[News] [Rival] Brad Smith, Bill Gates, and Steve Ballmer Lobby Washington for Self Interest

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 16, 2010, 2:28:49 AM6/16/10

Ian Hilliard

Jun 16, 2010, 6:42:16 AM6/16/10

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 6:52:10 AM6/16/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message
news:4c18aa8e$1...@news.x-privat.org...

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 9:26:03 AM6/16/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message
news:4c18c2ef$1...@news.x-privat.org...

It's not that difficult of a question - simply look at how it's generally
been done in the past.

Most of the research and development of the technology is going to be
private - the govt. grants money to companies which do most of the work. The
govt does not pay for 100% of the cost but rather subsidizes what the
companies are investing themselves.

In return the govt gets free unrestricted access to the technology that gets
developed. The govt does some research on it's own to further develop the
technology for specific govt applications (space exploration, military,
etc.)

Ian Hilliard

Jun 16, 2010, 10:35:30 AM6/16/10

This is exactly the point that I was making. Gates and Co. are lobbying
government, hence the taxpayers, to finance development of new energy
technologies, which will belong to the companies doing the development.
The companies will then charge the taxpayers to use the technology.

If the taxpayers are paying for the technology, they should also own it,
hence the technology should go into public domain, so that those who
paid for the technology also get to use it for free. We all know that
that won't happen.

These people are lobbying the government in their own self interest,
which comes back to my original statement: Politics is about pushing the

agenda of a minority against the best interest of the majority.

Ian

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 10:48:05 AM6/16/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message

For starters "Gates and Co" are very unlikely to own any of this renewable
energy technology. Last I checked he once ran a software company, not a
energy company.

> If the taxpayers are paying for the technology, they should also own it,
> hence the technology should go into public domain,

When it's your turn to run the world you can do things your way. But given
that these companies are putting Billions of their own dollars into this
they expect to get something in return for their risk.

> so that those who
> paid for the technology also get to use it for free. We all know that
> that won't happen.

Ah yes... these companies risk billions of their own dollars developing the
technology and IF they succeed - they should give it all away free.

Yes, taxpayers did pay for a portion of this but we didn't pay for ALL of
it.

> These people are lobbying the government in their own self interest,

Because "Gates and Co." run energy companies that will profit from this?

> which comes back to my original statement: Politics is about pushing the
> agenda of a minority against the best interest of the majority.

It's in the interest of EVERYONE to have clean sustainable energy.

Phil Da Lick!

Jun 16, 2010, 9:41:40 AM6/16/10

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 16, 2010, 11:57:23 AM6/16/10
Ezekiel ululated:

> "Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message
>>>

>> This is exactly the point that I was making. Gates and Co. are lobbying
>> government, hence the taxpayers, to finance development of new energy
>> technologies, which will belong to the companies doing the development.
>> The companies will then charge the taxpayers to use the technology.
>
> For starters "Gates and Co" are very unlikely to own any of this renewable
> energy technology. Last I checked he once ran a software company, not a
> energy company.

Well, maybe the "charitable foundation" he owns now is a good stepping stone
to owning an energy company.

<Note: I am joking.>

>> which comes back to my original statement: Politics is about pushing the
>> agenda of a minority against the best interest of the majority.
>
> It's in the interest of EVERYONE to have clean sustainable energy.

Of course, though, the beat goes on... the beat goes on....

--
Garbage In, Gospel Out

Hadron

Jun 16, 2010, 12:05:34 PM6/16/10
Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> writes:

Jesus you're a sad packer.

How many people have you paid to be inoculated against small pox or how
many wells have you paid for so people can drink fresh water.

Where the hell do you get off talking such total and utter bollox?

The guy made himself a billionaire, has more than enough and is trying
to make the world a better place with his wealth.

The likes of you and Roy make me want to puke when you start this
libellous drivel.

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 12:09:39 PM6/16/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message

Clearly you can show how he's personally profitting from his charity, can't
you?

Gee... should I believe a world renowned expert on philantropy like you. Or
should I believe what some of the most renowned charities, foundations and
philanthropic groups in the world have to say about this?

These are the questions.....

Moshe

Jun 16, 2010, 12:13:29 PM6/16/10
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:57:23 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
wrote:

> Of course, though, the beat goes on... the beat goes on....

"Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da"

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 12:13:17 PM6/16/10

"Hadron" <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Clearly the Gates Foundation was able to even fool Warren Buffett. That
silly old coot donated most of his life's fortune to the Gates Foundation.
If he had only done his homework like Ian and Schestowitz have he would have
known that the money really goes into a secret bank personal bank account
belonging to Gates.

Ian Hilliard

Jun 16, 2010, 1:24:19 PM6/16/10

Of course Gates profits. He profits in the power that all that money in
the Gates Foundation has to throw around. The fact is that the Gates
Foundation only gives the minimum amount of money that it has to to
remain a charity.

If you look closely, the Gates Foundation is investing in a lot of start
up technologies. Unlike the government, Bill Gates is not a silent
investor. Bill Gates is using his money to put himself in the middle of
a number of emerging technologies and by claiming to be a charity, he
does not have to pay tax.

Ian

Hadron

Jun 16, 2010, 1:47:57 PM6/16/10
Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> writes:

I think you're projecting on your own desire to hold power. He was / is
the richest man in the world. I somehow think he knows his own power and
doesnt need/want anymore.

> the Gates Foundation has to throw around. The fact is that the Gates
> Foundation only gives the minimum amount of money that it has to to
> remain a charity.

And this is a fact based on what? What the great philanthropy expert and
project manager extraordinaire Ian Hilliard says?

> If you look closely, the Gates Foundation is investing in a lot of start
> up technologies. Unlike the government, Bill Gates is not a silent
> investor. Bill Gates is using his money to put himself in the middle of
> a number of emerging technologies and by claiming to be a charity, he
> does not have to pay tax.
>
> Ian

You're a paranoid, dishonest lunatic. You do know that don't you?

How on EARTH does he "claim" to be a charity and not actually BE a
charity when he travels the world determining the worthwhile causes he
donates millions to.

I had had hopes for you. Now I see you really are just a nasty, bitter
and jealous freetard who detests other people success.

You give nothing.

Ian Hilliard

Jun 16, 2010, 1:49:05 PM6/16/10

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 1:53:56 PM6/16/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message

Only gives the "minimum" - your complete lack of proof noted.

During 2007-2008 the foundation donated over $58 Billion dollars. I never
realized that $58 Billion was the "minimum" to be considered a charity.

(From other post)
- "Organisations like Rotary spend a lot more money than the Gates

Foundation on fighting Polio, Malaria and providing clean drinking water."

Are there any other random non-substantiated claims you want to make while
you're at it?

> If you look closely, the Gates Foundation is investing in a lot of start
> up technologies. Unlike the government, Bill Gates is not a silent
> investor. Bill Gates is using his money to put himself in the middle of
> a number of emerging technologies and by claiming to be a charity, he
> does not have to pay tax.

Don't go into accounting. Only in *your* mind someone is "saving" $300
million in taxes by donating $1 Billion dollars. If that was the case why
don't you take out a $1 million dollar loan, donate the money and you'll
come out ahead because of the taxes you won't have to pay.

This is beyond stupid.

Hadron

Jun 16, 2010, 1:54:42 PM6/16/10
Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> writes:

Bad example. And trust you to be so pedantic.

> Organisations like Rotary spend a lot more money than the Gates
> Foundation on fighting Polio, Malaria and providing clean drinking
> water. These organisations do not seek a quid pro quo. They do it out of
> goodness.

What are you talking about?

