VISTA TCP/IP stack buffer overflow

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 23, 2008, 11:54:25 AM11/23/08
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471

Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
--
Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

7

Nov 23, 2008, 12:40:27 PM11/23/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

Serves them right for being BSD Pirates ;)

DFS

Nov 23, 2008, 12:48:06 PM11/23/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

Which is why the Linux/OSS "community" is busy releasing new distros every
day.

Cork Soaker

Nov 23, 2008, 1:07:24 PM11/23/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

Which linux distro are you advocating here?

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 23, 2008, 1:40:10 PM11/23/08
After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

This issue did not occur on Windows XP.

Installation of Service Pack 1 and/or security updates had no effect in
regards to resolve the random crashes.

To execute either the sample program or the route-add command, the user
has to be member of the Network Configuration Operators group or the
Administrators group.

Since this buffer overflow overwrites kernel memory, it could be possible
that members of the Network Configuration Operator group exploit this and
take control over the operating system without any restriction.

Not much impact, though:

Impact
-----------------------------
1. When adding a route entry to the IPv4 routing table using the method
CreateIpForwardEntry2 and passing an illegal value greater than 32 [2]
for the destination PrefixLength member in the DestinationPrefix
structure contained in the MIB_IPFORWARD_ROW2 structure [3], kernel
space memory is being corrupted resulting in random blue screen
crashes. ...

In other words, a SNAFU <chuckle>.

This impact is worse, though:

2. In addition we were able to reproduce this issue without the sample
program, using the built in "route add" command. It seems the "route-add"
uses the same method as our sample program, hence creates the same buffer
overflow when calling it with an illegal value for the network mask. The
syntax we used in the command line is as follows:

route add 1.2.3.4/240 4.3.2.1

This buffer overflow could be exploited to inject code, hence
compromising client security.

Ay yi yi.

What does that command do on Linux?

# route add 1.2.3.4/240 4.3.2.1
route: netmask 0000ffff doesn't make sense with host route
Usage: route [-nNvee] [-FC] [<AF>] List kernel routing tables
. . .

--
<rebelpacket> hey, quick question, is there any way to speed up the
performance of uquake-x11?

Tony Manco

Nov 23, 2008, 3:55:56 PM11/23/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

And what is the best part?

#########

===================================
Kernel vulnerability found in Vista
===================================

"A flaw in Vista's networking has been found that can crash the system,
*but no fix is expected until the next service pack*"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10106173-83.html

#########

Haaa, wonderful...
--
Firefox 3.0.4 .::. Thunderbird: 2.0.0.17.::. Ubuntu 8.10

Clogwog

Nov 23, 2008, 4:30:45 PM11/23/08
"Tony Manco" <trmanco...@sapo.pt> schreef in bericht

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>>
>> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
>> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
>
> And what is the best part?

That it took 4 months to fix this!
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/30126
LMFAO @ you!

Jerry McBride

Nov 23, 2008, 4:24:05 PM11/23/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

How quaint... Thanks MicroSoft...

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

16:23:38 up 1 day, 5:14, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.01

Tony Manco

Nov 23, 2008, 4:46:39 PM11/23/08
Clogwog wrote:
> LMFAO @ you!

How about 7 years...

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/319133

"Also found and demonstrated by dildog at defcon 3 years ago. So don't
hold your breath waiting for that patch."

LMFAO @ you!

Homer

Nov 23, 2008, 4:48:40 PM11/23/08
Verily I say unto thee, that 7 spake thusly:

Serves BSD developers right for using such a lax license.

OTOH it wasn't they who screwed up the Vole's fork. Perhaps Microsoft
would be better switching back to the current upstream version. In fact
they should probably do that with their whole networking stack, since
they clearly don't have the first clue about networking at all.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
`----

21:48:14 up 18 days, 5:31, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.12, 0.15

Hadron

Nov 23, 2008, 4:52:43 PM11/23/08
Jerry McBride <jmcb...@mail-on.us> writes:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>>
>> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
>> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
>
> How quaint... Thanks MicroSoft...

maybe you should switch to Linux? Just make sure your ssh keys are not
compromised ....

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1533212&from=rss

It was there for 2 years leaving "Debian server" totally open to anyone
you could be bothered to hack in if they had sshd running.

--
"Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 23, 2008, 5:09:31 PM11/23/08
Hadron wrote:

> Jerry McBride <jmcb...@mail-on.us> writes:
>
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>>>
>>> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
>>> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
>>
>> How quaint... Thanks MicroSoft...
>
> maybe you should switch to Linux? Just make sure your ssh keys are not
> compromised ....
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1533212&from=rss
>
> It was there for 2 years leaving "Debian server" totally open to anyone
> you could be bothered to hack in if they had sshd running.

