Linux Internet Telephone Program "I Hear U" Works Great!

Mark S Bilk

May 28, 2011, 7:19:03 PM5/28/11
The "I Hear U" (IHU) VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
program for Linux is very easy to install and use. Just
download the statically-linked binary, open one port in
your firewall (and router if you use one), and plug in
a $2 microphone. It's open source, and very well
documented.

IHU does not use the SIP protocol, and communicates
only with other copies of itself. But the statically-linked
binary should work on every kind of Linux.

You have to know the IP-address of the person you're
calling. You can find your IP-address by looking in this file
if you're on DHCP: /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.info
or by looking at a Received header of a Bcc copy of an
e-mail you sent, or simply by browsing to this website:
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

You enter the IP-address of the person you're calling into
a slot in the IHU window, press a button, and you're
connected! (The first time you use the program, you may
want to be on a text chat with the person so you can set the
audio options in IHU. But that only has to be done once.)

I've spent hours recently using IHU to talk with people
on the other side of the planet! The voice clarity is
excellent, and the connection is solid.

http://ihu.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy!

flatfish+++

May 28, 2011, 8:13:57 PM5/28/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 16:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Mark S Bilk wrote:

> The "I Hear U" (IHU) VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
> program for Linux is very easy to install and use. Just
> download the statically-linked binary, open one port in
> your firewall (and router if you use one), and plug in
> a $2 microphone. It's open source, and very well
> documented.
>
> IHU does not use the SIP protocol, and communicates
> only with other copies of itself. But the statically-linked
> binary should work on every kind of Linux.

So you can only talk to people who are using the same program, "I Hear
U" ?
IOW you can't talk to people using Skype or SIP based VOIP programs?

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Clog_-_wog (®)

May 29, 2011, 4:30:12 AM5/29/11
"flatfish+++" <flat...@marianatrench.com> schreef in bericht

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 16:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Mark S Bilk wrote:
>
>> The "I Hear U" (IHU) VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
>> program for Linux is very easy to install and use. Just
>> download the statically-linked binary, open one port in
>> your firewall (and router if you use one), and plug in
>> a $2 microphone. It's open source, and very well
>> documented.
>>
>> IHU does not use the SIP protocol, and communicates
>> only with other copies of itself. But the statically-linked
>> binary should work on every kind of Linux.
>
> So you can only talk to people who are using the same program, "I Hear
> U" ?
> IOW you can't talk to people using Skype or SIP based VOIP programs?

How many (l)users are using "I Hear U"? (never heard of it)
Maybe 20 users globally?, hysterical! bwahahahahaaah!
Another fine piece of freetard crapware!

Hadron

May 29, 2011, 4:33:33 AM5/29/11

Yes. Not exactly a good advert for FOSS and open standards.