>> Where the hell do you get off talking such total and utter bollox?
>>

> I know, love makes you blind. Still, the item of ones adoration is not
> always as we wish to see them.

Love? What the fuck are you talking about?

>> The guy made himself a billionaire, has more than enough and is trying
>> to make the world a better place with his wealth.
>>

> Bill Gates made is money by leveraging his control of the OS, handed to
> him by IBM, to kill off the competition and take over the markets that
> others had created.

You're a sad bitter, hateful man. I feel sorry for you.

> Gates is a great strategist. He knew to use his father's legal skills,

Oh FFS.

> his mother's connections and his friend, Steve Balmer's marketing skills
> to pitch computing at the masses and then control it. He stopped the
> PC

You mean like all businesses utilitse skills, friends and contacts?

Why so bitter Ian?

> manufacturers from being able to compete on anything but price and specs
> in order to force the price of hardware down. This meant that more
> computers could be sold and Microsoft could sell more software.

You really are an idiot. Be sure of that.

> Most of all, Bill Gates understood that you can control the end user by
> controlling their data. To this day, Microsoft fights against using real
> open standards and this relinquishes control of the data.

How very sad. There are open alternatives. Most data handling SW running on the PC
isnt from MS and if it is they dont "control" anything.

Why so bitter and resentful and dishonest Ian?

>> The likes of you and Roy make me want to puke when you start this
>> libellous drivel.
>
> The statement is in no way libellous. It is simply a statement of
> fact.

It is not a fact. You are a paranoid fruit loop.

> If you would care to look, you would see that I am right. Still, I
> guess

You are not right. You're a raving lunatic.

> that you have to be excused. You do seem to be singularly incapable of
> seeing the big picture.

I can see it a lot better than you who is fixated on Gates and his
history.

You're a sad man. You need help.

> Ian

Ian Hilliard

Jun 16, 2010, 2:37:12 PM6/16/10

High Plains Thumper

Jun 16, 2010, 3:09:05 PM6/16/10
Phil Da Lick! wrote:
> Ian Hilliard wrote:

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft calls on Washington companies to work together on
>>> policy
>>>
>>> http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/210714.asp?from=blog_last3
>>>
>>> with Nathan the troll... wanting his government to fund it.
>>
>> Politics is about pushing the agenda of a minority against the
>> best interest of the majority.
>
> Politics is more about getting yourself into a position of power so
> you can allow special interest groups to push a minority agenda
> against the interest of the majority in return for a nice doggy drop
> or cushy number when you leave office.

Trolling in COLA is more about getting the troll's socks into a position
of defence so they can allow off topics to push a lusing agenda against
the interest of the majority for the charter in return for a nice doggy
drop or cushy laptop whilst being unemployed.

--
HPT
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 3:36:40 PM6/16/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message

So in your mind you're some sort of harbinger of truth. You say things as
*you* see them in your mind. There's not evidence at all that this is some
of "truth."

(other post)

> The statement is in no way libellous. It is simply a statement of fact.

A "fact" that you have yet to support in any way, shape or form.

> If you would care to look, you would see that I am right.

Who's anonymous blog should we look at to find this "truth" you speak of -
BoycottNovell?

Tim Smith

Jun 16, 2010, 3:53:19 PM6/16/10
In article <4c18aa8e$1...@news.x-privat.org>,

Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote:

> Politics is about pushing the agenda of a minority against the best
> interest of the majority.

Clean energy research is against the best interests of the majority?

--
--Tim Smith

Hadron

Jun 16, 2010, 3:57:34 PM6/16/10
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

Ian is a loony. That much is plain to see.

Only a loony would make such a sweeping and fundamentally flawed
statement as if it was the incontrovertible truth.

Tim Smith

Jun 16, 2010, 3:58:04 PM6/16/10
In article <4c18e138$1...@news.x-privat.org>,

Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote:
> These people are lobbying the government in their own self interest,
> which comes back to my original statement: Politics is about pushing the
> agenda of a minority against the best interest of the majority.

Your reasoning is fundamentally flawed. It assumes that the
self-interest of the one doing the lobbying cannot align with the best
interest of the majority.

--
--Tim Smith

Moshe

Jun 16, 2010, 4:16:23 PM6/16/10

We should all believe Dr. Schestowitz because he has
friends in high places.....

Moshe

Jun 16, 2010, 4:17:37 PM6/16/10

Bang zoom!!!!!!

Ever notice it's always the leeches like Spamowitz and
[Homer] who are the first to attack people who made a
lot of money and try and share some of it via charities.

Tim Smith

Jun 16, 2010, 4:23:31 PM6/16/10
In article <4c18f415$1...@news.x-privat.org>,

Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote:

> Gates now runs an investment company in the guise of a charity.

In the same sense that Harvard runs an investment company in the guise
of a university.

I'm curious--what do you think a charity with a large endowment should
do with the money? Can you name any purported charity with a large
endowment that you would *not* consider to be an "investment company in
the guise of a charity"?

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jun 16, 2010, 4:25:22 PM6/16/10
In article <hvb33m$6cs$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

"Ezekiel" <not-...@the-zeke.com> wrote:
> (From other post)
> - "Organisations like Rotary spend a lot more money than the Gates
> Foundation on fighting Polio, Malaria and providing clean drinking water."

According to Schestowitz, Gates is *causing* polio.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jun 16, 2010, 4:44:57 PM6/16/10
In article <4c19...@news.x-privat.org>,

Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote:

> Organisations like Rotary spend a lot more money than the Gates
> Foundation on fighting Polio, Malaria and providing clean drinking
> water. These organisations do not seek a quid pro quo. They do it out of
> goodness.

Uhm, where do you think Rotary gets a lot of their money? For example:

Your contribution will help Rotary raise $200 million to match $355
million in challenge grants received from the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation. The resulting $555 million will directly support
immunization campaigns in developing countries, where polio
continues to infect and paralyze children, robbing them of their
futures and compounding the hardships faced by their families

<http://www.rotary.org/en/serviceandfellowship/polio/pages/ridefault.aspx

Rotary has contributed a total of $700 million to polio since 1985.

<http://www.rotary.org/en/ServiceAndFellowship/Polio/RotarysWork/Pages/po
lio_partners.aspx>

Looking at the Gates grant list, there's another $200 million or so
grants specifically on polio outside the program they are doing with
Rotary. That puts total Gates spending on polio so far at about 80% of
total Rotary spending. That doesn't sound like Rotary is spending "a lot
more" like you claim.

Looks like the Gates Foundations has spent about $180 million on water,
sanitation, and hygiene. I see over $1.5 billion on malaria so far. I
didn't see Rotary numbers for these, but if you've got a link showing
that Rotary has spent a "lot more" than $1.5 billion on malaria, post it.

--
--Tim Smith

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 16, 2010, 5:35:57 PM6/16/10
Ezekiel ululated:

<snip>

I haven't read this yet, but the concept looks interesting.

http://trustsandestates.com/wealth_watch/gates-foundation-venture-philanthropy1230/

The buzzword: philanthro-captilism.

I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
computer usage.

--
With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once
build a nuclear balm?

Ezekiel

Jun 16, 2010, 5:48:57 PM6/16/10

"Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message

> Ezekiel ululated:
>
> <snip>
>
> I haven't read this yet, but the concept looks interesting.
>

> http://trustsandestates.com/wealth_watch/gates-foundation-venture-philanthropy1230/
>
> The buzzword: philanthro-captilism.

It's interesting but from the article it's certainly not any sort of scam,
scheme or loophole that's being exploited.

