Has Microsoft finally managed Netbook extermination in the USA ?

Terry Porter

May 9, 2010, 4:34:58 AM5/9/10
According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
and 5% in Apr2010.

We all know that tens of millions of Linux netbooks were sold before
Microsoft strongarmed the netbook manufacturers into providing only
Windows7 on Netbooks whose hardware specs were also dictated by Microsoft
to be much reduced compared to a Laptop. i.e. ram was limited.

Retailers were 'persuaded' not to offer Linux Netbooks where Windows
Netbooks were on display, or to make sure the Linux Netbooks were powered
off, or not just available.

This graph, http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/ipad-netbook-market/ shows the
sales data I have quoted above, although it attempts to suggest that the
Apple Ipad is the reason for the Netbook slump.

As the Apple Ipad was not released into the American market until April
2010, the Ipad may be responsible for some of the April slump, but it
can't be responsible for the prior decline.

I think the likely suspect for the decline is Microsoft, Windows7, a
maximum of three concurrent apps, and pricing that in some cases, rivals
larger dual core laptops.

Who needs to innovate, ... when you can exterminate ?

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Archlinux 2009.08 X86_64 and posting via
Pan.

7

May 9, 2010, 5:39:06 AM5/9/10
Terry Porter wrote:

I have need for a few more netbooks, but I'm not paying for windump
on the system. So you can see what has happened.
The price of netbooks have soared with windump OSen on it.
That is the price hardware manufacturers must pay for listening
to micoshaft sales plops.
It has killed their own market and they cry about it?
The shih has hit the fan for manufacturing outfits
after letting micoshaft sneak in.

Zero sales and piled up inventory - that is the price retailers pay
for listening to micoshfat sales plops
It has killed their own sales.

I see it every day - some company tries to stock Linux netbook,
hundreds are all gone within a day or two. And Windump stock remains static
unsold. Prime example of windummies in retail companies killing their own
profits to spite Linux. Windummies don't want netbooks.
Linux users do.
So put Linux back on these netbooks and price it correctly as before
and everyone will be buying vast numbers of netbooks.

Those not listening to the micoshaft plops still enjoy vast sales
not counted through channels.

peterwn

May 9, 2010, 5:56:41 AM5/9/10
On May 9, 9:39 pm, 7 <website_has_em...@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote:

> Those not listening to the micoshaft plops still enjoy vast sales
> not counted through channels.

It looks like netbook makers need to use ARM processors so M$ Windows
just will not work on them.

Rick

May 9, 2010, 7:10:16 AM5/9/10

**********
<http://online.wsj.com/article/
SB10001424052748703441404575205293176613092.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews>

Pricier, more powerful notebook computers are sucking some of the steam
from netbooks, the low-priced darlings that helped fuel sales for the PC
industry in the past two years.

Microsoft's
data—based on unit sales for its operating systems in the first quarter—
indicate that laptops in the $550 to $850 range grew faster than the 35%
year-over-year growth in overall Windows unit sales to consumers, Mr.
Brooks said.

<http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2010/05/06/sorry-
but-the-ipad-is-not-killing-netbook-sales.aspx>

IDC also says that "the current slowdown is not because of the iPad, it
is simply a combination of seasonality and the law of big numbers"
**********

It looks Netbook sales are just "leveling out"

--
Rick

Rick

May 9, 2010, 7:16:04 AM5/9/10

> must pay for listening to micoshaft sales plops.(snip)

Depending on the amount of vendor-ware on the netbook, you might not be
paying for Windows at all, the other vendors may be.

OTOH, if you buy the Windows based netbook just to wipe it, it skews
marketplace numbers. One way to let companies know it to request a refund
for the Windows you don't use. Or buy a netbook that ships with a Linux
distro. Or, if you need to dual boot, try to access the Net with the
Linux distro as much as possible.

--
Rick

Sinister Midget III

May 9, 2010, 8:14:13 AM5/9/10
On 2010-05-09, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:

I don't know the cause of the slump. But I can tel you I see record
numbers of used netbooks going for sale on Craig's List. I bought the
one I'm using now there. But I see some instances where people are
cutting the prices in half or more trying to dump them. One was only a
couple of months old, and he was asking $150 (normally over $350 new).

