Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another?

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2005, 4:58:34 AM3/21/05
Is it possible to have a router give priority to one client over
another? if that is router/hardware specific then what are some
examples of routers that do this? I run a dual boot setup (on my
server) of linux/XP pro with both running most of the time (vmware) so
i assume that a hardware solution would be easier than software (please
correct me if i am wrong).

The scenario
I have a file/print server and a client/workstation, quite often i have

a million things at once going on my workstation, sometimes rebooting,
surfing etc. I usually do the big downloads (like linux distro images,
podcasts, etc) using the server. The setup works out ok but quite
often i can wait for the large downloads but want to surf (on the
workstation) while the downloads are going on, slow surfing is painful.
When I am doing large downloads it brings my connection to its knees.
So i wanted a way to give the
workstation priority when its being used and then balance it back out
when its not being used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gaiko

KW

Mar 21, 2005, 9:09:02 PM3/21/05
When I am doing large downloads it brings my connection to its knees.
So i wanted a way to give the
workstation priority when its being used and then balance it back out
when its not being used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

===

Implementing something in your router would be difficult because a
small bit of requests from your computer can request large amounts of
download traffic. Without administrative control over the ISP router
just before it gets to your house (to implement QOS there) your
internet "pipe" to your house could fill up becuase you don't have
upstream control over the traffic. I assume that large file downloads
that you are attempting have an FTP download option. I would suggest
you try an FTP client that has "speed limit" settings. Filezilla
maybe? Then you can throttle the application and its use of your
bandwith via application settings. Software settings wouldn't be as
dynamic, because it won't know when you are online or not, but
Filezilla lets you specify times of day that are ok to go full throttle
and a schedule for when it should throttle back.

DPGumby

Mar 21, 2005, 11:15:03 PM3/21/05
Linksys wireless G router has the ability to set priority on the ports.

<gaikokuji...@gmail.com> wrote in message

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2005, 12:24:02 AM3/22/05
Hmmmm, the giving priority to ports is a thought, thanks for the heads
up!

-Gaiko

Bill Krahmer

Mar 23, 2005, 2:08:35 PM3/23/05
Hello Gaiko,

Yes, the method you want is called QoS (Quality of service). Various
model sof routers have this features, especially new ones, as VoIP is
beocming more common and works best with QoS ports.

One router I know has QoS port options is the Linksys RT31P2, which
has the VoIP funciotn built into it.

But yea, so what youa re looking for is a router with QoS
functionlity.

Kind Regards,
Bill Krahmer

New Internet/network service monitoring software:
"First Alert Service Monitor" - Free trial.
http://www.electrasoft.com/fasm.htm