<quote>
Although the $400 million program-related investments fund is dwarfed by the
$3.5 billion in grants made annually by the Gates Foundation, the fact that
the world's largest foundation is dipping its big toe into the world of
venture philanthropy may accelerate a nascent trend in philanthropy the way
the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" and the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts
Club Band" revolutionized popular music forever.

So, what is venture philanthropy and how do program-related investments play
a key role in it? The phrase "venture philanthropy" was coined in the 1960s
as an alternative strategy to merely having foundations write grant checks
and hope the recipients (usually public charities) would use the money
wisely. The concept is borrowed from venture capital and uses loans and
equity investments along with ongoing management and strategic assistance as
a way to help the recipient organizations become self-sufficient.
</quote>

Okay... it's "a way to help the recipient organizations become
self-sufficient." That seems like a very good thing to me.

> I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
> computer usage.

Have fun.

Moshe

Jun 16, 2010, 6:51:13 PM6/16/10
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:35:57 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
wrote:

> Ezekiel ululated:
>
> <snip>
>
> I haven't read this yet, but the concept looks interesting.
>
> http://trustsandestates.com/wealth_watch/gates-foundation-venture-philanthropy1230/
>
> The buzzword: philanthro-captilism.
>
> I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
> computer usage.

Sucking Roy's ass takes that much out of you Liarmutt?

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 16, 2010, 9:03:57 PM6/16/10
Ezekiel ululated:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message
>

>> I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
>> computer usage.
>
> Have fun.

Back, but I want to get off this computer soon, and I still have to test
some code.

--
Humor in the Court:
Q: Did you tell your lawyer that your husband had offered you indignities?

Gregory Shearman

Jun 16, 2010, 9:11:46 PM6/16/10

..when government money is used to create heavily patented products...
yes it is!

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Moshe

Jun 16, 2010, 9:15:08 PM6/16/10
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:03:57 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
wrote:

> Ezekiel ululated:

>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
>>> computer usage.
>>
>> Have fun.
>
> Back, but I want to get off this computer soon, and I still have to test
> some code.

Oh please......

Only Hadron believes you are a professional programmer,
I don't know why, but he does.
The rest of us know you are a basement dwelling wannabe.

Probably a help desk employee.

You haven't demonstrated a single reason for anyone to
believe you program for a living.

And even if you do, it's Windows programming, not Linux.

Ian Hilliard

Jun 17, 2010, 3:05:03 AM6/17/10

Ian Hilliard

Jun 17, 2010, 3:57:49 AM6/17/10
-----BEGIN PGP ThIGNED METhThAGE----- Hath: ThHA1

Tim Thmith wote:
Wotawianth, and I thpeak about them bekawthe I hafe pewthonaw
knowwedge, thpend theiw own money to go to the pwatheth and get the
wowk done. The fawue that Wotawy, Wionth, Kawatath and many othewth
pwofide, ith aktuaw hewp. They awe not an effowt to get piktuweth
taken by the pweth ow eawn honowawy degweeth ow efen pwofide bitth in
bank akkownt komputewth that get woft in wayewth of buweaukwathy. It
ith aktuaw hewp.

Inftead of wafting peopwe'th time with twowwing, you thouwd go off and
hewp in thethe pwatheth youwthewf. Then you wouwd know what I am
tawking about.

Ian -----BEGIN PGP ThIGNATUWE----- Vewthion: GnuPG f1.4.9
(GNU/Winukth) Komment: Uthing GnuPG with Mothiwwa -
http://enigmaiw.mothdef.owg

iEYEAWEThAAYFAkwZyWYAThgkQ0DthqYNwXtD4fmgThePw4WkET1th3WEA5P2OIGQ5qQw
oq4An1y3mThieGthThtha7KaWPIwgw79Db+m =n98kth -----END PGP
ThIGNATUWE-----

Phil Da Lick!

Jun 17, 2010, 4:47:25 AM6/17/10

lol

Ian Hilliard

Jun 17, 2010, 6:01:24 AM6/17/10

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 17, 2010, 6:45:04 AM6/17/10
Hadron ululated:

> Only a loony would make such a sweeping and fundamentally flawed
> statement as if it was the incontrovertible truth.

PKB

Ezekiel

Jun 17, 2010, 8:07:25 AM6/17/10

> Hadron wrote:
>> Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

>>> Clean energy research is against the best interests of the majority?
>>
>> Ian is a loony. That much is plain to see.
>>

> Just as Copernicus, Galileo, Martin Luther and Charles Darwin were
> loonies. They were loonies, because the told what they saw and
> understood to a world that is happier to believe lies.

Yeah... you're just like Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin and MLK. I'm amazed
that your fat head hasn't exploded yet from this ego problem you have.

>> Only a loony would make such a sweeping and fundamentally flawed
>> statement as if it was the incontrovertible truth.
>
> There is no fundamental flaw in the statement.

Which is why you have absolutely ZERO proof to backup your nonsense. Isn't
that right almight truth teller.

> The only flaw here is the
> rift between those who can not see past the propaganda and those who are
> open to see the facts as they really are.

It's quite amazing that these "facts" of yours have absolutely zero credible
evidence to back them up. In your world the Foundation donates the "legal
minimum" to remain a charity (zero evidence to backup your lies) and Gates
is donating BILLIONS of dollars to "save money" on his taxes. Simply put -
you are a conspiracy nut just like those 9-11 idiots.

> It is quite clear that the WinTrolls are in the former group.

It is quite clear that you will never show a single piece of credible
evidence to support your lies and ridiculous claims.

High Plains Thumper

Jun 17, 2010, 8:38:54 AM6/17/10
Mail2News nymthief of Ian Hilliard wrote:
> Tim Thmith wote:

>> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>>
>>> Organisations like Rotary spend a lot more money than the Gates
>>> Foundation on fighting Polio, Malaria and providing clean
>>> drinking water. These organisations do not seek a quid pro quo.
>>> They do it out of goodness.
>>
>> Uhm, [snip Tim's troll]

> Wotawianth, and I thpeak about them bekawthe I hafe pewthonaw
> [snip rest of troll babble]

Rather sad this familiar troll needs to nymthief an advocate's name and
steal bandwidth with its crappy post. All because of Ian's honesty and
positive postings on the Linux operating system.

[quote]
In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into
the competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of
the earth. Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated
with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
Bunny, and OS/2."

Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever.
make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the
mythology of the computer industry.

We want to place selection pressure on the companies and individuals
that show a genetic weakness for competitor's technologies, to make the
industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over time.
[/quote]

PDF page 55
Microsoft Evangelism
Comes vs. Microsoft court case

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

--
HPT

chrisv

Jun 17, 2010, 8:45:59 AM6/17/10
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
>computer usage.

You're a runner, too? How many miles/week? I do around 16...

chrisv

Jun 17, 2010, 8:55:33 AM6/17/10
Timmy wrote:

> Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote:
>>
>> Politics is about pushing the agenda of a minority against the best
>> interest of the majority.
>
>Clean energy research is against the best interests of the majority?

It certainly can be, "thinker".

Just because the "goal" is "good", does not mean that government
mandate to reallocate resources from taxpayers toward that goal is in
the best interests of the majority.

There's lots of worthy goals, all competing for resources. It's
usually best to let the market allocate resources.

On the other hand, it is, IMO, government's place to sometimes give
the market a "nudge", in the form of tax incentives. Gas taxes should
have raised in the US a long time ago, to discourage waste.

One Shot, One Kill

Jun 17, 2010, 10:09:00 AM6/17/10

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

chrisv is a liar. chrisv is a piece of shit.

