Network between two buildings 150 metres appart

1 view

Antowan Nothling

Jul 28, 2001, 10:06:03 AM7/28/01
Good day,

I am a student at the University of Pretoria and want to connect two dorms
together on one network. Basically we are 4 friends who want to be able to
share files and play games over the network.

We have 2 computers in each house.

The houses are divided by 150 metres and other dorms inbetween. What would
be the best way of connecting the homes. The cheapest way.

We are thinking of UTP. The thing is that it would have to go from building
to building and we do not know if the electricity would be a problem, seeing
that the buildings are so far apart. I believe 100m is the max distance for
UTP before the signal needs to be either strengthened or repeated, not so?
Let it be know I am just a computer enthusiast and not an expert.

We want to keep the cost as low as possible and the amount of changes to the
environment to the absolute minimum as the university will not tolorate any
damage to buildings. I am sure we will get permission for a couple of drill
holes and nails in walls. What about lightning if the cable is running from
house to house?

Please be so kind as to advise us on all the possibilities you can think of.

Wireless sounds expensive.

Thanks
Antowan

InJekTiLo*

Jul 28, 2001, 12:31:26 PM7/28/01
if you both live on campus you should already be networked!!!
all you need to know is the computers name. if you wish to share files you
will need access sharing on the folders that have the files to want to
share. gaming I have never done over a network put it should be as simple as
knowing the others ip address

"Antowan Nothling" <ant...@zanetworks.com> wrote in message

Ahochau

Jul 29, 2001, 4:47:09 AM7/29/01
If you have direct line of site you can do wireless. I realize that
not all Universities are wired in the dorms yet. Anyway, you could
run cat 5 between buildings, but you may not want the headaches. 1.
You will need permission from the University. 2. If you do not have
conduit running between the buildings you will need to run wires
overhead which will mean getting permission from the local utility
companies and they will probably charge you rent. 3. If the wire
runs off campus you will need permission from the local government 4.
100M is the theoretical maximum of CAT5 You could probably strech
it, but gaming will suck lots of bandwidth and you may loose packets.
5. Unless you use fibre (which will cost about 1 semsesters tuition
just for the run) you will have a copper circuit with two different
ground sources which leads to differences in grouning potential. No
big deal until you get a powerfluctuation that shorts your circuit and
leaves you with 4 rather large paper weights ;-) Anyway, take a look
at some of the wireless options.

Gordon

Jul 30, 2001, 3:46:06 AM7/30/01
Hi Antowan,

I just setup a wireless cable/dsl router today. To my disappointment,
the range really sucked so be very wary going wireless unless you have
a clear line of sight. And the cost of the equipment can add up. The
range on the box said 1500 feet, but I didn't get more than 60 feet
range around the outside walls of a house. The brand used was SMC
Barricade. I don't know if the other models or brands like Linksys is
better in range. The router cost $250 and the wireless NIC cost $130.
Furthermore, going wireless will only get you a max. bandwidth of
11Mbps.

Sure wireless is simple to install, but there is a lot of limitations.
For you situation, I would try to go UTP. Get a repeater if necessary
to boost the signal. Another option is to get DSL or Cable to each
dorm (that's if it's even offered in your area and allowed where
you're at), and have a local network in each dorm to get both pc's in
each to get out to the internet. Depending on the network games
played, this option may also not work because of internet router
limitations of only one DMZ address.

Just my 2 cents.

Sergio

Jul 30, 2001, 9:50:56 AM7/30/01
Hello
Here some solutions which I would do:

1.)
Keep it simple! Use a 10Base2 network cable which is a coaxial cable and the
BNC connector. The disadvantages are:
Only 10 Mbits
Only Halfduplex
No way to grade up

Advantages are:
Easy and cheap
you can run the cable of a max. distance of 185 Meter

Maybe it can be difficult to find the right network cards but it should be
possible.

2.)
Place a Ethernet Repeater in between the two PC's. Maximum distance from the
repeater to the endstation is 100 Meter. Also in total 200 Meter from
endstation to endstation.

3.)
Wireless can be a solution but with this distance you will have a low
bandwidth. Fore sure it cost you more money than the other solutions.

4.)
If a network is allready installed between the two buildings. maybe you can
use the network. Ask you network administrator.

These are mor or less the solutions which I can recommend. You only haver to
solve the problem of cable installation.

Hope this helps

regards

Sergio
CCNA/CCAI

"Antowan Nothling" <ant...@zanetworks.com> wrote in message

Arie Goldberg

Aug 5, 2001, 12:59:41 PM8/5/01
And of course fiber. You can run a Multimode fiber across (not as expensive
as most people think) and convert to UTP on both ends. You can go with 10
or 100 Mbps Ethernet (depends on how much you are willing to spend). Here
is a link to a 10 Mbps converter that will do the job for you:
http://www.omnitron-systems.com/Converters/4300view.htm
or this 10/100 switch with built in fiber:
http://www.omnitron-systems.com/Ethernet/6750view.htm
--
Arie Goldberg
Omnitron Systems Technology, Inc.
"Sergio" <sergio....@cerberus.ch> wrote in message

Gus

Aug 6, 2001, 8:55:54 AM8/6/01
Antowan
ciso is on of the better ones but 3 com also do an 11mb bridge
hererwith a URL
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE90096A

the benfit is when you move or leave TUKS, you can take it with you or
sell it on.
Gus Barrett

Daniel H

Aug 7, 2001, 1:13:54 AM8/7/01
If you are desperate of playing games together and considering
distance between the building is only 150 metres but want a cheap
solution, why not bring all the PCs together in one room and connect
them up to a hub?

Daniel

rmon

Aug 7, 2001, 7:21:30 PM8/7/01
Ahhh... wait. Don't use Coax out doors and exposed. Coax is notorious for
Lightning strikes.... that whole 4 paperweight thing again....

DJ

Aug 13, 2001, 4:24:28 PM8/13/01
"Antowan Nothling" <ant...@zanetworks.com> wrote in message news:<3b62c...@news1.mweb.co.za>...

STP and UTP can only go 100 Meters then you get poor signal, CRC
errors , File loss and poor performence. Wireless is the way to go.
Check out e-bay for deals.

Michael Auch

Aug 16, 2001, 5:19:32 AM8/16/01

try 10Base 2 (CheaperNet) consisting of one shielded
coaxial cable with BNC Connectors. Cheap ( $0,5 / meter) and working
good. Max distance: 185 meters

"DJ" <D9...@aol.com> wrote in message