SCP 86-Dos files available

datapackrat

May 14, 2008, 10:33:44 PM5/14/08
Hello!

I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
files
I have around and placed them on the web.

http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos

contains
ASM.COM
HEX2BIN.COM
DEBUG.COM
MON.ASM
from 86Dos.

If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
running on modern hardware.

Bill

Howard Harte

May 15, 2008, 3:12:18 AM5/15/08

Thanks Bill, the .COM programs actually run under Windows XP, how
about that for backward compatibility.

I assmbled the Monitor with your SCP assembler, and have it somewhat
working in the latest version of SIMH/AltairZ80:

?>P 8086 Monitor 1.5
>DFF800
FF800 FC 33 C0 8E D0 8E D8 8E-C0 BF 9C 01 B9 0E 00 F3 |3@.P.X.@?..
9..s
FF810 AB 80 0E B7 01 02 B1 04-B0 40 BF AC 01 F3 AB C6 +..7..1.0@?,.s
+F
FF820 06 A5 01 0C BC 9C 01 B0-17 E6 F5 B0 F3 E6 F4 B8 .%..<..
0.fu0sft8
FF830 84 05 E7 F4 BE 33 07 BA-F0 00 2E AC 8A C8 E3
05 ..gt>3.:p..,.Hc.
FF840 2E AC EE E2 FB 42 80 FA-F8 75 EF E8 19 00 BE
F5 .,nb{B.zxuoh..>u
FF850 07 B8 23 E8 E7 F4 B0 0D-E6 F5 2E AD E6 F4 8A C4 .8#hgt0.fu.-
ft.D
FF860 E6 F4 E8 02 00 EB F3 E8-98 00 E8 95 00 3C 0D 74
fth..ksh..h..<.t
FF870 01 C3 BF 18 01 C6 05 0D-E4 FF A8 01 74 03 E9 F5 .C?..F..d.
(.t.iu

The configuration for SIMH is as follows:

; SIMH/AltairZ80 Configuration File for SCP 8086MON v1.5
set cpu 8086

; load SCP Monitor
load mon.com 0
load mon.com ff800

; Set serial port for SCP
set sio port=f6/0/0/0/0/F/0/T
set sio port=f7/0/2/0/1/F/0/F

; Start monitor, press enter to get '>' prompt.
go ffff0

-Howard

Robert J. Stevens

May 15, 2008, 7:52:35 AM5/15/08
I am working on getting a disk Image. I need a COMPATICARD or equivalent
to be able to get an 8" drive working on a PC.
So Far I can see the drive but it won't come ready with the FDC's I have.
I have a setup with CON-DOS XM 6.2 on a HD on a 286 PC M/B. I can write
to the 8" but not correctly using Con-Dos.
Doesn't seem to care about READY. I strapped some LED's across pin 34 of
the 5.25 side of my Adapter and pins 8,12,22 on the 50 Pin side. LED's
for 34 and 22 start out "ON" but go out when the disk is accessed either
by DOS or CON-DOS. So there must be something else needed for the DOS to
get the drive to come ready???
If I can get the DOS to access the 8" then I can use DEBUG to transfer
the Image to a 5.25 360k floppy and work from there.
Bob in Wisconsin
USE
treb...@execpc.com

Robert J. Stevens

May 15, 2008, 8:10:51 AM5/15/08
I Was able to get Mon.asm but doing a C/P to wordpad
But how do I download the others to my PC HD

Howard Harte

May 15, 2008, 9:23:27 AM5/15/08

in Internet explorer, right click on the filename and "save target as"

Robert J. Stevens

May 15, 2008, 1:23:36 PM5/15/08
Thanks;
GOT EM
I was using Firefox and it didn't give me that option
Bob

Barry Watzman

May 15, 2008, 2:09:08 PM5/15/08
86-DOS essentially IS MS-DOS. Presumably if you can find a copy of
MS-DOS 1.0, you would be almost there with very little work.

glen herrmannsfeldt

May 15, 2008, 2:22:17 PM5/15/08

(someone wrote)

Robert J. Stevens wrote:

> I was using Firefox and it didn't give me that option

It seems to be "save link as" in Firefox, but it does
the same thing.

