[ANN] TAO 2.2.0 available for download

Johnny Willemsen

May 28, 2013, 7:10:11 AM5/28/13
Hi all,

Once again, thanks to the efforts of many developers, testers, and
users, we are pleased to announce the minor release of ACE 6.2.0, TAO
2.2.0, CIAO 1.2.0, and DAnCE 1.2.0, which is available from the usual
download location at:

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/

under the heading "Latest Release".

The doxygen documentation for this release is also available. In
addition to the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles,
this release provides source-only packages for developers who use MPC to
generate their own makefiles.

We encourage you to download the new release, use it with your
applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the:

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$MPC_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$DANCE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're
using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at:

$TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/

for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC group of
Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO+DAnCE forward. Overviews of our recent
progress and upcoming plans are available at:

$ACE_ROOT/NEWS
$TAO_ROOT/NEWS
$CIAO_ROOT/NEWS
$DANCE_ROOT/NEWS

The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our
daily builds is 97% for the ACE tests and 96% for the TAO, CIAO,
and DAnCE tests.

Please see:

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/

for a summary of these tests. As always, we appreciate your help in
resolving any remaining problems. Please see:

ACE_ROOT/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

for an overview of our bug fixing policies. Moreover, please see:

for information commercial support services available from various
companies.

The following is a list of key changes since the last major release.
Please refer to the corresponding ChangeLog files, NEWS files, or
Bugzilla entries for more details on the problem and the nature of fixes
applied.

==============
Changes to ACE
==============

. None

==============
Changes to TAO
==============

. Feature enhancement for the Implementation Repository, the command to
list currently active servers, confirmed with a ping, is now
asynchronous along with the rest of the implementation.

. Added the new -ORBListenerInterface UIPMC option to provide detailed
control over which IP interfaces are to be listened on for which
multicast addresses. This works in a similar way to the existing
-ORBPreferredInterfaces ORB_init command line option but for UDP
server listeners instead of client senders. See the
TAO_UIPMC_Protocol_Factory section in the docs/release
/TAO/Options.html document for details. This option allows UIPMC/MIOP
to control which interfaces are used by the server to listen for
broadcast messages instead of only using the "default" interface.

If TAO is built with the #define TAO_ALLOW_UNICAST_MIOP in effect, the
normal error checking on joins is short circuited, such that MIOP can
be used to send to a unicast address instead of a broadcast group. In
general I would not recommend building TAO with this option set, end
users should concider using the DIOP protocol instead.

. Fix for long standing Valuetype non-conformance (Bugzilla_1391):
tao_idl generated ValueType OBV_* classes now also provide a
_copy_value() method where this class is supposed to be the final
"most derived" class. It is still left to the end user to provide
such a method in their own most derived class when this is not
the case (as only the final implimentation of the Valuetype will
know how this duplication is performed).

TAO can be built specifically to treat _copy_value() as a pure
virtual function (as per the standard, and now the default
behaviour) or, if #define TAO_VALUETYPE_COPY_VALUE_IS_NOT_PURE is
defined during the building of TAO, a non-pure virtual function (in
which TAO does not require an implimentation to provide the
_copy_value() function as per the previous TAO implimentations).

TAO doesn't normally use the _copy_value() fuction itself, but if
#define TAO_VALUETYPE_COPYING_ANY_INSERTION_USES_COPY_VALUE
is in effect during the build, valuetypes "copy" inserted into an any
will call _copy_value() instead of increasing the reference count of
the actual valuetype being "copied". In such cases obviosuly the
_copy_value() method is required to be implemented. There are
problems taking this general approach however, as the automatically
generated _copy_value() is not capable of duplicating cyclic graphs
held in valuetypes, which realistially require the reference counting
insertions to be utalised and/or knowledge of the actual use of the
valuetype itself. This setting is not recommended.

===============
Changes to CIAO
===============

. None

================
Changes to DAnCE
================

. None

Bugzilla Issues Fixed

0 MPC bugzilla issue fixed:

0 ACE bugzilla issues fixed:

1 TAO bugzilla issues fixed:
1391 _copy_value() not implemented for valuetypes

0 CIAO bugzilla issues fixed:

0 DAnCE bugzilla issues fixed: