Queueing mail at secondary MX

Henka

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
Hello all,

Some pointers to the following would be appreciated. I've had a good
look at the FAQ and the bat book, but I'm starting to stare past the
obvious I think.

We'd like to configure two MX records for a domain (domain.com), the
first pointing to a dialup with a fixed IP, the second pointing to a
mail server for queueing (which will be dequeued using ETRN when the
user dials up).

Here's the DNS rec for domain.com:
NS ns1.isp.com.
NS ns2.isp.com.
MX 5 mail.domain.com.
MX 10 mail.isp.com.

mail A 10.10.10.10
Mail sent to us...@domain.com will be sent to mail.isp.com since the user
is not dialed up, etc.

Mail destined for domain.com gets routed to mail.isp.com correctly, but
our mail.isp.com keeps refusing to queue the mail correctly. The
message from the log is: stat=Local configuration error, and it then
bounces the email back to the sender. An entry for domain.com has been
added to /etc/mail/relay-domains.

Any input would be appreciated - I'm now bleary-eyed and frustrated.

Regards
Henka

Claus Assmann

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
Henka wrote:

> Mail destined for domain.com gets routed to mail.isp.com correctly, but

> our mail.isp.com keeps refusing to queue the mail correctly. The
> message from the log is: stat=Local configuration error, and it then
> bounces the email back to the sender. An entry for domain.com has been
> added to /etc/mail/relay-domains.

99% chance of a wrong DNS configuration.
But since you don't post real data, we can't tell...

(If "mail.isp.com" doesn't know it is "mail.isp.com" then you get
this error).
--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Adam Fathauer

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
mail.isp.com should have an entry for your domain in the sendmail.cw file
(domains that he will accept mail on behalf of).

Claus Assmann

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Adam Fathauer wrote:
> mail.isp.com should have an entry for your domain in the sendmail.cw file
> (domains that he will accept mail on behalf of).

No!
Class w is for local domains. A backup MX server should NEVER have the
name of the other domains (for which it acts as backup) in class w.
They should be in class R (for Relaying).

D. Rock

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Henka <h...@cityweb.co.za> wrote:
> Hello all,

> Some pointers to the following would be appreciated. I've had a good
> look at the FAQ and the bat book, but I'm starting to stare past the
> obvious I think.

> We'd like to configure two MX records for a domain (domain.com), the
> first pointing to a dialup with a fixed IP, the second pointing to a
> mail server for queueing (which will be dequeued using ETRN when the
> user dials up).

> Here's the DNS rec for domain.com:
> NS ns1.isp.com.
> NS ns2.isp.com.

> mail A 10.10.10.10

> Mail sent to us...@domain.com will be sent to mail.isp.com since the user
> is not dialed up, etc.

> Mail destined for domain.com gets routed to mail.isp.com correctly, but

> our mail.isp.com keeps refusing to queue the mail correctly. The
> message from the log is: stat=Local configuration error, and it then
> bounces the email back to the sender. An entry for domain.com has been
> added to /etc/mail/relay-domains.

mail.isp.com. doesn't know what to do with this mail (it has received it
and seems to be the destination according to the MX entries but has no
knowledge what to do).

You should add an entry into your mailertable:
domain.com smtp:mail.domain.com
or
domain.com smtp:[mail.domain.com]

so sendmail at mail.isp.com knows it isn't the ultimate destination but has
to reroute mail to mail.domain.com.

--
Daniel

Per Hedeland

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
In article <89hi6v$ou$1...@server.rock.net> "D. Rock" <Roc...@dead-end.net>
writes:

There is no need for this with a correct MX setup (in which case
sendmail can just look at the MX records and see that there is another
MX with higher priority), and it's a Bad Idea - what happens if
domain.com change their MX records, pointing the primary somewhere other
than mail.domain.com? Will the above mailertable entry get updated? Not
automatically, that's for sure...

--Per Hedeland
p...@erix.ericsson.se