Hadron

Jun 17, 2010, 10:36:58 AM6/17/10
"Ezekiel" <M...@Not-there.com> writes:

> "Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> Ian is a loony. That much is plain to see.
>>>

>> Just as Copernicus, Galileo, Martin Luther and Charles Darwin were
>> loonies. They were loonies, because the told what they saw and
>> understood to a world that is happier to believe lies.
>
> Yeah... you're just like Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin and MLK. I'm amazed
> that your fat head hasn't exploded yet from this ego problem you have.

I told you. Ian, or I am, is a legend in his own lunchtime. He might be
"son of Homer".

>>> Only a loony would make such a sweeping and fundamentally flawed
>>> statement as if it was the incontrovertible truth.
>>
>> There is no fundamental flaw in the statement.
>
> Which is why you have absolutely ZERO proof to backup your nonsense. Isn't
> that right almight truth teller.
>
>> The only flaw here is the
>> rift between those who can not see past the propaganda and those who are
>> open to see the facts as they really are.

Or you being a loony.

> It's quite amazing that these "facts" of yours have absolutely zero credible
> evidence to back them up. In your world the Foundation donates the "legal
> minimum" to remain a charity (zero evidence to backup your lies) and Gates
> is donating BILLIONS of dollars to "save money" on his taxes. Simply put -
> you are a conspiracy nut just like those 9-11 idiots.
>
>> It is quite clear that the WinTrolls are in the former group.
>
> It is quite clear that you will never show a single piece of credible
> evidence to support your lies and ridiculous claims.

Iam is a loony.

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 17, 2010, 11:24:44 AM6/17/10

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 17, 2010, 11:26:45 AM6/17/10

DFS

Jun 17, 2010, 1:05:55 PM6/17/10
On 6/16/2010 5:35 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Ezekiel ululated:
>
> <snip>
>
> I haven't read this yet, but the concept looks interesting.
>
> http://trustsandestates.com/wealth_watch/gates-foundation-venture-philanthropy1230/
>
> The buzzword: philanthro-captilism.
>
> I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
> computer usage.

What you need to do is learn how to stand up to that ball-busting wife
of yours.

DFS

Jun 17, 2010, 1:09:25 PM6/17/10
On 6/16/2010 3:09 PM, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Trolling in COLA is more about getting the troll's socks into a position
> of defence so they can allow off topics to push a lusing agenda against
> the interest of the majority for the charter in return for a nice doggy
> drop or cushy laptop whilst being unemployed.

Your crappy "Comes vs MS" posts aren't worth a doggie drop (let alone a
laptop).

Moshe

Jun 17, 2010, 1:28:01 PM6/17/10

HPT is an obsessed loon.

What kind of a fool collects and catalogs people's
posting history?

Ian Hilliard

Jun 17, 2010, 2:08:28 PM6/17/10

Ezekiel wrote:

> "Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> Ian is a loony. That much is plain to see.
>>>

>> Just as Copernicus, Galileo, Martin Luther and Charles Darwin were
>> loonies. They were loonies, because the told what they saw and
>> understood to a world that is happier to believe lies.
>
> Yeah... you're just like Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin and MLK. I'm
> amazed that your fat head hasn't exploded yet from this ego problem you
> have.

Martin Luther is not Martin Luther King. Martin Luther was a German
priest given the task of translating the accepted sections of the bible
into German. Having seen the truth, he realised that Catholicism had
lost its path from Christianity and had simply become self gratifying.
He lead the revolt that lead to Protestantism.

>>> Only a loony would make such a sweeping and fundamentally flawed
>>> statement as if it was the incontrovertible truth.
>>
>> There is no fundamental flaw in the statement.
>
> Which is why you have absolutely ZERO proof to backup your nonsense.
> Isn't that right almight truth teller.

When faced with a controversial statement, there are three sorts of
people. Those that have no opinion. Those that are willing to discuss
and those that are so insecure in their own beliefs that they are
unwilling to put their own beliefs to the test and as such they respond
with aggression and abuse. You seem to fit into the latter group.

>> The only flaw here is the
>> rift between those who can not see past the propaganda and those who are
>> open to see the facts as they really are.
>
> It's quite amazing that these "facts" of yours have absolutely zero
> credible evidence to back them up. In your world the Foundation donates
> the "legal minimum" to remain a charity (zero evidence to backup your
> lies) and Gates is donating BILLIONS of dollars to "save money" on his
> taxes. Simply put - you are a conspiracy nut just like those 9-11 idiots.

Once again, no attempt to put up proof of a counter argument, just
abuse. Guess what, abuse does not make you any more right. In fact, it
proves that you have no argument. In a debate, you would have
immediately been disqualified.

>> It is quite clear that the WinTrolls are in the former group.
>
> It is quite clear that you will never show a single piece of credible
> evidence to support your lies and ridiculous claims.

Where is your credible counter evidence?

Ian

chrisv

Jun 17, 2010, 2:31:34 PM6/17/10
Gregory Shearman wrote:

> Tim Smith wrote:

>> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>>>
>>> Politics is about pushing the agenda of a minority against the best
>>> interest of the majority.
>>
>> Clean energy research is against the best interests of the majority?
>
>..when government money is used to create heavily patented products...
>yes it is!

Hey, don't worry. The wealthy-elite businessman will spend his dirty
money, so *some* of it will "trickle down" to us commoners...

--
"Your whore mother is to blame for you being a lying hypocrite." -
Larry "message ID Qualig", AKA Hadron Quark

Ezekiel

Jun 17, 2010, 3:19:52 PM6/17/10

> Ezekiel wrote:
>>

>> "Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message

>>> Just as Copernicus, Galileo, Martin Luther and Charles Darwin were
>>> loonies. They were loonies, because the told what they saw and
>>> understood to a world that is happier to believe lies.
>>
>> Yeah... you're just like Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin and MLK. I'm
>> amazed that your fat head hasn't exploded yet from this ego problem you
>> have.
>>

> Martin Luther is not Martin Luther King. Martin Luther was a German
> priest given the task of translating the accepted sections of the bible

Whoever he was... you're not qualified to lick the gum off his shoes.

>>> There is no fundamental flaw in the statement.
>>
>> Which is why you have absolutely ZERO proof to backup your nonsense.
>> Isn't that right almight truth teller.
>>

> When faced with a controversial statement, there are three sorts of
> people.

There's also a fourth type of person. Those who have no idea of what they're
talking about but continue making ridiculous claims anyway.

> Those that have no opinion. Those that are willing to discuss
> and those that are so insecure in their own beliefs that they are
> unwilling to put their own beliefs to the test and as such they respond
> with aggression and abuse. You seem to fit into the latter group.

I'm more than willing to discuss but I'm not going to simply believe "your
word" on something which you know nothing about. Tell me again how donating
billions let's him save on taxes!!!

>> It is quite clear that you will never show a single piece of credible
>> evidence to support your lies and ridiculous claims.
>>

> Where is your credible counter evidence?

Counter evidence to what? You first have to put forth some sort of evidence
if you expect me to counter it. Since you have yet to show a single iota of
evidence to support your claims what evidence exactly am I supposed to be
countering?

Tim Smith

Jun 17, 2010, 6:27:47 PM6/17/10
In article <4c19c924$1...@news.x-privat.org>,

So first you claimed Gates wasn't spending much money. Now your claim is
that the $355 million the Gates Foundation is giving Rotary somehow
won't help (but the $200 million Rotary is raising will...)?