All but one I've seen over the last 5 months or so have had Winders,
usually Vista ME 7. The one that wasn't Windross-infected was still
asking a reasonably close price to new ($275, when it's usually around
$350).

Microscum might not close the netbook market this way. They may only
succeed in closing the netbook market to Windwoes. I suspect if most of
those were changed over to light, SSD drive linux machines, the sales
would pick up again. But if they keep chasing their tails over
Mickeysoft crapware, those models will rightly disappear, I do believe.

The chart doesn't break things out. I'd like to know how Dell's linux
line is doing, and how Dell is doing overall.

--
Kamikaze Pilot Wanted: Experienced only need apply.
Aspire One, Linux Mint 8 (LXDE)

Hadron

May 9, 2010, 9:00:26 AM5/9/10
Sinister Midget III <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-05-09, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:
>> According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
>> Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
>> and 5% in Apr2010.
>>
>> We all know that tens of millions of Linux netbooks were sold before
>> Microsoft strongarmed the netbook manufacturers into providing only
>> Windows7 on Netbooks whose hardware specs were also dictated by Microsoft
>> to be much reduced compared to a Laptop. i.e. ram was limited.

Liar.

>> Retailers were 'persuaded' not to offer Linux Netbooks where Windows
>> Netbooks were on display, or to make sure the Linux Netbooks were powered
>> off, or not just available.

Liar.

>> This graph, http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/ipad-netbook-market/ shows the
>> sales data I have quoted above, although it attempts to suggest that the
>> Apple Ipad is the reason for the Netbook slump.
>>
>> As the Apple Ipad was not released into the American market until April
>> 2010, the Ipad may be responsible for some of the April slump, but it
>> can't be responsible for the prior decline.
>>
>> I think the likely suspect for the decline is Microsoft, Windows7, a
>> maximum of three concurrent apps, and pricing that in some cases, rivals
>> larger dual core laptops.

Why do you tell so many lies?

>> Who needs to innovate, ... when you can exterminate ?
>
> I don't know the cause of the slump. But I can tel you I see record
> numbers of used netbooks going for sale on Craig's List. I bought the
> one I'm using now there. But I see some instances where people are
> cutting the prices in half or more trying to dump them. One was only a
> couple of months old, and he was asking $150 (normally over $350 new).

Hint Gidget : as Netbooks get older then more are palmed off.

> All but one I've seen over the last 5 months or so have had Winders,
> usually Vista ME 7. The one that wasn't Windross-infected was still
> asking a reasonably close price to new ($275, when it's usually around
> $350).

Liar.

> Microscum might not close the netbook market this way. They may only
> succeed in closing the netbook market to Windwoes. I suspect if most of
> those were changed over to light, SSD drive linux machines, the sales
> would pick up again. But if they keep chasing their tails over
> Mickeysoft crapware, those models will rightly disappear, I do believe.
>
> The chart doesn't break things out. I'd like to know how Dell's linux
> line is doing, and how Dell is doing overall.

Badly.

Peter Köhlmann

May 9, 2010, 9:51:01 AM5/9/10
Hadron wrote:

> Sinister Midget III <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2010-05-09, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:
>>> According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
>>> Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
>>> and 5% in Apr2010.
>>>
>>> We all know that tens of millions of Linux netbooks were sold before
>>> Microsoft strongarmed the netbook manufacturers into providing only
>>> Windows7 on Netbooks whose hardware specs were also dictated by
>>> Microsoft to be much reduced compared to a Laptop. i.e. ram was
>>> limited.
>
> Liar.

He did not lie. Why do you, Hadron Larry?

>>> Retailers were 'persuaded' not to offer Linux Netbooks where Windows
>>> Netbooks were on display, or to make sure the Linux Netbooks were
>>> powered off, or not just available.
>
> Liar.

Really?

