Ubuntu is newbie proof

Tony Manco

Sep 10, 2009, 9:06:33 AM9/10/09
ubuntu and my friend

,----[ Quote ]
| so ive been using linux for a little less then a year now, and quite
| recently ive been using it on my notebook where my friends get the chance
| to see it instead of me just talk about it.
|
| well the other day i installed ubuntu 9.04 to my friends 4 year old once
| was xp without antivirus's pc. his main concern was the ability to
| transfer music to his ipod. well installation went well, and after
| tinkering around and using a bit of google, i got his ipod working in
| banshee (which is really easy)
|
| anyways he doesnt know alot about computers and he was able to jump into
| ubuntu very smoothly, of course i explained a bit to him some of the
| differences but he likes it alot.
|
| well i figured id shout that out.
`----

KDE 4.3.1 user

Hadron

Sep 10, 2009, 9:23:03 AM9/10/09
Tony Manco <trm...@gmx.tm> writes:

Looks like Tony Manco has been summoned to help Liarmutt up on the front
line. Almost as boring as hpt or Willy Poaster one wonders what on earth
this infant like fanboi can offer real Linux "advocacy" other than
mindless "me toos" and anti MS zealous frothing.

amicus_curious

Sep 10, 2009, 10:02:39 AM9/10/09

"Tony Manco" <trm...@gmx.tm> wrote in message

The fatal flaw here is the proud claim "after tinkering around and using a
bit of Google, i got his ipod working in banshee (which is really easy)".
It is good to have a helping hand or, more correctly here, someone to do the
work for you, but the cost of that assistance, if not available in a
complementary fashion, is rather steep usually. I don't know where one
would even begin to look if one were a true Linux newbie.

Attila

Sep 10, 2009, 10:41:15 AM9/10/09
amicus_curious wrote:

<snippity snap>

> The fatal flaw here is the proud claim "after tinkering around and using a
> bit of Google, i got his ipod working in banshee (which is really easy)".
> It is good to have a helping hand or, more correctly here, someone to do
> the work for you, but the cost of that assistance, if not available in a
> complementary fashion, is rather steep usually. I don't know where one
> would even begin to look if one were a true Linux newbie.

Linuxquestions.org? Ubuntu forums? and that's just for starters. There are
many other worthy places. I'm assuming your last question was serious.
Attila, The Freetard from Hell

Richard Rasker

Sep 10, 2009, 10:53:51 AM9/10/09
amicus_curious wrote:

As opposed to a Windows newbie, who has instinctive knowledge about how
everything works and where to find it, of course.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl

amicus_curious

Sep 10, 2009, 11:28:16 AM9/10/09

"Richard Rasker" <spam...@linetec.nl> wrote in message
No. As opposed to a Windows newbie who just follows the directions that
came with his iPod. You know, "Insert CD", Click OK.

There are very few Windows newbies in the world and their parents and
siblings are there to help them. With Linux you have to hunt up a geek,
which many people are loath to do at all and most have no idea as to where
to start.

amicus_curious

Sep 10, 2009, 11:30:43 AM9/10/09

"Attila" <jdka...@gmail.com> wrote in message
How likely is it that the new user has ever heard of them? Take this forum
for example. There are millions of Linux fans out and about in the world,
but only a dozen or so ever post here.

Hadron

Sep 10, 2009, 11:34:15 AM9/10/09
"amicus_curious" <ac...@sti.net> writes:

The problem being is that most Geeks are clueless. See Ahlstrom on the
subject of wicd or installing nvidia drivers in debian for example. Or
Koelhlmann on C pointers. Or Porter on how WICD has "nothing" to do with
roaming functionality (my head is still shaking at that ...).

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 11:42:27 AM9/10/09

Yep...

Their master Roy Schestowitz has mobilized the troops.

Notice how Roy is replying to threads and grossly over quoting?

