Hewlett-Packard's commitment to Linux

Homer

Nov 20, 2010, 1:03:05 PM11/20/10
Worth remembering:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/600004-0-0-0-121.html

That's an impressive list for a hardware company.

[quote]
We do a lot more than talk about open source and our track record is a
clear indication that we are seriously committed to the growth,
maturity, and success of open source. We’re a solutions provider, active
user, and a longstanding member working side by side with communities
all over the world. Today, 1,000’s of developers across our company are
focused on Linux and open source projects while many more service
professionals are involved in the implementation and support of Linux
and open source projects for our customers.
[/quote]

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/599999-0-0-0-121.html

[quote]
Welcome to the home of Hewlett-Packard's Linux Imaging and Printing
software (HPLIP).

Chances are, your Linux system already has the HPLIP software installed.
That's because all major Linux distributions regularly pick up the HPLIP
software and include it with their distribution installation. However,
if it is not installed or you need to upgrade to a newer HPLIP version
to support your printer, you've come to the right place.

On this website you can download the HPLIP software which supports 2,004
HP printers on nearly any Linux distribution available today.
[/quote]

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

[quote]
HPLIP (Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging & Printing) is an HP-developed
solution for printing, scanning, and faxing with HP inkjet and laser
based printers in Linux. The HPLIP project provides printing support for
2,004 printer models, including Deskjet, Officejet, Photosmart, PSC
(Print Scan Copy), Business Inkjet, LaserJet, Edgeline MFP, and LaserJet
MFP. (Note: Not all models are currently supported. See Supported
Printers for more information.)

HPLIP is free, open source software distributed under the MIT, BSD, and
GPL license. See the Licensing Information page for more information.

HP does not provide formal consumer or commercial support for this
software. Support is provided informally through a series of resources
at Launchpad.net website, and on this HP sponsored website.
[/quote]

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/about.html

Also note: most of the (very few) "unsupported" devices are in fact
supported, but with proprietary software provided by HP (not HPLIP).

[Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Hewlett-Packard]

--
K. | [ubuntu]
http://slated.org |

TomB

Nov 20, 2010, 1:52:53 PM11/20/10
On 2010-11-20, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:

HP has always given a lot of support for GNU/Linux. Their Proliant
server range comes with an awful lot of GNU/Linux utilities and
drivers.

If only all companies where that committed.

--
The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents,
and the second half by our children.

Snit

Nov 20, 2010, 2:18:32 PM11/20/10
Homer stated in post p3flr7...@sky.matrix on 11/20/10 11:03 AM:

> Worth remembering:
>
> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/600004-0-0-0-121.html
>
> That's an impressive list for a hardware company.
>
> [quote]
> We do a lot more than talk about open source and our track record is a
> clear indication that we are seriously committed to the growth,

> maturity, and success of open source. Weąre a solutions provider, active

> user, and a longstanding member working side by side with communities

> all over the world. Today, 1,000ąs of developers across our company are

Excellent. One of the things I like about Apple is all of the open source
products they use and support.

<http://www.apple.com/opensource/>
<http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1065/>

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Norman Peelman

Nov 20, 2010, 3:18:45 PM11/20/10

I'll never buy anything but HP printers (based on quality), and since
i've found out how much they support Linux - that's a lock in.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 21, 2010, 8:05:23 AM11/21/10
Homer pulled this Usenet face plant:

> Worth remembering:
>
> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/600004-0-0-0-121.html
>
> That's an impressive list for a hardware company.

Somebody ought to tell ZnU that a project with many "sponsors" is quite
unlikely to die, leaving the bizznizzman stranded and maintaining the code
with his own money.

--
By the way, I can hardly feel sorry for you... All last night I had to listen
to her tears, so great they were redirected to a stream. What? Of _course_

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 21, 2010, 8:08:22 AM11/21/10
TomB pulled this Usenet face plant:

> On 2010-11-20, the following emerged from the brain of Homer:
>> Worth remembering:
>>
>> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/600004-0-0-0-121.html
>>
>> That's an impressive list for a hardware company.
>

> HP has always given a lot of support for GNU/Linux. Their Proliant
> server range comes with an awful lot of GNU/Linux utilities and
> drivers.
>
> If only all companies where that committed.

Even DELL has its foot in the door:

http://content.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/linux.aspx?cs=555

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&l=en&cs=19

--
People (a group that in my opinion has always attracted an undue amount of
attention) have often been likened to snowflakes. This analogy is meant to

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 21, 2010, 8:11:20 AM11/21/10
Norman Peelman pulled this Usenet face plant:

> Homer wrote:
>> Worth remembering:
>>
>> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/600004-0-0-0-121.html
>>
>> That's an impressive list for a hardware company.
>

> I'll never buy anything but HP printers (based on quality), and since
> i've found out how much they support Linux - that's a lock in.

Actually, I've gotten different large all-in-one business printers to
work very well with Linux:

- HP (of course!)
- Xerox
- Canon
- Kyocera

And, on the home front:

- Brother
- Epson all-in-one (that one took a lot of legwork, though)
- HP (a fsckin' WinPrinter, had to track down drivers to use it with NT!)

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.