Novell sold to Microsoft-sponsored vulture capitalists

Homer

Nov 22, 2010, 11:08:27 PM11/22/10
The ink wasn't even dry on the final SCO judgement...

[quote]
Attachmate may be the primary purchasing party in the Novell acquisition
deal announced today, but the involvement of Microsoft means there's a
fresh new threat to Linux looming on the horizon.

"Novell also announced it has entered into a definitive agreement for
the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN
Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by
Microsoft Corporation, for $450 million in cash, which cash payment is
reflected in the merger consideration to be paid by Attachmate
Corporation," the press release reads.

Attachmate plans to run Novell's SUSE Linux business, according to the
announcement, and it's not yet clear which--if any--of Novell's
Linux-based assets will end up in Microsoft's hands. If Unix is involved
in those assets, however, it won't be good news for Linux or open source
software in general.
[/quote]

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211414/microsofts_hand_in_novell_deal_bodes_ill_for_linux.html

Now it's the Vole's turn to play the role of SCO.

--
K. | [ubuntu]
http://slated.org |

Justin

Nov 23, 2010, 12:55:52 AM11/23/10
In article <rarrr7-...@sky.matrix>, Homer <use...@slated.org>
wrote:

> The ink wasn't even dry on the final SCO judgement...
>
> [quote]
> Attachmate may be the primary purchasing party in the Novell acquisition
> deal announced today, but the involvement of Microsoft means there's a
> fresh new threat to Linux looming on the horizon.
>
> "Novell also announced it has entered into a definitive agreement for
> the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN
> Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by
> Microsoft Corporation, for $450 million in cash, which cash payment is
> reflected in the merger consideration to be paid by Attachmate
> Corporation," the press release reads.
>
> Attachmate plans to run Novell's SUSE Linux business, according to the
> announcement, and it's not yet clear which--if any--of Novell's
> Linux-based assets will end up in Microsoft's hands. If Unix is involved
> in those assets, however, it won't be good news for Linux or open source
> software in general.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211414/microsofts_hand_in_novell
> _deal_bodes_ill_for_linux.html
>
> Now it's the Vole's turn to play the role of SCO.

Don't be such a pessimist.
The current "rumor" is Microsoft is dumping the NT kernel for Windows 8.
Perhaps Microsoft is going to use this access for their next OS.
IMagine, a unix like version of Windows. Instantly all those viruses,
spyware, malware, dickware are obsolete.
MS already has access to 'run' unix apps via the alliance with Sun.
Windows 7 Enterprise already has UNIX application support.

Terry Porter

Nov 23, 2010, 3:10:58 PM11/23/10
Homer wrote:

> The ink wasn't even dry on the final SCO judgement...

<snip>

The puppet master steps out of the shadows, revealing itself at last.

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Gentoo:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

Phil Da Lick!

Nov 23, 2010, 5:33:46 AM11/23/10

Don't bet on it. They *have* to maintain backwards compatibility with
Fister at least. It's the same old chestnut - properly written net apps
should behave and not open system backdoors but how many apps in Windows
land lay claim to being properly written? Even the big boys with mega
budgets have are continuously finding holes in their apps. I'd like to
see a more unix-like kernel in W8 but it wouldn't be a cure-all.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 23, 2010, 8:25:37 AM11/23/10
Homer pulled this Usenet face plant:

> The ink wasn't even dry on the final SCO judgement...
>
> [quote]
> Attachmate may be the primary purchasing party in the Novell acquisition
> deal announced today, but the involvement of Microsoft means there's a
> fresh new threat to Linux looming on the horizon.
>
> "Novell also announced it has entered into a definitive agreement for
> the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN
> Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by
> Microsoft Corporation, for $450 million in cash, which cash payment is
> reflected in the merger consideration to be paid by Attachmate
> Corporation," the press release reads.
>
> Attachmate plans to run Novell's SUSE Linux business, according to the
> announcement, and it's not yet clear which--if any--of Novell's
> Linux-based assets will end up in Microsoft's hands. If Unix is involved
> in those assets, however, it won't be good news for Linux or open source
> software in general.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211414/microsofts_hand_in_novell_deal_bodes_ill_for_linux.html
>
> Now it's the Vole's turn to play the role of SCO.

The article is a piece of FUD in part (the last sentence you quote).

Bullshit. We've been living with this threat for a dozen years.

I'm not sure if this marks the road to SCO or to "Microsoft -- Your Premier
Linux Vendor".

As for Microsoft, its primary purpose in participating in the deal was
doubtless to prevent Novell from ending up in the hands of VMware, one of
its key competitors.

Or, as a commentor notes, MS is buying it to kill it. That same commentor
FUDS OpenOffice, by the way.

--
Troubled day for virgins over 16 who are beautiful and wealthy and live
in eucalyptus trees.

Homer

Nov 23, 2010, 9:49:49 PM11/23/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

> Homer pulled this Usenet face plant:

>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211414/microsofts_hand_in_novell_deal_bodes_ill_for_linux.html

>> Now it's the Vole's turn to play the role of SCO.
>
> The article is a piece of FUD in part (the last sentence you quote).
>
> Bullshit. We've been living with this threat for a dozen years.

It may be the author is ill-motivated, but the threat is real
nonetheless.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

--
K. | [ubuntu]
http://slated.org |
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on sky | 1. Ancient African word meaning

kernel 2.6.31.5, up 40 days | 'I can't configure Debian'

Homer

Nov 23, 2010, 10:29:24 PM11/23/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Justin spake thusly:

> In article <rarrr7-...@sky.matrix>, Homer <use...@slated.org>
> wrote:

>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211414/microsofts_hand_in_novell_deal_bodes_ill_for_linux.html

>> Now it's the Vole's turn to play the role of SCO.
>
> Don't be such a pessimist.
> The current "rumor" is Microsoft is dumping the NT kernel for Windows
> 8. Perhaps Microsoft is going to use this access for their next OS.

Yes, Microsoft is going to dump its entire base of one billion users,
forcing every one of them to install an OS incompatible with Windows,
and forcing them to buy new software to replace all of their existing
applications.

And as an extra bonus, the dilemma of having to switch to an alien OS,
one way or another, will force said users to consider the alternatives,
since none of the options are Windows compatible anyway, and so one
might just as well choose GNU/Linux or Mac OS X instead of Microsoft
UNIX.

Brilliant.

> IMagine, a unix like version of Windows. Instantly all those viruses,
> spyware, malware, dickware are obsolete.
> MS already has access to 'run' unix apps via the alliance with Sun.
> Windows 7 Enterprise already has UNIX application support.

Imagine there's no Windows
It's easy if you try
No BSOD before us
Wave that crap goodbye