AWE64 (OEM) vs AWE64 Gold (RETAIL) - Difference

Nestor Caouras

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

I was wondering if there was a difference between the two versions
of Soundblaster's AWE64, notably
1) AWE 64 OEM
2) AWE 64 Gold Retail

Is there a difference in terms of capabilities, or is it just that one
includes more audio software than the other.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nestor
nes...@ece.concordia.ca
http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~nestor/addr.html

Nicholas Bales

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

In article <6d4210$3kk$1...@newsflash.concordia.ca>, nes...@ece.concordia.ca (Nestor Caouras) wrote:
>I was wondering if there was a difference between the two versions
>of Soundblaster's AWE64, notably
>1) AWE 64 OEM
>2) AWE 64 Gold Retail
>
>Is there a difference in terms of capabilities, or is it just that one
>includes more audio software than the other.

The difference is that one is an AWE 64 Value and the other is an AWE64 Gold.
Check out www.creativelabs.com for specifications. The Gold has 4Mb of RAM (vs
512K on the Value), slightly better s/n ratio, gold plated RCA connectors, and
S/PDIF output.

Chris Lee

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Nicholas Bales wrote:

> The Gold has 4Mb of RAM (vs 512K on the Value), slightly better s/n ratio, gold plated RCA
> connectors, and S/PDIF output.

Slightly better? I think 'much better' is closer to the truth. If you are comparing the SNR
remember that decibels are on a logarithmic scale.

Cheers,
Chris Lee