just right on the iPad/Touch/iPhone.

--
Lloyd

Peter Köhlmann

Apr 25, 2010, 9:38:47 AM4/25/10
Nashton wrote:

> On 4/24/10 10:50 PM, Nick Ballard wrote:
>> Rotten Apple wrote:
>>> http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-
iphone/

>> There are more long-standing issues:
>>

>> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to
>> Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
>> everyone's phones.
>
> That's unfair. There are many free apps on the app store.
> As long as apps aren't offensive or promote pornography, they are
> blocked.

You mean like those from the guy who was awarded the Pulitzer price?
"Porn" like that?

> Is this such a hardship for you to endure?

You cargo cultists seem to easily get used to be censored by your High
Priest "The Steve"

--
Twenty Percent of Zero is Better than Nothing.
-- Walt Kelly

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 9:48:39 AM4/25/10

I'm waiting for the price on the Droid to come down a little, and for it
to come to Verizon. For now I'll struggle along with my 3 year old cell
phone and Palm TX.

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 9:50:07 AM4/25/10

"PeterKöhlmann" <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> Nashton wrote:

> iphone/
>>>>

>>> There are more long-standing issues:
>>>

>>> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to
>>> Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
>>> everyone's phones.
>>
>> That's unfair. There are many free apps on the app store.
>> As long as apps aren't offensive or promote pornography, they are
>> blocked.
>
> You mean like those from the guy who was awarded the Pulitzer price?
> "Porn" like that?

Which was then changed/corrected a couple of days later and the app is now
allowed. Gee... that was such a hardship, having to wait an additional few
days for the app.

>> Is this such a hardship for you to endure?
>
> You cargo cultists seem to easily get used to be censored by your High
> Priest "The Steve"

So how is it that your high priest "The Schestowitz" decides your cultist
point of view?

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 9:52:12 AM4/25/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:50:07 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "PeterKöhlmann" <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Nashton wrote:

>> iphone/

>>> That's unfair. There are many free apps on the app store. As long as
>>> apps aren't offensive or promote pornography, they are blocked.
>>
>> You mean like those from the guy who was awarded the Pulitzer price?
>> "Porn" like that?
>
> Which was then changed/corrected a couple of days later and the app is
> now allowed. Gee... that was such a hardship, having to wait an
> additional few days for the app.

So, was the app restored because it wasn't so objectionable after all, or
because Apple got bad press from denying the Pulitzer winner?(snip)
--
Rick

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 9:53:41 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnQlygYCq1UnW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

I never found that I liked any 'smart phone', still don't. I have a
basic phone on a pay-as-you-go deal that does what I want it to, make
phone calls.

I have a Touch and an iPad. Now that I'm retired and the iPad is out,
the Touch has little use for me, so I'll probably peddle it on Ebay or
Craigslist.

As a glorified Touch, my iPad works great and the size is just right for
the uses I have for it, minus one use. In bed, on my side, the iPad is
a bit big and heavy for one-handed reading. I have a Nook for that!

--
Lloyd

KDT

Apr 25, 2010, 9:55:33 AM4/25/10
On Apr 25, 9:07 am, Rick <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> And.. of course, users are able to obtain easily installable software
> from a wide range of vendors, besides Apple...

But yet and still, with only 20% of the smart phone market and an even
smaller share of the mobile market in general, 99,4% of all mobile app
sales go through the Apple store. So maybe all of those other means
of distribution are not as efficient?

Peter Köhlmann

Apr 25, 2010, 9:57:37 AM4/25/10
Ezekiel wrote:

> "PeterKöhlmann" <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Nashton wrote:

>> iphone/

>>> That's unfair. There are many free apps on the app store.
>>> As long as apps aren't offensive or promote pornography, they are
>>> blocked.
>>
>> You mean like those from the guy who was awarded the Pulitzer price?
>> "Porn" like that?
>
> Which was then changed/corrected a couple of days later and the app is
> now allowed.

It is? Last I heard was that "The Steve" asked the guy to reenter the app
for a new consideration.

And even *if* it were allowed now: It is a striking example why apple now
has to be considered much worse than MS has ever been

> Gee... that was such a hardship, having to wait an
> additional few days for the app.

No. It was a really bad example of censorship.
You guys seem to adapt rather well to being told what you can't do

>>> Is this such a hardship for you to endure?
>>
>> You cargo cultists seem to easily get used to be censored by your High
>> Priest "The Steve"
>
> So how is it that your high priest "The Schestowitz" decides your
> cultist point of view?

Simple: He doesn't. He never has, and never will. Because he can't.
He "decides" *his* view. Not mine, or that of anyone else

Well done, Ezekiel Scott Nudds: Again proved beyond any doubt that you are
truly an idiot
--
Just out of curiosity does this actually mean something or have some
of the few remaining bits of your brain just evaporated?

Peter Köhlmann

Apr 25, 2010, 10:03:16 AM4/25/10
Rick wrote:

"The Steve" had so much egg on the face, he needed something to hide his
blatant dictatorship

That guy should instead write every day some high profile article why
apple should be removed from this earth. No private compny should *ever*
have the right to decide what kind of information its customers can or
can't access with their paid for gadgets
--
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 10:27:44 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQ1ygYABo0nW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 6:07 AM:

>> I love all the people complaining about App Store terms on behalf of
>> developers. Pretty much anyone who has ever tried to sell
>> self-distributed software -- or even really thought about what's
>> involved -- is going to realize that the 30% Apple is asking for is an
>> absolute bargain, when you consider they save you the trouble of
>> implementing billing, fulfillment, installation, updating, and copy
>> protection. Plus the App Store makes it much easier for people to
>> discover your app.
>>
>> These are all really annoying problems for one-man bands and small indie
>> shops, which would, in general, really rather concentrate on writing
>> great software than on processing credit cards and chasing down pirate
>> serial numbers.
>>
>> Of course from the perspective of some free software advocates, it's not
>> actually a good thing that Apple is making it easier for developers to
>> make money selling software, and an indie developer who writes a great
>> app is doing something immoral if he wants to charge a couple of bucks
>> for it instead of giving it away free with source code.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> And.. of course, users are able to obtain easily installable software
> from a wide range of vendors, besides Apple...

