Palm with Linux Easier Than with OS X and Windows

Roy Schestowitz

May 3, 2006, 6:47:26 AM5/3/06
Why is it that people *still* hypothesize that handheld synchronisation under
Linux is rocket science? Palm support is no longer immature.

Take Ubuntu and SuSE** for example. All that is involved in both cases is
plugging in your Palm cradle to the port, then opening kpilot or gpilot
(both distributions have an icon in the menu 'out of the box', for
_default-type_ installation). Then, all you need to do is hit the Sync
button and hit Next, Next, Finish. All done. Subsequently, the Palm daemons
will run in the background. Setup, as described above, is far simpler than
the equivalent on Mac OS X and Windows. This wasn't necessarily the case in
the past, as the famous out-of-date HOTTO would suggest:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html

That was the past, *not* the present. Maybe it still suits some stubborn
Gentoo users.

There are also synchronisationtolls for Windows Mobile, by the way. There is
an active project in sourceforge, which goes back a year/years into the
past.

**My favoured Debian/GNOME and KDE distributions; also the ones with which I
have most experience.

Ryan Case

May 3, 2006, 9:53:19 AM5/3/06

I sync my toshiba pocketpc running windows mobile with my Ubuntu box at
home no problem.

It did take about 10 minutes to get working though. If you count reboots
that is prolly close to how long it took on the xp machine with supplied
drivers etc.

Ryan

Roy Schestowitz

May 3, 2006, 10:00:05 AM5/3/06
__/ [ Ryan Case ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 14:53 \__

I have no experience with synchronisation of PocketPC, but I can assure you
that with Palm handhelds the 'running cost/time' seems higher in Windows
(Macs use essentially the same software: HotSync Manager and Palm Desktop).

I synchronised with Windows for over 3 years and it gave me far more hassle
than KPilot and GPilot (error prompts, daemons die). Actually, last month I
had to reboot SuSE (after 4-5 months of uptime). KPilot refused to identify
the conduit, but the reboot resolved this.

With kind regards,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX Ś PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E