The other choice, "copy link location," copies the link to
the clipboard, such that you can paste it somewhere.
One place is to a command window with a wget command.

-- glen

Howard Harte

May 15, 2008, 3:34:40 PM5/15/08

On MS-DOS 1.0 vs 86-DOS, I guess it depends on the goal. For me, I'd
like to get 86-DOS running on simulated hardware, with the eventual
goal of being able to run it on a real systemlike a CompuPro. MS-DOS
could be made to run on SIMH as well, by simulating PC hardware, and
could even be made to run on a CompuPro by rewriting Io.SYS, but 86-
DOS bridges the gap.

Robert J. Stevens

May 16, 2008, 6:53:54 AM5/16/08
I got the Mon.Asm Assembled using the ASM.Com and ran Hex2Bin; but how
do I get it to run
On what Machine will it run
Also can that code be put on an EPROM.
I might be able to get it over to my NEC APC and try MS-DOS 2.0
I can put it on a 5.25 then copy to a 8" SSSD CP/M format floppy then
MS-DOS 2.0 on the NEC will copy from the CP/M floppy to the Dos Floppy
using RDCPM.
Too Bad there isn't a reverse program that will copy a File from the NEC
DOS back to a SSSD CP/M 8" floppy.
Is there anyone who might be able to reverse engineer RDCPM if I can get
it back to CP/M
I should be able to de-assemble using DEBUG. I'm a Newbie there put
Practice makes Perfect.
I have an image copy on the NEC of the 8" SSSD SCP 86-DOS V1.0
I used DEBUG to read in the 8" and saved to a file. its about 132000 bytes.
I put it on a DOS formatted SSSD 8" but at this point can't read it
anywhere else except on the NEC.
If I get my COMPATICARD PC Running then I should be able to read 8" SSSD
Floppies
TIA
Bob

Howard Harte

May 16, 2008, 11:41:51 AM5/16/08

Hello Bob,

The monitor is 2k, so you can burn it into a 2716 or larger EPROM. The
reset vector for the 8086 is at FFFF0h, and that is the entry point
into the monitor, so if you are using a 2716, you would set the ROM
base address to FF800h.

It should work with any 8086 CPU board provided that the board, but if
it's a dual CPU board like the CompuPro, then it would have to be
configured to start with the 8086 active.

The monitor expects a SCP300E support board for the I/O, but it really
only uses the UART at F6-F7h, and it checks a "sense switch" at FFh to
determine whether to enter the monitor or jump directly to the disk
bootstrap.

If there is no I/O port at FFh, then the CPU will most likely read FFh
from the floating data bus and jump to the disk bootstrap.

Probably the easiest thing to do is modify the monitor for your own
UART, and skip the sense switch check.

Howard Harte

May 26, 2008, 12:22:30 PM5/26/08

sIMH/AltairZ80 is running the SCP 8086 monitor fine now. There was a
bug in the 8086 simulation with the segment override prefix
instructions with interrupts enabled, that I fixed. I also added a
Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.

Howard Harte

Jun 4, 2008, 10:33:52 PM6/4/08

some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:

Www.patersontech.com

Very interesting reading.

Howard Harte

Jun 6, 2008, 11:00:01 AM6/6/08
> > I also added a
> > Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
> > It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
> > I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.
>
> some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:
>
> Www.patersontech.com
>
> Very interesting reading.- Hide quoted text -

The SCP 86-DOS Disk image and simulator are available on http://www.86dos.org.
Thanks to Robert J. Stevens for providing the disk.

s_dub...@yahoo.com

Jun 6, 2008, 1:13:02 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 10:00 am, Howard Harte <hhar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I also added a
> > > Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
> > > It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
> > > I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.
>
> > some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:
>
> > Www.patersontech.com
>
> > Very interesting reading.- Hide quoted text -

> The SCP 86-DOS Disk image and simulator are available onhttp://www.86dos.org.