>>> This graph, http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/ipad-netbook-market/ shows
>>> the sales data I have quoted above, although it attempts to suggest
>>> that the Apple Ipad is the reason for the Netbook slump.
>>>
>>> As the Apple Ipad was not released into the American market until
>>> April 2010, the Ipad may be responsible for some of the April slump,
>>> but it can't be responsible for the prior decline.
>>>
>>> I think the likely suspect for the decline is Microsoft, Windows7, a
>>> maximum of three concurrent apps, and pricing that in some cases,
>>> rivals larger dual core laptops.
>
> Why do you tell so many lies?

You may try to point out where he lied. Hint: He didn't

>>> Who needs to innovate, ... when you can exterminate ?
>>
>> I don't know the cause of the slump. But I can tel you I see record
>> numbers of used netbooks going for sale on Craig's List. I bought the
>> one I'm using now there. But I see some instances where people are
>> cutting the prices in half or more trying to dump them. One was only a
>> couple of months old, and he was asking $150 (normally over $350 new).
>
> Hint Gidget : as Netbooks get older then more are palmed off.

Do you have something worthwile to contribute, Hadron Larry?

>> All but one I've seen over the last 5 months or so have had Winders,
>> usually Vista ME 7. The one that wasn't Windross-infected was still
>> asking a reasonably close price to new ($275, when it's usually around
>> $350).
>
> Liar.

Oh, pray tell, where did he lie?

>> Microscum might not close the netbook market this way. They may only
>> succeed in closing the netbook market to Windwoes. I suspect if most of
>> those were changed over to light, SSD drive linux machines, the sales
>> would pick up again. But if they keep chasing their tails over
>> Mickeysoft crapware, those models will rightly disappear, I do believe.
>>
>> The chart doesn't break things out. I'd like to know how Dell's linux
>> line is doing, and how Dell is doing overall.
>
> Badly.

Idiot
--
Only two things are infinite,
the Universe and Stupidity.

7

May 9, 2010, 9:56:02 AM5/9/10
Rick wrote:

Windummy netbook v Linux netbook
the price difference is between �50 and �100 retail in UK.
Someone has to fund that uncompetitive slop so that micoshaft may live.

Linux netbooks hurts micoshaft marketing department.

Rick

May 9, 2010, 10:48:48 AM5/9/10
On Sun, 09 May 2010 15:00:26 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Sinister Midget III <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2010-05-09, Terry Porter <lin...@netspace.net.au> claimed:
>>> According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
>>> Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
>>> and 5% in Apr2010.
>>>
>>> We all know that tens of millions of Linux netbooks were sold before
>>> Microsoft strongarmed the netbook manufacturers into providing only
>>> Windows7 on Netbooks whose hardware specs were also dictated by
>>> Microsoft to be much reduced compared to a Laptop. i.e. ram was
>>> limited.
>
> Liar.

<http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/37600.aspx>
Windows 7 and Microsoft's Definition of Netbook

<http://www.itworld.com/small-business/74152/microsoft-defines-netbook-
and-windows-7-starter-edition-restrictions>
Microsoft Defines Netbook and Windows 7 Starter Edition Restrictions

<http://www.nillabyte.com/blog.php?b=183>
Microsoft Defines "Netbook"

>>> Retailers were 'persuaded' not to offer Linux Netbooks where Windows
>>> Netbooks were on display, or to make sure the Linux Netbooks were
>>> powered off, or not just available.
>
> Liar.

Prove your accusation.

Another fine example of Linux Advocacy from True Linux Advocate Quark.
(snip)
--
Rick

ToolPackinMama

May 9, 2010, 11:53:15 AM5/9/10
Isn't it possible that all the people who needed a netbook now have one?

Rick

May 9, 2010, 1:47:55 PM5/9/10
On Sun, 09 May 2010 11:53:15 -0400, ToolPackinMama wrote:

> Isn't it possible that all the people who needed a netbook now have one?

Then how do you explain the continued sales of netbooks. While they are
not growing in 600+% yar over year, they are still selling in the
millions.

--
Rick

Snit

May 9, 2010, 2:07:58 PM5/9/10
Rick stated in post qq6dnQlRLvTWaHvW...@supernews.com on 5/9/10
10:47 AM:

Maybe the people who merely want one are not getting them. All who need
them already have them. :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

7

May 9, 2010, 4:48:41 PM5/9/10
ToolPackinMama wrote:

> Isn't it possible that all the people who needed a netbook now have one?

