Open source Mono suffers layoffs

1 view

Hardon

May 4, 2011, 8:41:55 AM5/4/11
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/03/novell_mono_layoffs/>

<quote>
The fate of an open-source version of Microsoft's .NET running on iOS
and Android is unclear after Novell's new owner Attachmate laid off
members of the project, according to reports.

Mono is a binary compatible implementation of C# and the Common
Language Runtime (CLR) for Linux, Mac, and Unix that comes with tools
that plug into Visual Studio. Mono was started in 2004 by well-known
open sourcer Miguel de Icaza.

de Icaza and his team have also delivered MonoTouch and MonoDroid,
letting developers build C# and .NET-based applications for Apple's
iPhone and iPad and on Google's Android.

de Icaza is based in Boston, Massachusetts. There was no word on
what's happened to him or how many members of the Mono team have gone.
</quote>

Homer

May 4, 2011, 10:05:41 AM5/4/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly:

><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/03/novell_mono_layoffs/>
>
><quote>
> The fate of an open-source version of Microsoft's .NET running on iOS
> and Android is unclear after Novell's new owner Attachmate laid off
> members of the project, according to reports.

Well first ... hooray! And second, Mono on Android and iOS were not
"open-source" projects anyway, so who cares?

[quote]
MonoDroid is a commercial product, licensed in a similar way to
MonoTouch, it is not an open source project.
[/quote]

http://mono-android.net/Welcome

> de Icaza is based in Boston, Massachusetts. There was no word on
> what's happened to him

He's probably got an office next to his pal Ballmer by now.

--
K. | "Linux hackers are on a mission
http://slated.org | from God" ~ The Vatican

7

May 4, 2011, 5:09:58 PM5/4/11
Hardon wrote:

> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/03/novell_mono_layoffs/>
>
> <quote>
> The fate of an open-source version of Microsoft's .NET running on iOS
> and Android is unclear after Novell's new owner Attachmate laid off
> members of the project, according to reports.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Ze mono master plan has back fired!!!!

What a humiliation!!

Every retard who got on the mon .Nit bandwagon now has to look
for another job.

There was never any inherent benefit to programming with mono.
It was being set up as a trap to take Linux developers to
waste their time and make micoshaft's .Nit empire grow
but it never took hold despite all the lies. And .Nit is being
kicked out of all new development sites and replaced with Linux
and Linux development tools like C/C++/Python and PHP which
has got mono and .Nit more than covered.

Micoshaft hid its agenda by pretending mono and .nit is open
by giving almost all of it to public bodies except the
fully patent protected CLI (common language infrastructure).
which decides what actions to take when a command is received.
And guess what, whatever CLI you build, if .Nit took off,
micoshaft will always turn around and say your CLI is not
micoshaft compatible as they change their CLI, and anything that
doesn't work will become a 'feature' which you dare not copy.

The mono and .nit environments are not sustainable, because
it is built on top of crap funded by micoshaft.

7

May 4, 2011, 5:13:41 PM5/4/11
7 wrote:

> Hardon wrote:
>
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/03/novell_mono_layoffs/>
>>
>> <quote>
>> The fate of an open-source version of Microsoft's .NET running on iOS
>> and Android is unclear after Novell's new owner Attachmate laid off
>> members of the project, according to reports.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

> Ze mono master plan has back fired!!!!
>

> What a humiliation!!
>
> Every retard who got on the mon .Nit bandwagon now has to look
> for another job.
>
> There was never any inherent benefit to programming with mono.
> It was being set up as a trap to take Linux developers to
> waste their time and make micoshaft's .Nit empire grow
> but it never took hold despite all the lies. And .Nit is being
> kicked out of all new development sites and replaced with Linux
> and Linux development tools like C/C++/Python and PHP which
> has got mono and .Nit more than covered.
>
> Micoshaft hid its agenda by pretending mono and .nit is open
> by giving almost all of it to public bodies except the
> fully patent protected CLI (common language infrastructure).

Oop! I meant CLR - Common Language Run Time.
(Who cares anyway?!!! :-D )

> which decides what actions to take when a command is received.

And guess what, whatever CLR you build, if .Nit took off,
micoshaft will always turn around and say your CLR is not
micoshaft compatible as they change their CLR, and anything that

Chris Ahlstrom

May 4, 2011, 5:20:46 PM5/4/11
7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Every retard who got on the mon .Nit bandwagon now has to look

====

<chuckle> Even funnier than .Not

> There was never any inherent benefit to programming with mono.

Actually, I think the idea of implementing Microsoft protocols, languages,
or APIs in a cross-platform way is nice. (Think Samba).

However, the licensing (as you note below) is dicey, Microsoft is, as far as
I know, able to rescind it at any time.

And, of course, as you also hint, the famous Microsoft churn and its speed
(though Google and Firefox are moving pretty fast) is another issue.

> It was being set up as a trap to take Linux developers to
> waste their time and make micoshaft's .Nit empire grow
> but it never took hold despite all the lies. And .Nit is being
> kicked out of all new development sites and replaced with Linux
> and Linux development tools like C/C++/Python and PHP which
> has got mono and .Nit more than covered.
>
> Micoshaft hid its agenda by pretending mono and .nit is open
> by giving almost all of it to public bodies except the
> fully patent protected CLI (common language infrastructure).
> which decides what actions to take when a command is received.
> And guess what, whatever CLI you build, if .Nit took off,
> micoshaft will always turn around and say your CLI is not
> micoshaft compatible as they change their CLI, and anything that
> doesn't work will become a 'feature' which you dare not copy.
>
> The mono and .nit environments are not sustainable, because
> it is built on top of crap funded by micoshaft.

