SMTP-AUTH with STARTTLS on Redhat EL v3 sendmail

haha

Nov 18, 2005, 2:47:08 PM11/18/05
Hi there,

I have configured SMTP-AUTH with STARTTSL for sendmail based on
http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html
with the default sendmail and cyrus-sasl package of RedHat Enterprise
Linux AS version 3.

Current situation: email client ( for example, Outlook) users have to
check " My server requires authentication" if they want to send email
to other servers. For example, user1@email_server_A.edu can not send
email to user@email_server_B.edu UNLESS "My server requires
authentication" is checked on his Outlook ---- That is what I want!

Problem: email client (Outlook) users DO NOT have to check "My server
requires authentication", they still can send email to themselves or
send to the users on the same server. For example,
user1@email_server_A.edu can send email to user2@email_server_A.edu no
matter "My server requires authentication" is checked or not on
Outlook. ---- This should be fixed so that users HAVE TO check "My
server requires authentication" even though they want send to
themselves.

Thank you!

Jorey Bump

Nov 20, 2005, 11:42:05 AM11/20/05
"haha" <hail...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1132343228.587031.159870
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

How will they receive mail from other locations? You are asking to force
SMTP AUTH for every connection to your mail server, even when it is the
final destination for the message. It's certainly possible, but are you
prepared to issue a login/password for every server in the world that needs
to relay messages to your domain? If not, why would you place such a
restriction on your own users? As an administrator, would you be willing to
maintain a list of passwords for every mail server in the world to which
your users send messages? As you can see, when the mail server is the final
destination, its job is to deliver messages to its users, regardless of the
origin (subject to policy, of course).

Now, there *is* a use for requiring SMTP AUTH for an MSA on port 587, or on
port 25 *if the server is used only for relaying, not final delivery*. Are
you configuring an MSA or relay-only server? Note that this still will not
prevent users from delivering directly to local users on the destination
(MX) server.