All to seed Google.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 11:43:08 AM9/10/09

Wait until he tries to get dual monitors working with the Nvidia
blob.....
Or his printer is not listed in the CUPS database.

Tony Manco

Sep 10, 2009, 11:58:47 AM9/10/09
Hadron wrote:

The stuff you are smoking must be good...
--
KDE 4.3.1 user

Tony Manco

Sep 10, 2009, 12:00:33 PM9/10/09
amicus_curious wrote:

I don't need to follow those directions, I just plug it in and it works...

--
KDE 4.3.1 user

William Poaster

Sep 10, 2009, 12:08:36 PM9/10/09
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:58:47 +0100, above the shrieking & FUDding of the
trolls, Tony Manco was heard to say:

When you said it's "newbie proof" you forgot to take the inept Hadron M$
fanboi troll into account.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 12:14:13 PM9/10/09

Exactly!

> There are very few Windows newbies in the world and their parents and
> siblings are there to help them. With Linux you have to hunt up a geek,
> which many people are loath to do at all and most have no idea as to where
> to start.

Correct.

Geeks, and I am one myself, tend to assume others are at the
same technical level as they are.
This is rarely the case unless the person is another geek.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 12:14:53 PM9/10/09

Boobs will be boobs....
Terry Porter and Chris Ahlstrom are at the top of the COLA list.

Richard Rasker

Sep 10, 2009, 12:01:52 PM9/10/09
amicus_curious wrote:

Those CD's tend to get lost within a year, so at the second annual reinstall
at most, people are stuck, and need to hunt for drivers on the Internet --
and that's when the fun begins.

A business customer of mine has been busy reinstalling the two remaining XP
desktops which had slowed down considerably in the past year or so. The
other two (identical) machines in his company run Mandriva (supplied by
yours truly), and seeing the latter run (as opposed to seeing XP crawl) was
one of the reasons for the XP reinstall; he realised that a large part
of "using XP" had turned into "waiting for XP" and/or "getting annoyed by
XP".
He's been at it for well over a day now, yet still doesn't have all the
original functionality and settings back -- and he doesn't even need to
copy over huge amounts of data, as they're running a separate file server
(Linux, of course, installed by yours truly) for that.
So what's taking all that time? From what I heard it's hunting down and
reinstalling drivers, reinstalling half a dozen or so apps, and solving
problems -- e.g. their HP colour laser printer, for which the downloaded
drivers fail to install, reason unknown. So he already spent half an hour
on the phone, trying to get through to the helpdesk (that's also why he
called me in the end, but I couldn't help him either). Luckily, their Canon
printer drivers /did/ install, so at least they can print -- although that
took no less than 45 minutes.

This guy is getting rather pissed off, because his time costs some $100 per
hour; this "simple reinstall" has cost him the equivalent of $1000 already,
and he's still not done. Yet he needs to run Windows because of a few
software packages which have no Linux equivalent, and the existing files of
which can't be opened in Linux either: an accounting package, Corel Draw,
and one or two more.

> There are very few Windows newbies in the world and their parents and
> siblings are there to help them. With Linux you have to hunt up a geek,
> which many people are loath to do at all and most have no idea as to where
> to start.

Why is it that Wintrolls always surmise that Linux users are somehow stupid
people who live on a desert island and don't know where to find help? Most
people who start using Linux do this because they know one or more Linux
users.

And have you ever fired up a fresh Linux install? Among the very first thing
you see on your desktop are links to the distribution's maker, user
communities, forums and/or other sources of help. Start Firefox, and the
bookmark bar shows several similar links.

Now fire up a fresh Windows install. Where do you find helpful links?
Exactly: nowhere.