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jun 17, 2010, 6:33:40 PM6/17/10
In article <4c1a649f$1...@news.x-privat.org>,

Ian Hilliard <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote:
> When faced with a controversial statement, there are three sorts of
> people. Those that have no opinion. Those that are willing to discuss
> and those that are so insecure in their own beliefs that they are
> unwilling to put their own beliefs to the test and as such they respond
> with aggression and abuse. You seem to fit into the latter group.

You missed a group: those who when caught in blatant error try to change
the subject. That would be your group.

--
--Tim Smith

High Plains Thumper

Jun 17, 2010, 9:14:41 PM6/17/10
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Ian Hilliard on Wednesday:

>> Politics is about pushing the agenda of a minority against the
>> best interest of the majority.
>
> Look up the company Gates recommended for nuclear energy earlier this
> year. Nathan/IV (whom Bill Gates invests billions in) owns the
> patents. I only found one article which pointed this out.
>
> Nathan/IV also owns some of the pharma patents Gates is promoting
> (not to mention GMO/ Monsanto patents). He often lobbies for
> governments (i.e. taxpayers) to fund those projects/patents that he
> only "kick-starts" using his "brand name" (Bill Gates).
>
> Gates reportedly increased his wealth by about $13 over the past
> year. Not bad for a retired giver...

Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not impress
me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a means to
shelter his wealth rather than for benefit. What I get a kick out of,
is how the trolls keep eulogising him as a saint and lambasting Linux
advocates as thieves, sexual deviants, liars, etc. Acts of ad hominem
as such reveals the source.

--
HPT

DFS

Jun 17, 2010, 9:38:58 PM6/17/10

Don't mind bitter, petty, powerless little losers like Ian Hilliard (and
Rex Ballard and Gidget and Homer and Spamowitz). They're just
frustrated by their total inability to make a living with Linux.

Gregory Shearman

Jun 18, 2010, 3:06:26 AM6/18/10

I've just come back from a run... around 4kms... I run every day... 1km in
soft beach sand, 100m full sprint along the soccer oval included in the
run...

It becomes addictive after a while. I get grumpy if I can't get out for
a daily run.

chrisv

Jun 18, 2010, 8:38:03 AM6/18/10
Timmy wrote:

> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>>
>> When faced with a controversial statement, there are three sorts of
>> people. Those that have no opinion. Those that are willing to discuss
>> and those that are so insecure in their own beliefs that they are
>> unwilling to put their own beliefs to the test and as such they respond
>> with aggression and abuse. You seem to fit into the latter group.
>
>You missed a group: those who when caught in blatant error try to change
>the subject.

What "blatant error" would that be, Timmy?

>That would be your group.

You're lying if you're claiming we're worse than the Wintrolls, Timmy
Twit.

Now, make some more stupid-ass, utterly dishonest claims, and then
flee when asked for proof, like you usually do.

Hadron

Jun 18, 2010, 8:39:38 AM6/18/10
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> writes:

He's never run away from providing proof. Unlike you, you whining little
twit. Grow up.

chrisv

Jun 18, 2010, 8:54:28 AM6/18/10
High Plains Thumper wrote:

>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Gates reportedly increased his wealth by about $13 over the past
>> year. Not bad for a retired giver...

Well, his "wealth" is going to rise and fall with the stock market,
mostly.

>Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not impress
>me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a means to
>shelter his wealth rather than for benefit.

He sucked out of our world *enormous* wealth, *far* beyond his worth,
enough for *thousands* of people to live a *wealthy* lifestyle.

Whatever motivates him now, I won't be impressed that he gives some
back.

>What I get a kick out of,
>is how the trolls keep eulogising him as a saint and lambasting Linux
>advocates as thieves, sexual deviants, liars, etc. Acts of ad hominem
>as such reveals the source.

It's weird, but it's almost like there's some unwritten rule that
Windows advocates have to be fscktarded lying assholes. I mean, we
know that not all of these idiots are *complete* morons, but yet
they'll all make *egregious* reasoning errors - so egregious, in fact,
that it *must* be driven by dishonesty. Either that or there's
something very broken in their brains.

--
"I mean, come on, what's more anti-competitive than free?" - Erik
Funkenbusch

Hadron

Jun 18, 2010, 8:59:21 AM6/18/10
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Gates reportedly increased his wealth by about $13 over the past
>>> year. Not bad for a retired giver...
>
> Well, his "wealth" is going to rise and fall with the stock market,
> mostly.
>
>>Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not impress
>>me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a means to
>>shelter his wealth rather than for benefit.
>
> He sucked out of our world *enormous* wealth, *far* beyond his worth,
> enough for *thousands* of people to live a *wealthy* lifestyle.
>
> Whatever motivates him now, I won't be impressed that he gives some
> back.

Of course you wont as you're a useless, do nothing, give nothing
freetard loser.

>>What I get a kick out of,
>>is how the trolls keep eulogising him as a saint and lambasting Linux
>>advocates as thieves, sexual deviants, liars, etc. Acts of ad hominem
>>as such reveals the source.
>
> It's weird, but it's almost like there's some unwritten rule that
> Windows advocates have to be fscktarded lying assholes. I mean, we
> know that not all of these idiots are *complete* morons, but yet
> they'll all make *egregious* reasoning errors - so egregious, in fact,
> that it *must* be driven by dishonesty. Either that or there's
> something very broken in their brains.

So you keep saying. You're retarded. Get some help.

chrisv

Jun 18, 2010, 11:18:32 AM6/18/10
Gregory Shearman wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>>I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
>>>computer usage.
>>
>> You're a runner, too? How many miles/week? I do around 16...
>
>I've just come back from a run... around 4kms... I run every day... 1km in
>soft beach sand, 100m full sprint along the soccer oval included in the
>run...
>
>It becomes addictive after a while. I get grumpy if I can't get out for
>a daily run.

Every other day works for me, giving much-needed days off and
flexibility to work-around weather challenges and schedule conflicts.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 18, 2010, 12:40:44 PM6/18/10
chrisv stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

Well, depends on how much soccer I play. I usually get in at least 3 days
of soccer. If I'm on 3 teams, then it is 4, sometimes 5. A benefit to
having the kids out of the house.

When I do run, it is a 6-mile route on a weekday, or an 8-miler on the
weekend.

But I had an incident of blood in the urine during a week in which I ran
hard every day. It turned out to be nothing serious, but now I sometimes
bike instead.

It's the only way I can avoid having a massive beer belly (brewer's
droop). And work out the mean
so-much-computing-I've-become-a-pedantic-asshole blues.

--
If you look good and dress well, you don't need a purpose in life.
-- Robert Pante, fashion consultant

chrisv

Jun 18, 2010, 1:41:50 PM6/18/10
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>>I'm offline for now. Need to run and sweat heavily to counteract heavy
>>>computer usage.
>>
>> You're a runner, too? How many miles/week? I do around 16...
>
>Well, depends on how much soccer I play. I usually get in at least 3 days
>of soccer. If I'm on 3 teams, then it is 4, sometimes 5. A benefit to
>having the kids out of the house.
>
>When I do run, it is a 6-mile route on a weekday, or an 8-miler on the
>weekend.

That's pretty good. 7 miles is the longest I'll do, on weekends. My
favorite race distance is the 10k (6.2 miles), and I like to maintain
a fitness level to run it respectably, around 48 minutes in my case.

>But I had an incident of blood in the urine during a week in which I ran
>hard every day. It turned out to be nothing serious, but now I sometimes
>bike instead.

Yikes.

I do no cross-training at all. Just running, and a few upper-body
strength exercises.

>It's the only way I can avoid having a massive beer belly (brewer's
>droop). And work out the mean
>so-much-computing-I've-become-a-pedantic-asshole blues.

