Windows Phone 7 flopts, Ballmer prepares his exit

Kulin Remailer

Nov 13, 2010, 11:13:55 PM11/13/10
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1895417/microsoft-failing-
shift-windows-phone-handsets

Only a couple thousand handsets were sold, whilst Android (=Linux you
Wintroll faggots) is selling hundreds of thousands every month!!! I've
predicted that Windows Phone 7 would crash-and-burn, and here's the
proof! Oh sure, it will take a couple of months for the trend to become
visible, but WP7 is a non-performer.

Meanwhile Ballmer is cashing his stock options to prepare a soft
nestegg for retirement, he knows his days are now numbered. Good
riddance!

Hadron

Nov 13, 2010, 11:23:04 PM11/13/10
Kulin Remailer <rema...@reece.net.au> writes:

Any bias or bullshit in the article. YOU decide ...

"Market researchers claim that the Vole's WP7 handset ..."

Zzzz.....

And some real numbers :-

,----
| I'm sorry but the whole premise of the post and subsequent anti MS
| trolling is I'll informed twaddle I'm afraid.
|
| windows phone 7 has, we're told sold 40k units on day 1. Googles Nexus 1
| sold 135k units over 74 days. The droid sold 100k units in it's first
| weekend.
|
| If WP7 did 40k in one day and 80k over two it's not far behind Droid and
| on track to do way better than Nexus 1
|
| Given MS are launching into a market already saturated with smart
| phones, with a less than perfect reputation, with supply constraints Id
| say they're shaping up to start taking back ground nicely.
|
| WP7 was never going to pass iOS or Android straight away, but I suspect
| 6 months from now the two gorillas are going to be looking over their
| shoulders at WP7 coming up behind them.
`----

Looks like another of your lame predictions is hosed..

Glenn Hall

Nov 13, 2010, 11:46:03 PM11/13/10
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 05:23:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Any bias or bullshit in the article. YOU decide ...
>
> "Market researchers claim that the Vole's WP7 handset ..."
>
> Zzzz.....
>
> And some real numbers :-

Don't know anything about sales numbers but no cut and paste and a
pita to use custom ring tones is a deal breaker for many.
Both are trivial on the iPhone and Android for that matter.

Steel

Nov 13, 2010, 11:52:59 PM11/13/10

Why do you even care? There is something wrong with you. It's asylum
time for you, and your days are numbered before they track you down.
Your medications already do not work anymore.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Nov 14, 2010, 1:21:10 AM11/14/10
In message <1xbjqj1gz2nqj$.18mzc2p0r94uf$.d...@40tude.net>, Glenn Hall wrote:

> Don't know anything about sales numbers but no cut and paste and a
> pita to use custom ring tones is a deal breaker for many.
> Both are trivial on the iPhone and Android for that matter.

But neither of them had it when they first came out either, so you mustn’t
hold Dimdows Phone 7 to the same standard. Instead, you must pretend it’s
still 2008 as far as the product and its customers are concerned. Otherwise,
it’s just not fair.

Glenn Hall

Nov 14, 2010, 1:27:43 AM11/14/10

Yea but I couldn't buy alternatives back in 2008 :)
These days, why would I look at a Winfone circa 2008 when I can
get an iPhone or Android that blows the Winfone to pieces?
I looked at them today and I will say the display is gorgeous and
it feels like a quality device that will not fall apart. Androids
are variable, the iPhone is solid IMHO.
I just can't see this device gaining any momentum unless Microsoft
has something up it's sleeve.
It's just not as good as other phones.

RonB

Nov 14, 2010, 2:09:47 AM11/14/10
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:27:43 -0500, Glenn Hall wrote:

> I looked at them today and I will say the display is gorgeous and it
> feels like a quality device that will not fall apart. Androids are
> variable, the iPhone is solid IMHO.

Androids are being sold at all price points, so naturally some will be
nicer than others. Apparently there are some ten or so that will be sold
for under $50, and at least one that will be given away with a plan.

Choice is good.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

ZnU

Nov 14, 2010, 10:02:09 AM11/14/10
In article <ibnv4m$g6i$2...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,

While it might be annoying for early adopters that WP7 presently lacks
these features, it's actually a really good sign that Microsoft had the
discipline to build something like a minimum viable product, rather than
getting bogged down in feature creep and taking an extra year to get to
market.

(What's a little less impressive is that they didn't manage to
demonstrate they understood the use case well enough to figure out the
scope of the minimum viable product themselves; instead they just looked
to what already worked for Apple.)

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it

Bob Hauck

Nov 14, 2010, 6:46:52 PM11/14/10
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:02:09 -0500, ZnU <z...@fake.invalid> wrote:

[Windows Phone 7]

> (What's a little less impressive is that they didn't manage to
> demonstrate they understood the use case well enough to figure out the
> scope of the minimum viable product themselves; instead they just looked
> to what already worked for Apple.)

I think that is pretty much what Microsoft has always done, i.e. "We're
going to take their good ideas and make them our good ideas".

--
-| Bob Hauck (Brother Nail Gun of The Short Path)
-| http://www.haucks.org/

Homer

Nov 14, 2010, 7:42:28 PM11/14/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Bob Hauck spake thusly:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:02:09 -0500, ZnU <z...@fake.invalid> wrote:
>
> [Windows Phone 7]
>
>> (What's a little less impressive is that they didn't manage to
>> demonstrate they understood the use case well enough to figure out
>> the scope of the minimum viable product themselves; instead they just
>> looked to what already worked for Apple.)
>
> I think that is pretty much what Microsoft has always done, i.e.
> "We're going to take their good ideas and make them our good ideas".