Absolutely... Apple does not write even 1% of the apps available for iPhone
OS.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Chris Ahlstrom

Apr 25, 2010, 10:29:25 AM4/25/10
Peter Köhlmann pulled this Usenet boner:

> Ezekiel wrote:

>> Peter wrote:
>>>
>>> You cargo cultists seem to easily get used to be censored by your High
>>> Priest "The Steve"
>>
>> So how is it that your high priest "The Schestowitz" decides your
>> cultist point of view?
>
> Simple: He doesn't. He never has, and never will. Because he can't.
> He "decides" *his* view. Not mine, or that of anyone else
>
> Well done, Ezekiel Scott Nudds: Again proved beyond any doubt that you are
> truly an idiot

I quite agree that claiming Roy has even a scintilla of influence over what
we choose to post is idiotic.

--
Your society will be sought by people of taste and refinement.

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 10:33:11 AM4/25/10

> Ezekiel wrote:
>

>> "PeterKöhlmann" <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote in message

>>> iphone/

>>> You mean like those from the guy who was awarded the Pulitzer price?
>>> "Porn" like that?
>>
>> Which was then changed/corrected a couple of days later and the app is
>> now allowed.
>
> It is? Last I heard was that "The Steve" asked the guy to reenter the app
> for a new consideration.

What "you heard" is irrelevant.

> Well done, Ezekiel Scott Nudds: Again proved beyond any doubt that you are
> truly an idiot

When it comes to idiots - you are the king. Tell us again about screen
anti-aliasing. Tell us again how everyone is clueless and stupid because
it's completely legal to dereference a NULL pointer. Tell me again how QT
will magically run with the OSX theme on Linux or how Finale doesn't do
music composition. There are very few people here in COLA that are as stupid
as you Kohltard. Your posting history makes this abundantly clear.

And I'm sure you have evidence that I'm "Scott Nudds" or that Hadron is
"Larry" - right?

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 10:43:36 AM4/25/10

"Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message

Then it must be one BIG coincidence that COLA advocates are in lock-step and
all just happen to have the exact same view as Schestowitz on Miguel de
Icaza, iPhones, iPods, music and film copyrights, etc, etc. And when Jesper
Lund Stocholm posted here before the ODF/OOXML vote in Stockholm it was
Schestowitz that lead the charge attacking him and not one single advocate
dared say otherwise.

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 10:44:19 AM4/25/10
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:

Rick will be happy. Oh wait, he was trying to be smart and got another
slap in the chops!

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 10:51:56 AM4/25/10

Or maybe it means that the others are still playing catch up in the app
store business....

--
Rick

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 10:53:23 AM4/25/10

The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on iPhone
apps.

--
Rick

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 10:55:24 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnQpygYCRyknW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

Probably a bit of that. But with open apps, isn't that always going to
be a bit of an issue?

--
Lloyd

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 10:56:20 AM4/25/10

The concept of actually owning consumer products is fading fast.

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 10:56:35 AM4/25/10

"Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:44:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>

> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on iPhone
> apps.

And so do the 8.75 million people who bought an iPhone during the past 13
weeks. All of these millions of people seem to get by just fine with this
bottleneck that you, 7 and Schestowitz seem so worried about.

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 10:56:53 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnQVygYD-yknW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

A 200K+ and counting bottleneck? :)

--
Lloyd

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 10:59:58 AM4/25/10

... or maybe there is a group of people that share overlapping similar
views...

--
Rick

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 10:58:51 AM4/25/10
"Ezekiel" <M...@Not-there.com> writes:

Least of all closed source Windows developer Chris who called him
(jesper) a fuckhead "as I recall".

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 10:57:16 AM4/25/10
Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> writes:

Of course you agree. You would agree if Peter told you his shit was pink
even though your nose is so buried up his backdoor you can see for
yourself it's not.

As someone who shills Roy's garbage more than most it is quite obvious
you take your lead from your Master Roy.

Heel Liarmutt! Heel!

<Roy flips Liarmutt another doggy drop>

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 10:45:50 AM4/25/10
"Ezekiel" <M...@Not-there.com> writes:

Well, creepy Chris Ahlstrom is currently shilling those beliefs. OK, its
because he jacks off when Peter gives him a pat but it's still quite
sickening to see.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:06:39 AM4/25/10
Hadron stated in post 531ea7-...@news.eternal-september.org on 4/25/10
7:44 AM:

Wait... maybe Rick is against Linux repositories, too. :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

MuahMan

Apr 25, 2010, 11:06:46 AM4/25/10
On Apr 22, 2:03 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article <DZ%zn.135706$ao7.63...@newsfe21.iad>,
>  "Rotten Apple" <rot...@pple.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iph...
>
> And the relevance of a review of the iPhone as it was on opening day
> is... ...what?
>
> --
> "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
> "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
> "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
> '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
> 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
> IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
> 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
> on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

How completely shitty Apple first gen products are. A turd was a
better phone than the 1st gen iPhone.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:08:14 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQVygYD-yknW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 7:53 AM:

If you *really* thought so you would explain your "advanced" understanding.
But you will not. Since you show now sign of believing you are right, why
should anyone else?

Face it: not even in your response to this will you try to explain this
"advanced" understanding of yours. You just will not. You are very
predictable.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

MuahMan

Apr 25, 2010, 11:08:29 AM4/25/10
On Apr 24, 9:50 pm, Nick Ballard <nrball...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rotten Apple wrote:
> >http://www.appleiphonereview.com/reviews/25-things-wrong-with-the-iph...