Oh, looky looky: Hadron Quark, the "true linux advocate", deflecting a real
bad windows bug by pointing to a debian bug *and* implying it is a "linux
bug". In the vain hope that somehow, magically, this windows bug might look
somewhat less bad

Pray tell, liar Hadron Quark, which *other* distros had this bug? Be
precise. While you're at it, explain why Debian, your "distro of choice"
(if one is dumb enough to believe your claims), had this bug and no other
distro had. Might it have to do with a really idiotic decision on the part
of the debian maintainers?

So, why exactly is this a "linux bug", "kernel hacker" Hadron Quark?
--
You're genuinely bogus.

7

Nov 23, 2008, 6:19:33 PM11/23/08
Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Black Dragon
wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

> 7 wrote:
>
>> BSD Pirates ;)
>
> Idiot.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

You knowledge challenged idiot and fool!

Tim Smith

Nov 23, 2008, 7:31:19 PM11/23/08
In article <49298ac1$0$31333$9b4e...@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>,
Peter Kohlmann <peter.k...@arcor.de> wrote:

> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>
> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs

You know better than this, Peter. By COLA standards, this doesn't count
as a serious bug, since it appears to only allow a local, privileged,
user to either DoS himself, or escalate privileges.

At least, that's the story when such bugs are found in Linux (which
happens several times a year for the kernel, and several times a month
if you include libraries and applications).

--
--Tim Smith

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 24, 2008, 2:15:25 AM11/24/08
Tim Smith wrote:

It does not matter if it is local or remote.
What *does* matter though that those incompetent monkeys at MS failed to do
even so much as a cursery check on values.
How much more of such time-bombs did they hide in their shiny all new Vista?
--
Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

Tim Smith

Nov 24, 2008, 4:16:40 AM11/24/08
In article <492a548d$0$31342$9b4e...@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>,

Peter Kohlmann <peter.k...@arcor.de> wrote:
> It does not matter if it is local or remote.
> What *does* matter though that those incompetent monkeys at MS failed to do
> even so much as a cursery check on values.
> How much more of such time-bombs did they hide in their shiny all new Vista?

How is this different from when Linux kernel coders fail to check
values? E.g.,

<http://secunia.com/advisories/31509/>

which was a failure to sanitize user-supplied values before using them
as sizes for memory allocation.

--
--Tim Smith

Clogwog

Nov 24, 2008, 4:45:42 AM11/24/08

> Clogwog wrote:
>> LMFAO @ you!
>
> How about 7 years...
>
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/319133
>
> "Also found and demonstrated by dildog at defcon 3 years ago. So don't
> hold your breath waiting for that patch."

Ha, ha! What about all those undiscovered exploits in Linux? Linux is
crashing constantly, take a look at DFS's posts.
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/devs-eth-synth-ecosynth.html
"Also, as with any suid root programs there may be as yet undiscovered
exploits"
You COLA liars always tell us that Linux is more secure than Windows, so
please explain why Linux & Windows have the same EAL 4+ rating?
http://www.integrityglobalsecurity.com/pages/learnCommon.html

LMFAO @ you!

Hadron

Nov 24, 2008, 6:42:58 AM11/24/08
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

No. no. Linux is not spelt "W-I-N-D-O-W-S" so that doesn't count.

--
"I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

Message has been deleted

chrisv

Nov 24, 2008, 8:53:36 AM11/24/08
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>Hadron quacked:

>> maybe you should switch to Linux? Just make sure your ssh keys are not
>> compromised ....
>

>Oh, looky looky: Hadron Quark, the "true linux advocate", deflecting a real
>bad windows bug by pointing to a debian bug *and* implying it is a "linux
>bug". In the vain hope that somehow, magically, this windows bug might look
>somewhat less bad

What an *asshole*, Quack is.

Tony Manco

Nov 24, 2008, 10:06:24 AM11/24/08
Clogwog wrote:
> Linux is crashing constantly, take a look at DFS's posts.

Oh really, if "Linux" is crashing constantly why is Google still online?

> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/devs-eth-synth-ecosynth.html
> "Also, as with any suid root programs there may be as yet undiscovered
> exploits"

How about in Windows, do you know how many undiscovered exploits there are?

chrisv

Nov 24, 2008, 10:55:28 AM11/24/08
Tony Manco wrote:

>> Linux is crashing constantly, take a look at DFS's posts.
>
>Oh really, if "Linux" is crashing constantly why is Google still online?

FFS is that really worth responding-to? "look at DFS's posts"?
Sheesh.

Tony Manco

Nov 24, 2008, 11:10:52 AM11/24/08
chrisv wrote:
> FFS is that really worth responding-to? "look at DFS's posts"?
> Sheesh.

ok I'll stop...

Kelsey Bjarnason

Nov 24, 2008, 12:59:18 PM11/24/08
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:46:32 +0000, Black Dragon wrote:

> "BSD Pirates" implies BSD licensed software was stolen. So tell us
> (tinu) oh monument to Linux Advocacy, how exactly does one "steal"
> something that is given away for free?

