A good reason to use not use Windows / IE

Eugene

Nov 9, 2003, 8:08:40 PM11/9/03
A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn
site came up. I closed IE and opened a new one and found I had a porn
search toolbar without being asked. I ran ad-aware and removed it. Well
on Sat my wife found her google toolbar turned off and a search toolbar
installed and her home page changed to srch.lop.com. Looking through her
browser history the only site she visited was 1800contacts, I browsed their
site a bit with the popup stopper in Mozilla turned off but I never
received a popup of any kind so I don't know where the search bar came
from. I had her download and run ad-aware but it didn't remove it. I
manaully searched the registry for the toolbar name and deleted the keys
which removed it from IE but there is a blank entry in the view-toolbars-
menu which brings it back when clicked on. So I still need to dig through
her system to try to get rid of this thing. I've been carefull on both
machines to keep all the m$ patches up to date and I am behind a real
firewall (cisco IOS w/firewall on a 2500 series router) so no extra ports
are open, etc. Microsoft security is like that old cartoon I watched as a
child, the one where the character was in front of a dam that had started
to lean. The character plugged the leak with his finger so another leak
started somewhere else. The cartoon character then plugged it with a
finger on the other hand so another leak started. Cover that one with a
foot and another starts. A neverending game of twister to cover up the
current hole. I'm so happy I made the switch to Linux, it wasn't easy but
I've learned along the way. I wish now when I plugged that old slackware 3
cd into an old 386 way back when I had kept with it, I wasted so much time
with Windows. Like the weekend I wanted to run a program that would only
run under 9x so I decided to reformat my nt4 laptop and install 98. Spent
a few hours installing 98 and all my software only to be greeted by a
message that the registry was full so I had to reformat and reinstall NT4
again. Or the release or w2k which corrupted my data partition forcing me
to soend hours restoring from my old tape backup and lost the data that had
changed since my last backup which included much of my wifes college paper
she was working on. Or most recently when XP decided to show my external
usb drive in device manager but not give it a drive letter no matter how
many times I refreshed/rebooted/unplugged and plugged it in deleted the
drivers, let it redectect, etc. My next laptop I will not even run Windows
on, I will ask the manufacturer for a refund on the windows license.

Linønut

Nov 9, 2003, 11:01:05 PM11/9/03
On 2003-11-10, Eugene <nos...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> drivers, let it redectect, etc. My next laptop I will not even run Windows
> on, I will ask the manufacturer for a refund on the windows license.

Hope you get the refund. Dell promised one to me, but never delivered.

--
Windows desktops and servers can find a safe haven on a
GNU/Linux/FreeBSD network!

GreyCloud

Nov 9, 2003, 10:14:21 PM11/9/03
Eugene wrote:

> A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn
> site came up. I closed IE and opened a new one and found I had a porn
> search toolbar without being asked.

I too finally found a bug in IE 6.0.

When I used Google, I searched for Qwest "The Directory of
Publishers". I then clicked on the second line that Google
presented. Another web page showed up. A lot of info
there. I used Edit and Find to find Qwest on the web page.
I got an Error 57 that said It was not an object or a Null.

I double checked and used both Netscape and Firebird... both
worked just fine.

Franoculator

Nov 9, 2003, 11:24:31 PM11/9/03
GreyCloud spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
and the letters spelled:

> I too finally found a bug in IE 6.0.

Did you see this one? It's a screendump of IE crashing at the windows
update site.

http://www.franoculator.com/howto/ssh-no-pass.txt

--
***** Matthew Powell *******************************
****** http://www.franoculator.com *****************

Scarletdown

Nov 9, 2003, 11:43:17 PM11/9/03
Linųnut <linųn...@bone.com> wrote in

> On 2003-11-10, Eugene <nos...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> drivers, let it redectect, etc. My next laptop I will not even
>> run Windows on, I will ask the manufacturer for a refund on the
>> windows license.
>
> Hope you get the refund. Dell promised one to me, but never
> delivered.

And if you don't want to dick around with trying to get the refund,
you can simply put up the software you don't want on eBay. So what
if it is OEM stuff, which supposedly is not "legal" to resell. Most
potential bidders don't care about that sort of thing. They just
want the product. My only recommendations are:

1: Make sure that the certificate of authenticity and the manuals
are included.

2: Don't mention OEM anywhere in the title or description.

3: Don't bother including pictures in the listing. Everyone knows
what a CD-ROM, manual, and certificate look like anyway.

