Linus goes to Washington: My Impression

Drew Golden

May 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/13/95
Trip Report:

After driving 6 hours in the rain from Pittsburgh to Washington
DC to the Decus convention to meet Linus and hear him speak (I
attended everything except the 1/2 day kernel seminar) here are
my personal impressions:

1.) Linus does not do backups. He said so. The Internet is
his backup.

2.) Linus is sick and tired of us asking about the
prononunciation of his his name. (LINUX is prononunced like
this: Lee-nooks.) But I will continue to screw it up. Sorry
Leenous, when in Rome.

3.) There is no regression testing done. Linus kind of
examines code, kind of makes sure it runs, and if it does not
explode, it is sent out to the Internet.

4.) Big surprise here, according to Linus, he has only
personally authored 30% of the kernel. He is the funnel for
all kernel code, however, and everything passes through him
before it enters the kernel.

5.) I get the impression that Linus is really, really smart.

6.) Those pictures on the Internet of Linus do him no justice.
I thought he was a Geek, but in fact he proves to be an
attractive young man.

7.) Capitolism makes Linus sick. He seemed to really be
irratated that Americans refuse to believe in anything free.
And he is additionally irratated that corporate America has not
lept onto a free Unix.

8.) Linus does not like MS, however does use PowerPoint to
create his presentations. He pointed out that there is a true
need for native Linux applications. A really cool Word
Processing package like WinWord would be cool.

9.) Linus has a girl-friend.

10.) If the growth of Linux continues as it has the past three
years, there will be enough copies out there for every person
and their dog. (It is surprising.)

11.) If you send E-Mail to Linus, please do not begin it with
"Dear Linus, who art so smart and close to being God...." - I
think these sorts of E-Mails are starting to go to his head.

12.) The people who follow Linus and appretiate his OS are
probably the coolest people on earth.

Overall, the one-day lecture series was EASILY worth the $40.
And the Alpha is probably going to be the coolest port ever.
The damn thing booted Linux and reported 148+ bogomips! I want
one!

dgo...@parklane3.legent.com

Nick Kralevich

May 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/14/95
In article <3p2uur$b...@booch.legent.com>,

Drew Golden <dgo...@parklane3.legent.com> wrote:

>9.) Linus has a girl-friend.

The man is a miracle worker! He manages to write the best OS in the
world, and STILL have time for a girlfriend. How does the guy do it?!?!

We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy...... :-)

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich
nick...@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

--
LINUX, the FREE | University of California at | Nick Kralevich
Operating System of the | Berkeley. Department of | nick...@cory.eecs.

Mark van Hoeij

May 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/14/95
In <3p4b6l$l...@agate.berkeley.edu> nick...@sextans.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (Nick Kralevich) writes:

>We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy...... :-)

You didn't read item 11).

Mark van Hoeij

Tim Bass

May 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/14/95
Nick Kralevich (nick...@sextans.EECS.Berkeley.EDU) wrote:

: The man is a miracle worker! He manages to write the best OS in the

: world, and STILL have time for a girlfriend. How does the guy do it?!?!

: We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy...... :-)

Please, Linus is just a nice human being, please read item (11). Europeans
do not deify Linus, they just run his OS and develop apps. It seems like
only in America do we have do develop these immortal icons. Must be
too much television.

When I'm in Germany, it is interesting. Seems like more people are interested
in Linux than MS expensive c**p. Instead of looking for icons to glorify,
we would honor Linus more by giving our TVs away and develop cool apps
for Linux. (gave my TV away years ago).

We enjoyed meeting Linus in Amsterdam. *But* we met some other really
great people too, and that was the fun of it.

| Tim Bass | #include<campfire.h> |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer | for(beer=100;beer<1;beer++){ |
| The Silk Road Group, Ltd. | take_one_down++ |
| | pass_it_around++ |
| http://www.silkroad.com/ | } |
| | get_more_beer(); |

Dan Newcombe

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
In article <3p2uur$b...@booch.legent.com>,
Drew Golden <dgo...@parklane3.legent.com> wrote:
>Trip Report:
>After driving 6 hours in the rain from Pittsburgh to Washington
>DC to the Decus convention to meet Linus and hear him speak (I
>attended everything except the 1/2 day kernel seminar) here are
>my personal impressions:

Wish I had the time^H^H^H^Hmoney to see that!!!

>4.) Big surprise here, according to Linus, he has only
>personally authored 30% of the kernel. He is the funnel for
>all kernel code, however, and everything passes through him
>before it enters the kernel.

But look at the 30% he did. Like the lioness with her one offspring
said to the chicken with it's 8 offspring - "Mine is a lioness". Or
something like that.

>6.) Those pictures on the Internet of Linus do him no justice.
> I thought he was a Geek, but in fact he proves to be an
>attractive young man.

Really...after the ones I saw, I thought he was a drunk :)

>7.) Capitolism makes Linus sick. He seemed to really be
>irratated that Americans refuse to believe in anything free.
>And he is additionally irratated that corporate America has not
>lept onto a free Unix.

Cheers!!!

>8.) Linus does not like MS, however does use PowerPoint to

Doubly so.

>9.) Linus has a girl-friend.

alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.linux - I need help!!!

>The damn thing booted Linux and reported 148+ bogomips! I want
>one!

Yikes!

--
Dan Newcombe newc...@aa.csc.peachnet.edu