> There are more long-standing issues:
>
>     * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> everyone's phones.
>      * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> (DRM) technology.
>      * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> track you without your knowledge.
>      * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> and Theora.
>      * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on
> the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media
> formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.
>
> "This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.
>
> . . .
>
> There is a reason so much emphasis was put on the visual design of the
> iPhone. There is a reason that Apple is so concerned about unsightly
> seams that they won't even let you change the battery in your own phone.
>
> Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is
> manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of
> an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly
> chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position
> Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for
> the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel
> luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g

Well said. The Mactards will only be able to LOL or make personal
attacks after reading this one.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:09:42 AM4/25/10
Lloyd Parsons stated in post
lloydparsons-2AB5...@news.eternal-september.org on 4/25/10
7:56 AM:

How many apps does, say, Ubuntu offer in its repositories?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Chris Ahlstrom

Apr 25, 2010, 11:09:55 AM4/25/10
Ezekiel pulled this Usenet boner:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I quite agree that claiming Roy has even a scintilla of influence over
>> what we choose to post is idiotic.
>
> Then it must be one BIG coincidence that COLA advocates are in lock-step and
> all just happen to have the exact same view as Schestowitz on Miguel de
> Icaza, iPhones, iPods, music and film copyrights, etc, etc.

You're being silly. While some of us may have some views that overlap with
Roy's, to call it "lock-step" is just balderdash, the kind of trolling
nonsense that loonies like Larry Hadron spout.

> And when Jesper Lund Stocholm posted here before the ODF/OOXML vote in
> Stockholm it was Schestowitz that lead the charge attacking him and not
> one single advocate dared say otherwise.

===================

<laughter>

You seem to have a very high opinion of Roy.

There are a lot of different reasons why someone might not respond to any
given thread.

--
You'll be sorry...

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:10:40 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQdygYBzxUnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 7:59 AM:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:43:36 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message

>>> Peter K�hlmann pulled this Usenet boner:

>>> I quite agree that claiming Roy has even a scintilla of influence over
>>> what
>>> we choose to post is idiotic.
>>
>> Then it must be one BIG coincidence that COLA advocates are in lock-step
>> and all just happen to have the exact same view as Schestowitz on Miguel
>> de Icaza, iPhones, iPods, music and film copyrights, etc, etc. And when
>> Jesper Lund Stocholm posted here before the ODF/OOXML vote in Stockholm
>> it was Schestowitz that lead the charge attacking him and not one single
>> advocate dared say otherwise.
>
> ... or maybe there is a group of people that share overlapping similar
> views...

You clearly hold many of your views based on herd mentality... if you did
not, you would be able to defend and explain your comments. You cannot.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 11:04:43 AM4/25/10
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> writes:

Say what? Have you been talking bullshit lessons from Jed and Ahlstrom?

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 11:03:47 AM4/25/10
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> writes:

You failed to grasp that nearly all the good SW for the iPhone is
written by users and to match their needs. Nothing is forced on
anyone. Come on Rick, grow up and smell the coffee for once in your
life.

Go and wipe that egg off your face, sit down, think about it and come
back a better and stronger person.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:11:33 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQRygYCJxUnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 7:56 AM:

>>> So, was the app restored because it wasn't so objectionable after all,

>>> or because Apple got bad press from denying the Pulitzer winner?(snip)
>>
>> "The Steve" had so much egg on the face, he needed something to hide his
>> blatant dictatorship
>>
>> That guy should instead write every day some high profile article why
>> apple should be removed from this earth. No private compny should *ever*
>> have the right to decide what kind of information its customers can or
>> can't access with their paid for gadgets
>
> The concept of actually owning consumer products is fading fast.

Some us still have that concept!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 11:12:03 AM4/25/10
In article <C7F9A946.6E0AC%use...@gallopinginsanity.com>,
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

I dunno, but it doesn't have one for Netflix... :)

--
Lloyd

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:12:26 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQpygYCRyknW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 7:51 AM:

Good to see you acknowledge Apple is ahead with its distribution system.
The very one you put down.

LOL!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:12:32 AM4/25/10

Possibly. After all, Apple, with OS X's OSS underpinnings is alway
chasing closed source Windows, right?

--
Rick

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:16:08 AM4/25/10

And then there are millions that are not fine with it. And, just because
people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.

I'm not worried about it. As I said, when prices on the Droid, or similar
device, come down, and I can use it on Verizon, I'll get one and use it
instead of my Palm TX and cell phone, and, in some cases, my netbook.

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 11:16:39 AM4/25/10

> Ezekiel pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I quite agree that claiming Roy has even a scintilla of influence over
>>> what we choose to post is idiotic.
>>
>> Then it must be one BIG coincidence that COLA advocates are in lock-step
>> and
>> all just happen to have the exact same view as Schestowitz on Miguel de
>> Icaza, iPhones, iPods, music and film copyrights, etc, etc.
>
> You're being silly. While some of us may have some views that overlap
> with
> Roy's, to call it "lock-step" is just balderdash, the kind of trolling
> nonsense that loonies like Larry Hadron spout.

"trolling and nonsense" just like "Larry" Hadron spout. Clearly you see the
irony in this statement.

And this "Larry Hadron" is a perfect example of the herd mentality that
prevails here in COLA. Some moron makes some random and unsubstantiated
claim and everyone else blindly follows along.

>> And when Jesper Lund Stocholm posted here before the ODF/OOXML vote in
>> Stockholm it was Schestowitz that lead the charge attacking him and not
>> one single advocate dared say otherwise.
> ===================
>
> <laughter>
>
> You seem to have a very high opinion of Roy.

Certainly not. It's that I have a low opinion when it comes to COLA
behavior.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:16:54 AM4/25/10
Hadron stated in post m72ea7-...@news.eternal-september.org on 4/25/10
8:03 AM:

>>> Rick will be happy. Oh wait, he was trying to be smart and got another
>>> slap in the chops!
>>
>> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on iPhone
>> apps.
>
> You failed to grasp that nearly all the good SW for the iPhone is
> written by users and to match their needs. Nothing is forced on
> anyone. Come on Rick, grow up and smell the coffee for once in your
> life.
>
> Go and wipe that egg off your face, sit down, think about it and come
> back a better and stronger person.