And then totally botch the implementation of those plagiarised ideas.

--
K. | [ubuntu]
http://slated.org |

ZnU

Nov 15, 2010, 11:50:25 AM11/15/10
In article <k8c6r7-...@sky.matrix>, Homer <use...@slated.org>
wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Bob Hauck spake thusly:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:02:09 -0500, ZnU <z...@fake.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > [Windows Phone 7]
> >
> >> (What's a little less impressive is that they didn't manage to
> >> demonstrate they understood the use case well enough to figure out
> >> the scope of the minimum viable product themselves; instead they just
> >> looked to what already worked for Apple.)
> >
> > I think that is pretty much what Microsoft has always done, i.e.
> > "We're going to take their good ideas and make them our good ideas".
>
> And then totally botch the implementation of those plagiarised ideas.

They appear to have managed to not do that with WP7. I'm as surprised as
anyone.

Gordon

Nov 15, 2010, 11:58:04 AM11/15/10
On 15/11/2010 16:50, ZnU wrote:

> They appear to have managed to not do that with WP7. I'm as surprised as
> anyone.

What I find absolutely extraordinary, and another example of MS's
un-joined-up thinking, is that the Windows phone will NOT, natively,
synch with Outlook! How silly is that?

Glenn Hall

Nov 15, 2010, 1:21:06 PM11/15/10

When I first read that I had to double check to see if it's
correct and it is. Pretty foolish IMHO. Microsoft's commercials
are nice though.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 15, 2010, 3:16:12 PM11/15/10
Glenn Hall pulled this Usenet face plant:

Microsoft are just setting themselves up to sell "Outlook Live!" that
you can add to your phone for only $49.

--
The departing division general manager met a last time with his young
successor and gave him three envelopes. "My predecessor did this for me,
and I'll pass the tradition along to you," he said. "At the first sign
of trouble, open the first envelope. Any further difficulties, open the
second envelope. Then, if problems continue, open the third envelope.
Good luck." The new manager returned to his office and tossed the envelopes
into a drawer.
Six months later, costs soared and earnings plummeted. Shaken, the
young man opened the first envelope, which said, "Blame it all on me."
The next day, he held a press conference and did just that. The
crisis passed.
Six months later, sales dropped precipitously. The beleaguered
manager opened the second envelope. It said, "Reorganize."
He held another press conference, announcing that the division
would be restructured. The crisis passed.
A year later, everything went wrong at once and the manager was
blamed for all of it. The harried executive closed his office door, sank
into his chair, and opened the third envelope.
"Prepare three envelopes..." it said.

ZnU

Nov 15, 2010, 3:18:28 PM11/15/10
In article <ibroqr$3mt$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Gordon <gordon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It's not especially silly in the context of getting a "minimum viable
product" to market as fast as possible, which was a reasonable approach
for Microsoft to take with the first version of WP7, given that they had
no viable product on the market at all, and their competitors did.

It _will_ be silly they let this sort of thing persist for too long. Now
that they actually have a product, they have to move aggressively to
match important features of iOS and Android.

RonB

Nov 15, 2010, 3:33:15 PM11/15/10
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:16:12 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Glenn Hall pulled this Usenet face plant:

>>> What I find absolutely extraordinary, and another example of MS's
>>> un-joined-up thinking, is that the Windows phone will NOT, natively,
>>> synch with Outlook! How silly is that?
>>
>> When I first read that I had to double check to see if it's correct and
>> it is. Pretty foolish IMHO.
>
> Microsoft are just setting themselves up to sell "Outlook Live!" that
> you can add to your phone for only $49.

Amazing. So Phone 7 needs the same service Microsoft sells for other
smartphones? The one feature you would think they would include to give
Phone 7 the advantage, they don't. Insane. Is there something wrong with
the air in Redmond? Or has their greed completely blinded these bozos to
the reality of the situation?

Glenn Hall

Nov 15, 2010, 3:37:21 PM11/15/10
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:16:12 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Glenn Hall pulled this Usenet face plant:

>>> What I find absolutely extraordinary, and another example of MS's
>>> un-joined-up thinking, is that the Windows phone will NOT, natively,
>>> synch with Outlook! How silly is that?
>>
>> When I first read that I had to double check to see if it's
>> correct and it is. Pretty foolish IMHO.
>
> Microsoft are just setting themselves up to sell "Outlook Live!" that
> you can add to your phone for only $49.

It wouldn't surprise me! I just don't get Microsoft at all.

RonB

Nov 15, 2010, 3:40:20 PM11/15/10

It looks like the Exchange ActiveSync service sells for $49 a year, so
that looks to be exactly what Microsoft is angling for.

Gordon

Nov 15, 2010, 4:17:15 PM11/15/10
On 15/11/2010 20:40, RonB wrote:

> It looks like the Exchange ActiveSync service sells for $49 a year, so
> that looks to be exactly what Microsoft is angling for.

You mean like the CAL con? You know, you pay for the server OS, then you
pay for the Workstation OS then you pay again to allow the Workstation
OS (which you have already purchased) to access the Server OS (which
again you have already purchased!) I admire MS's barefaced extortion
over that and cannot understand how businesses large and small fell for
the con.

RonB

Nov 15, 2010, 5:30:36 PM11/15/10

I didn't even realize Microsoft did that. Their greed will kill them.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 16, 2010, 6:34:45 AM11/16/10
RonB pulled this Usenet face plant:

Heh. I make joke! It true! Heh!