Yeah, like anyone with a desk job, exercise can be almost nil, unless
you make a point of it. I have no "belly" at all - pretty rare for a
guy my age...

One Shot, One Kill

Jun 18, 2010, 1:56:44 PM6/18/10

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

chrisv is a stupid piece of shit. chrisv is a liar.

One Shot, One Kill

Jun 18, 2010, 1:57:08 PM6/18/10

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

chrisv is a piece of shit. chrisv is a liar.

Tim Smith

Jun 18, 2010, 4:20:43 PM6/18/10
In article <hveha8$2lf$1...@news.albasani.net>,

High Plains Thumper <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not impress
> me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a means to
> shelter his wealth rather than for benefit. What I get a kick out of,

How exactly does giving billions of dollars for vaccinations and such
shelter his wealth?

--
--Tim Smith

Ian Hilliard

Jun 18, 2010, 4:27:07 PM6/18/10

High Plains Thumper wrote:
> Mail2News nymthief of Ian Hilliard wrote:
>> Tim Thmith wote:

>>> Uhm, [snip Tim's troll]
>> Wotawianth, and I thpeak about them bekawthe I hafe pewthonaw
>> [snip rest of troll babble]

> Rather sad this familiar troll needs to nymthief an advocate's name and
> steal bandwidth with its crappy post. All because of Ian's honesty and
> positive postings on the Linux operating system.
>
> [quote]
> In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into
> the competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of
> the earth. Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated
> with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
> Bunny, and OS/2."
>
> Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever.
> make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the
> mythology of the computer industry.
>
> We want to place selection pressure on the companies and individuals
> that show a genetic weakness for competitor's technologies, to make the
> industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over time.
> [/quote]
>
> PDF page 55
> Microsoft Evangelism
> Comes vs. Microsoft court case
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

Don't worry about it. The trolls don't want to debate the issue. They
simply repeat the propaganda, without scrutinising it. If someone shows
that what they believe bears no relationship to the truth, they respond
with abuse.

The unfortunate thing is that these people actually believe the
Microsoft teachings as if it were the truth. If anyone were in doubt,
this is proof that Microsoft has created its own religion.

A joke told to me by an ex-Microsoft employee:
Q: What is the difference between Bill Gates and God?
A: God doesn't think that he is Bill Gates.

Ian

Moshe

Jun 18, 2010, 4:35:19 PM6/18/10

I'm still trying to figure that one out :)

HPT is certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 18, 2010, 5:28:44 PM6/18/10
chrisv stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> Yeah, like anyone with a desk job, exercise can be almost nil, unless

> you make a point of it. I have no "belly" at all - pretty rare for a
> guy my age...

I sometimes feel like I'm shoplifting a pony keg or a turkey... no core
strength at all :-(

--
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."

Hadron

Jun 19, 2010, 1:25:16 AM6/19/10
High Plains Thumper <h...@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Ian Hilliard on Wednesday:
>>
>>> Politics is about pushing the agenda of a minority against the
>>> best interest of the majority.
>>
>> Look up the company Gates recommended for nuclear energy earlier this
>> year. Nathan/IV (whom Bill Gates invests billions in) owns the
>> patents. I only found one article which pointed this out.
>>
>> Nathan/IV also owns some of the pharma patents Gates is promoting
>> (not to mention GMO/ Monsanto patents). He often lobbies for
>> governments (i.e. taxpayers) to fund those projects/patents that he
>> only "kick-starts" using his "brand name" (Bill Gates).
>>
>> Gates reportedly increased his wealth by about $13 over the past
>> year. Not bad for a retired giver...
>
> Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not impress
> me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a means to
> shelter his wealth rather than for benefit.

Yeah you give nothing, know nothing piece of junk.

By giving millions if not billions away is a way to shelter his wealth.

Can you hear yourself?

Gregory Shearman

Jun 19, 2010, 1:29:01 AM6/19/10
On 2010-06-18, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman wrote:

>>I've just come back from a run... around 4kms... I run every day... 1km in
>>soft beach sand, 100m full sprint along the soccer oval included in the
>>run...
>>
>>It becomes addictive after a while. I get grumpy if I can't get out for
>>a daily run.
>
> Every other day works for me, giving much-needed days off and
> flexibility to work-around weather challenges and schedule conflicts.

In my job I spend a lot of time on my feet. I need to run after work to
get the blood moving out of my legs. I was starting to get varicose
veins a year ago. Now I run every day and I don't have problems, not
with aching joints, not with blood pooling in my legs.... It's great..
and I can also think about coding while running...

High Plains Thumper

Jun 19, 2010, 4:50:26 AM6/19/10
Tim Smith wrote:

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not
>> impress me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a
>> means to shelter his wealth rather than for benefit. What I get a
>> kick out of,
>
> How exactly does giving billions of dollars for vaccinations and such
> shelter his wealth?

[quote]
There are many reasons why corporate giants engage in liberal
philanthropic endeavors: one is to have a direct influence on political
decisions through what has been termed political philanthropy,[2] but
another important reason is that such charitable efforts help cultivate
a positive image in the publics’ mind that serves to deflect often much
warranted criticism, while also helping them expand their market share.
However, although liberal foundations like the Gates Foundation may
engage in such ostensibly progressive activities this does not mean that
the capitalist enterprises from which their endowments arise (i.e.
Microsoft) refrain from engaging in normal antidemocratic business
practices. So while the Gates Foundation directs some of its resources
to progressive grassroots initiatives, its corporate benefactor actually
works to create fake grassroots organizations (otherwise known as
astroturf groups) to actively lobby through covert means to protect
corporate power.

For instance, in 1999 Microsoft helped found a corporate front group
called Americans for Technology Leadership – a group which describes its
role as being “dedicated to limiting government regulation of technology
and fostering competitive market solutions to public policy issues
affecting the technology industry.” In 2001, Joseph Menn and Edmund
Sanders alleged that Americans for Technology Leadership orchestrated a
“nationwide campaign to create the impression of a surging grass-roots
movement” to help defend Microsoft from monopoly charges. The founder of
this front group, Jonathan Zuck, also created another libertarian group
in 1998 called the Association for Competitive Technology, a group which
was part sponsored by Microsoft to fight against the anti-trust actions
being pursued against Microsoft in the United States.

Such antidemocratic campaigns waged via front groups and astroturf
organizations, however, were just one part of Microsoft’s democratic
manipulations: this is because as Greg Miller and Leslie Helm
demonstrated (in 1998), this was just one part of a program that
Microsoft and PR giant Edelman had been planning as part of a “massive
media campaign designed to influence state investigators by creating the
appearance of a groundswell of public support for the company.”[3] None
of this should be surprising because in 1995 it was also revealed how
Microsoft were using “consultants to generate computer analyses of
reporters’ articles, enlist industry sources to critique writers they
know and – less frequently – provide investigative peeks into
journalists private lives”.

Amongst the rare spate of critical articles surfacing in the late 1990s,
to add insult on injury it was also shown that Microsoft had also made a
$380,000 contribution to the conservative corporate-funded astroturf
group Citizens for a Sound Economy (now known as FreedomWorks).[4]
Unfortunately, these examples only represent the tip of the iceberg of
Microsoft’s democracy manipulating activities, as the corporate media
while able to make occasional critical enquiries into corporate
misdemeanors can hardly be relied upon to act as a corporate watchdog.
[/quote]

http://www.2012theawakening.com/?p=1845

[quote]
[2] Eric Ross, 1998. The Malthus Factor: Population, Poverty, and
Politics in Capitalist Development. London: Zed Books, p.448.