Well, there are handful of apps that users do not have access to... unless
they go outside of what is officially provided. On desktop Linux, though,
users do not have access to some of the *biggies* of the home computing
software industry: Adobe's Creative Suite, MS Office, iLife, etc.

Rick, though, has a double standard - he does not acknowledge the weakness
this is on desktop Linux... but whines about it on iPhone OS.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:17:09 AM4/25/10

Funny. We are talking about 2 different things, and you know it. The
bottle neck is the single source for iPhone apps.

--
Rick

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:17:58 AM4/25/10
Lloyd Parsons stated in post
lloydparsons-6CD0...@news.eternal-september.org on 4/25/10
8:12 AM:

>>> A 200K+ and counting bottleneck? :)
>>
>> How many apps does, say, Ubuntu offer in its repositories?
>
> I dunno, but it doesn't have one for Netflix... :)

Rick simply ignores the many, many apps that are not available for desktop
Linux... while focusing on the handful of apps not available for iPhone OS.

A clear double standard on his part.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:20:55 AM4/25/10

What?

> Have you been talking bullshit lessons from Jed and Ahlstrom?

What?

--
Rick

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:21:31 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQNygYBowUnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:17 AM:

>>> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on
>>> iPhone apps.
>>
>> A 200K+ and counting bottleneck? :)
>
> Funny. We are talking about 2 different things, and you know it. The
> bottle neck is the single source for iPhone apps.

Rick: you miss the point. You are claiming that it is a bottleneck, but you
*also* have acknowledged that Apple's distribution system is ahead of other
smart phone distribution systems: you talked about how others are still
"catching up" to Apple here.

So, sure, there may be *theoretical* better distribution systems... but none
exist. In other words, the bottle neck you are complaining about is mostly
theoretical.

But the lack of apps on desktop Linux is clear and obvious: even such things
as the Adobe Creative Suite (and the consumer versions), MS Office, iLife
and other commonly used applications are simply not made for Linux.

But when faced with this lacking on of the desktop Linux ecosystem, you
ignore it and focus on MS. Completely hypocritical of you.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

ZnU

Apr 25, 2010, 11:21:42 AM4/25/10
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 03:54:48 -0400, ZnU wrote:
>
> > In article <q74da7-...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Hadron<hadro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> iphone/

> >> Wrong. They pay a % for the promotion and distribution of their app. As
> >> is only right.

> > I love all the people complaining about App Store terms on behalf of
> > developers. Pretty much anyone who has ever tried to sell
> > self-distributed software -- or even really thought about what's
> > involved -- is going to realize that the 30% Apple is asking for is an
> > absolute bargain, when you consider they save you the trouble of
> > implementing billing, fulfillment, installation, updating, and copy
> > protection. Plus the App Store makes it much easier for people to
> > discover your app.
> >
> > These are all really annoying problems for one-man bands and small indie
> > shops, which would, in general, really rather concentrate on writing
> > great software than on processing credit cards and chasing down pirate
> > serial numbers.
> >
> > Of course from the perspective of some free software advocates, it's not
> > actually a good thing that Apple is making it easier for developers to
> > make money selling software, and an indie developer who writes a great
> > app is doing something immoral if he wants to charge a couple of bucks
> > for it instead of giving it away free with source code.
> >
> > [snip]
>
> And.. of course, users are able to obtain easily installable software
> from a wide range of vendors, besides Apple...

Yeah, the mainstream market just doesn't care that much.

You guys see a lot of things, like access to source code, the existence
of a multi-vendor hardware platform, or the availability of apps from
multiple sources, as being ends-in-themselves. Most people see these
things as being merely instrumental... and find that they aren't
actually all that useful a lot of the time.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:23:01 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnQBygYAlwUnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:16 AM:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:56:35 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:44:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>>>

>>> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on
>>> iPhone apps.
>>
>> And so do the 8.75 million people who bought an iPhone during the past
>> 13 weeks. All of these millions of people seem to get by just fine with
>> this bottleneck that you, 7 and Schestowitz seem so worried about.
>
> And then there are millions that are not fine with it. And, just because
> people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.

Please name any smart phone that has consumer satisfaction ratings even
close to the iPhone... say within 20%

> I'm not worried about it. As I said, when prices on the Droid, or similar
> device, come down, and I can use it on Verizon, I'll get one and use it
> instead of my Palm TX and cell phone, and, in some cases, my netbook.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:23:42 AM4/25/10

Another Snit lie.

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 11:24:19 AM4/25/10

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:56:35 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:44:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>>>

>>> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on
>>> iPhone apps.
>>
>> And so do the 8.75 million people who bought an iPhone during the past
>> 13 weeks. All of these millions of people seem to get by just fine with
>> this bottleneck that you, 7 and Schestowitz seem so worried about.
>
> And then there are millions that are not fine with it. And, just because
> people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.

Do you have any evidence that there are millions that are not fine with
this? Hint... just because someone doesn't buy an iPhone doesn't mean that
they have some objection to the app-store.

> I'm not worried about it. As I said, when prices on the Droid, or similar
> device, come down, and I can use it on Verizon, I'll get one and use it
> instead of my Palm TX and cell phone, and, in some cases, my netbook.

Sounds like the person who is waiting forever for the price of a computers
to go down some more before they buy one.

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:24:29 AM4/25/10

Were is the credible competitor to the iPhone app store?

--
Rick

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 11:25:04 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnQFygYB9xknW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

Chasing windows? LOL!!

I don't think Apple would want the market that Windows has to deal with.
They are too busy counting the really new stuff they make, and of
course, counting all the bucks they are making doing it.

--
Lloyd

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:25:25 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnT1ygYBKwEnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:20 AM:

>>> The concept of actually owning consumer products is fading fast.
>>
>> Say what?
>
> What?
>
>> Have you been talking bullshit lessons from Jed and Ahlstrom?
>
> What?