Linux netbooks hurt micoshaft marketing department.

So they paid off the manufacturers illegally
to put in windump OSen on netbooks.
Windump OSen is a pig and can't run on Linux netbooks.
Linux can.

See any pattern?

Because vendors removed Linux from Linux netbooks and put windump pig
of OS, they now can't sell windummy netbooks. The whole windump pig thing is
crashing around and causing millions of pounds to be lost by manufacturers
and retailers. The punters don't want windump pig on their netbooks.
The punters want to go back to Linux netbooks.

Bring back Linux on netbooks and all the netbook inventory
will disappear.

Linux netbooks hurt micoshaft marketing department.

Linux netbooks are going to kill micoshaft crocporation.

RayLopez99

May 9, 2010, 4:52:19 PM5/9/10
On May 9, 4:34 am, Terry Porter <linu...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
> Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
> and 5% in Apr2010.

> I think the likely suspect for the decline is Microsoft, Windows7, a

> maximum of three concurrent apps, and pricing that in some cases, rivals
> larger dual core laptops.
>
> Who needs to innovate, ... when you can exterminate ?

No bozo, it's the iPad that's responsible.

RL

Right after Asus releaed its Eee PC, the humble netbook has been the
darling of the computer world, the new market growing bigger with no
ceiling in sight… until the Apple iPad. According to Morgan Stanley’s
Katy Huberty, the Apple iPad is directly responsible for the decline
in sales of netbooks last month (chart above). Huberty has also
supported her conclusion based on another study tat suggests people
who would otherwise have bought a netbook were planning to spend their
money on the iPad instead. Almost as many as half of the people
surveyed were opting for the Apple iPad at the expense of netbooks.

7

May 9, 2010, 4:58:40 PM5/9/10
Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
pounding the sock RayLopez99 wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
Appil Traffic Light Department of Marketing:

Wishful thinking bozo!

One third of all netbooks sold is Linux.

iPiddy is canibalizing windump netbook sales because
windump is a pig OS.

The whole windump pig thing is crashing around

micoshaft and manufacturers and retailers who
bought into windump pig OS on netbooks.
Windump pig OS does not work on netbooks
and the punters don't want to buy it no more.

Netbooks run happily on Linux.
And 32% of all netbook sales is Linux.

Bring back Linux netbooks and we shall see!!

Linux netbooks hurt micoshaft/appil marketing departments.

Linux netbooks are going to kill micoshaft/appil crocporation.

Rick

May 9, 2010, 6:13:28 PM5/9/10
On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:52:19 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On May 9, 4:34 am, Terry Porter <linu...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>> According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
>> Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
>> and 5% in Apr2010.
>
>> I think the likely suspect for the decline is Microsoft, Windows7, a
>> maximum of three concurrent apps, and pricing that in some cases,
>> rivals larger dual core laptops.
>>
>> Who needs to innovate, ... when you can exterminate ?
>>

> No bozo, it's the iPad that's responsible.
>
> RL

^^^^^ No Bozo, it's not, as my references in this thread has shown.

> Right after Asus releaed its Eee PC, the humble netbook has been the
> darling of the computer world, the new market growing bigger with no
> ceiling in sight… until the Apple iPad. According to Morgan Stanley’s
> Katy Huberty, the Apple iPad is directly responsible for the decline in
> sales of netbooks last month (chart above). Huberty has also supported
> her conclusion based on another study tat suggests people who would
> otherwise have bought a netbook were planning to spend their money on
> the iPad instead. Almost as many as half of the people surveyed were
> opting for the Apple iPad at the expense of netbooks.

**********
<http://online.wsj.com/article/
SB10001424052748703441404575205293176613092.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews>

Pricier, more powerful notebook computers are sucking some of the steam
from netbooks, the low-priced darlings that helped fuel sales for the PC
industry in the past two years.