4: Be wary about answering questions from prospective buyers, as
they could be M$ Shills trying to get you to reveal that you are
selling OEM software so that they can get eBay's admin to terminate
your auctions. The only questions that are safe to answer are
questions about shipping costs.

There's always a good chance that you can get more for your unwanted
software this way than if your vendor were to give you a refund on it
anyway.

I've also seen auctions for OEM software where the seller states that
the package includes an unspecified and un-tested piece of computer
hardware to keep the auction in compliance with eBay's rules. Dunno
if that is a useful technique or not, but it may be worth trying one
of these days (I have plenty of old 30 pin 1MB SIMMs that could serve
that purpose...) :D

the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

Nov 10, 2003, 6:13:27 AM11/10/03
Eugene wrote:
> A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn
> site came up.

Yeah -- "mistyped". <snicker>

:) (only kiddin')

--
the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

Use Linux. Educate yourself. Emancipate yourself.
(Paul Cooke on comp.os.linux.advocacy)

The Onion Man

Nov 10, 2003, 6:47:07 AM11/10/03
Oh the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz, why did you say this?

> Eugene wrote:
>> A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a porn
>> site came up.
>
> Yeah -- "mistyped". <snicker>
>
> :) (only kiddin')

Happens to me all the time :-0

--
Ian
Allium Alert #1:

chrisv

Nov 10, 2003, 9:31:02 AM11/10/03
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:08:40 GMT, Eugene <nos...@columbus.rr.com>
wrote:

>I wish now when I plugged that old slackware 3
>cd into an old 386 way back when I had kept with it, I wasted so much time
>with Windows.

Well, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Linux was a real bear to
deal with back then. When I first tried it about 5 years ago, I
came-away so frustrated that it turned me into a Wintroll for a while.
8) It's waaayyyy better now. It still has some problems you don't
often see on Windows (e.g. Mandrake 9 won't work with my digital
camera (for some reason it thinks it's a scanner), and I'm not sure
it's worth the effort to actually get my Radeon 9500 Pro's 3D
acceleration working), but it's quite usable, and obviously far better
than Windows in many respects.

Milo T.

Nov 10, 2003, 1:27:38 PM11/10/03
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:24:31 GMT, Franoculator wrote:

> GreyCloud spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
> and the letters spelled:
>
>> I too finally found a bug in IE 6.0.
>
> Did you see this one? It's a screendump of IE crashing at the windows
> update site.
>
> http://www.franoculator.com/howto/ssh-no-pass.txt

Certainly looks like it. Or alternatively, it could be your "ssh key
generation for beginners" instructions.

Franoculator

Nov 10, 2003, 1:37:20 PM11/10/03
Milo T. spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,

and the letters spelled:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:24:31 GMT, Franoculator wrote:
>
>> GreyCloud spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
>> and the letters spelled:
>>
>>> I too finally found a bug in IE 6.0.
>>
>> Did you see this one? It's a screendump of IE crashing at the windows
>> update site.
>>
>> http://www.franoculator.com/howto/ssh-no-pass.txt
>
> Certainly looks like it. Or alternatively, it could be your "ssh key
> generation for beginners" instructions.

Hehe. Whoops. Thanks for spotting that one Simon.

http://franoculator.ath.cx:8880/error.png

The Ghost In The Machine

Nov 10, 2003, 3:59:38 PM11/10/03
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Franoculator
<ma...@morpheus.franoculator.com>
wrote
on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:24:31 GMT
<3qErb.75$vJ3.68@okepread05>:

> GreyCloud spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
> and the letters spelled:
>
>> I too finally found a bug in IE 6.0.
>
> Did you see this one? It's a screendump of IE crashing at the windows
> update site.
>
> http://www.franoculator.com/howto/ssh-no-pass.txt

Looks more like a textfile on how to create ssh IDs to allow
trusted remote logins w/o password. :-)

Useful but strangely off-context..

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Eugene

Nov 10, 2003, 6:34:37 PM11/10/03
the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz wrote:

> Eugene wrote:
>> A few months before I made the switch I had a mistyped an address and a
>> porn site came up.
>
> Yeah -- "mistyped". <snicker>
>
> :) (only kiddin')

That was misspelt as a joke, like computer manglement or cow-orkers :)

Eugene

Nov 10, 2003, 6:42:39 PM11/10/03
Scarletdown wrote:

> Linnut <lin...@bone.com> wrote in

That doesn't send the message back to Dell/Compaq/whomever though. We need
to get more poeple asking for machines without Windows to make them take
notice.