Let me make it more clear to you, Rick: You made a claim:

The concept of actually owning consumer products is
fading fast.

Many of us, though, still very much have that concept. Just because you
might be losing it (and I do not doubt you are), does not mean others are.

But let me give you a chance to explain and defend your comment. Not that
you will... but your running will just make it that much more clear you have
no idea what you are talking about.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:26:48 AM4/25/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:25:04 -0500, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

> In article <FPGdnQFygYB9xknW...@supernews.com>,
> Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:55:24 -0500, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

>> > Probably a bit of that. But with open apps, isn't that always going
>> > to be a bit of an issue?
>>
>> Possibly. After all, Apple, with OS X's OSS underpinnings is alway
>> chasing closed source Windows, right?
>
> Chasing windows? LOL!!

Exactly.

> I don't think Apple would want the market that Windows has to deal with.

That would be the rank and file, average computer user?

> They are too busy counting the really new stuff they make, and of
> course, counting all the bucks they are making doing it.

--
Rick

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:27:00 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnT9ygYAww0nW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:24 AM:

>>> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on
>>> iPhone apps.
>>
>> You failed to grasp that nearly all the good SW for the iPhone is
>> written by users and to match their needs. Nothing is forced on anyone.
>> Come on Rick, grow up and smell the coffee for once in your life.
>>
>> Go and wipe that egg off your face, sit down, think about it and come
>> back a better and stronger person.
>
> Were is the credible competitor to the iPhone app store?

There have been many other stores... but, as you make it clear you
understand, none have been as effective.

But yet you whine. But you do not whine about how many apps are not
available for desktop Linux.

Which shows your bias.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:27:56 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnTxygYDjw0nW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:23 AM:

If you *really* thought so you would explain where my comments are wrong.
But you will not. Once again I talk about Linux and OSS... and you run,
just making accusations.

Notice how easy it is to show your avoidance of talking about Linux and OSS?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 11:29:47 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnT5ygYClwknW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

No that would be the run my OS on any old piece of shit market place!

--
Lloyd

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 11:25:11 AM4/25/10
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:

> Hadron stated in post 531ea7-...@news.eternal-september.org on 4/25/10
> 7:44 AM:

>> Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:
>>
>>> Rick stated in post FPGdnQ1ygYABo0nW...@supernews.com on
>>> 4/25/10 6:07 AM:

>>> Absolutely... Apple does not write even 1% of the apps available for iPhone
>>> OS.
>>

>> Rick will be happy. Oh wait, he was trying to be smart and got another
>> slap in the chops!
>

> Wait... maybe Rick is against Linux repositories, too. :)

What with all that free SW from 3rd parties? I guess he must be.

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:31:22 AM4/25/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:24:19 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:56:35 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

>>> And so do the 8.75 million people who bought an iPhone during the past
>>> 13 weeks. All of these millions of people seem to get by just fine
>>> with this bottleneck that you, 7 and Schestowitz seem so worried
>>> about.
>>
>> And then there are millions that are not fine with it. And, just
>> because people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.
>
> Do you have any evidence that there are millions that are not fine with
> this? Hint... just because someone doesn't buy an iPhone doesn't mean
> that they have some objection to the app-store.

Hint: how can they be fine with it if they haven't used it?

>> I'm not worried about it. As I said, when prices on the Droid, or
>> similar device, come down, and I can use it on Verizon, I'll get one
>> and use it instead of my Palm TX and cell phone, and, in some cases, my
>> netbook.
>
> Sounds like the person who is waiting forever for the price of a
> computers to go down some more before they buy one.

Not really. The TX is only recently getting a little "long in the tooth".
Yes, I am waiting for the price to come down a little, but that is to
avoid the required data plan. If there was a Droid type device on
Verizon, AND I didn't have to buy a data plan, I'd probably renew my
contract. OR.. if some of the other carriers had as good coverage as
Verizon, AND I didn't have to buy a data plan, I might go with one of
them.

--
Rick

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:34:22 AM4/25/10

If they had allowed that around 10 years ago (leaving out the piece of
shit insult), I might still be using OS X now, instead of moving to,
then, LinuxPPC.

--
Rick

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 11:35:27 AM4/25/10

You guess wrong. Not surprising.

--
Rick

Lloyd Parsons

Apr 25, 2010, 11:42:19 AM4/25/10
In article <FPGdnThygYBj_UnW...@supernews.com>,
Rick <no...@mail.invalid> wrote:

But if they had done that, OSX wouldn't be as good as it is. The
controlled hardware environment has both good and bad about it, you
know. The good is that things work like they are supposed to with
minimal issues, the bad is that the prices tend higher.

Of course, you get a pretty damn good box for that bit higher price, so
even the bad isn't bad at all.

That said, if I was wanting to do some programming or delve into the
guts of the OS, apps and hardware, I would probably be on Linux. But
those things don't interest me much these days, so OSX does the job
better for me.

But I do have a netbook with UNR, and HP Touchsmart with W7 and a few
other boxes around the house...

--
Lloyd

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 11:31:20 AM4/25/10
"Ezekiel" <M...@Not-there.com> writes:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message
>> Ezekiel pulled this Usenet boner:
>>
>>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message

>>> Then it must be one BIG coincidence that COLA advocates are in lock-step
>>> and
>>> all just happen to have the exact same view as Schestowitz on Miguel de
>>> Icaza, iPhones, iPods, music and film copyrights, etc, etc.
>>
>> You're being silly. While some of us may have some views that overlap
>> with
>> Roy's, to call it "lock-step" is just balderdash, the kind of trolling
>> nonsense that loonies like Larry Hadron spout.
>
> "trolling and nonsense" just like "Larry" Hadron spout. Clearly you see the
> irony in this statement.
>
> And this "Larry Hadron" is a perfect example of the herd mentality that
> prevails here in COLA. Some moron makes some random and unsubstantiated
> claim and everyone else blindly follows along.