Tony Manco

Sep 10, 2009, 12:19:37 PM9/10/09
William Poaster wrote:

Oops, my bad...
--
KDE 4.3.1 user

Attila

Sep 10, 2009, 12:19:50 PM9/10/09
amicus_curious wrote:

Rather a lot, I would say. I don't this this forum, i.e. COLA would attract
many newbies and rightly so. Given the choice between posting here and
posting in a forum (assuming you don't have the time or the will to do
both), I would certainly go for the latter option. In LinuxQuestions, to
take one example, and looking at just the "Linux Newbies" forum (there are
many, many others including distro-specific ones) there have been over
100,000 threads and well over half a million posts. This is just one forum
on one website. Speaking just for myself, I've posted over 1700 times to LQ
and 98% were answering other people's questions.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 12:33:18 PM9/10/09

Not for most users it doesn't...
Most of them end up clobbering their library.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 10, 2009, 12:46:17 PM9/10/09
On 2009-09-10, William Poaster <w...@kubuntu-jaunty64.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:58:47 +0100, above the shrieking & FUDding of the
> trolls, Tony Manco was heard to say:
>
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> Looks like Tony Manco has been summoned to help Liarmutt up on the front

It looks like the Lemmings can't handle using something ELSE that does
not reflect well on their choice to follow the herd.

>>> line. Almost as boring as hpt or Willy Poaster one wonders what on earth
>>> this infant like fanboi can offer real Linux "advocacy" other than
>>> mindless "me toos" and anti MS zealous frothing.
>>
>> The stuff you are smoking must be good...
>
> When you said it's "newbie proof" you forgot to take the inept Hadron M$
> fanboi troll into account.

...it's like how doctors say that doctors make the worst patients.

Give a man enough knowledge to be harmful and he will do so.

--
On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
arbitrarily assigned.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 10, 2009, 12:48:04 PM9/10/09
On 2009-09-10, amicus_curious <ac...@sti.net> wrote:

> "Tony Manco" <trm...@gmx.tm> wrote in message
>> ubuntu and my friend
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | so ive been using linux for a little less then a year now, and quite
>> | recently ive been using it on my notebook where my friends get the
>> chance
>> | to see it instead of me just talk about it.
>> |
>> | well the other day i installed ubuntu 9.04 to my friends 4 year old once
>> | was xp without antivirus's pc. his main concern was the ability to
>> | transfer music to his ipod. well installation went well, and after
>> | tinkering around and using a bit of google, i got his ipod working in
>> | banshee (which is really easy)
>> |
>> | anyways he doesnt know alot about computers and he was able to jump into
>> | ubuntu very smoothly, of course i explained a bit to him some of the
>> | differences but he likes it alot.
>> |
>> | well i figured id shout that out.
>> `----

> The fatal flaw here is the proud claim "after tinkering around and using a
> bit of Google, i got his ipod working in banshee (which is really easy)".

I have to help out with iTunes and video all the time.

> It is good to have a helping hand or, more correctly here, someone to do the
> work for you, but the cost of that assistance, if not available in a
> complementary fashion, is rather steep usually. I don't know where one
> would even begin to look if one were a true Linux newbie.

You speak as if web search engines haven't been with us for about 15
years now already.

JEDIDIAH

Sep 10, 2009, 1:11:13 PM9/10/09

...very unlikely for a novice.

> Or his printer is not listed in the CUPS database.

...if if hasn't happened already then it never needs to happen.

--
Sophocles wants his cut. |||
/ | \

JEDIDIAH

Sep 10, 2009, 1:15:21 PM9/10/09
On 2009-09-10, Moshe Goldfarb <mosheg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:00:33 +0100, Tony Manco wrote:
>
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>>

>>> "Richard Rasker" <spam...@linetec.nl> wrote in message

[deletia]

>>> No. As opposed to a Windows newbie who just follows the directions that
>>> came with his iPod. You know, "Insert CD", Click OK.
>>
>> I don't need to follow those directions, I just plug it in and it works...
>
> Not for most users it doesn't...
> Most of them end up clobbering their library.

It's funny you should mention this because this is what iTunes tends to
do to an iPod it doesn't know about.

