Bill Gates says mobiles can improve global health

Robin T Cox

Nov 10, 2010, 1:32:30 PM11/10/10
http://bit.ly/b7PeKy

<quote>
"The mobile phone is pretty interesting for lots of things," Gates said in
his keynote address at the mobile health event.

"There's a whole lot of opportunities. I think we have to approach these
things with some humility though," added Gates, noting that much of the
developing world still has no internet or data connections.

"I do think there's absolutely a role (for mobile technology to impact
global health) but I think we have to hold ourselves to some pretty tough
metrics to see if it's really making a difference or not."
</quote>

What planet is this guy living on?

Doesn't he know that even the Taliban are using mobile phones these days?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8176259.stm

<quote>
Mobile phones are also used to threaten and intimidate local adversaries and
spread anti-US and propaganda material in the form of text messages and
short video clips.

Taliban anthems are even used as mobile phone ring tones in some areas.
</quote>

Homer

Nov 10, 2010, 3:08:03 PM11/10/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Robin T Cox spake thusly:

> http://bit.ly/b7PeKy
>
><quote>
> "The mobile phone is pretty interesting for lots of things," Gates
> said in his keynote address at the mobile health event.
>
> "There's a whole lot of opportunities. I think we have to approach
> these things with some humility though," added Gates, noting that much
> of the developing world still has no internet or data connections.
>
> "I do think there's absolutely a role (for mobile technology to impact
> global health) but I think we have to hold ourselves to some pretty
> tough metrics to see if it's really making a difference or not."
></quote>
>
> What planet is this guy living on?

The Planet of the Apes?

http://media.slated.org/albums/content/image/ms-monkeys.png

Seriously though, Pearly has always completely been out of touch with
everything except his wallet. The ridiculousness of his "prophesies" is
legendary.

I'm still waiting patiently for him to "cure spam", as he promised to do
within two years ... six years ago. I have a tin of Spam in my kitchen
that'll cure faster.

> Doesn't he know that even the Taliban are using mobile phones these days?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8176259.stm

Even the poorest people on Earth have access to technology, thanks to
the efforts of people like Nicholas Negroponte.

--
K. | [ubuntu]
http://slated.org |