And Creepy can't see it. He is proving the opposite of his claims with
the very statements meant to disprove it! Poor old Creepy. He's really
in above his head.

>>> And when Jesper Lund Stocholm posted here before the ODF/OOXML vote in
>>> Stockholm it was Schestowitz that lead the charge attacking him and not
>>> one single advocate dared say otherwise.
>> ===================
>>
>> <laughter>
>>
>> You seem to have a very high opinion of Roy.
>
> Certainly not. It's that I have a low opinion when it comes to COLA
> behavior.

And rightly so. Also remember that Creepy claimed that he was not
interested in and would not read any of Roy's stuff outside of COLA
even if the link proved him to be a lying fraud. Creepy would still
shill and support him here. Disgusting behaviour for a grown man who
claims to developer SW for Windows.

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 11:45:52 AM4/25/10

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:24:19 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

>>> And then there are millions that are not fine with it. And, just
>>> because people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.
>>
>> Do you have any evidence that there are millions that are not fine with
>> this? Hint... just because someone doesn't buy an iPhone doesn't mean
>> that they have some objection to the app-store.
>
> Hint: how can they be fine with it if they haven't used it?

What on earth are you talking about Rick? There *are* millions of people
who DO use the Apple app store. You just claimed that "there are millions
that are not fine with it." so let's see some proof of your claim. Quit the
stupid word games and backup your claim. You said "And there are millions
that are not fine with it." - so back up your claim.

>>> I'm not worried about it. As I said, when prices on the Droid, or
>>> similar device, come down, and I can use it on Verizon, I'll get one
>>> and use it instead of my Palm TX and cell phone, and, in some cases, my
>>> netbook.
>>
>> Sounds like the person who is waiting forever for the price of a
>> computers to go down some more before they buy one.
>
> Not really. The TX is only recently getting a little "long in the tooth".
> Yes, I am waiting for the price to come down a little, but that is to
> avoid the required data plan. If there was a Droid type device on
> Verizon, AND I didn't have to buy a data plan, I'd probably renew my
> contract. OR.. if some of the other carriers had as good coverage as
> Verizon, AND I didn't have to buy a data plan, I might go with one of
> them.

I don't see cell phone data plans being free anytime soon. So if you're
waiting for Droid prices to come down AND not having to buy a data plan then
you'll be waiting a long, long, long time.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:52:24 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnTtygYCi_EnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:35 AM:

So explain yourself so people are not left guessing.

As if you could!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:53:28 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnThygYBj_UnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:34 AM:

>>> That would be the rank and file, average computer user?
>>>
>> No that would be the run my OS on any old piece of shit market place!
>
> If they had allowed that around 10 years ago (leaving out the piece of
> shit insult), I might still be using OS X now, instead of moving to,
> then, LinuxPPC.

Apple mourns the loss of you as a customer.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 11:54:14 AM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnTlygYDX_UnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:31 AM:

>>> And then there are millions that are not fine with it. And, just
>>> because people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.
>>
>> Do you have any evidence that there are millions that are not fine with
>> this? Hint... just because someone doesn't buy an iPhone doesn't mean
>> that they have some objection to the app-store.
>
> Hint: how can they be fine with it if they haven't used it?

Why would they not be fine with it if they have not used it? Really... you
imply they would not be... but that is just silly.

[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 12:19:39 PM4/25/10

Possibly.

> controlled hardware environment has both good and bad about it, you
> know. The good is that things work like they are supposed to with
> minimal issues, the bad is that the prices tend higher.

They could have just put a disclaimer on the box they didn't provide
"free" suport with installation on non-Apple hardware.

> Of course, you get a pretty damn good box for that bit higher price, so
> even the bad isn't bad at all.

I have a pretty good box right now.

> That said, if I was wanting to do some programming or delve into the
> guts of the OS, apps and hardware, I would probably be on Linux. But
> those things don't interest me much these days, so OSX does the job
> better for me.

And I don't have a problem with that. Apple computers did the job better
for me, too, until I started using Linux systems.

> But I do have a netbook with UNR, and HP Touchsmart with W7 and a few
> other boxes around the house...

I do like Ubuntu Remix :-)

--
Rick

KDT

Apr 25, 2010, 12:20:27 PM4/25/10
On Apr 25, 10:51 am, Rick <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:55:33 -0700, KDT wrote:
> > On Apr 25, 9:07 am, Rick <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> And.. of course, users are able to obtain easily installable software
> >> from a wide range of vendors, besides Apple...
>
> > But yet and still, with only 20% of the smart phone market and an even
> > smaller share of the mobile market in general, 99,4% of all mobile app
> > sales go through the Apple store.  So maybe all of those other means of
> > distribution are not as efficient?
>
> Or maybe it means that the others are still playing catch up in the app
> store business....
>
> --
> Rick

So the app store came out in 2008. How long have Windows Mobile
phones and BlackBerry's been available? Not to mention dumb phones
capable of running J2ME apps.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 12:21:17 PM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnT5ygYClwknW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 8:26 AM:

>> I don't think Apple would want the market that Windows has to deal with.
>
> That would be the rank and file, average computer user?

As you have been told repeatedly, almost all Macs are in the $1000 range.
This is not the norm for the home computing industry. Apple is not chasing
every customer.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 12:22:28 PM4/25/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:45:52 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:24:19 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Do you have any evidence that there are millions that are not fine
>>> with this? Hint... just because someone doesn't buy an iPhone doesn't
>>> mean that they have some objection to the app-store.
>>
>> Hint: how can they be fine with it if they haven't used it?
>
> What on earth are you talking about Rick? There *are* millions of
> people who DO use the Apple app store.

There are billions that don't.

> You just claimed that "there are
> millions that are not fine with it."

As there are.

> so let's see some proof of your
> claim. Quit the stupid word games and backup your claim. You said "And
> there are millions that are not fine with it." - so back up your
> claim.

Fine. How can you be fine with a product if you don't use it?