William Poaster

Sep 10, 2009, 1:42:52 PM9/10/09
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:19:37 +0100, above the shrieking & FUDding of the

8-)

You also have to wonder that as (according to the Hadron M$ zealot) you,
me & HPT are "boring", "me tooing" & "anti MS zealous frothing" wtf does
the troll bother reading us for!
Oh, hang on, I've answered myself....it's because he's a common, inane
*troll*.

Chris Ahlstrom

Sep 10, 2009, 1:50:56 PM9/10/09
After takin' a swig o' grog, Tony Manco belched out
this bit o' wisdom:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Looks like Tony Manco has been summoned to help Liarmutt up on the front
>> line. Almost as boring as hpt or Willy Poaster one wonders what on earth
>> this infant like fanboi can offer real Linux "advocacy" other than
>> mindless "me toos" and anti MS zealous frothing.
>
> The stuff you are smoking must be good...

Slow news day for the Insane Quark Troll.

Straitjacket imminent for our "Little Napoleon"? See sig.

--
There will be big changes for you but you will be happy.

Rick

Sep 10, 2009, 5:03:26 PM9/10/09

Notice how you are one of the few who care?

--
Rick

Rick

Sep 10, 2009, 5:04:23 PM9/10/09

We were all newbies once. We found the forums...

--
Rick

amicus_curious

Sep 10, 2009, 7:34:09 PM9/10/09

> I don't need to follow those directions, I just plug it in and it works...

Bullshit. You posted " and after tinkering around and using a bit of
google, i got his ipod working in banshee ".

So what is it? Did it just work and you didn't notice or did you have to
google a bit?

Tony Manco

Sep 10, 2009, 7:42:14 PM9/10/09
amicus_curious wrote:

?

I just posted a user's testimonial for advocacy... in case you didn't find
the link here it is:

The post has nothing to do with my experiences with Ubuntu... maybe next
time you should actually click the link to see who actually wrote it...
--
KDE 4.3.1 user

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 10:31:29 PM9/10/09

Oh,,,,so now the shoe is on the other foot.
Yet when DFS posts other people's experiences with Linux, you
freetards act like it's his experiences and start the attack.

What a bunch of fools you idiots are.

You really should go back to the safe confines of Roy
Schestowitz's chat channel because you are out of your league
here Trmanco.

Hack any school systems lately?

Tony Manco

Sep 11, 2009, 4:20:29 AM9/11/09
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:42:14 +0100, Tony Manco wrote:
>
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>>

>>> "Tony Manco" <trm...@gmx.tm> wrote in message

>>> Bullshit. You posted " and after tinkering around and using a bit of
>>> google, i got his ipod working in banshee ".
>>>
>>> So what is it? Did it just work and you didn't notice or did you have
>>> to google a bit?
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I just posted a user's testimonial for advocacy... in case you didn't
>> find the link here it is:

>> The post has nothing to do with my experiences with Ubuntu... maybe next
>> time you should actually click the link to see who actually wrote it...
>
> Oh,,,,so now the shoe is on the other foot.
> Yet when DFS posts other people's experiences with Linux, you
> freetards act like it's his experiences and start the attack.

What have you been smoking lately?
--
KDE 4.3.1 user

Rick

Sep 11, 2009, 5:43:45 AM9/11/09
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:31:29 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:42:14 +0100, Tony Manco wrote:
>
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>>

>>> "Tony Manco" <trm...@gmx.tm> wrote in message

>>> Bullshit. You posted " and after tinkering around and using a bit of
>>> google, i got his ipod working in banshee ".
>>>
>>> So what is it? Did it just work and you didn't notice or did you have
>>> to google a bit?
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I just posted a user's testimonial for advocacy... in case you didn't
>> find the link here it is:

>> The post has nothing to do with my experiences with Ubuntu... maybe
>> next time you should actually click the link to see who actually wrote
>> it...
>
> Oh,,,,so now the shoe is on the other foot. Yet when DFS posts other
> people's experiences with Linux, you freetards act like it's his
> experiences and start the attack.