For anyone thats interested, I finally got that stupid thing off of my wifes
PC. It added a line to the run= in the registry and would run a small exe
down in the documents and settings/username/application data which would
reinstall the toolbar if it was removed. Now if this had been one of those
many times that someone clicked yes to download some crap I wouldn't have
as much of a problem as I do with this one because I have educated my wife
to not click things without reading and being sure, to not plug e-mail
addresses into 'send this site to your friend' pages, to not download crap
without checking first to see if it is adware/spyware. She choose 'No' to
the 'do you want to install blah' prompt and it installed anyway. This to
me goes beyond adware/spyware and makes it a virus. Too bad I can't afford
a laywer.

Franoculator

Nov 10, 2003, 7:50:23 PM11/10/03
The Ghost In The Machine spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,

and the letters spelled:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Franoculator
><ma...@morpheus.franoculator.com>
> wrote
> on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:24:31 GMT
><3qErb.75$vJ3.68@okepread05>:
>> GreyCloud spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
>> and the letters spelled:
>>
>>> I too finally found a bug in IE 6.0.
>>
>> Did you see this one? It's a screendump of IE crashing at the windows
>> update site.
>>
>> http://www.franoculator.com/howto/ssh-no-pass.txt
>>

> Looks more like a textfile on how to create ssh IDs to allow
> trusted remote logins w/o password. :-)
>
> Useful but strangely off-context..

Yeah, I posted the wrong URL. Here is the one I wanted to show you.

http://franoculator.ath.cx:8880/error.png

The Ghost In The Machine

Nov 10, 2003, 11:59:37 PM11/10/03
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Franoculator
<ma...@morpheus.franoculator.com>
wrote
on Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:50:23 GMT
<jnWrb.3199$vJ3.2769@okepread05>:

> The Ghost In The Machine spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
> and the letters spelled:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Franoculator
>><ma...@morpheus.franoculator.com>
>> wrote
>> on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:24:31 GMT
>><3qErb.75$vJ3.68@okepread05>:
>>> GreyCloud spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
>>> and the letters spelled:

>>> Did you see this one? It's a screendump of IE crashing at the windows
>>> update site.
>>>
>>> http://www.franoculator.com/howto/ssh-no-pass.txt
>>>

>> Looks more like a textfile on how to create ssh IDs to allow
>> trusted remote logins w/o password. :-)
>>
>> Useful but strangely off-context..
>
> Yeah, I posted the wrong URL. Here is the one I wanted to show you.
>
> http://franoculator.ath.cx:8880/error.png

"If you were in the middle of something, the information you were
working on might be lost."

How.....heartening. :-P :-)

Franoculator

Nov 11, 2003, 12:36:25 AM11/11/03

You did notice the URL of the site that caused the crash, didn't you?

the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

Nov 11, 2003, 1:28:33 PM11/11/03

I wasn't so much addressing the spelling joke, as the action itself.

--

the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

Use Linux. Educate yourself. Emancipate yourself.
(Paul Cooke on comp.os.linux.advocacy)

The Ghost In The Machine

Nov 11, 2003, 3:59:35 PM11/11/03
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Franoculator
<ma...@morpheus.franoculator.com>
wrote
on Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:36:25 GMT
<tz_rb.3306$vJ3.2279@okepread05>:

Yep. I sure hope that the "new" invocation of IE (after restarting)
was able to pick up the updates.

Bizarre.

Eugene

Nov 11, 2003, 6:04:57 PM11/11/03
the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz wrote:

> Eugene wrote:
>> the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz wrote:

>>>Yeah -- "mistyped". <snicker>
>>>
>>>:) (only kiddin')
>>>

>> That was misspelt as a joke, like computer manglement or cow-orkers :)
>
> I wasn't so much addressing the spelling joke, as the action itself.

Ahh I see. I was testing to make sure everything a desktop user would try
would work on Linux, oh wait I was running Windows :)

Franoculator

Nov 11, 2003, 7:58:55 PM11/11/03
The Ghost In The Machine spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
and the letters spelled:

> Yep. I sure hope that the "new" invocation of IE (after restarting)

> was able to pick up the updates.
>
> Bizarre.

No, it did not. It crashed IE every time. Good thing it was a fresh
install, I just wiped it clean and tried again.

the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

Nov 12, 2003, 5:00:09 AM11/12/03

Pr0n is so much more satisfying from Linux; it tends not to crash at the
-- er -- /delicate/ moments.