Nah. Microsoft has enough bulk to sustain anything they think worthwhile.
Maybe they'll help out with Mono.

Or maybe they'll think "It doesn't help us sell boxes, by getting people
used to using Mono/Moon on Linux, so we can then *change* things, making
them wish they could still do their thing, but hey! They can do it on "our
platform! Wotta surpise!"

>> de Icaza is based in Boston, Massachusetts. There was no word on
>> what's happened to him or how many members of the Mono team have gone.
>> </quote>

I'm sure de Icaza will be a little more "worldly" after this episode.

I don't really get why people glom onto most Microsoft stuff, though.
So much of it is a Rube Goldberg apparatus, in my opinion.

--
Adapt. Enjoy. Survive.

Chris Ahlstrom

May 4, 2011, 5:28:39 PM5/4/11
7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Every retard who got on the mon .Nit bandwagon now has to look
====

<chuckle> Even funnier than .Not

> There was never any inherent benefit to programming with mono.

Actually, I think the idea of implementing Microsoft protocols, languages,

or APIs in a cross-platform way is nice. (Think Samba).

However, the licensing (as you note below) is dicey, Microsoft is, as far as
I know, able to rescind it at any time.

And, of course, as you also hint, the famous Microsoft churn and its speed
(though Google and Firefox are moving pretty fast) is another issue.

> It was being set up as a trap to take Linux developers to

> waste their time and make micoshaft's .Nit empire grow
> but it never took hold despite all the lies. And .Nit is being
> kicked out of all new development sites and replaced with Linux
> and Linux development tools like C/C++/Python and PHP which
> has got mono and .Nit more than covered.
>
> Micoshaft hid its agenda by pretending mono and .nit is open
> by giving almost all of it to public bodies except the
> fully patent protected CLI (common language infrastructure).
> which decides what actions to take when a command is received.
> And guess what, whatever CLI you build, if .Nit took off,
> micoshaft will always turn around and say your CLI is not
> micoshaft compatible as they change their CLI, and anything that
> doesn't work will become a 'feature' which you dare not copy.
>
> The mono and .nit environments are not sustainable, because
> it is built on top of crap funded by micoshaft.

Nah. Microsoft has enough bulk to sustain anything they think worthwhile.

Maybe they'll help out with Mono.

Or maybe they'll think "It doesn't help us sell boxes, by getting people
used to using Mono/Moon on Linux, so we can then *change* things, making
them wish they could still do their thing, but hey! They can do it on "our
platform!" Wotta surpise!

>> de Icaza is based in Boston, Massachusetts. There was no word on

>> what's happened to him or how many members of the Mono team have gone.
>> </quote>

I'm sure de Icaza will be a little more "worldly" after this episode.

JEDIDIAH

May 4, 2011, 6:36:10 PM5/4/11
On 2011-05-04, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
> 7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Every retard who got on the mon .Nit bandwagon now has to look
> ====
>
><chuckle> Even funnier than .Not
>
>> There was never any inherent benefit to programming with mono.
>
> Actually, I think the idea of implementing Microsoft protocols, languages,
> or APIs in a cross-platform way is nice. (Think Samba).

It's a good idea to "be compatable", not such a great idea to build the
core of your system around it. There was never any benefit to the average
desktop user to this stuff. Mono provided little or no benefit and a whole
pile of risk.

[deletia]

--
Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

Big Steel

May 4, 2011, 7:50:23 PM5/4/11
On 5/4/2011 5:13 PM, 7 wrote:

<snipped>

7, you are an idiot that holds Linux back. Linux will never be accepted
at the desktop by the masses, because of loons like you. All one has to
do is look at your insanity to know the Linux drove you there.

Rihards

May 5, 2011, 1:06:06 AM5/5/11
On 2011-05-04, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly:
>><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/03/novell_mono_layoffs/>
>>
>><quote>
>> The fate of an open-source version of Microsoft's .NET running on iOS
>> and Android is unclear after Novell's new owner Attachmate laid off
>> members of the project, according to reports.
>
> Well first ... hooray! And second, Mono on Android and iOS were not
> "open-source" projects anyway, so who cares?
>
> [quote]
> MonoDroid is a commercial product, licensed in a similar way to
> MonoTouch, it is not an open source project.
> [/quote]
>
> http://mono-android.net/Welcome
>
>> de Icaza is based in Boston, Massachusetts. There was no word on
>> what's happened to him
>
> He's probably got an office next to his pal Ballmer by now.

And nothing of value was lost.

Chris Ahlstrom

May 5, 2011, 6:18:31 AM5/5/11
JEDIDIAH wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2011-05-04, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>> 7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> Every retard who got on the mon .Nit bandwagon now has to look
>> ====
>>
>><chuckle> Even funnier than .Not
>>
>>> There was never any inherent benefit to programming with mono.
>>
>> Actually, I think the idea of implementing Microsoft protocols, languages,
>> or APIs in a cross-platform way is nice. (Think Samba).
>
> It's a good idea to "be compatable", not such a great idea to build the
> core of your system around it. There was never any benefit to the average
> desktop user to this stuff. Mono provided little or no benefit and a whole
> pile of risk.

I agree. And trying to keep up with Microsoft in a game where it makes the
rules is a no-win situation.

--
People who make no mistakes do not usually make anything.