No, bigot, that is not what gets him attacked. He tries to imply that
every problem every user of a Linux based system has affects every other
Linux system user, which is blatantly and deliberately dishonest.

> What a bunch of fools you idiots are.

What a dishonest bigot you are.

> You really should go back to the safe confines of Roy Schestowitz's chat
> channel because you are out of your league here Trmanco.
>
> Hack any school systems lately?

.. how many family members have you gotten to use an OS and software you
despise?

--
Rick

Sinister Midget

Sep 11, 2009, 5:47:03 AM9/11/09
On 2009-09-10, Tony Manco <trm...@gmx.tm> claimed:

Maybe im_a_curiosity fails to realize that some people "google a bit"
to find the nose on their face, others look in a mirror to find it, and
still others know it's already there and start breathing.

Then there are some people who need to be shown where it is, and get
One Microsoft Way Blessing 7.0, then klick-thru the EULA, before
they'll even know they should have a nose. Those, of course, are
Windopes.

--
Today is the last day of your life so far.

Richard Rasker

Sep 11, 2009, 6:46:14 AM9/11/09
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:42:14 +0100, Tony Manco wrote:
>
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>>

>>> "Tony Manco" <trm...@gmx.tm> wrote in message

>>> Bullshit. You posted " and after tinkering around and using a bit of
>>> google, i got his ipod working in banshee ".
>>>
>>> So what is it? Did it just work and you didn't notice or did you have
>>> to google a bit?
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I just posted a user's testimonial for advocacy... in case you didn't
>> find the link here it is:

>> The post has nothing to do with my experiences with Ubuntu... maybe next
>> time you should actually click the link to see who actually wrote it...
>
> Oh,,,,so now the shoe is on the other foot.
> Yet when DFS posts other people's experiences with Linux, you
> freetards act like it's his experiences and start the attack.

It's quite amazing how you manage to turn the world upside down in several
respects, in just those few lines. First, DFS is mostly attacked because he
is /not/ posting his own experiences, but relentlessly keeps on posting
other people's bug reports. Second, DFS' postings are /not/ Linux advocacy,
so they don't fit in here. Third, you're actually complaining about a Linux
advocate's posting of a bit of Linux advocacy in a Linux advocacy news
group. Now how twisted is that?

amicus_curious

Sep 11, 2009, 8:09:55 AM9/11/09

"Sinister Midget" <fardb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Then there are some people who need to be shown where it is, and get
> One Microsoft Way Blessing 7.0, then klick-thru the EULA, before
> they'll even know they should have a nose. Those, of course, are
> Windopes.

Well everyone cannot be masters of science and technology with all the
degrees from high-cost universities and super high paying jobs like you,
midget. Some of us are just ordinary people and are struggling the best we
can with what we have.

amicus_curious

Sep 11, 2009, 8:14:12 AM9/11/09

"Tony Manco" <trm...@gmx.tm> wrote in message
So what are you saying here? Are you saying that the person you cited
didn't need to google around to find out how to set up Banshee so that his
fellow's iPod could be used with Linux? Is he lying? Why would he lie?

What you are doing is taking the unsupported word of a complete stranger and
presenting it as some kind of fact. That seems totally useless.

chrisv

Sep 11, 2009, 8:57:45 AM9/11/09
Richard Rasker wrote:

>you're actually complaining about a Linux
>advocate's posting of a bit of Linux advocacy in a Linux advocacy news
>group.

Of course. It shows that the advocates are "hypocrites", you know.

chrisv

Sep 11, 2009, 9:03:50 AM9/11/09
William Poaster wrote:

>When you said it's "newbie proof" you forgot to take the inept Hadron M$
>fanboi troll into account.

Well, he didn't claim that it was "fsckwit lying creepy asshole" proof

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 11, 2009, 11:01:22 AM9/11/09

I don't smoke.
Smoking is bad for your health, son.