From year 2003 - Who owns Gartner

Kari Laine

Jun 18, 2011, 8:09:44 AM6/18/11

Hi,

these analyst houses are owned by someone. Has anyone done any research
about the owners of them?
Following post is from year 2003

Who Owns Gartner? Nov. 3, 2003
Thomas Claburn, John Foley, David M. Ewalt Nov 03 2003
..
..
Would their respect for Gartner's advice change if they knew the firm is
indirectly owned by dozens of big-money investors who control some of
the same companies Gartner evaluates?

... in a debt-to-stock conversion that took place in early October,
Silver Lake Partners, a Silicon Valley private equity-investment firm,
gained 49.4 million shares of Gartner stock, or about 38% of outstanding
shares. Two principals of Silver Lake, Glenn Hutchins and David Roux,
already were on Gartner's 10-member board of directors.
..
..
But it's the individuals who invest in Silver Lake, called limited
partners, who might be of most interest to Gartner clients. According to
Silver Lake, they include more than 150 "leading technology executives
from the top technology firms." Some of the names you might recognize:
Michael Dell, Larry Ellison, and Bill Gates.
..
..
"That's definitely relevant to us," says Onker Basu, a VP in the
information-services division of National City Corp., a bank holding
company with $100 billion worth of assets that's a Gartner client. Basu
didn't know of the relationship between Silver Lake and Gartner but says
he'll pay closer attention.

"We have an interest in knowing what could potentially influence
Gartner's output." ...

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15800394

- --
PICs, Displays,Relays - USB-SPI-I2C http://www.byvac.com
USB and FPGA boards http://www.ztex.de

I am just a happy customer

Homer

Jun 18, 2011, 3:58:00 PM6/18/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Kari Laine spake thusly:

> ... in a debt-to-stock conversion that took place in early October,
> Silver Lake Partners, a Silicon Valley private equity-investment firm,
> gained 49.4 million shares of Gartner stock, or about 38% of
> outstanding shares. Two principals of Silver Lake, Glenn Hutchins and
> David Roux, already were on Gartner's 10-member board of directors.
> ..
> ..
> But it's the individuals who invest in Silver Lake, called limited
> partners, who might be of most interest to Gartner clients. According
> to Silver Lake, they include more than 150 "leading technology
> executives from the top technology firms." Some of the names you might
> recognize: Michael Dell, Larry Ellison, and Bill Gates.

Market "analysts" are not impartial reporters, they're paid advertisers.

--
K. | "The poor have flat-screen TVs."
http://slated.org | ~ Libertarian propagandist Keith

RonB

Jun 18, 2011, 4:10:37 PM6/18/11
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:58:00 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Kari Laine spake thusly:
>>
>> ... in a debt-to-stock conversion that took place in early October,
>> Silver Lake Partners, a Silicon Valley private equity-investment firm,
>> gained 49.4 million shares of Gartner stock, or about 38% of
>> outstanding shares. Two principals of Silver Lake, Glenn Hutchins and
>> David Roux, already were on Gartner's 10-member board of directors. ..
>> ..
>> But it's the individuals who invest in Silver Lake, called limited
>> partners, who might be of most interest to Gartner clients. According
>> to Silver Lake, they include more than 150 "leading technology
>> executives from the top technology firms." Some of the names you might
>> recognize: Michael Dell, Larry Ellison, and Bill Gates.
>
> Market "analysts" are not impartial reporters, they're paid advertisers.

Gee, no wonder SCO's Linux extortion lawsuit had "merit" according to
these bozos. Why would anyone take their word on anything?

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581