Microsoft's
data—based on unit sales for its operating systems in the first quarter—
indicate that laptops in the $550 to $850 range grew faster than the 35%
year-over-year growth in overall Windows unit sales to consumers, Mr.
Brooks said.

<http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2010/05/06/sorry-
but-the-ipad-is-not-killing-netbook-sales.aspx>

IDC also says that "the current slowdown is not because of the iPad, it
is simply a combination of seasonality and the law of big numbers"
**********

--
Rick

chrisv

May 10, 2010, 8:50:06 AM5/10/10
Peter K�hlmann wrote:

>>> All but one I've seen over the last 5 months or so have had Winders,
>>> usually Vista ME 7. The one that wasn't Windross-infected was still
>>> asking a reasonably close price to new ($275, when it's usually around
>>> $350).
>>
>> Liar.
>
>Oh, pray tell, where did he lie?

Isn't anything that's pro-Linux or anti-Windows a "lie" to Larry?

DFS

May 10, 2010, 12:21:31 PM5/10/10
On 5/9/2010 4:58 PM, 7 wrote:

> Bring back Linux netbooks and we shall see!!

They never went away. They're easy to find online.

It's funny how you - and all Linux "advocates" on cola - always want
someone else to take the financial risk of selling Linux systems.

> Linux netbooks hurt micoshaft/appil marketing departments.

Your gibberish hurts Linux.

> Linux netbooks are going to kill micoshaft/appil crocporation.

Linux on Intel netbooks had the market to itself for a while. Not long
after Windows was made available on netbooks, Linux lost almost the
entire market.

Ouch!

Clogwog

May 10, 2010, 3:51:41 PM5/10/10
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> schreef in bericht

lol !, it always makes me laugh when I see how "Larry" *owns* Peter &
chrisv!

Clogwog

May 10, 2010, 3:53:49 PM5/10/10
"7" <website_...@www.enemygadgets.com> schreef in bericht

> ToolPackinMama wrote:
>
>> Isn't it possible that all the people who needed a netbook now have one?
>

> Linux netbooks hurt micoshaft marketing department.
>
> So they paid off the manufacturers illegally

Nurse, nurse!!!!!!!!!!!
<nuf said>

Clogwog

May 10, 2010, 4:04:50 PM5/10/10

> Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
> pounding the sock RayLopez99 wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
> Appil Traffic Light Department of Marketing:
>

>>> According to this graph (see below), YoY (Year over Year) sales of the
>>> Netbook in the USA have slumped from 641% in Jul2009 to 25% in Mar2010
>>> and 5% in Apr2010.
>>
>>> I think the likely suspect for the decline is Microsoft, Windows7, a
>>> maximum of three concurrent apps, and pricing that in some cases, rivals
>>> larger dual core laptops.
>>>
>>> Who needs to innovate, ... when you can exterminate ?
>>>

>> No bozo, it's the iPad that's responsible.
>>
>> RL
>>
>> Right after Asus releaed its Eee PC, the humble netbook has been the
>> darling of the computer world, the new market growing bigger with no
>> ceiling in sight… until the Apple iPad. According to Morgan Stanley’s
>> Katy Huberty, the Apple iPad is directly responsible for the decline
>> in sales of netbooks last month (chart above). Huberty has also
>> supported her conclusion based on another study tat suggests people
>> who would otherwise have bought a netbook were planning to spend their
>> money on the iPad instead. Almost as many as half of the people
>> surveyed were opting for the Apple iPad at the expense of netbooks.
>

> Wishful thinking bozo!
>
> One third of all netbooks sold is Linux.

Wishful thinking liar!
"Study: Windows clobbers Linux on netbooks with *over* 90% share"
<...........>
"But it does mean that when it comes to netbook sales, Linux is a paper
tiger." < lol > !
http://blogs.computerworld.com/study_windows_clobbers_linux_on_netbooks_with_over_90_share
<aside>
Watch it how the "7" idiot slinks away, I just "clobbered" the poor deluded
cunt!

RayLopez99

May 10, 2010, 5:53:04 PM5/10/10
On May 9, 7:10 am, Rick <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> It looks Netbook sales are just "leveling out"
>
> --

Spin Dick, spin!

RL