Wasn't that the whole foundation of the SCO suit? :)

Cork Soaker

Nov 24, 2008, 12:37:54 PM11/24/08

Hahaha. That's what I thought.

Results 1 - 10 of about 355,000 for windows crashing constantly
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+crashing+constantly&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-GB:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Cork Soaker

Nov 24, 2008, 12:39:27 PM11/24/08
Hadron wrote:
> Jerry McBride <jmcb...@mail-on.us> writes:
>
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>>>
>>> Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
>>> After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
>> How quaint... Thanks MicroSoft...
>
> maybe you should switch to Linux? Just make sure your ssh keys are not
> compromised ....
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1533212&from=rss
>
> It was there for 2 years leaving "Debian server" totally open to anyone
> you could be bothered to hack in if they had sshd running.

You think that two years is longer than seven years and counting?

Hardon, you mucky fucking liar!

Cork Soaker

Nov 24, 2008, 12:40:30 PM11/24/08
Hadron wrote:
> Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:
>
>> In article <492a548d$0$31342$9b4e...@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>,
>> Peter Kohlmann <peter.k...@arcor.de> wrote:
>>> It does not matter if it is local or remote.
>>> What *does* matter though that those incompetent monkeys at MS failed to do
>>> even so much as a cursery check on values.
>>> How much more of such time-bombs did they hide in their shiny all new Vista?
>> How is this different from when Linux kernel coders fail to check
>> values? E.g.,
>>
>> <http://secunia.com/advisories/31509/>
>>
>> which was a failure to sanitize user-supplied values before using them
>> as sizes for memory allocation.
>
> No. no. Linux is not spelt "W-I-N-D-O-W-S" so that doesn't count.

Hardon is such an idiot, he didn't understand a word you just said!

Message has been deleted

7

Nov 24, 2008, 2:16:29 PM11/24/08
Black Dragon wrote:

> "BSD Pirates" implies BSD licensed software was stolen. So tell us
> (tinu) oh monument to Linux Advocacy, how exactly does one "steal"
> something that is given away for free?

Is that so oh clueless one?!!!!

Now that you explained what a "BSD Pirate" is,
what do you think a "BSD Pirate ;)" is ?

<crickets!>

<crickets!>

<crickets!>

Clogwog

Nov 25, 2008, 3:48:42 PM11/25/08

> Clogwog wrote:
>> Linux is crashing constantly, take a look at DFS's posts.
>
> Oh really, if "Linux" is crashing constantly why is Google still online?
>
>> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/devs-eth-synth-ecosynth.html
>> "Also, as with any suid root programs there may be as yet undiscovered
>> exploits"
>
> How about in Windows, do you know how many undiscovered exploits there
> are?

1) Windows is *the* target for finding new exploits, because 92% desktop
users are Windows users.
2) They are patched faster than in any other OS!
http://www.cio.de/news/cio_worldnews/838396/
Windows Vista deserved an A+ security report card
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/2E0A8EE86BB7DC97CC25730100196756
B.t.w.
The remaining question you snipped still stands, no second prizes!, so I win
==> you lose!

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 26, 2008, 12:15:58 AM11/26/08
7 wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
> > http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
> >
> > Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here.
> > After all, who wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
>
> Serves them right for being BSD Pirates ;)

Except BSD doesn't seem to suffer from the same woes. If Microsoft
borrowed the BSD TCP stack, what exactly were they doing with it that
resulted in them buggering it up? And why?

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com
Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard

Sinister Midget

Nov 26, 2008, 12:09:41 AM11/26/08
On 2008-11-26, Paul Hovnanian P.E. <pa...@hovnanian.com> claimed:

> Except BSD doesn't seem to suffer from the same woes. If Microsoft
> borrowed the BSD TCP stack, what exactly were they doing with it that
> resulted in them buggering it up?

Rewriting it to fit the Vista security model.

> And why?

To make it as secure as all of the rest of Windows.

--
In the fight between you and the world, back the world.
-- Frank Zappa

alt

Nov 26, 2008, 11:53:16 PM11/26/08
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:15:58 -0800, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

> 7 wrote:
>>
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/498471
>> >
>> > Well, they obviuously have rewritten their stack here. After all, who
>> > wants old bugs? *New* bugs are what the world needs
>>
>> Serves them right for being BSD Pirates ;)
>
> Except BSD doesn't seem to suffer from the same woes. If Microsoft
> borrowed the BSD TCP stack, what exactly were they doing with it that
> resulted in them buggering it up? And why?

They were "extending" it.

ml2mst

Nov 27, 2008, 1:20:10 AM11/27/08

Funny is that their implementation of TCP does not sent RST (Reset)
packets, which make FIN, X-MAS and NULL-scans useless.

The issue is covered on page 184-187 of this little gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=2379185

And just became aware that there is a 2'nd edition:

http://www.nostarch.com/hacking2.htm

Yeeeha ;-)

Fortunately I don't know what else they did with their implementation...

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com