>>> Sounds like the person who is waiting forever for the price of a
>>> computers to go down some more before they buy one.
>>
>> Not really. The TX is only recently getting a little "long in the
>> tooth". Yes, I am waiting for the price to come down a little, but that
>> is to avoid the required data plan. If there was a Droid type device on
>> Verizon, AND I didn't have to buy a data plan, I'd probably renew my
>> contract. OR.. if some of the other carriers had as good coverage as
>> Verizon, AND I didn't have to buy a data plan, I might go with one of
>> them.
>
> I don't see cell phone data plans being free anytime soon. So if you're
> waiting for Droid prices to come down AND not having to buy a data plan
> then you'll be waiting a long, long, long time.

That depends on how long it takes to get Droid-ish phones down to my
price level. If I don't renew my plan, only changing phones, I highly
doubt I'll have to purchase a data plan.

--
Rick

KDT

Apr 25, 2010, 12:24:57 PM4/25/10
On Apr 25, 11:16 am, Rick <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:56:35 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
> > "Rick" <n...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

> >> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:44:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
> >> The both of you fail to grasp the point of the Apple bottleneck on
> >> iPhone apps.
>
> > And so do the 8.75 million people who bought an iPhone during the past
> > 13 weeks.  All of these millions of people seem to get by just fine with
> > this bottleneck that you, 7 and Schestowitz seem so worried about.
>
> And then there are millions that are not fine with it

I'm sure Apple wishes it could capture the 0.6% of the mobile app
market that it doesn't already have.....

>And, just because
> people put up with it does not mean they are fine with it.

> I'm not worried about it. As I said, when prices on the Droid, or similar
> device, come down, and I can use it on Verizon, I'll get one and use it
> instead of my Palm TX and cell phone, and, in some cases, my netbook.

You mean the phone based on the mobile OS that does not allow you to
install apps on external storage? You have to install all apps on the
limited internal memory. That's Google's form of DRM.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 12:25:41 PM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnTVygYDZ8UnW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 9:22 AM:

>>> Hint: how can they be fine with it if they haven't used it?
>>
>> What on earth are you talking about Rick? There *are* millions of
>> people who DO use the Apple app store.
>
> There are billions that don't.
>
>> You just claimed that "there are
>> millions that are not fine with it."
>
> As there are.

Please show support for this.

As if!

>> so let's see some proof of your
>> claim. Quit the stupid word games and backup your claim. You said "And
>> there are millions that are not fine with it." - so back up your
>> claim.
>
> Fine. How can you be fine with a product if you don't use it?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 12:26:13 PM4/25/10

"Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Prove it. Show something to backup your claim. Just because some anonymous
usenet poster going by "Rick" makes this claim means nothing. Show some sort
of evidence that shows that there is a meaningful number of people out there
("millions") that are not happy with the app store.

Or you can continue playing your cowardly word games.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 12:27:03 PM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnTpygYAG9knW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 9:19 AM:

>>> If they had allowed that around 10 years ago (leaving out the piece of
>>> shit insult), I might still be using OS X now, instead of moving to,
>>> then, LinuxPPC.
>>
>> But if they had done that, OSX wouldn't be as good as it is. The
>
> Possibly.
>
>> controlled hardware environment has both good and bad about it, you
>> know. The good is that things work like they are supposed to with
>> minimal issues, the bad is that the prices tend higher.
>
> They could have just put a disclaimer on the box they didn't provide
> "free" suport with installation on non-Apple hardware.

They do not support it *at all*. Not just not for free.

>> Of course, you get a pretty damn good box for that bit higher price, so
>> even the bad isn't bad at all.
>
> I have a pretty good box right now.
>

>> That said, if I was wanting to do some programming or delve into the
>> guts of the OS, apps and hardware, I would probably be on Linux. But
>> those things don't interest me much these days, so OSX does the job
>> better for me.
>
> And I don't have a problem with that. Apple computers did the job better
> for me, too, until I started using Linux systems.

Curious: what does Linux do better for you?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Tim Smith

Apr 25, 2010, 2:24:22 PM4/25/10
In article <kdNAn.276536$wr5.2...@newsfe22.iad>,
Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> everyone's phones.

There's plenty of GPL software on the App Store.

> * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> (DRM) technology.

So does Android.

> * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> track you without your knowledge.

No more than any other phone. It's inherent in cell phones that you can
be tracked by the phone company. If you mean by random apps you install,
you get a modal dialog when they try to use location services that asks
if you want to give them permission.

> * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> and Theora.

WAV and AIFF, both patent-free and DRM-free.

> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g

Ahh...that explains why there are so many errors in that list.

--
--Tim Smith

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 2:32:17 PM4/25/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:27:03 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Rick stated in post FPGdnTpygYAG9knW...@supernews.com on
> 4/25/10 9:19 AM:

>>> But if they had done that, OSX wouldn't be as good as it is. The
>>
>> Possibly.
>>
>>> controlled hardware environment has both good and bad about it, you
>>> know. The good is that things work like they are supposed to with
>>> minimal issues, the bad is that the prices tend higher.
>>
>> They could have just put a disclaimer on the box they didn't provide
>> "free" suport with installation on non-Apple hardware.
>
> They do not support it *at all*. Not just not for free.

No duh. As I said, IF they had allowed running OS X on non-Apple boxes, I
Mioght still be running OS X.

>>> Of course, you get a pretty damn good box for that bit higher price,
>>> so even the bad isn't bad at all.
>>
>> I have a pretty good box right now.
>>

>>> That said, if I was wanting to do some programming or delve into the
>>> guts of the OS, apps and hardware, I would probably be on Linux. But
>>> those things don't interest me much these days, so OSX does the job
>>> better for me.
>>
>> And I don't have a problem with that. Apple computers did the job
>> better for me, too, until I started using Linux systems.
>
> Curious: what does Linux do better for you?

At the time, LinuxPPC supported all of the hardware I was using. OS X did
not.

