SMTP AUTH: bypass for certain IPs?

Mark Tranchant

Nov 17, 2003, 4:50:12 AM11/17/03
I have sendmail-8.12.10 set up with SMTP AUTH, all working fine. Users can
only send mail if they authenticate first.

As my mail server is also my web server, I'd like to be able to send
system-generated email from scripts without authenticating. At the moment,
I achieve this using the trusted users file, which is not a nice solution.

What I'd like to be able to do is allow bypassing of SMTP AUTH based on
connection IP address. The documentation suggests that a combination of
FEATURE(`delay_checks') and Connect:127.0.0.1 in the access map would allow
mail to be sent from 127.0.0.1 without authentication, but the session
always bombs out after the RCPT TO: command with 550 Authentication
required.

What combination of settings do I need to achieve IP-based exemption from
SMTP AUTH?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

Ramprasad A Padmanabhan

Nov 17, 2003, 8:13:19 AM11/17/03

in access file put relay for the ip
eg

in /etc/mail/access
127.0.0.1 relay

Your access file may be in somewhere else just check that

Ram

Mark Tranchant

Nov 17, 2003, 8:45:37 AM11/17/03
Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> Mark Tranchant wrote:

>> What I'd like to be able to do is allow bypassing of SMTP AUTH based on
>> connection IP address. The documentation suggests that a combination of
>> FEATURE(`delay_checks') and Connect:127.0.0.1 in the access map would
>> allow mail to be sent from 127.0.0.1 without authentication, but the
>> session always bombs out after the RCPT TO: command with 550
>> Authentication required.
>>
>> What combination of settings do I need to achieve IP-based exemption from
>> SMTP AUTH?

> in access file put relay for the ip

> eg
>
> in /etc/mail/access
> 127.0.0.1 relay

I already have that in the access map, as I stated in my original post. It
fails with or without the Connect prefix, bombing out after the RCPT TO is
given.

Any other suggestions?

--
Mark.

Cor Bosman

Nov 17, 2003, 8:52:33 AM11/17/03
Mark Tranchant <ma...@tranchant.plus.com> writes:

>Any other suggestions?

Check out Srv_Features. In access.db you do something like:

Srv_Features:1.2.3.4 A S # dont do SMTP AUTH and TLS

Cor

Mark Tranchant

Nov 17, 2003, 11:26:13 AM11/17/03
Cor Bosman wrote:

> Check out Srv_Features. In access.db you do something like:

> Srv_Features:1.2.3.4 A S # dont do SMTP AUTH and TLS

That's the ticket.

Connect:127.0.0.1 RELAY
Srv_Features:127.0.0.1 A

...and it works just fine.