Trailing dot in the recipient address.

Sciurus

Aug 23, 2007, 9:46:29 AM8/23/07
I block mail with a trailing dot in the RCPT_TO field.
I use these rules, and they do well.
SLocal_check_rcpt
R<$+@mydomain.ru.> $#error $: "553 Trailing dot in
the recipient address."

But does it break any RFC ?

The reason of blocking is in the filter spamooborona whitelist.
Spamooborona works only for mailboxes listed in the whitelist.

So if mailbox us...@mydomain.ru is in the whitelist,
and mail is with us...@mydomain.ru. in the RCPT_TO,
spam will reach the user.

Per Hedeland

Aug 23, 2007, 6:22:17 PM8/23/07
In article <1187876789.4...@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>

Sciurus <sci...@mail.ru> writes:
>I block mail with a trailing dot in the RCPT_TO field.
>I use these rules, and they do well.
>SLocal_check_rcpt
>R<$+@mydomain.ru.> $#error $: "553 Trailing dot in
>the recipient address."
>
>But does it break any RFC ?

Not AFAIK - that is certainly not valid syntax for an email address.
Just be careful with the fact that sendmail.cf internally uses a
trailing dot to indicate "canonical domain part" - testing the RCPT
argument directly as you do should be fine, but if some standard ruleset
processing has been done you're likely to have a trailing dot on all
valid addresses (it is removed on "output" of course).

--Per Hedeland
p...@hedeland.org