> Thanks to Robert J. Stevens for providing the disk.

Thanks Howard and Robert!

Interesting indeed... life before int21h was call 5.... ah, but we
knew that.

A:edlin init.asm

EDLIN version 1.00
End of input file
*1,20l

53:
54: SYSTEM: EQU 5
55: SELDRV: EQU 14
56: SIDNUM: EQU TRKNUM+1
57: SECNUM: EQU SIDNUM+1
58:
59: ORG 100H
60: PUT 100H
*61,90l
61:
62: MOV BX,PATTERN
63: MOV DX,PATTAB
64: CALL MAKE ;Pattern for index mark and
one sector
65: MOV CL,SECCNT-1 ;Repeat once for each
remaining sector
66: MAKSEC:
67: MOV DX,SECPAT
68: CALL MAKE
69: DEC CL
70: JNZ MAKSEC
71: CALL MAKE
72: ;Put in sequential sector numbers
73: MOV AL,1 ;Start with sector number 1
74: MOV CL,AL ;Add one to each succeeding
sector number
75: MOV BX,PATTERN+SECNUM
76: CALL PUTSEC
77: MOV CL,9
78: MOV DX,HEADER
79: CALL SYSTEM
80: EACH:

Howard Harte

Jun 7, 2008, 7:47:36 PM6/7/08

I have extracted all of the 86-DOS files using SIMH and put them into
a ZIP file on www.86dos.org

Now it should be possible to retarget 86-DOS to other hardware by re-
writing DOSIO.ASM.

Anyone have other versions of 86-DOS or manuals they'd be willing to
copy or scan?

Roy

Mar 25, 2014, 9:08:49 PM3/25/14
Microsoft released MS-DOS 1.1 and 2.0 source code.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/03/25/microsoft-makes-source-code-for-ms-dos-and-word-for-windows-available-to-public.aspx

and there is change log in MSDOS.ASM:

; ****************** Revision History *************************
; >> EVERY change must noted below!! <<
;
; 0.34 12/29/80 General release, updating all past customers
; 0.42 02/25/81 32-byte directory entries added
; 0.56 03/23/81 Variable record and sector sizes
; 0.60 03/27/81 Ctrl-C exit changes, including register save on user stack
; 0.74 04/15/81 Recognize I/O devices with file names
; 0.75 04/17/81 Improve and correct buffer handling
; 0.76 04/23/81 Correct directory size when not 2^N entries
; 0.80 04/27/81 Add console input without echo, Functions 7 & 8
; 1.00 04/28/81 Renumber for general release
; 1.01 05/12/81 Fix bug in `STORE'
; 1.10 07/21/81 Fatal error trapping, NUL device, hidden files, date & time,
; RENAME fix, general cleanup
; 1.11 09/03/81 Don't set CURRENT BLOCK to 0 on open; fix SET FILE SIZE
; 1.12 10/09/81 Zero high half of CURRENT BLOCK after all (CP/M programs don't)
; 1.13 10/29/81 Fix classic "no write-through" error in buffer handling
; 1.20 12/31/81 Add time to FCB; separate FAT from DPT; Kill SMALLDIR;
; Add FLUSH and MAPDEV calls; allow disk mapping in DSKCHG;
; Lots of smaller improvements
; 1.21 01/06/82 HIGHMEM switch to run DOS in high memory
; 1.22 01/12/82 Add VERIFY system call to enable/disable verify after write
; 1.23 02/11/82 Add defaulting to parser; use variable escape character
; Don't zero extent field in IBM version (back to 1.01!)
; 1.24 03/01/82 Restore fcn. 27 to 1.0 level; add fcn. 28
; 1.25 03/03/82 Put marker (00) at end of directory to speed searches
;

Steve Nickolas

Mar 26, 2014, 12:29:19 AM3/26/14
I tried to assemble it and my head exploded, but at least since it has
binaries for MS-DOS 2.0, I replaced some of my hacked-together stuff with
the real thing.

Would like to build the sources we have though. :/.

-uso.