[3] Michael Barker, ‘The Liberal Foundations of Environmentalism’.

[4] From 1991 until 1998, Falcon directed Stanford University’s Freeman
Spogli Institute for International Studies, and although he only
presently serves on their executive committee, the Institute’s current
deputy director, Michael McFaul, is presently involved with two well
known democracy manipulating organizations, Freedom House (where he is a
trustee), and the National Endowment for Democracy’s International Forum
for Democratic Studies (where is a board member).
[/quote]

http://www.zcommunications.org/bill-gates-engineers-another-green-revolution-part-3-of-3-by-michael-barker

--
HPT

Ezekiel

Jun 19, 2010, 7:30:59 AM6/19/10

"High Plains Thumper" <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> Tim Smith wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>
>>> Reading about B. Gates and his so called philanthropy does not
>>> impress me that he gives out of noble cause. It seems more of a
>>> means to shelter his wealth rather than for benefit. What I get a
>>> kick out of,
>>
>> How exactly does giving billions of dollars for vaccinations and such
>> shelter his wealth?

<snip>

Hint for you - a random link that is in no way related to the question or
topic is NOT a valid answer.

> For instance, in 1999 Microsoft helped found a corporate front group
> called Americans for Technology Leadership – a group which describes its
> role as being “dedicated to limiting government regulation of technology

This link is completely useless and has ZERO to do with how donating
BILLIONS of dollars somehow "shelters wealth." I realize you're not very
smart so why don't you try again.

Ezekiel

Jun 19, 2010, 7:56:51 AM6/19/10

"Ian Hilliard" <nos...@hilliardtech.com> wrote in message

Translation - you have zero anything to backup your nonsense. But at least
you saved-face with High-Plains-Nymshifter-Rafael-Toiletwater so that makes
you feel better.

Your claims of how the Rotary spends more than the Gates Foundation were
*proven* to be wrong and your claim of how donating billions allows people
to "profit" because of taxes is also laughable.

But a "legend in his own mind" like you shouldn't fret Ian... at least you
saved face with High-Plains-Nymshifter-Rafael-Toiletwater and told those
"trolls" where to go.

chrisv

Jun 19, 2010, 8:20:12 AM6/19/10
chrisv wrote:

>Timmy wrote:
>
>> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>>>
>>> When faced with a controversial statement, there are three sorts of
>>> people. Those that have no opinion. Those that are willing to discuss
>>> and those that are so insecure in their own beliefs that they are
>>> unwilling to put their own beliefs to the test and as such they respond
>>> with aggression and abuse. You seem to fit into the latter group.
>>
>>You missed a group: those who when caught in blatant error try to change
>>the subject.
>
>What "blatant error" would that be, Timmy?

(crickets)

Hadron

Jun 19, 2010, 8:59:03 AM6/19/10
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> chrisv wrote:
>
>>Timmy wrote:

There's another group. The group that knows you're full of shit and
that you're making things up to support your paranoia.

>>>You missed a group: those who when caught in blatant error try to change
>>>the subject.
>>
>>What "blatant error" would that be, Timmy?
>
> (crickets)

He didn't mention a specific one. We realise you're not very bright so
no need to remind us.

Ezekiel

Jun 19, 2010, 9:03:53 AM6/19/10

"Hadron" <hadro...@gmail.com> wrote in message

We can start with Ian's claim that: "Organisations like Rotary spend a lot
more money than the Gates Foundation..." which was proven to be wrong with
a link that states:

<quote>

Your contribution will help Rotary raise $200 million to match $355
million in challenge grants received from the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation. The resulting $555 million will directly support
immunization campaigns in developing countries, where polio
continues to infect and paralyze children, robbing them of their
futures and compounding the hardships faced by their families

http://www.rotary.org/en/serviceandfellowship/polio/pages/ridefault.aspx
</quote>

The ROTARY themselves acknowledge that they (the Rotary) will raise $200
million to match the $355 Million (nearly 2x) that's being donated by the
Gates foundation.

Hadron

Jun 19, 2010, 9:06:26 AM6/19/10
"Ezekiel" <M...@Not-there.com> writes:

Ian is a nutcase. Remember he is the legend in his own lunchtime that
designs, implements and tests applications and THEN decides which OS it
will run on ...

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 19, 2010, 9:33:47 AM6/19/10
Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

Just make sure you watch where you are running!

You've probably found that sometimes you have to get away from the keyboard
and let a nagging problem solve itself while you are distracted.

--
"Violence accomplishes nothing." What a contemptible lie! Raw, naked
violence has settled more issues throughout history than any other method

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 19, 2010, 9:35:37 AM6/19/10
High Plains Thumper stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> http://www.2012theawakening.com/?p=1845

Dean Baker surmises this idea when he writes that Bill Gates is after all
"one of the heroes of the conservative nanny state."

--
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
-- P. Erdos

Hadron

Jun 19, 2010, 9:46:57 AM6/19/10
Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> writes:

> Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
>> On 2010-06-18, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Every other day works for me, giving much-needed days off and
>>> flexibility to work-around weather challenges and schedule conflicts.
>>
>> In my job I spend a lot of time on my feet. I need to run after work to
>> get the blood moving out of my legs. I was starting to get varicose
>> veins a year ago. Now I run every day and I don't have problems, not
>> with aching joints, not with blood pooling in my legs.... It's great..
>> and I can also think about coding while running...
>
> Just make sure you watch where you are running!
>
> You've probably found that sometimes you have to get away from the keyboard
> and let a nagging problem solve itself while you are distracted.

Slurp ...

Amazing stuff here guys.

Here we learn that a break from the keyboard can be good. Err, thanks
for that.

Moshe

Jun 19, 2010, 11:35:14 AM6/19/10
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:35:37 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
wrote:

> High Plains Thumper stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
>> http://www.2012theawakening.com/?p=1845
>
> Dean Baker surmises this idea when he writes that Bill Gates is after all
> "one of the heroes of the conservative nanny state."

Slurp....

You might want to try actually reading the link before
sucking up, Liarmutt.

Hint: It has nothing to do with Tim's question.

Ezekiel

Jun 19, 2010, 12:25:13 PM6/19/10

> High Plains Thumper stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
>> http://www.2012theawakening.com/?p=1845
>
> Dean Baker surmises this idea when he writes that Bill Gates is after
> all
> "one of the heroes of the conservative nanny state."

That link does absolutely nothing to support the claim that Gates is somehow
using the foundation to enrich himself or dodge taxes. If anything it's some
sort of rant against liberalism and oooooh... Ballmer supports some Jewish
organization.

<quote>

Bill Gates' Microsoft Corporation and his associated liberal foundation, the
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - which is the largest of its kind in the
world - are only one of the more visible displays of capitalisms hypocrisy.

Unfortunately, in many respects this neoliberal dogma has been adopted...

Like what were formerly known as the "big three" liberal foundations...

Finally last but not least the CEO of Microsoft, Steven Ballmer, who has
served in this position since 2000, has links to another controversial group
called the Jewish National Fund (JNF).

</quote>

Tim Smith

Jun 20, 2010, 6:37:31 AM6/20/10
In article <hvi0ck$j5g$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

High Plains Thumper <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

That's nice. Now could you address my question? How does giving billions
for vaccinations shelter Gates' wealth?

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jun 20, 2010, 6:41:33 AM6/20/10
In article <hvi9pk$ne5$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ezekiel" <M...@Not-there.com> wrote:

Indeed. Everything described in that wall of text HPT posted without
reading first could be done just as well without the Gates foundation
giving billions for vaccinations and such. If we take it as given for
the sake of argument that everything in what HPT posted is true, Gates
and/or his foundation are still have billions less than they would have
had if they had not given away billions.

