How to turn off SMTP AUTH?

Johann

Oct 5, 2002, 7:56:50 AM10/5/02
Hello,
I'm using SMTP AUTH as a client and want to turn off the SMTP AUTH
server-functionality. The only workaround to avoid the annoying error
message

sm-mta[238]: error: safesasl(/usr/local/etc/sasldb.db) failed: Group
readable file

on every sendmail startup is to follow the documentation and put

define(`confRUN_AS_USER',`root:mail')
define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL',`GroupReadableSASLDBFile')

in my sendmail configuration. But that's not what I want, I dont need
*any* of the SMTP AUTH server functionality I just want to be able to
authenticate as a client. How can I *completely* disable the rest of
the SASL stuff?

I'm using the native sendmail 8.12.3 that comes with FreeBSD 4.6.2
just recompiled to utilize the Cyrus-SASL 1.5.27 port.

TIA,

Jo

Claus Aßmann

Oct 5, 2002, 11:16:29 AM10/5/02
Johann wrote:

> I'm using SMTP AUTH as a client and want to turn off the SMTP AUTH
> server-functionality. The only workaround to avoid the annoying error
> message

> sm-mta[238]: error: safesasl(/usr/local/etc/sasldb.db) failed: Group
> readable file

> on every sendmail startup is to follow the documentation and put

> define(`confRUN_AS_USER',`root:mail')

You shouldn't need that.

> define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL',`GroupReadableSASLDBFile')

That should be ok.

> in my sendmail configuration. But that's not what I want, I dont need
> *any* of the SMTP AUTH server functionality I just want to be able to
> authenticate as a client. How can I *completely* disable the rest of
> the SASL stuff?

Why? What's the problem?

You can:
- disable SMTP AUTH per daemon (DaemonPortOptions, M=A)
- disable SMTP AUTH per connection (Srv_Features, A)
- edit the source code.

For the former two see doc/op/op.* and cf/README.

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Johann

Oct 6, 2002, 6:36:08 PM10/6/02
Claus Aßmann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote in message news:<anmvod$maj$1...@zardoc.esmtp.org>...

> > define(`confRUN_AS_USER',`root:mail')
>
> You shouldn't need that.

I also find this kinda strange but when I leave it out I get

sm-mta[308]: error: safesasl(/usr/local/etc/sasldb.db) failed:
Permission denied

The security/cyrus_sasl-port installs the sasldb.db like this:
-rw-r----- 1 cyrus mail 16384 4 Okt 18:34 /usr/local/etc/sasldb.db

What's wrong here?

> > authenticate as a client. How can I *completely* disable the rest of
> > the SASL stuff?
>
> Why? What's the problem?
>
> You can:
> - disable SMTP AUTH per daemon (DaemonPortOptions, M=A)
> - disable SMTP AUTH per connection (Srv_Features, A)
> - edit the source code.
>
> For the former two see doc/op/op.* and cf/README.

OK, I tried to disable it via DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA, M=A') in my
sendmail.mc but it still tries to read sasldb.db and I get that
annoying error message when I don't have
define(`confRUN_AS_USER',`root:mail') in my configuration.
I'm just trying to run sendmail as a local MTA which relays all its
mail trough my ISPs smarthost which now requires SMTP AUTH. I
originally thought configuration would be less of a hassle if there
was a way to completely disable the server functionality of SASL which
I do not use anyway. But now I just want to know how to configure it
the "right way".

Claus Aßmann

Oct 6, 2002, 11:06:27 PM10/6/02
Johann wrote:
> Claus Aßmann

> > > authenticate as a client. How can I *completely* disable the rest of
> > > the SASL stuff?

> > Why? What's the problem?

> > You can:
> > - disable SMTP AUTH per daemon (DaemonPortOptions, M=A)
> > - disable SMTP AUTH per connection (Srv_Features, A)
> > - edit the source code.

> > For the former two see doc/op/op.* and cf/README.

> OK, I tried to disable it via DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA, M=A') in my
> sendmail.mc but it still tries to read sasldb.db and I get that
> annoying error message when I don't have
> define(`confRUN_AS_USER',`root:mail') in my configuration.
> I'm just trying to run sendmail as a local MTA which relays all its
> mail trough my ISPs smarthost which now requires SMTP AUTH. I
> originally thought configuration would be less of a hassle if there
> was a way to completely disable the server functionality of SASL which
> I do not use anyway. But now I just want to know how to configure it
> the "right way".

Use Sendmail.conf (for Cyrus-SASL) to "lie" about the location
of sasldb or change the pwcheck_method. In the former case,
sendmail will only complain at LogLevel > 10.