--
Rick

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 2:34:24 PM4/25/10

AGAIN, how can you be fine with something that you don't know exists,
much less use?

--
Rick

Hadron

Apr 25, 2010, 2:32:59 PM4/25/10
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

Almost painful to watch another "advocate" lie compilation get dissected
and heaved back into the stifling miasma from which it was gathered.

"Advocates" : TRY to be honest. And Nick - making things up, being
ignorant and telling lies is no way to go through life son. There are
far too many people who like the facts and the truth and who simply
won't let the likes of you, Rexx and Ahlstrom go about gaily telling
porkies to try and impress the other "advocates".

ZnU

Apr 25, 2010, 2:48:44 PM4/25/10
In article <reply_in_group-CC3...@news.supernews.com>,
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> In article <kdNAn.276536$wr5.2...@newsfe22.iad>,
> Nick Ballard <nrba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > * iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax
> > to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on
> > everyone's phones.
>
> There's plenty of GPL software on the App Store.
>
> > * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management
> > (DRM) technology.
>
> So does Android.
>

> > * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to
> > track you without your knowledge.
>
> No more than any other phone. It's inherent in cell phones that you can
> be tracked by the phone company. If you mean by random apps you install,
> you get a modal dialog when they try to use location services that asks
> if you want to give them permission.

Even Apple apps need permission. And there's an option in the Settings
app to turn off location services on a system-wide basis as well.

> > * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis
> > and Theora.
>
> WAV and AIFF, both patent-free and DRM-free.

> > http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g
>
> Ahh...that explains why there are so many errors in that list.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 3:00:08 PM4/25/10

"Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Translation - You can not back up your claim of "And then there are millions
that are not fine with it." at all. Not a single iota of substance to backup
your claim. Exactly as I expected.

Done with your childish word games. Next you'll be telling people how Hans
Reiser knew where his wife's body was because "maybe he saw someone else
putting it there." - Oh wait... you already did.

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 3:50:09 PM4/25/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:00:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:26:13 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>>

>>> Prove it. Show something to backup your claim. Just because some
>>> anonymous usenet poster going by "Rick" makes this claim means
>>> nothing. Show some sort of evidence that shows that there is a
>>> meaningful number of people out there ("millions") that are not happy
>>> with the app store.
>>>
>>> Or you can continue playing your cowardly word games.
>>
>> AGAIN, how can you be fine with something that you don't know exists,
>> much less use?
>
> Translation - You can not back up your claim of "And then there are
> millions that are not fine with it." at all. Not a single iota of
> substance to backup your claim. Exactly as I expected.

Translation: you cannot understand plain English.

Here's something else for you. Someone can be "not fine with something"
and not know anything about it. If they don't know anything about it, how
can they be fine with it?

> Done with your childish word games.

Learn to read.

> Next you'll be telling people how
> Hans Reiser knew where his wife's body was because "maybe he saw someone
> else putting it there." - Oh wait... you already did.

Yes, I did say that. And, at the time I said it, it could have been
possible.

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 4:53:21 PM4/25/10

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:00:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

>>> AGAIN, how can you be fine with something that you don't know exists,
>>> much less use?
>>
>> Translation - You can not back up your claim of "And then there are
>> millions that are not fine with it." at all. Not a single iota of
>> substance to backup your claim. Exactly as I expected.
>
> Translation: you cannot understand plain English.

Translation - YOU cannot understand plain English. I asked a simple question
so try answering the question.

--- "And then there are millions that are not fine with it."

Did you say this or not? And if you did not make this claim then who did?

If you are the one who wrote this then back it up. Simple English... you
made a claim, back it up. Show something to support what you wrote.

Simple English - back up your claim.

> Here's something else for you. Someone can be "not fine with something"
> and not know anything about it. If they don't know anything about it, how
> can they be fine with it?
>

>> Done with your childish word games.
>
> Learn to read.

If that's the way you write - (someone can be "not fine with something" and
not know....) then it's no wonder people can't figure out what you're trying
to say. Try English sometime. It's remarkable how many people can't figure
out what you're trying to say.

So does asking this remarkably poorly worded question somehow backup your
claim?

>> Next you'll be telling people how
>> Hans Reiser knew where his wife's body was because "maybe he saw someone
>> else putting it there." - Oh wait... you already did.
>
> Yes, I did say that. And, at the time I said it, it could have been
> possible.

Only "possible" in the mind of a complete idiot. Any normal man, women or
child would laugh at the stupidity of such a ridiculous claim.

Rick

Apr 25, 2010, 4:57:04 PM4/25/10

(snip)

An extreme example: Oh, look, an native of the deep Amazon. well, Zeke,
can you tell us, is he fine with the iPhone store?

--
Rick

Ezekiel

Apr 25, 2010, 5:04:56 PM4/25/10

"Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Is this how poor your grasp of the English language and logic is? The only
way you can prove the pathetic point that you're trying to make is to use
some native of the African Amazon as a case that they don't like the iPhone
store? Hey... how about the possibility of intelligent life on Nebulon-12,
they don't know about the app store either.

Non-morons would implicitly assume that the "people" we're talking about
here are actual people who are relevant to the subject being discussed. Not
some asinine ridiculous example of people who live in grass huts in the
jungle.

Obviously I was expecting too much from you.

Snit

Apr 25, 2010, 5:40:11 PM4/25/10
Rick stated in post FPGdnTRygYAsF0nW...@supernews.com on
4/25/10 11:32 AM:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:27:03 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> Rick stated in post FPGdnTpygYAG9knW...@supernews.com on
>> 4/25/10 9:19 AM:

>>> Possibly.

>>> They could have just put a disclaimer on the box they didn't provide
>>> "free" suport with installation on non-Apple hardware.
>>
>> They do not support it *at all*. Not just not for free.
>
> No duh. As I said, IF they had allowed running OS X on non-Apple boxes, I
> Mioght still be running OS X.

Ah, so it was not the OS that made you move. OK.

It is loading more messages.