I predict HPT will never attempt to actually address the question.

--
--Tim Smith

Hadron

Jun 20, 2010, 7:07:15 AM6/20/10
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> writes:

You're talking to potentially COLA's dumbest "Poaster".

I really think we admire him for his ability to cut and paste non
related information in his replies.

Gregory Shearman

Jun 20, 2010, 8:21:03 AM6/20/10
On 2010-06-19, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
>> On 2010-06-18, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Every other day works for me, giving much-needed days off and
>>> flexibility to work-around weather challenges and schedule conflicts.
>>
>> In my job I spend a lot of time on my feet. I need to run after work to
>> get the blood moving out of my legs. I was starting to get varicose
>> veins a year ago. Now I run every day and I don't have problems, not
>> with aching joints, not with blood pooling in my legs.... It's great..
>> and I can also think about coding while running...
>
> Just make sure you watch where you are running!

Hmmm... dog faeces comes to mind.

I drove my car along my running course today and found out I run 5kms a
day, not 4 as reported earlier.

> You've probably found that sometimes you have to get away from the keyboard
> and let a nagging problem solve itself while you are distracted.

It's the only way. Sometimes you get too close to the problem.

One Shot, One Kill

Jun 20, 2010, 8:54:17 AM6/20/10

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

chrisv is a worthless piece of shit chrisv is a liar.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 20, 2010, 9:17:44 AM6/20/10
Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> On 2010-06-19, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just make sure you watch where you are running!
>
> Hmmm... dog faeces comes to mind.

Tell me about it. Sometimes I've had to police up a half-dozen dog turds
just to be able to play a little soccer.

Anyway, one time while running on a local causeway, I hit a cement clinker
and went down like sack of potatoes, scraping my palms on the grooved
surface.

--
The American nation in the sixth ward is a fine people; they love the
eagle -- on the back of a dollar.

Moshe

Jun 20, 2010, 11:58:33 AM6/20/10
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:41:33 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

> I predict HPT will never attempt to actually address the question.

He's still running away from my direct request for him
to offer proof that I made death threats against another
person.

There is something seriously wrong with HPT.
It's obvious.
Obsession with Linux is only a side effect of whatever
mental disease he is suffering from. Hopefully he gets
the professional help he requires. We all wish you well
HPT.

Gregory Shearman

Jun 20, 2010, 5:19:00 PM6/20/10
On 2010-06-20, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>
>> On 2010-06-19, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just make sure you watch where you are running!
>>
>> Hmmm... dog faeces comes to mind.
>
> Tell me about it. Sometimes I've had to police up a half-dozen dog turds
> just to be able to play a little soccer.
>
> Anyway, one time while running on a local causeway, I hit a cement clinker
> and went down like sack of potatoes, scraping my palms on the grooved
> surface.

My worry at the moment is a stupid dog owner who doesn't control their
dog. It sees me from 100 metres away and comes running over, snarling
and snapping at me. I worry that I'm going to trip over the stupid thing
and go down hard. The stupid dog owner reacted with screaming and
insults when I told them to control their dog.... oh well..

Moshe

Jun 20, 2010, 5:21:16 PM6/20/10

We have that problem where I live because the leash laws
are very liberal = non-existent.

I ride a bike and have the same problem.

Maybe one day I'll carry my Glock and shoot the owner.
It's not the dog's fault, it's the owner.

hahahha!

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 21, 2010, 6:52:29 AM6/21/10
Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

> On 2010-06-20, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
>> Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

>>> Hmmm... dog faeces comes to mind.
>>
>> Tell me about it. Sometimes I've had to police up a half-dozen dog turds
>> just to be able to play a little soccer.
>>
>> Anyway, one time while running on a local causeway, I hit a cement clinker
>> and went down like sack of potatoes, scraping my palms on the grooved
>> surface.
>
> My worry at the moment is a stupid dog owner who doesn't control their
> dog. It sees me from 100 metres away and comes running over, snarling
> and snapping at me. I worry that I'm going to trip over the stupid thing
> and go down hard. The stupid dog owner reacted with screaming and
> insults when I told them to control their dog.... oh well..

Punt the puppy!

There was a little dog, Maxie, that chased along behind me, barking, while
its owner watched. I ignored him, but then the damn thing bit me. I said,
"No problem", but as I ran, I realized the bite really hurt, so I had it
deep-cleaned and stitched at the emergency room. Then got a bit worried as
there was talk of getting rabies shots unless the dog could be found alive
after ten days or so; I just beat the deadline with the help of a local
animal-control guy.

--
Angels we have heard on High
Tell us to go out and Buy.

Gregory Shearman

Jun 21, 2010, 8:04:13 AM6/21/10
On 2010-06-21, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
> Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>>
>> My worry at the moment is a stupid dog owner who doesn't control their
>> dog. It sees me from 100 metres away and comes running over, snarling
>> and snapping at me. I worry that I'm going to trip over the stupid thing
>> and go down hard. The stupid dog owner reacted with screaming and
>> insults when I told them to control their dog.... oh well..
>
> Punt the puppy!

Puppy always has faster reflexes than a 50 plus man. It's a fox terrier
and they are agile buggers. I'd end up looking stupid or worse, falling
over.

> There was a little dog, Maxie, that chased along behind me, barking, while
> its owner watched. I ignored him, but then the damn thing bit me. I said,
> "No problem", but as I ran, I realized the bite really hurt, so I had it
> deep-cleaned and stitched at the emergency room. Then got a bit worried as
> there was talk of getting rabies shots unless the dog could be found alive
> after ten days or so; I just beat the deadline with the help of a local
> animal-control guy.

Urk! Luckily, we don't have to worry about rabies here. Plenty of other
disease nasties to worry about.

If the little dog bites me then I'll punt the *owner*, not the dog.

Sinister Midget III

Jun 21, 2010, 9:01:55 AM6/21/10
On 2010-06-21, Gregory Shearman <ZekeG...@netscape.net> claimed:

> On 2010-06-21, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
>> Gregory Shearman stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:
>>>
>>> My worry at the moment is a stupid dog owner who doesn't control their
>>> dog. It sees me from 100 metres away and comes running over, snarling
>>> and snapping at me. I worry that I'm going to trip over the stupid thing
>>> and go down hard. The stupid dog owner reacted with screaming and
>>> insults when I told them to control their dog.... oh well..
>>
>> Punt the puppy!
>
> Puppy always has faster reflexes than a 50 plus man. It's a fox terrier
> and they are agile buggers. I'd end up looking stupid or worse, falling
> over.

Mace.

I started carrying it when a German Shepard went after me and my
Bassets. I ran into him again a couple of weeks later. Now, for some
odd reason, he stays back and barks instead of approaching.

My dad was a mail carrier when I was a kid. He used to bring some stuff
home called Halt! that worked pretty well. I saw that they still sell
it when I was looking to buy some more a few weeks ago.

--
All I need to know I learned from my cat.
Aspire One, Linux Mint 8 (LXDE)

chrisv

Jun 21, 2010, 9:21:13 AM6/21/10
Gregory Shearman wrote:

>My worry at the moment is a stupid dog owner who doesn't control their
>dog. It sees me from 100 metres away and comes running over, snarling
>and snapping at me. I worry that I'm going to trip over the stupid thing
>and go down hard. The stupid dog owner reacted with screaming and
>insults when I told them to control their dog.... oh well..

He must be the neighborhood "Hadron". He is righteous. You are in
the wrong.

It is loading more messages.